Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Ah, good, the Babylon 5 thread is back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Milky Moor posted:

reminder that b5 season budget was equal to one ST episode budget

B5 had roughly half of DS9's budget.

e:

quote:

Babylon 5 is filmed in widescreen (16:9) format, so that when HDTV arrives, the show can be remastered for full-screen video release. The extra picture space is just a bonus; directors compose scenes to fit entirely in the normal 4:3 aspect ratio of today's television, at the same time making sure that the edges of the picture can be included later on.

They went to all that effort to film the show in widescreen, but they couldn't afford to do any scenes with SFX in widescreen so they had to be shot in 4:3. This is why when you watch B5 now it looks fantastic when people are standing around talking but as soon as someone fires their pulse pistol it switches to 4:3, then back to 16:9, then back to 4:3 again, then back to 16:9, and so on. It looks horrendous and is physically painful to watch.

Typical Pubbie fucked around with this message at 08:42 on May 23, 2016

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

BattleMaster posted:

My favourite part of DS9 is that they had to start writing Gul Dukat as an insane madman because Marc Alaimo is so charismatic that people actually believed Dukat's bullshit.

lol is this really true? I figured it was just Ronald D. Moore being his usual lovely self ruining good characters with bullshit plots.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Section 31 knew of the existence of the wormhole prior to its official discovery. That's the only explanation for why the the Federation is willing to bend over backwards to defend a planet of religious fanatics who can build warp capable sail boats but can't feed and house their own people.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySX0fhyhyto

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Crowsbeak posted:

Turbo lifts were just fast elevators right?

Turbo lifts remain stationary while the ship moves around them.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
I had a crush on Nurse Ogawa. :allears:

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

DOMDOM posted:

so i binged thru tng and ds9 but god drat i can stomach this voyager trash. is it ok to skip and watch enterprise? i really miss dr phlox i like how he talks

keep watching voyger man it gets good. every trek has its breaking in period

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

shadow puppet of a posted:

Farscape is shitgarbagetrash. The whole thing sucks. It never gets better. The premise is dumber than voyager and everything is stained with its inescapable Australianism.

:negative:

I want to love the show because they made a serious effort with the puppets and I like a lot of the actors, but the show has that irritating blend of corniness and melodrama unique to commonwealth sci-fi shows like Doctor Who and Torchwood.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Cthulu Carl posted:

Riker:"SHUT THE gently caress UP!"

Troi: "Will, I sense your frustration."

Well, at least they got ONE crew member accurate.

I can still remember my whole family laughing at Riker telling Troi to stuff it.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Thanks now I'm going to watch Cause and Effect for the 10th time.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
in a parallel universe, im gay

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Acoochimoya! :eyepop:

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Notably absent: Geordi

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

plushpuffin posted:

My brother lost interest in what they were talking about because he was wondering what the liquid could possibly be, and was jolted out of his reverie by Sheridan announcing "I'm going to get some more of (glances down at his mug) whatever the Hell this is."

It's Zima. That's what Zima was like.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
voyger... IS GOOD!!!

*sobs uncontrollably*

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Skip to Duet. The first season of DS9 is like someone found a crate full of rejected season 1 TNG scripts.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Aaronicon posted:

Yeah I realised that I never watched much of early DS9 so I started the first episode last night myself. Only about halfway through because I rewatched that scene where Sisko meets with Picard and just wants to jump the table and murder him like a billion times. It's some good poo poo.

Saw that episode with my grandpa not too long ago. He had watched a fair bit of TNG back in the 90s (including the borg eps) but never any DS9. Hearing him say "I like Sisko" after the scene with Picard filled my nerd heart with familiar pride

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Lord of Pie posted:

There is no leola root. Talaxians bury their poops like cats, and when they find them later think they're roots

this is bullshit, don't believe him. i've read the memory alpha article on talaxian feeding habits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
I would throw the meanest pon farr down on every Vulcan female to have ever appeared on Trek. Like the crew of the USS T'Kumbra they're all batting 400.