Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

naem
May 29, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

I have absolutely no idea what they are talking about. You already have 'Enterprise'. Like are you going to do a movie about WW3?

Cookie Cutter posted:

Continuing their total commitment to never filming anything that builds on 90s trek and instead picking apart the past, over and over again... eeh.

Enterprise and DS9 both just seem to not exist to the studios beyond a couple quick references and a cameo here or there it’s infuriating

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

galagazombie posted:

Eagerly awaiting the Star Trek origin story that is just a documentary of the present day.

I'm looking forward to seeing the integral part Elon Musk plays in introducing mankind to the stars

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Current timeline origin story has to follow the Time Cops. They're the ones who keep the timeline in check, and I bet they're not all that innocent about changing the timeline for the results they want vs. what was actually supposed to be.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

The General posted:

Current timeline origin story has to follow the Time Cops. They're the ones who keep the timeline in check, and I bet they're not all that innocent about changing the timeline for the results they want vs. what was actually supposed to be.

Year of Hell was such a good two parter

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

The General posted:

I think the time cops should all be at consoles talking to each other while trying to remember how "canon" events went.

"Was Data speckled...?"
"He's gold, isn't he?"

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

galagazombie posted:

Eagerly awaiting the Star Trek origin story that is just a documentary of the present day.

Season 2 of Picard was the worst season. Truly an accomplishment, in a way.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Do people know this is his entire name? Like wikipedia'd for context and:
Siddig El Tahir El Fadil El Siddig Abdurrahman Mohammed Ahmed Abdel Karim El Mahdi

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Brawnfire posted:

I'm looking forward to seeing the integral part Elon Musk plays in introducing mankind to the stars

Much in the way House of Gucci inspired me to leave the continent, Musk will say something so cringeworthy that all mankind will flee to the stars.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Internet Old One posted:

Do people know this is his entire name? Like wikipedia'd for context and:
Siddig El Tahir El Fadil El Siddig Abdurrahman Mohammed Ahmed Abdel Karim El Mahdi
yeah it's just kind of how islamic names work. it gives his paternal lineage back to a famous ancestor, mohammed ahmed the mahdi.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Isn't he also pretty closely related to Assad?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

He plays a doctor in Star Trek Deep Space Nine

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Dabir posted:

Isn't he also pretty closely related to Assad?

Ancestry with Assad having motherfucker

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

he played one once on tv but as far as i know that's it.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

a few weeks ago i had to do a double take when he showed up as khalid sheikh mohammad in a german tv movie i was watching about the 9/11 hijackers. i had no idea he was in it until then.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Brawnfire posted:

I think the time cops should all be at consoles talking to each other while trying to remember how "canon" events went.

"Was Data speckled...?"
"He's gold, isn't he?"

Just reminds me of the same question getting asked verbatim in Stargate SG-1 ("Didn't you used to be gold?") and Teal'c looking all meek and embarrassed about it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Space Jam posted:

a few weeks ago i had to do a double take when he showed up as khalid sheikh mohammad in a german tv movie i was watching about the 9/11 hijackers. i had no idea he was in it until then.

He's talked about how the roles he would get auditioned for quite dramatically changed after September 11. Before that, he'd get called up largely as a british man. After that, all arabic.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Mar 28, 2024

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

MikeJF posted:

He's talked about how the roles he would get auditioned for quite dramatically changed after September 11. Before that, he'd get called up largely as a british man. After that, all arabic.

I guess Hollywood ran out of Indians to cast as Arabs.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Brawnfire posted:

Isn't... the origin story "this is our future"?

That's a terrible origin story, you'll never make Brand Awareness Content Manager for Phase 17 at this rate!

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Powered Descent posted:

Render unto Sela that which is Sela's.

