Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Blistex posted:

There was no reason for the Klingons to speak Klingon after the first 5 minutes. They could have done a "Red October" and called it quits and I wouldn't have to listen to people pretending they are making cow grunts while constipated.

Who was that even for? The few hundred nerds who've learned klingon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

MA-Horus posted:

Guys

The Orville is awesome, I'm absolutely shocked at how much I like it

Same. I was expecting "star trek but incompetent" be a funny one off maybe, but not have legs for a series. But honestly, they are making the super-competent, super-rational humans from TNG look fake as hell in retrospect. A 24 year old kid has a senior position due to organizational politics is absurd, but also something you can totally see happening in the real world. It's like "The Office" In Spaaace.

And in retrospect you can almost see The Orville in the TNG universe. The Enterprise is the flagship of the fleet, so of course they get the best staff available. The Orville is just another generic mid-size ship in a fleet that has hundreds of them, so they get the scraps.

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Was I the only guy hoping that the twist of the episode was going to be 50% of Moclans are born with the birth defect of being female, and the whole single-gender thing was a lie they told because of their overwhelming cultural veneration of masculinity and hatred of femininity? I was actually surprised when that’s not what happened.

Yeah, that seemed like the obvious outcome. Especially since it is supposed to be this super rare thing that happens once in 75 years, but the baby, one of her dads, and that random mountain philosopher were all born female.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I think that would have been a dumb twist because there's no way it could be kept under wraps if that were the case if any Moclans went to any non Moclan doctors with any frequency. The fact that female Moclans are actually extremely rare made their recognition both more of a lost cause and more in need of defenders.

There are a few ways it could go. It could be at some point in the past they were 50% female. Industrial pollution caused masculinization (the same way our own pollution is turning frogs gay or whatever). Then at some point less than 10% of babies were born female and they just decided that was the birth defect, not the masculinization, because their society and adapted and eroded the traditional female roles.

Or maybe a while back they did genetic engineering on their own species to make everyone a big burly male. It also made males able to produce eggs. Give everyone all the advantages of being a male, plus the one advantage of females, and make the species stronger. The occasional female would be a throwback. Probably more common than once every 75 years, but they just don't talk about that.

If they'd always been 99.99% male it would be weird to consider themselves male at all. They would just be unisexual. The once in 75 years birth defect wouldn't be described as female, it would just be a weird chromosomal abnormality leading to genital deformities.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

On rotten tomatoes STD is rated 81% while Orville is 20%. WTF? I guess critics really love shiney klingons?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Third episode of Discovery is better. Except for the shuttles. WTF is going on with the green screen or CGI or whatever in the shuttles? I guess they wanted to have cool space windows but the effect was terrible. Just make a windowless shuttle out of plywood, at least it would look like they were really inside a shuttle rather a bad photoshop.

Mondian posted:

It was super jarring seeing how poorly that starfleet security officer treated the prisoners. There are hundreds of hours of recorded Star Trek productions including scenes where they hold absolute power over their worst enemies and we never see them acting like that.

Feels weird.

The captain sets the tone of the ship, and this captain isn't hugs and rainbows. Besides this is set 10 years before the original series, so we should compare their morality to that of Kirk and crew, not TNG or DS9.

That whole scene was weird though. Why unshackle them and then call them names? If you're going to be mean, might as well leave the handcuffs on until they get to the brig. I guess it was part of the 'test' to see if Michael would try something if she was free? But they still had phaser rifles so you'd have to be an idiot to try anything.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

By Kirk's time they figured out the problem: just have all the female crew wear miniskirts and everyone is much happier!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Some women didn't like it and a bunch quit, including nearly every female senior officer, but other than that everyone was really happy.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Zzulu posted:

But the Torchbearer attacked her

was she supposed to let him kill her

• She landed on the artifact when she was only supposed to do a drive by.

• Remained on the artifact when it began to react, showing that it was not inert.

• Let a loving klingon sneak up behind her. That's just terrible situational awareness.

• Killed the Torchbearer who attacked because she violated their artifact.

• Committed mutiny because she thought she knew better than her superior officers. Possibly distracting them during the critical moment when other action could have been taken.

• Locked weapons on the Klingon ship. No one in the federation got to see what was going on in the klingon ship before that, so it looks like provocation.

• Got her captain killed.

• Failed to complete the objective her captain died for.

• Failed to pull out some heroic technobabble bullshit at the last minute to fix everything.

