Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Firestorm & Martian Manhunter are so forgettable they get completely obscured by text.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
They kept the good Martian Manhunter costume, this pleases me.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Poor J'onn. he's the Mike Wazowski of DC at this point.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

So long Kyle Rayner.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Codependent Poster posted:

So long Kyle Rayner.

I'm surprised Dick made it out of this alive.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Rhyno posted:

I'm surprised Dick made it out of this alive.

If anything he's coming back to life.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Semper Fudge posted:

Geoff Johns didn't like the New 52.
If this is true, I'm not sure pinning the quality of the relaunch he helped oversee on a 30 year old property does much to fix it!

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Edge & Christian posted:

Yes, if your checklist is "I want Wally West and Ted Kord and ______ to be in comic books", congratulations, they're back in comic books. With any luck, the same people responsible for making them go away, the people who orchestrated Ted Kord's murder, the replacement of Wally West, the erasure of his wife and kids, etc. will totally do those characters right this time.
So what's the alternative? To not have those characters, for the writers to not acknowledge these problems, and just have things go on the way they have been with no course correction? I mean you're basically presuming that no one currently headlining DC is ever going to make good choices for the story universe again so I guess everyone in charge should just fire themselves instead of trying to do better? And then bring in an all new creative-editorial team to do...the same exact thing that the current team is doing with this event?

All the while discounting the fact that there does seem to be a lot of creative team changes around a lot of books with DC Rebirth so, c'mon, I don't expect everything to be the exact same as it was at all. Heck, I can list the specific books and characters that look like it's gonna be improved from this; for one thing, the idea that Ted Kord will only appear in backgrounds when he's a main character in Giffen's new Blue Beetle book is ridiculous. Could these changes make things worse? Maybe; there's always gonna be bad writers and comics, but if that's the mindset then why read anything new at all?

That's why I keep asking about specific examples of Geoff Johns' terrible decisions in the Nu52...not "bad writing," but any examples of tacky ideas, offensive fridgings, gratuitous grimdark, gruesome shock value, character regressions, character assassinations literal or otherwise...that kind of stuff...to back up this impression y'all seem to have that he hasn't changed his lovely writing tendencies in the last five years so clearly he won't change it for this, and I hope you understand that "Well, he's CCO. He runs everything so everything is his fault!" doesn't actually answer the question very well. I think the only substantial answer so far was ImpAtom's critique of NuShazam.

Superstring posted:

Like... yes? Unless you think the ends justifies the means and it doesn't matter how they get away from the Nu52 as long as they do it. Folks here seem to be expressing themselves pretty clearly why they are skeptical based on leaks/previews and past experience.
I mean...I'm looking at some previews of "the means" right now and they don't look too bad so, yeah, the ends probably justify them.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

The full splash page with every character from rebirth has been released

Any idea who's the guy in the yellow shirt in the bottom left?

Rick Flagg or whoever that leader guy if suicide squad is my guess.

No Booster Gold. :( Why can't we have the good dynamic due back?

Luchacabra
Jun 12, 2015

I guess there was already a whole Power Rangers team of Shazams in the the New52? Because nobody mentioned them up in the upper right corner.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Luchacabra posted:

I guess there was already a whole Power Rangers team of Shazams in the the New52? Because nobody mentioned them up in the upper right corner.

That's the modern Captain Marvel/Shazam Family. I've seen panels of them before but I'm not sure where they appeared. But they're a known quantity yes.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I wrote some ad copy for a new Rebirth-era Nightwing comic:

THERE'S MORE THAN ONE BLUE DICK SWINGING AROUND THE DC UNIVERSE THIS YEAR--!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

That's the modern Captain Marvel/Shazam Family. I've seen panels of them before but I'm not sure where they appeared. But they're a known quantity yes.

Backups in Justice League 11-16 or so.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

BrianWilly posted:

So what's the alternative? To not have those characters, for the writers to not acknowledge these problems, and just have things go on the way they have been with no course correction? I mean you're basically presuming that no one currently headlining DC is ever going to make good choices for the story universe again so I guess everyone in charge should just fire themselves instead of trying to do better? And then bring in an all new creative-editorial team to do...the same exact thing that the current team is doing with this event?
Actually yeah, at some point regime change should be considered. The people running DC right now basically consolidated their power over a decade ago, and most of that decade has been a commercial, creative, and PR disappointment, often verging on disaster. They've tried all sorts of gimmicks -- a murder/rape mystery, bringing back Crisis on Infinite Earths, bringing back the Multiverse, bringing back Hal Jordan, bringing back Barry Allen, bringing back Swamp Thing, merging Milestone, merging Wildstorm, trying twice to do an Ultimate line, bringing back Dark Knight Returns, doing Watchmen sequels, and now actually integrating Watchmen into the main DC Universe. None of these (except who knows, maybe this latest one) have done much good. Creators have come and gone (mostly gone) often with abject horror stories of being lied to, interfered with, and in some cases sexually assaulted. Maybe announcing they have a really good idea this time isn't enough for some people?

quote:

