Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Turn left DC Comics! Nooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

This is why no superheroes work out of DC's New York City, it was destroyed by a psychic alien squid monster however long ago (hypertime)

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

X-O posted:

Bleeding Cool is reporting that the comic states that Dr Manhattan is the one responsible for the New 52.

I knew he was the villain in Watchmen all along.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

X-O posted:

Love that Joker!

If one of the four Jokers is Jack Nicholson it will all have been worth it.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Dexie posted:

Original white guy is leading the Titans, young black guy is a member of the Teen Titans.

...Are the Titans and the Teen Titans two different teams? Honestly lmao either way

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Are they calling White Wally 'Master Flash'

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I'm basically repeating the words "Greg Rucka Wonder Woman, Tom King Batman" over and over to myself as a mantra at this point.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

BigRed0427 posted:

Who's Tom King. I might read Snyder's Batman.

Tom King is a former CIA operative who wrote the extremely excellent Grayson and Omega Men series starting in the DC You push. He's taking over the main Batman title in Rebirth.

IMO he is a better writer than Snyder and I am really eager to see what he does with Batman.

bobkatt013 posted:

Yes they have been different people since the 90s. Donna Troy is the one with the clusterfuck origin and wonder girl is the one from new justice and dated Superboy.

Wait, is Cassie still Wonder Girl in new52?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I'm more excited about Tom King because he hasn't written very much but everything he's written has been just great, so every new character he gets ahold of is pure uncharted territory but almost guaranteed to be good. I like Snyder and Morrison but I kind of know what I'm getting into with them at this point.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Alan Moore is either going to have a coronary and die or laugh for five hours straight when he hears this

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

If the Watchmen angle is just Dr. Manhattan creating their universe, how is it that Batman found the Comedian's button (with iconic bloodstain intact, of course)? Did Dr. Manhattan just like drop it there, so maybe eventually someone could learn The Truth? Did Dr. Manhattan recreate the characters from Watchmen on this world or something?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Mr Hootington posted:

It looks like it is pointing out that the DCU was transformed by the Watchmen but now they know and it will not happen anymore. Hence Batman saying "We were being watched."

But how is anybody but Dr. Manhattan able to 'watch' another universe like that, let alone transform it. He was literally the only dude in there with superpowers.

Toxxupation posted:

Apparently Dr. M kills Pandora. If I were to guess she leaves the button as a hint to Batman of who killed her or something?

I want this to be resolved by Batman pulling out a trade paperback of Watchmen and flipping through the pages until he sees the button.

"A-ha!" he says to no one in particular. "I knew I had seen this somewhere before!"

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

catlord posted:

I honestly am having a hard time seeing this as anything other than DiDio feeling suicidal and deciding to go out by insane British writer-wizard. This is insanely dumb and I am fascinated. I mean, I want them to just leave Watchmen alone, but I also want to see where this rabbit-hole of idiocy goes, so I'm conflicted. I'll give it a little slack if they just go "yeah, gently caress it, Dr. Manhattan dick in Justice League."

What if every panel has it hilariously obscured by phallic objects. Literally Austin Powers but with a glowing blue god who's talking to Superman or whatever.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

BrianWilly posted:

It's me. I'm the target audience for this. I'm to blame. And I can't wait for this. :allears:

(Only other thing that's kinda annoying me is this whole Wonder Woman having a secret twin brother thing. Not with the idea itself, but didn't we just go through this whole secret sibling drama thing with Azzarello...like, a lot? With a whole boatload of her secret brothers? I hope this isn't some huge aspect of Rucka's arc.)

I don't think you need to use spoiler tags in this thread.

They're teasing it being Jason of the Argonauts fame but I'm hoping it turns out to be Jason of Camp Crystal Lake fame.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I mean, he's not wrong that the general creative trend of the last three decades has been building off of Alan Moore and Frank Miller's work without really understanding why it was so groundbreaking in the first place. Watchmen and DKR are two works that could not have existed without years of the Golden and Silver Age stories that everyone thinks are dumb and cheesy now. By imitating the outer layers of Watchmen and DKR without paying attention to the spirit of them DC has created a landscape where they could never be written. No amount of rape and arms getting ripped off is going to make the mainline DC books as significant to the medium as Moore's stuff from the 80s but that's not going to stop DC from chasing that dragon.

Which makes Geoff Johns going on and on about how he's going to make the movies more positive and uplifting and bring inspiration back to the main DC comics line all the more hilarious.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

It'd be more encouraging if he'd admit that he was one of the creators who grossly misunderstood Watchmen and that he's gonna try to do better now. Although he's not writing any comics after this anyway, so it might not make much of a difference.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

BrianWilly posted:

Okay so the extent of Johns' grimness in the Nu52 is making some really evil villains. Gotcha.
That was pre-Nu52. I know all about Johns' penchant for absurd graphic grimdark that's not nearly as cool as Johns thinks it is, but I'm just asking if there's been anything approaching that kind of poo poo since the Flashpoint reboot, because someone literally just asked "Didn't Johns have a leading role in creating the nu52?"