Just the mutiny is enough to turn Starfleet against her. Being a mutineer at the site of a battle and diplomatic catastrophe is enough for everyone else in the federation to scapegoat her as the reason everything went wrong.

Sure, the klingons probably destroyed the nearby space station. At any time in the previous 50 years the klingons could simply have mentioned that they had an important cultural relic there and the Federation probably would have given them the system. The klingons at the relic could have communicated with the ship when they arrived, but didn't because those klingons were actively hoping to incite a war to reunite their fractured empire.

High ranking members of the federation who looked into it and read the reports have probably figured out that Michael didn't cause the war. So what? She is guilty of mutiny and reckless behavior. Why would they bother doing a big public information campaign to explain that while she is a reckless criminal she probably isn't responsible for the war and the 8k dead? Mistakes were made and people are dead. Michael is the highest ranking surviving officer from the ship that screwed the pooch. An orphan who is going to spend the rest of her life in prison for mutiny is a good scapegoat for public anger.

Michael doesn't bother trying to defend herself or explain what happened to random people because she's still grieving and probably does feel responsible for what happened, because she failed to find a way to stop it. And since she's a convicted felon the federation isn't going to force her into counseling to deal with her survivor guilt.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I wonder how they'll eventually bury the magic spores? Does it work but Section 31 buries it because it is an uncontrollable threat? Does it turn out that occasionally spiralizing the crew is an inevitable side effect? Does it let monsters from another dimension teleport in?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

angerbeet posted:

Not a fan of Chief Engineer Sassypants though, that's gonna get old quick

Yeah, he was a little odd. When you see a guy at work and within a minute think, "oh, right, they said this show would have a gay character. This must be the gay character." it's not a great sign.

The first few episodes of a new star trek are always a bit wooden and dumb until the cast gels. The first season of TNG had some real stinkers.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Monkey Fracas posted:

Ugh I kind of don't want to have to sign up for CBS's stupid streaming service but how will I be able to complain about Star Trek on the internet if I don't??

Scour youtube for trailers and clips. Stitch them together and you should be able to get the gist of the episode.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I love that the android on the Orville is obviously just a guy in a shiny silver jumpsuit. You can clearly see the 'metal' fabric bunching up around his joints as he walks. Oldschool as heck.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

They claim to be androids, but in the third season we find out they are just huge fans of Daft Punk.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Putting a time travel paradox in the 5th episode was a bold move. Maybe dumb too. Those things never resolve cleanly.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Was kinda left wondering if the point of the episode was to let Seth Macfarlane smooch Charlize Theron.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Agreed. It's a situation that anyone who sees it is gonna say something. Plus it's the pilot, and the series proper drops the extraneous visual comedy for just straight Star Trek-style stories.

The TNG bridge crew probably wouldn't have mentioned it, they'd just exchange amused glances. Because they were so enlightened they were barely human anymore.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

NotWearingPants posted:

I saw one episode of the Orville and two episodes of the new Star Trek and my hot take is that the new Star Trek was better.

If you like TNG era star trek give Orville another shot. It takes a couple episodes to find its groove, but then it is good. They could be in the same universe, almost. The Enterprise as the flagship of the fleet with all the most capable officers, and the Orville as just another a midsize whatever ship with average people working on it. A ship full of Reginald Barclays.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Do you think STD klingons are naturally hairless, or is it a fashion trend?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Do you think anyone at paramount or whatever considered what the acronym would be before they named STD?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Tempo 119 posted:

They did this for the 7th series but most of the rest was performed live

Wait, that would mean it was filmed on a soundstage with real sets? I assumed that was just how the basement corridors of the BBC looked in real life.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

shadow puppet of a posted:

Because Captain Lorca is as exciting as a stale rye bread.

Lorca's light sensitivity gimmick is dumb as hell. Oh yeah we need to keep all the rooms dimly lit and only bring up the lights slowly to accommodate the captain's disability. Uh, hello, sun glasses?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Captain "Ow my eyes!" Lorca is going to be screwed in 10 years when all the ship interiors look like this:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Mister Facetious posted:

Except that future no longer exists, thanks to Robert "9/11 was an inside job," Orci.

I'm just kvetching because setting it 10 years before TOS was so dumb.