That's why I keep asking about specific examples of Geoff Johns' terrible decisions in the Nu52...not "bad writing," but any examples of tacky ideas, offensive fridgings, gratuitous grimdark, gruesome shock value, character regressions, character assassinations literal or otherwise...that kind of stuff...to back up this impression y'all seem to have that he hasn't changed his lovely writing tendencies in the last five years so clearly he won't change it for this, and I hope you understand that "Well, he's CCO. He runs everything so everything is his fault!" doesn't actually answer the question very well. I think the only substantial answer so far was ImpAtom's critique of NuShazam.
"He's the chief creative officer" is actually pretty relevant to the conversation, but since you're writing that off for whatever reason: Geoff Johns is still writing bad comics in the New 52. His Justice League is often pretty tone deaf and features nonsense mash-them-toys up logic, and his Batman Earth One (which is written completely free of the constraints of the New 52) is a garbage fire that doesn't seem to understand the basic concepts of why Batman has ever worked.

But track records don't matter so who cares?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Can someone explain to me how the "Alan Moore is the villain of Final Crisis" thing works? I've never read it.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

The full splash page with every character from rebirth has been released

Any idea who's the guy in the yellow shirt in the bottom left?

:argh: GODDAMNIT DC, Where the hell is Kyle Rayner??!!!!!

Edit: TFR the way it was in Final Crisis you had these Omni beings called Judges. One for each of the 52 universes in the DC Multiverse. These judges would take care of it keep Hyperflies and other extra dementional poo poo from degrading it. One judge supposedly greatest of them all essentially succumbs to being the source of evil. And feeds on the world's. This judge is made to look like Vampire Alan Moore. It's pretty obvious when you see it, I kinda thought it was like a funny jab. And really didn't think it to be a super serious jab at Moore himself.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 05:13 on May 25, 2016

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Edge & Christian posted:

"He's the chief creative officer" is actually pretty relevant to the conversation,
Does the CCO title actually have any responsibilities at DC? When it was announced, I heard Johns was going to be doing more interaction with the movie folks, and then Green Lantern came out. I don't think he has any real responsibility for editorial, and I don't know if anyone has taken responsibility for the big event/reboot ideas that have come out.
For that matter, Didio is not EIC any more, so he should really be more out of the loop and out of the spotlight, but here we are.
It may be that DC is poorly run.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

StumblyWumbly posted:

It may be that DC is poorly run.

Well that's understatement of the year.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

X-O posted:

From Geoff Johns work on New 52 Shazam, right? Because, if so,I don't have high hopes for these characters—I mean, the last time he worked on that family of characters, he brought Isis in as a heroic entity battling the imperial, evangelical conquest of a foreign god backed by child-murdering super-technology. :whitewater:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

TFRazorsaw posted:

Can someone explain to me how the "Alan Moore is the villain of Final Crisis" thing works? I've never read it.
In the 'story' of the DCU, the blank canvass expanse of creation looked at itself and found a 'flaw'. It was walled off to prevent infection (where the Source Wall comes from) and the Monitors were sent to observe. The flaw turned out to be the multiverse, and after ages The Monitors ended up accidentally influencing the stories within it.

The Alan Moore Monitor was the 'greatest of them all' and in a fairly biblical fashion was corrupted and became a monstrosity, then cast out, after he finds that feeding on the 'Bleed' between worlds empowered him (which also caused worlds to die horribly).

FC is all about DC heroes fighting against weaponized despair. The ending is about fans moving past the Chromium Widescreen age.

It's made to be Moore in the story because the character feeds on worlds and then perverts the essence of these things to gain power. It's the source of pure darkness in the DCU, worse than even Darkseid, because it reflects the cannibalization of hope and purity and potential. The fact it's beaten back by the most epic of team ups (that includes a giant cartoon super rabbit) is a repudiation of the Mooreian habit to 'update' characters and make them realistic conflicted creations.

Morrison is all about embracing the levity and totality of the genre (which Moore's reversioning often does away with).

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 05:40 on May 25, 2016

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Rhyno posted:

Backups in Justice League 11-16 or so.

I'm down for Shazam fam. Feels like they've been gun shy with Shazam though. Probably waiting until they know what the hell they're doing with the movie.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

While we're doing DC'S Who's Who...

The green hooded lady looking at Beast Boy's butt?

Black and gold girl by Superman's crotch?

Sword and ponytail above white Wally?

Guy in blue shirt between white Wally and Huntress?

Floaty green guy behind Roy?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Heathen posted:

Don't know the first one, but the others are Omen, Bumblebee, Artemis, and Aqualad.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Heathen posted:

- Enchantress?

- Bumblebee

- Artemis

- Tempest/Aqualad/Garth

- Omen

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Die Laughing posted:

I'm down for Shazam fam. Feels like they've been gun shy with Shazam though. Probably waiting until they know what the hell they're doing with the movie.

N52 Shazam has actually been a bunch of fun. Like when he and Cyborg were chilling on the Watchtower and he used his powers to conjour poo poo to entertain himself.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
I read it and I liked it. What are you gonna do about it goons?

(In all honesty I actually did find it enjoyable, though the twist at the end is a bit much.)