His role as the person actually writing the scripts and his role as chief creative executive or whatever get a little muddy. He tends to work on the big, line-wide crossovers that mess with reality every couple of years, which are also editorially mandated most of the time, so it's difficult to say exactly how much of the New 52 status quo owes to either him or DiDio, and it's also difficult to say how much the five years of stories that have come since then have John's fingerprints on them vs. DiDio's, or the individual group editors. The New 52 is overflowing with horror stories of creators being told how to create, driven off by meddling editors, having their work changed after they had turned it in, etc. and I'm not saying it's fair to lay all the blame on Johns but he is along with DiDio and Jim Lee one of the major driving forces behind the overall direction and tone of the company.

And the stuff that came before the New 52 is absolutely relevant as that was the stuff that got Johns the power he's had at DC the last decade or so, which he wouldn't have been tapped for a "leading role" in creating the new continuity to begin with. People saw Blackest Night and thought "This is the guy we want".

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Fangz posted:

I like the idea that Batman's ultimate shameful secret is that he turns out to be a lovely rip off of Nite Owl.

Can it be canon that Nite Owl has been fighting the Court of Bats back on Watchmen-earth while Manhattan has been screwing around in space?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Rhyno posted:

The only thing that will force DC to do something new is a top to bottom shakeup of the editorial and management. Fire every one of them and bring in new people.

DC, I am available, just FYI. I will work cheap.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

They would have to specifically gently caress something up about Batman for it to hurt their sales enough for WB to give a poo poo

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

BrianWilly posted:

If the Legion is coming back, that'd be a pretty reasonable spot to park them for a while.

Bart Allen might get me to give a poo poo about the Legion, ever.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Wanderer posted:

Now there's a metaphor that snapped its tethers and killed a handler.

That was a metaphor so tortured he is being tried for Geneva convention violations.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

More than that, he's blaming every writer who isn't him, because apparently he's a champion of optimism in the face of all those cynical grimdark writers, starting with Alan Moore. It's a good line and it's what a lot of people wanted to hear but it falls apart if you pay attention to anything DC and Johns in particular are famous/infamous for since 2010 or so.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

CapnAndy posted:

It ain't my car they've been crashing.

Do we really need the metaphors, though? DC published lovely comics for a long time, so I stopped buying their lovely comics. Now they are putting out a comic that says "hey we've been putting out lovely comics for a long time, this is an apology for that". I'm willing to accept their apology and see if they put out comics that aren't lovely now. If they do, I walk away again. All they've won from me is a chance to prove they're not poo poo now, but my bar for getting to even that was really high, so for now, I'm just pleased they managed to clear it.

I mean, that's cool, and I do think a lot of the Rebirth stuff looks great, but for some of us that bar is a little higher, because it's the same people who published lovely comics for so long that you stopped reading them.

The month-to-month stories will be the true test, if they can stop having people rip arms off, murder dozens of children, and having Batman tell his son it's OK to murder people sometimes, and maybe not feel the need to relaunch everything in six months.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Also they are symbolically overcoming the grimdark of new 52 by having a woman murdered, and that is so hilariously DC Comics I might actually die

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Like I said before, it's difficult to say exactly what is Johns fault vs. Didio vs. Jim Lee especially since you've got Johns as a writer on some books and Johns as chief creative executive or whatever his title is. I tend to dislike Didio and Lee more for setting the editorial and visual tone of DC for so long but the three of them are all basically in cahoots here. Johns is getting singled out because Didio and Lee didn't just do a bunch of interviews talking about how they were going to fix DC ignoring that they're the ones that broke it in the first place.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Dreqqus posted:

All of my friends that have seen the news so far are planning on it. Geoff Johns refund check collector's item of the year?

It won't be a collector's item if everyone has one. The actual book might be rarer.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Rhyno posted:

I'm surprised Dick made it out of this alive.

If anything he's coming back to life.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Dreqqus posted:

Read rebirth. It's bad.

I'll freely admit that I may be reading too much into it, but it the, I don't know, almost workman/checklist like fashion in which the begrudgingly put everything back they way you want it read more to me like the work of a sulking child. Right down to the need to break something else on the way to their rooms.

When this doesn't magically save DC from creeping sales irrelevance it will be used to justify an even more extreme reboot a year from now.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Personally I am more optimistic about the comics being good, or at least not actively terrible, than about a sloppy in-universe explanation as to why everyone was getting raped and dismembered for the last decade. Just stop writing stories where that happens, I don't need to read a comic trying to explain lovely decisions from the real world. Just make better decisions now. What DC needs more than anything right now is a few years of just making comics, without huge rebranding and restructuring initiatives. I think the creators and the fans need stability more than anything.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Norns posted:

How soon till people say this ruins Watchmen for them?

Has already happened, in this very thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Robot Hobo posted:

All the geeks and comic nerds will look up and shout "DC has ruined The Watchmen!"... and I'll look down and whisper "Watchmen refers to the name of the graphic novel, and the group of heroes in the story is referred to as the Minutemen. The Watchmen is not the appropriate name in either case. "

• Locked thread