So far everything in the show would have worked just as well 10 years, 20 years, even 50 years after the Dominion War. The Federation, Klingons, Cardassians and Romulans were all severely weakened by the war, reducing their ability to project military power on the edges of their empires for years, which could allow some second string empires like the Breen to gain ground and become a bigger threat. The defensive alliances are breaking down, the klingons have a whole generation of young warriors who never got to fight side by side humans and Romulans against a common enemy and don't like them. The Federation itself would have more people sympathetic to Section 31 values since the war shattered their sense of security (9/11 analog there) and it is struggling to not lose its core values. New technology like mushroom teleporters and new aliens would totally make sense in a father future setting.

What does being in the TOS era get them? I guess some nostalgia where we can see a younger Harry Mudd. But a post-Dominion war setting could have nostalgia in the form of cameos by old TNG, DS9, and Voyager characters showing up.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

The only problem I see with that is that Federation tech was so advanced by the end of Voyager so why would it be forgotten? Then again, that's never stopped Star Trek before. If you really wanted, you could explain it away by some sort of catastrophe that caused the Federation to lose a lot of their tech.

Like what, the stolen borg tech? My memory is a bit blurry at the end there.

Anyway, the easy way would be to make any inconvenient tech require a rare unreplicatable material. There are plenty of those like latinum, biomemetic gel, dilithium, etc. Something that was hard to get in the delta quadrant and is almost impossible to get in the alpha quadrant. Or the tech does some damage that the idiots on Voyager didn't notice. Or just plain political resistance, I bet a lot of people would be unhappy about having borg nanoprobes loose in the federation even if they were useful on Voyager.

Or there could be a diplomatic roadblock. The Federation agreed not to develop cloaking technology as part of a peace agreement with the klingons or Romulans. There could be a tenuous peace with the Borg, involving not using borg technology like transwarp conduits and nanoprobes. The borg have failed to assimilate much of the alpha quadrant after several good tries, it wouldn't be outrageous for them to adapt and try a peace treaty as a way to get access to other races biological and technological uniqueness.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Mister Facetious posted:

God, gently caress no. Anything but that. Christ, Enterprise was already set in the loving past, and they still had that bullshit.

They can't help themselves. They've already put in tribbles. And made Michael is Spock's never before mentioned foster sister for no drat reason at all. If the show is successful it is inevitable that they will wedge in a scene with young Ensign Kirk or Junior Engineer Scotty on a random space station. I'd rather see Captain Nog than that.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Gorelab posted:

And you know the sentient holograms that they use for labor.

Never really understood how those were supposed to be better than people or robots.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Mister Facetious posted:

Also, I don't think you can be "post-Borg" without resetting the universe.

Diplomacy. It didn't work the first 40 times, but the federation is relentless with that poo poo.

What do the Borg want? They want to pursue perfection by assimilating the technological and biological uniqueness of all other species. They don't especially want territory or resources, unless you have something unique. Traditionally they have reproduced via assimilation, but they are technologically capable of growing vat babies if they need more drones.

What do the Federation want? Peace, knowledge, exploration. On an individual level: freedom, personal fulfillment, and novel experiences.

Those are totally compatible goals. Technology can be traded. Drones can be recruited. Most humans object to losing individuality, but not all of them. And some are bound to be more afraid of death than assimilation. The Borg offer a kind of immortality, and some people would take that offer. Let the Borg set up recruiting centers on popular federation space stations. In the end getting de-borged was no big deal, and Seven believed a copy of her consciousness remained with the collective, so it would be possible for the Borg to offer temporary fixed-length assimilations and for everyone to get what they want. The collective gets to examine and copy the recruits, and the temporary borg recruits get to experience a collective and then go back to their normal life with a heck of a story to tell.

All they needed was a way for Federation diplomats to communicate with Borg in terms the Borg understand. Voyager gives them that. They have everything they need to convince the Borg that forced assimilation of the Federation is both unnecessary and inefficient.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Yeah Discovery is stuck in this weird place where they are trying to go "THE STAKES HAVE NEVER BEEN HIGHER!!!!" but at the same time say they are part of the main continuity so we know everything turns out okay in general. These particular assholes might die, but the Federation will be fine and Kirk will be sexing up green women in no time.

Fungus transporters are dumb as hell. We know it doesn't work, because they don't have it later. And going meta we know it won't work because everyone teleporting directly to their destinations would be a terrible show. I guess now they are going for "it works, but only if you have a giant tardigrade in nipple clamps, and we don't know where to get more of those so it just works for this one ship".

