Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Pick posted:

i feel so sad when people don't like early-season bashir because he is the most credible "smart guy who just got out of medical school" character ever. he's a weird dumbass who doesn't know when to shut up and is confused by normal things. it sounds like im being a dick but for real I think it works and i want to give him an affectionate noogie and explain appropriate workplace conduct

That was my favorite part of his performance and then they had to grim him up and downgrade his character. Sucked. I wish he'd have kept some of that original personality.

I also liked that one episode where he imagines a version of Jadzia that's into him and Jadzia takes it with amusement and drills him if that's how he sees her, but only for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McyJA93MGhU

I kind of like the youthful brashness of Bashir and the awkwardness that is shown. If they wanted to distinguish this from TNG, they did it, even if it was a bit over the top.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Yes but what happens when some star and time crossed 21 year old Ensigns fancy each other from both ships and get drunk and blab about it to their buddies on some starbase and they're like "Dude, there's no record of this? What are you talking about?" and he goes "Look at this scan of us boning!" *holds up tricorder readings* and they go "Dude, you messed up time!" and "Uh, dude...those readings, she's a non binary repeating vapor" and he goes "gently caress..." and they go "Sorry dude, you got a Super STD from the future"

Like could they really stop from blabbing?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I’ve always wondered what would happen if Tasha Yar and Kira went to a bar and got trashed.

I’d figure it’d go like...

“Rape gangs!”
“Labor camps!”
“Rape gangs!”
“Labor camps!”
“Rape camps!”
“Labor gangs!”

*enormous bar fight erupts*
*Scotty is only survivor somehow*

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Siddig was really good in Kingdom of Heaven Directors Cut. And also Doomsday.

Wish he’d have gotten more to do.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Typically you have series establish the heavy as a tough guy then take it away. In the case of Trek they established Worf as a chump then spent the series and DS9 legitimizing him starting with Paralells into DS9.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

A tale of two Bachelor parties.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

"Btdubs, I met your mirror duplicate and we hosed. Kira's too. As your commanding officer, I order the two of you to think about it and do with that information what you will

PS they both really liked it

PPS it wasn't both at the same time but I'm open to it"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfXjwX9zdJ4

She's a bitch.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Didn’t Geordi end up with Leah by the end of the series?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Discovery seems to have good production values but the ship designs and alien designs are kind of crap.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I love the thought that Odo is a shapeshifter but throughout the show we never see his form as a person. Like Sisko is taking to himself and then suddenly the bean bag starts talking back out of nowhere and Sisko thanks it for advice. Or Julian is trying to hit on Jadzia and suddenly you hear a slug crawling up the wall loudly whispering lines to him. Like aliens and star fleet come to the station and randomly senior officers are taking to no one, terrifying the visitors, until the air responds to them or something.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I think the next iteration of Trek shouldn’t miss the point. You have the Universe, have more slice of life episodes. This should be the Picard series. Make it an Anthology with other main character guest stars. Jean Luc is invited by the Klingons to attend their version of Cedar Point. Follow Riker out as the cool Uncle trying to get Wes and Alexander laid. Garak as he tries to rebuild Cardassia but needs funding...from Quark and the Ferengis who end up economically owning the Cardassians and enslaving them through Capitalism.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I wonder what the alternate timeline would have been if those insect like possession aliens had become the big bad instead of the Borg

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
My favorite get by the showrunners/studio is how Berman or whoever mandated that DS9's Dominion war be just a 3 episode storyarc but was so focused on Voyager, DS9 pushed back and turned it into like 4 seasons.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Refresh my memory...did Kai Winn know she was banging Dukat?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
With the Holodeck I'm certain there'd be all kinds of things that are seedy that would be sporting events or debauchery.

Like violence. Pretty sure humans and aliens would make do with the most brutal sports ever. Like imagine if Klingons realize they can do murder and bloodshed as art. How efficiently a warrior can slaughter his foes almost like ballet and leave behind a Fresco of Kahless in blood. Though I guess they'd prefer to do that in reality than fake.