Giving me flashbacks to Simpsons Psalmposting

Selah.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I swear every scene where Bashir is trying to be charming and sexy makes my skin crawl. Like he found an ancient copy of The Game and really got into it.

naem
May 29, 2011

TheKingslayer posted:

I swear every scene where Bashir is trying to be charming and sexy makes my skin crawl. Like he found an ancient copy of The Game and really got into it.

the fact that he mostly fails at picking up women is a really good send up of the star trek ladies man trope, and he grows as a character from the experience

as is Nurse Chapel in SNW who is the one picking up on and dumping dudes in SNW. It’s a fun reversal

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Endless Trash posted:

Star Trek Picard builds on 90s Trek and look how that turned out

Counter point: Lower Decks and Prodigy also build on 90s Trek and they turned out amazing. Picard's failure to do the same is purely a skill issue.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

PIC certainly doesn't build on the 90s look. The insides of ships are dark, reflective, uncomfortable angular spaces and the exterior designs are weirdass takes on movie era designs. And it definitely doesn't build on the 90s tone.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MikeJF posted:

PIC certainly doesn't build on the 90s look. The insides of ships are dark, reflective, uncomfortable angular spaces and the exterior designs are weirdass takes on movie era designs. And it definitely doesn't build on the 90s tone.

Season 1 wants to be a sequel to Nemesis, Season 2 wants to be a sequel to First Contact, and Season 3 wants to be a sequel to TNG as a whole, and all of them completely misunderstand their self-given assignments because no one involved from Chabon to Matalas on down understood their chosen source material.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Previous Star Treks portrayed humans (from Earth at least) to be enlightened bubbly root beer lovers but in the Picard show everyone acts like an rear end in a top hat from the year 2020. Just doesn't feel like a Star Trek. A double dumbass on the writers, I say.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Note this complaint doesn't apply to season 2 when they're actually in 2020 and surrounded by assholes from 2020.

naem
May 29, 2011

Picard must be in the mirror universe it’s the only thing that makes sense

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
The only logical explanation for Picard is that we are in an Argrathi mind prison, being punished for a crime we're somehow unaware of.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Nigmaetcetera posted:

The only logical explanation for Picard is that we are in an Argrathi mind prison, being punished for a crime we're somehow unaware of.

me when Star Trek Legacy is announced:

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Did they at some point just stop painting Leonard Nemoy green after realizing it wasn’t showing up on TVs in the 60s anyway? He doesn’t look green in the movies to me

LookieLoo
Feb 10, 2011

They painted him green? Lmao

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

LookieLoo posted:

They painted him green? Lmao

It’s subtle but yeah Spock is green. I never noticed till I got the blurays

Edit: I also went like 30 years not noticing that Troi’s eyes were black

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

I read that the producers originally wanted to paint Data very deep blue, but it was an absolute maintenance nightmare with his original red uniform. (or other way around, don't remember anymore)

Then they switched him to gold-yellow, and small flakes getting loose into mustard yellow-colored uniform wasn't that much of an issue.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Gutcruncher posted:

It’s subtle but yeah Spock is green. I never noticed till I got the blurays

Basically where they'd use red tinted blush on everyone else (white actors, anyway) they used green tinted blush on him. And I think they had a faintly yellow base makeup to tint his skin all over.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Mar 28, 2024

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Der Kyhe posted:

I read that the producers originally wanted to paint Data very deep blue, but it was an absolute maintenance nightmare with his original red uniform. (or other way around, don't remember anymore)

Then they switched him to gold-yellow, and small flakes getting loose into mustard yellow-colored uniform wasn't that much of an issue.

Data: Dr. Soong allowed me to select the coloration of my body. I selected cobalt blue with gold trim. It is, as I have heard humans put it, "sick".

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

MikeJF posted:

Basically where they'd use red tinted blush on everyone else (white actors, anyway) they used green tinted blush on him. And I think they had a faintly yellow base makeup to tint his skin all over.

But did they give up on that for the movies? He never looks green to me in those

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Spock looks jaundiced more than green, but it's supposed to be because Vulcan blood is green so if they go flush it wouldn't be pink

Gutcruncher posted:

But did they give up on that for the movies? He never looks green to me in those

It's WAY more subtle in the movies but it's there in Star Trek 4 - and Star Trek 3 teenager Spock seems greenish

Edit: you can see it here in this screen cap with busted levels especially side by side with Kirk

Compared with them out of makeup as older men

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Mar 28, 2024

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

That's fine. I guess you're just losers then.

I really wish they could do a multiverse thing and get every Kirk together for something while they still can.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Every Kirk vs every Kahn in a battle royale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

the sparing use of Kirk in SNW has been good so far

it’s the idea of Kirk as a character instead of captain charisma since that role is filled by Pike

too much Kirk on SNW could be problematic and the portrayal of “here are some personality traits of that character we know will be important some day” has been great