Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They would be wearing holo clothes on top of their jumpsuits though. Unless you want everyone to go onto the holodeck naked. You really want to be in the room with a naked Neelix?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Trials and Tribble at ions is the better anniversary episode because worf has to explain klingon head ridges

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Harveygod posted:

Deep Space 9:

6×18 "Inquisition": Section 31, a clandestine agency within Starfleet is introduced. The episode ends with Sisko planning to expose them for secretly operating outside the ideals of the Federation, as the ends never justify the means.

6×19 "In the Pale Moonlight" :v:

Except because DS9 has an internal continuity, the irony is not lost on Sisko. I love how Quark just revels in finally finding out that Sisko has a price. He is willing to drat himself for the greater good. And even though he claims he can live with it, there is just that slight inflection when he repeats himself that suggests he is being torn up inside for going against his morals.
Seriously, just listen to this monologue. It is amazing.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Ezri is a better counselor than Troi is, and she actually became a commissioned officer despite being a neurotic wreck half the time. Though I always thought it was weird that it was never addressed again on DS9 that the 1 in 100 Trills are compatible with symbionts line was just government propaganda. It was a lie put in place so the truth would not get out about widespread compatibility, but that would mean that Ezri should have had no issues undergoing the transfer from Jadzia. I guess Ezri was an emotional wreck even before she had Dax put in her.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

corn in the bible posted:

I liked the Beverley episode where everyone disappears

I like when only Picard is left and he wants to bang Beverley while nobody is there to watch.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I like his earlier rant in that episode where he takes the piss out of Picard's speech from First Contact. "The Line has to be drawn here! This far and no further!"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Sten Freak posted:

Dax's hair bothers me. It's got this poof on the top when you look at her headon. I'm probably being influenced by watching the show by my wife who loves picking apart the costumes and styles, particularly the 90s dated looks but yeah. Also I can see why Dax is maybe considered the weakest character in the main crew. Not her fault, she's interesting but more as an adviser I know lifetimes of things type, like Whoopi dishing out guidance in TNG, not a dynamic character.

Oh just wait until you get to Dax's hair for the season 3 opener.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAkR2WU0zYs

Poor Miles.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Id1aUCkDoM

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Urgh, why is every Gul Dukat episode after Waltz such a letdown? Some of them aren't even bad, like the one where he prank calls Kira to say he hosed her mother, but they just aren't as good as the ones before his psychotic breakdown.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Figaro posted:

I remember some (hopefully minority) of DS9 fans back in the day wanting a Dukat/Kira romance. Particularly during season 4 and 5, it was all pretty gross. Mmm genocide of my peoples what a turn on!

I like how they taunted those fans with the episode where Dukat gets Ziyal back. He and Kira have all this goofy antics going on in the cave where they "bond", and then Dukat immediately follows it up by declaring vengeance on everyone who wronged him after the moment passes.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Filthy loving Skreeans trying to live on planet occupation terrorists.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Farscape at least remained consistent throughout its run. Consistently insane, but still.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The third season lost its goddamn mind completely, but the first, second and fourth seasons were great :allears:.

The third season is completely nuts, but apart from the screaming girl, there were some great episodes in there.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Figaro posted:

Voyager fact I learnt this week: the boy who plays Kate Mulgrew's step son in that horrendous millennium episode of season 5; "11:59" also was the voice of Ariel's best friend Flounder in The Little Mermaid

The little boy who Worf adopts into his Klingon family in one TNG episode was also the drug dealer poo poo from Robocop 2, as well as the voice of LIttlefoot from Land Before Time.

On the topic of Science Fiction shows, are there any good recent ones that have some actual personality to them?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah that's a bad scify trope that always gets me spergin'. You're never going to be within visual range of 2 asteroids, let alone a field so dense you need to do fancy flying. Unless a planet or something just exploded like a year ago.

Much as the Star Wars expanded Universe could become ludicrous nonsense, I liked their justification for the asteroid cluster near Hoth. It was the result of two planets colliding and being responsible for the frequent meteor showers across the planet.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
He's just salty because the uss franklin gave him ptsd flashbacks to enterprise.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The nebula full of asteroids surrounding one planet in Beyond is no worse than the Baku hippie planet from Insurrection being surrounded by a space cloud.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

THC posted:

if the bad guy's human, why does he look like that? If it's a side effect of his blue lightning powers, why do all his bad guy minions look like that too? We only ever see the one guy use it. Are they all former Franklin crew members or are they natives of the planet? Where did they come from? Whats going on

The alien life leeching device had a side effect of making him look like the alien society that left behind the drone army and swarm ships. The other guy who wasn't a drone was the only other surviving member of the Franklin's crew.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Burning_Monk posted:

And the girl alien from the beginning.

