Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Ronald Moore tells us about Voyager.

http://www.lcarscom.net/rdm1000118.htm

quote:

In addition, Moore is bothered by the show’s lack of continuity. "The continuity of the show is completely haphazard. It’s haphazard by design. It’s not like they are trying desperately to maintain continuity of the show. They don’t care, and they’ll tell you flat out that they don’t care. Well, that is misreading the core audience. The STAR TREK, hardcore audience loves continuity; they love accumulating data on these ships. They love knitting together all the little pieces, and compiling lists, and doing trivia. That’s been a staple of the STAR TREK culture from the get-go. People really love the details. They love the fact that the details all add up and make one mosaic, and that the universe holds together. When you don’t give a poo poo, you’re telling the audience: don’t bother. Don’t bother to really learn this stuff, because it’s not going to matter next week, anything that happened this week."

The writer-producers of VOYAGER maintain that they don’t want continuity, so people can watch the shows out of order, for example, now in five-nights-a-week syndication. Says Moore, "I’ve just never believed that argument, because it seems to me that you’re just underestimating the intelligence of the audience. You’re just saying the audience is a bunch of idiots. Who is going to be watching the show in strip syndication five nights a week? People that like that show, and presumably have watched more than one show. Got forbid the stations have to run them in order. It’s an excuse that sounds plausible but is basically a way for them not to have to care about maintaining continuity, because it is tough to maintain continuity. It’s very hard to write in continuity, because of the nature of television. You are writing ahead, and you are writing at the moment, and you are changing things in post. It’s really hard to keep all the ducks in a row, which we found at DEEP SPACE NINE. In that last ten-episode run, where it was almost completely serialized, that’s a tough act to carry off. But it’s also worth the effort, because the payoff is the world has more validity. The audience can sense there is truth in it. It’s a better show, and it will last longer as a result. If you are really just so concerned that this week’s episode won’t make sense because you didn’t see that episode three years ago, why can’t STAR TREK do like ALLY MCBEAL, or THE PRACTICE, or ER, all the big successful shows do. Put a little recap at the top of the show: ‘Previously, on STAR TREK: VOYAGER...’—even if it’s an episode from two years ago. You just quickly get the audience up to speed, because the audience is not stupid. The audience has watched television for a long time. They understand that they have missed some things, that perhaps this is a reference to a show that they didn’t see. They aren’t just going to throw up their hands and move on. If you are pre-supposing that, you are aiming towards the person that is grabbing a beer, and isn’t really paying attention, and is walking out of the room every ten minutes and coming back and sitting down; all you are going to do is dumb down the show. You are reducing it to its lowest common denominator, and what’s the point of that? What do you get out of that? You just get a so-so kind of television experience."

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 18:32 on May 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Hammerite posted:

One of the tv channels here is showing season 1 of TNG at the moment and its funny how they spent the whole time playing Ferengi up as dangerous and mysterious and so forth, when by the time of DS9 they are the comic relief

Fun fact: Armin Shimmerman plays at least two different Ferengi in early TNG.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Tectonis posted:

In Future's End they go back in time and it's explicitly stated that the only reason the microprocessor revolution happened was because that douche CEO got his hands on the time ship. So how could the microprocessor have also been invented when it was in JJTrek if, in order for the time ship to go back to 20th century Earth, Voyager needed to both exist and be stranded in the Delta Quadrant to kick off the string of events in the first place.
:psylon:

The Sphinxster posted:

Every time travel story is poo poo

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Voyager has many quality episodes

Tuvix

Wormtongue is a murderer

Harry Kim destroyed the ship

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

vyst posted:

Harry Kim is probably the worst engineer of any star trek ship.

That's because he's not an engineer.

Ok you changed the post. May I offer counterpoint: half the crew of Enterprise (the show).

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Not really, the producers just couldn't decide on how her character should be written, and instead of getting all the writers and producers together and hammering out a consensus they just all went off and wrote her the way they individually wanted to.

This applies to not only Janeway but like half the things in the show.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

rocket_man38 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyF-ik2Cteg This never gets old, Beltran hated this loving show.

Gonna have to watch this later. I read a text transcript of one of his interviews and I wonder if this is it. He talked about basically just phoning in all of his performances past a certain point because none of the writers or anyone else gave a gently caress so he didn't either.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Enterprise Cumstained Jumpsuit

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

criscodisco posted:

Yeah, it's not like Geordi wrote the line "when you're touching the engines, you're touching me" line. That was all the pervy computer.

I think the real story here is that the computer loves Geordi and was living that love vicariously through a human-form hologram.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I would be a professional restaurant patron.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Blistex posted:

(the Psycho-Killer and the doctor)

You mean Wormtongue.

I feel like this detail should always be pointed out.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

The General posted:

Why are drugs bad?

Tasha says drugs make you feel good but when the drugs wear off you feel bad and that's why drugs are bad.

A Vulcan would say that logically you should be on drugs always then.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Typical Pubbie posted:

I had a crush on Nurse Ogawa. :allears:

"Do you want to know why I use a hypospray? Phasers are too quick. You can't savor all the... little emotions. In... you see, in their last moments, people show you who they really are. So in a way, I know your friends better than you ever did. Would you like to know which of them were cowards?"