I guess DS9 also explained the Holodeck is not just Federation tech, there are Holosuites. But I wonder if Federation ones are superior to others.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

I really like this piece of art and artstyle. I'd like an animated show or comic strip like this.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I like how in TNG and DS9 you can tell a shift in the show based on a main character growing a goatee or beard

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

tin can made man posted:

When will starfleet design computers that don't explode like a loving cluster bomb whenever some ancillary system half a mile away from the console gets hit, because goddamn that's gotta be an annoying "your loved one died in a space battle" notification to get

“Dear Ensign Labelle Family,

It is with sorrow we inform you that Ensign Labelle passed in the act of duty to Starfleet aboard the USS Fancypants. The cause of death is due to a cave in at her helm station on the bridge triggered in a cascade reaction by a garden gnome malfunction on deck 10 aft after the Fancypants was struck by a torpedo in a battle against the Dominion. She will be remembered fondly for her Knitting Championships and ghaak lasagna casserole. She is given full honors and we had space fireworks after we torpedoed her into orbit around a star. In this time please accept these two tickets to Risa, all inclusive, three bars of gold pressed latinum, and a coupon entitled to all you can eat Yamak sauce at Deep Space 9.

Excelsior,
Captain Jellico”

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Miss posted:

the scene where quark goes over the accounts in front of the council is golden
as are most of the scenes in that episode

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
The healthier your populace and working class is you can draw from the labor force and if they are secure, they can spend more on consumable product (versus struggling to survive). A healthy middle class is good for the economy and output as America found out before we went back to robber barons.

I think an argument could be made.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I suppose it’s a good thing to not have Worf be Chancellor if the Mirror Universe is indication.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Ro is actually good and cool, as a proto-Kira should be, you loving phillistines

Real talk, was she introduced with the intention she would be Kira's character in DS9? It seems like it should be that case.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I preferred early Froody Dude Bashir to later Grim Bashir. One of my favorite moments for him is when Dax asks if the alternate version of her is how he wants or sees Jadzia and she takes it in humor.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Pick posted:

Grim Bashir sucks, young diphead Bashir is fantastic

Agreed.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Pick posted:

rene's got range, dude was an evil skeleton one time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aV--HzX9__I

I loved that movie as a child, I saw it like a billion times and had it on vhs.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Bogus Adventure posted:

:same:

The song America wrote for it also loving owns because it's so sad yet beautiful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2_oyGwdX14

Yah. The opening. The movie had magical atmosphere

https://youtu.be/EtfP0FeEN0I

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I was someone who really wanted Jadzia and Bashir to end up together. I suppose it makes sense that she wouldn’t mind the attention but Bashir was young, inexperienced, but arrogant of his abilities or just brash or something and while Jadzia is physically young, thanks to the symbiote she has hundreds of years of experiences to draw from so it’s a mis match. The novelty may wear off. Given Dax’s history with the Klingons as Curzon, Worf being her type made much more sense.

Bashir and Garak make a hell of a lot more sense that Garak would have fun leading Bashir around. Even would have been fun to see him and Kira annoy each other

Gatts fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jan 7, 2019

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Bashir’s D is genetically engineered. A D so dangerous they declared it illegal. So he’s probably bringing some heat.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

PenisMonkey posted:

I mean do you want timid bashir on top of you or the beast known as worf giving you the ride of your life. My choice is clear.

If it were TNG Worf he’d get owned by the axe wound to show how powerful it really was.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Pick posted:

it's so much broader than that, like the amount of thirst for damar is extreme. damar! women just plumb love cardassians.

it's not even america-specific.