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Rhyno posted:

N52 Shazam has actually been a bunch of fun. Like when he and Cyborg were chilling on the Watchtower and he used his powers to conjour poo poo to entertain himself.

That was good. Him and Damian were great.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

FilthyImp posted:

In the 'story' of the DCU, the blank canvass expanse of creation looked at itself and found a 'flaw'. It was walled off to prevent infection (where the Source Wall comes from) and the Monitors were sent to observe. The flaw turned out to be the multiverse, and after ages The Monitors ended up accidentally influencing the stories within it.

The Alan Moore Monitor was the 'greatest of them all' and in a fairly biblical fashion was corrupted and became a monstrosity, then cast out, after he finds that feeding on the 'Bleed' between worlds empowered him (which also caused worlds to die horribly).

FC is all about DC heroes fighting against weaponized despair. The ending is about fans moving past the Chromium Widescreen age.

It's made to be Moore in the story because the character feeds on worlds and then perverts the essence of these things to gain power. It's the source of pure darkness in the DCU, worse than even Darkseid, because it reflects the cannibalization of hope and purity and potential. The fact it's beaten back by the most epic of team ups (that includes a giant cartoon super rabbit) is a repudiation of the Mooreian habit to 'update' characters and make them realistic conflicted creations.

Morrison is all about embracing the levity and totality of the genre (which Moore's reversioning often does away with).

Wow.

I'm no fan of Moore but that feels like a super lovely thing to do.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

lotus circle posted:

I read it and I liked it. What are you gonna do about it goons?

(In all honesty I actually did find it enjoyable, though the twist at the end is a bit much.)

:getout:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Edge & Christian posted:

Geoff Johns is still writing bad comics in the New 52. His Justice League is often pretty tone deaf and features nonsense mash-them-toys up logic

Whoa whoa whoa I agree with many of your points but I will not have anyone knock the Batchair

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

TFRazorsaw posted:

Wow.

I'm no fan of Moore but that feels like a super lovely thing to do.

It's kinda sorta reiterating a point he made in Seven Soldiers with Zor the Terrible Time Tailor. You can even find it in Flex Mentallo. It's a condemnation of "grim for the sake of grim because that uncompromising and total approach is the only way comics can mean something" most people would here would agree with.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

ElNarez posted:

It's kinda sorta reiterating a point he made in Seven Soldiers with Zor the Terrible Time Tailor. You can even find it in Flex Mentallo. It's a condemnation of "grim for the sake of grim because that uncompromising and total approach is the only way comics can mean something" most people would here would agree with.

The problem is Alan Moore for all his faults never attempted that. Alan Moore just makes a convenient scapegoat. This shows that ultimately Dan and Johns have learned nothing.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Again, I dislike Moore, but in a lot of his works, the grimness is more than "for the sake of being grim."

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Wait...I remember all that stuff about Mandrakk representing grimdark trends, but how did everyone determine that he was an Alan Moore stand-in? Like...what about him embodies Alan Moore?

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

The problem is Alan Moore for all his faults never attempted that. Alan Moore just makes a convenient scapegoat. This shows that ultimately Dan and Johns have learned nothing.

Dan Dreiberg is a bored man-child who can only get off when he's playing superhero. And, in Watchmen, that totally makes sense, you know, it's a book, in part, about the kind of relationship we have with punch man comics, and the sexual aspect of it warrants discussion. But it's the kind of thing that only fits in Watchmen, because of this total approach Moore and Gibbons have taken.

Doing this in mainline DCU comics, as we've seen a lot, leads to lots of awkward comics about Batman's boners. Which, I don't think anyone reads Batman books for.

I don't think Johns is using Moore as a scapegoat. I think his argument is that trying to do Watchmen in our goofy comics about underpants people is trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. In Johnsian literalist terms, it's Doctor Manhattan trying to experiment by shaping a world and only creating misery. Moore is not to blame, it's just that his approach is entirely incompatible with the DCU.

Geoff Johns' comics are not comparable to Watchmen. They do not do what Watchmen did, except for the graphic violence. It's not the same thing, Geoff Johns isn't trying to question anything, he just thinks people barfing blood at one another makes for a weird, cool visual that evokes the kind of gut feeling he wants people to experience.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Mandrakk isn't Alan Moore he doesn't even have a beard for gods sake

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Still not sure whether the twist is the smartest dumb move or the dumbest smart move, but I really enjoyed Rebirth otherwise. The reunion scene between Wally and Barry especially was great.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
They don't even do a whole lot with what everyone's bitching about. An homage and a cliffhanger.

The rest of the stuff was good. It was mostly just going "ok here's this and this and this, you guys wanted that so you can have it" working towards the same narrative to set up a bunch of the new books. Might as well have been called "Wally West watches the universe right itself."

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 09:33 on May 25, 2016

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

ElNarez posted:

Doing this in mainline DCU comics, as we've seen a lot, leads to lots of awkward comics about Batman's boners. Which, I don't think anyone reads Batman books for.

I, for one, love Batman boners and am more likely to purchase a title if it features them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

BrianWilly posted:

The last few issues of Forever Evil. Fun and Wholesome!

• Locked thread