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

lmao at this whole thing.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
For Sulu getting drunk and banging a cat girl was definitely the only time he was ever confused about his sexuality.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Good to see Star Trek isn't missing out on the fad of lovely mobile games.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Fat Shat Sings posted:

Oh they jumped right in there. To save an exhaustive explanation of a dumbass game, the short version is that you pay money for better characters. You start with lovely ones that can't do much but can roll for Nagus Rom or Commando Janeway or some poo poo that have high stats in certain areas.

BUT to level them up you need special items from special missions you can only run so many times (unless you pay money) AND you can increase their quality, but only if you have more of the same character (which cost money.) To effectively run all the missions to level your characters you need even more characters with different stats.

Aside from all of that there is zero actual gameplay, you just click "Complete mission." 100% of the gameplay is leveling up the various characters.

So of course that's why people have like $400 six star Grand Nagus Roms and poo poo.

Thanks for the breakdown but "it is a mobile game" would have sufficed.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

FilthyImp posted:

There's some ripe DADoES territory there if you can just replicate an aged classic book or garment or whatever vs. actually owning a 1960s edition of The Great Gatsby .

"Computer, replicate a PLayStation, television, and the original release of Final Fantasy VII on compact game disk"

The space Poors probably just rent out holosuite time and virtually replicate that poo poo.

*Television materializes on bare floor*

Space Poor: "Computer, place the television on top of a table"

Computer: "Please state desired table configuration"

Space Poor: "Uh, metal I guess?"

*horrific spiked torture slab materializes*

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The writer's really had it out for Geordi's love life.

Also Sonya Gomez was a fine looking strumpet.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Big Mean Jerk posted:

A magic room with the ability to create anything, so long as it's a public domain book or a simulation where you order your coworkers to sacrifice themselves

It's the perfect synthesis of future technology and future copyright law.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Insurrection is weird in that it's not actually bad necessarily, but there is no reason for it to be it's own film. It's just a normal episode of the show but it takes twice as long to play out and has higher production values.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

A classic.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Wasn't Naomi a literal child?

AATrek re-reg account spotted.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Tectonis posted:

She was another of those fast aging species that Neelix loved :aatrek:

Yeah well Space Science aside sure Kes was played by an adult actress, but Naomi was an honest to goodness child played by a child onscreen.

I do not like this.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Big Mean Jerk posted:

But what if the planet they save grows up to be the next Hitler planet?

I just watched this episode last night with fake time traveling professor. Picard verbally bitch slaps him for using that stupid argument.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Hector Beerlioz posted:

I taped that episode on vhs back when Spike tv was TNN.

Now this is some Trek cred.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

criscodisco posted:

Realistically the first civilization to invent warp travel would rule the rest of the galaxy anyway.

Maybe it was first invented by some idiot pacifists who gave it away to everyone else and are all dead now.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
High as gently caress on warp particles.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Sunswipe posted:

As for the Borg thing: why assume the Borg were specifically going to Earth? Why can't they be doing the same thing Starfleet is: sending ships out to see what's out there?

Because then the audience knows it's real important!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Iron Crowned posted:

I thought that's what the Borg did, except they just take everything and make it Bork too

Exactly what the Borg do seems to change with the whims of the series/writers. In TNG the Borg basically don't give a gently caress about you if your technology/biology isn't interesting and probably wouldn't bother to assimilate you. Then in Voyager then queen/hive mind or whatever is like straight up "we need more organisms, go to this planet and harvest" with the strong impression that they just want more bodies instead of anything interesting at that location.

Probably the only time that Voyager was more :black101: than the other shows.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

plushpuffin posted:

Just admit that you're a Maquis sympathizer.

You beat me to a Mr. Eddington joke.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Roylicious posted:

I seem to remember Q tripping about Guinan and telling Picard her people were super dangerous or something... did anything ever come of that?

Nothing at all.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

shadow puppet of a posted:

Computer: Desire Increased to 0.000000 units.

:eyepop:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

FrensaGeran posted:

Haha Dark Matter is absolute garbage and I totally recommend it here in the Voyager thread.

Why is everyone (or is just goons) hating on Dark Matter so much? I mean it's not high art but it's decent Sci-fi. I liked the first season.

WWheaton was kinda funny though.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Everyone's open disdain for the show is pretty funny.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Yeah I bet Star Trek: Voyager was real popular in the trailer parks.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I don't know about strobe messages but I thought that was one of the show's Actually Good episodes.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Baronjutter posted:

Those fluidic space aliens were kinda cool but then they turned them into dumb shape shifters that just needed to better understand humanity.

Hmm can't believe that Voyager had an interesting premise for something and then didn't go anywhere cool with it.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Apollodorus posted:

Well, he already knows what YOU look like naked.

I heard this in my head in his voice so clearly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Germstore posted:

Al Bundy had a nice house with a poo poo job because he bought it in the 70s when average people could actually own decent houses.

Pretty crazy in retrospect.