They really did a great job with the casting for the Cardassians. All the actors performed their characters as if they were statesmen who had passion and poetry (like Garak) in their veins and between Garak and some of Dukat, very seductive charming demeanor.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

There was an episode of TOS which showed that when a helmsman presses a button to fire the phasers that all the button actually does is send the command down to the phaser control area of engineering where crewmembers down there actually do all the poo poo to make the phasers go 'pew pew'. We find this out because there is a coolant leak in the phaser control room and the engineer in that room succumbs to the gas and is knocked out. Sulu presses the button and nothing happens, so they call Lt. Scott and have him check out what the gently caress is going on. So the button saying "Spore Drive" makes sense in that context. :eng101:

This is loving hilarious...

What's up with the giant Tardigrade?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTeJKg8Yf4A

Garak introducing himself to Julian Bashir....so lol, so gay.

"I have a shop...if you ever want some enjoyable company, I am your disposal."

Gatts fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jan 12, 2019

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I have a feeling Keiko would be okay with Miles straying cause she can't be bothered with him. Like, he wants to have a normal life, but she just wants the military benefits with none of the actual relationship and loving marriage and that's part of the reason why she spent practically the whole series away from him.

I'm almost surprised she didn't end up as a Bajoran leader that Dukat seduced just to stick it to Miles.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Could Data have consented? Was he capable of it at that point? He has a physical adult body that's functional but he doesn't fully grasp what it is to be human yet nor does he have emotions. And Measure of a Man proved he should have full right and autonomy of himself. Closest thing to it is Tasha committed statutory rape or took advantage of the disabled since he's under developed/stunted emotionally. And he kept a small holo image of her as a keepsake after so it clearly has some sentimental value to him and affected him, perhaps traumatized.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
What if we did Kingdom of Heaven: Director's Cut.

But in space?

And had Picard there.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
My impression is that only the human societies and Starfleet had no need of money. There's an abundance of resource maybe they decided what the project a person wants to do is then decide if they can allocate resources to it like building materials or land space. That would have to be owned by the government/leadership and planned for how they constructed cities/worlds with an application and process to justify what a person wants to do to follow their dream. I would imagine other civilizations could opt into this with the Federation if they wanted beyond just protection. Then trade would still be established but with value of products determined by who wants what between the two parties and not necessarily any set currency. My other question is how would they determine value of a restaurant or something if no one goes there but like does it just sit empty all the time with no possibility of being replaced? Does it get argued in court to close it and build Five Guys? Maybe it doesn't matter thanks to the Transporter and Shuttles so people can go anywhere else than being stuck with it.

Fed: "Let me get this straight. You want to build a Tribble pleasure dungeon...."
Guy: "Yes."
Fed: "I...don't think we can support that. The other person wants to build a hospital here and that fits more in what we would need in this area."
Guy: "U WOT MATE? I THOUGHT THIS WAS A UTOPIA??!! I THOUGHT WE COULD BE FREE AND DIDN'T NEED RESOURCES TO FOLLOW OUR DREAMS!!"
*hands a Risa sex idol to Federation Administrator and winks*
Fed: "No, I don't think this will do at all."

The replicator does take a lot out of it but you could in theory monetize it if you charge for each replication. It would just be convenient to be able to store it in a box to be replicated than constantly need to have inputs outside of the first time it records the matter profile.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Mar 14, 2019

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
If it's really the future, I can get other civilizations like the Klingons hunting and killing and maybe the odd human who wants to be in commune with his primal self, but with the replicator and science I bet meat is grown in a lab so they don't have to kill animals.

Humans - Space humans
Elves - Vulcans
Dark Elves - Romulans
Orcs - Klingons
Dwarves/Halflings - Ferengi?

Jem Hadar???

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I think it is criminal that Species 8472 or whatever was set up to be badass and we never got a great conclusion to their threat. Granted they came up with a weapon to beat them but they were a great successor to the Borg threat.

Also, 90s CG probably too expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Thank you for the B5 summaries, they are awesome and it's like I'm watching the show all over again.