I'm worried they are going to go for a dumb as hell storyline where Michael wants to be nice to the giant Tardigrade and everyone else wants to be cruel to it for reasons. Even though it is the only specimen of the species they have, so the whole project depends on keeping it healthy.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They have caused a colossal temporal paradox though :v:

That was also dumb. :argh:

If destroying the wormhole collapsed the potentiality so that future woman never came to the past and nobody remembers meeting her, then how did they survive the dark matter storm???

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

MA-Horus posted:

why does the saucer section of the discovery spin around like a loving turntable

what possible loving function does that have

You spin me right round, baby
Right round like a record, baby
Right round round round

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Oh dear, I'm starting to think the spinny bits weren't well thought out at all. I was looking for a gif or something that would show the ship, found this from april:

The saucer is all one peice like every other federation ship. But since it is CGI rather than a physical model, some studio exec probably came along and was all "That's dull, can you sex that up a bit?"

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Space Camp fuckup posted:

Yeah it looks like they tweaked the design a little. It used to look like this

Now it looks like this

Huh, I guess it is impossible to walk from the inner ring to the outer ring? You need to take a turbolift so the computer can time the transition when lift shafts on the rings are lined up. I can't wait for the crawling through the jeffries tubes episode where someone has to make it around the dumb ship manually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqRdT8m1Suo&t=22s

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Hector Beerlioz posted:

im enjoying discovery and will continue to watch it

:eyepop:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

It is totally salvageable. The magic fungus works on some kind of quantum level or poo poo, right?

Discovery: Woops we've accidentally been fungi teleported to 2399! Our ship is heavily damaged and all the records of how this happened have been destroyed!

Captain Nog: Hello Discovery, welcome to 2399. Your disappearance was a real mystery, glad to have that solved.

Discovery: Oh no, we have to go back, we have to win the war!

Captain Nog: What? No, you can't go back, that would disrupt the timeline. Besides, the war is long over and everything was resolved just fine without you. We're allies with the klingons now.

Discovery: Whaa?!?

The federation is still a little low on hulls, so Discovery is sent to a nearby starbase for a refit instead of being scrapped.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

MA-Horus posted:

for fucks sake that looks so goddamn retarded why are a few sections of hull just spinning

Maybe it is experimental armor plating? If I recall correctly STE had some kind of energised armor plating because shields weren't very good yet. So this experimental science ship could be trying armor plating again. By having the armor spin you make it hard for the enemy to focus fire on a weak spot.

Or maybe they use the spinny bits rubbing against the ship to generate massive amounts of static electricity. For science.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Frank Gehry: starship designer.

I guess it's hard to make a name for yourself when you live in a post scarcity society full of over-educated geniuses.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

shadow puppet of a posted:

The suffering of the Bajoran people is a beautiful backdrop on which to paint. Not all future dystopias are created equal.

DS9 still started out as hopeful. Bajor was post-apocalyptic. The worst had already happened: their population was decimated, their resources were plundered, and their environment was trashed. So things can only get better, and federation good guys are there to help. And look, we just found this incredibly valuable stable wormhole in your backyard. Yay! :peanut:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IMBUa7w9K4

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

basic hitler posted:

Is adapting a black tribal culture automatically racist? I wasn't aware anyone was mad about how marvel was doing it. Star trek has a bad track record but I never heard of any serious anger about black panther

Marvel is probably in the clear because they already have a white guy using a bow and arrow, a white guy using a shield, and a white guy using a hammer and viking armor. The asgardians use all kinds of high tech primitive weapons.

Zzulu posted:

Though it is retarded that they're usng spears and poo poo

that's like if we developed super high tech and still used maces and axes or whatever

:razz:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Oh no, I just realized Discovery could totally have the Sisko show up. He is chilling with time aliens. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Generic Monk posted:

i was kind of interested to see where STD went after the pilot double bill but i just watched the third ep and i loving hated it. does it get any better?

There's only been 4 episodes and you've seen 3 of them. Still too early to say. I think 4 was a little better than 3. Having the first ship blow up and almost everyone dies kinda made 3 the first episode again where they have to introduce all the characters and their gimmicks, which is always a bit slow. Made worse by half the characters being unlikable assholes.

Nervous roommate and gay chief engineer are better in the 4th episode. Spoiler: rear end in a top hat chief of security dies like an idiot which is probably a good thing.