No, she was one of the people stranded on the planet, and evil dude blackmailed her into luring a Federation vessel to the planet.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The JJ movies version of the Federation looks like the Federation from Starship Troopers, right down to the grey, fascist inspired uniforms. At least in Beyond they got some nice blue field jackets that reminded me of the decent costuming from Enterprise.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That makes no sense though, why would the universal translator need to be recalibrated for her? She could just speak English.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So part of her lying was spending 150 years developing a functioning alien language so far removed from English that the universal translator could only translate into robot speak? Wait, I'm over thinking this. I liked the movie.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

shovelbum posted:

I haven't looked at the timeline of everything but at any point where was Janeway aware of the carnage of the Dominion War did she pass up on a chance to intervene in it?

Well in one episode Chakotay gets an email from Starfleet telling him that the Maquis were wiped out by the Dominion and it doesn't affect the episode in the slightest. The Maquis were specifically created for Voyager and yet DS9 did way more with the concept than the Voyager crew ever did.

CADPAT posted:

Well I just hit S7 of DS9 and holy poo poo does S5 and S6 have too many loving time travel and Quark stories. There's a war going on you fucks.

Meanwhile Capt Sisko is peeling potatoes. Good use of trained officers.

Seasons 5 and 6 are still the best DS9 has to offer. Season 7 is a mix of good stories and some really, really stupid poo poo.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

didn't the Maquis straight up get gassed with chemical weapons or am I remembering incorrectly?

Sisko gassed their planet to tell them to gently caress off from the DMZ.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGcAbI-4_io

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They probably did praise sisko considering how fast the maquis were wiped out after Eddington was arrested. Their biggest mistake was picking a fight with the federation when they could barely withstand the cardassians

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Gatekeeper posted:

yeah I'm trying to picture it in my head and it's all very boring and lovely :^/

It was very reactionary to the boxy grey late 80s by being all super gaudy and technicolor vomit. But then they realized that that looked like poo poo, so they went back to boring grey without all the cold war oppression of the 80s boring grey.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

if thats true then that is more thought than went into any further plot development for voyager

Yep. Just like the Bajorans were introduced in TNG to ease viewers into DS9. DS9 actually cares about continuity though, unlike Voyager.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
But only male Vulcan do the crazy sex stuff.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Remember the Star Trek FMV game where Q gives the player a chance for payback at the Borg? They reused the Voyager set but they couldn't afford future chairs, so everyone on the set had to sit in rickety folding chairs from Walmart. I like to think that that is why on the show Harry and Tuvok are stuck standing at their consoles, because the ship couldn't afford seating after using cum-bag computer packs.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The enterprise ferengi episode was poo poo. Instead of getting armin shimmerman or Jeffrey coombs, they got Ethan Phillips to be the ferengi.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Melora is a pretty terrible episode about dealing with disabilities, and it's only good moment is when space magic saves the person shot by a phaser on kill so she can fly through the air like superman and punch the bad guy.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Fojar38 posted:

Watched Melora a few nights ago and it was an otherwise forgettable episode if not for her loving hilarious dumb superman punch in the runabout and also the awesome serenading klingon at the end

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3KqCeusyVE

the actor that played the fat klingon died of a heart attack at 49

Yeah, Superman punch and Klingon Chef are the only good things about that episode. I might be remembering wrong, but doesn't the chef also appear in a few other episodes?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Voyager would be fine if it didn't have those stumpy nacelles. Give it the excelsior's engine array and it would look nicer.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wx5I7uEEEYo

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Tosk grew up to be a Jem'Hadar and O'Brien felt a small pang of guilt when he killed him in season 3.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Odo only became a cop because dukat thought he might be good at it and are you going to question Dukat?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I often find the B-Plots on DS9 better than the A-Plot. DS9's strength is in its character development, which is why the secondary plots are so good when they focus on character interaction. Especially stuff between Jake and Sisko. It took them years of failing on TNG to show children properly, only for DS9 to knock it out of the park with their father/son relationship.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Man, they did three O'Brien suffering episodes in a row. First, he is trapped with Bashir while dying of a bioweapon, then he gets murdered before going Manchurian Candidate, and then he gets trapped with Sisko on planet eco-hippy psycho cult bitch.

EDIT: gently caress me, Profit and Loss is a good episode. You get Garak and Quark as major players, and Quark manages to sell the one episode romance that Trek so often fails at.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Aug 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

girth brooks part 2 posted:

The people making DS9 had some serious balls to keep the the Ferengi scream when Nog gets his leg shot off

But he sure as hell makes it convincing. It almost sounds like a young kid screaming after being wounded. In a war episode. Who would have thought?