Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Neddy Seagoon posted:

More from an era where computers were still just doing one thing at a time rather than multi-tasking tabs. The most basic computer at the time was just single-thread command-line execution, and that probably translated to to "this basic contemporary device can do/hold one thing at a time". Or at least a digital equivalent of a piece of paper.

Plus the drat things can be just infinitely duplicated, and sometimes it's nice to be able to reach over and pick up your reference for another thing instead of alt-tabbing through a dozen tabs to find it and then tab back while trying not to forget it.

You're talking microcomputer right? Multitasking and job control dates back to before MULTICS (the 60s).

Even then, the X Windowing System (multitask GUI) got colour support in Version 9, released in 1985, one or two years before TNG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

CassandraZara posted:

it's too late picard. i've seen everything. i've seen it all.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

FlamingLiberal posted:

He somehow has a worse love life than Wesley and Data.

That's because Data's fully functional

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

barbecue at the folks posted:

Kirk and Spock trying to convince the automatic gay space luxury communism planet that no, actually, the whole idea is highly illogical even in the context of the Federation

But the federation is automatic gay space luxury communism

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Powered Descent posted:

And since a plot without conflict would be pretty dull, and since Keiko isn't likely to be involved in solving this week's Space Mystery or stopping the Space Disaster, that probably means it's time for relationship drama with Miles.

Kind of ironic given that Gene didn't want there to be any conflict of that sort :>

Universe Master posted:

The first one would have to be real to scan it, so maybe that still counts.

Was there even a first one? They refer a lot about programming the machine to do x y and z with the replicators.

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jul 30, 2019

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

dudeness posted:

Drink? I thought it was for putting in your butthole.

Bottoms up

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Ghostlight posted:

what an oxymoron.

:five:

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Bobby Deluxe posted:

its funny because sheldon has all of the behavioural traits of autism, a condition which is diagnosed based on behavioural traits (because we still have no loving idea what causes it)

but you see its ok because sheldon is not autistic, so its ok to mock his clear distress and lack of understanding

Can we like not discuss this poo poo in the star trek thread, we already have a thread for this.

Alternate universe where wesley glues a dildo to the chair and riker does the riker manoeuvre and doesn't realise until it's too late

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Ghostlight posted:

Jesus is clearly established in canon as the one and only son of God, so it's the same one just traveling the galaxies getting himself killed.

A divine red shirt.

He's also made out of one single electron, the "god" particle, if you will.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Jilad at tanagra, his arms wide open. Hhhhrrrrrrrnnnnmmmmppphhh. :thunk:

Jalad at Tanagra's, His Arse Open

"Hhhhrrrrrrrnnnnmmmmppphhh"

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Bogus Adventure posted:

Looks like someone forgot to ask the most important person for consent before initiating coitus.

When dancing one must always leave room for Janeway between yourself and your partner.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Danaru posted:

The ECH having a transformation sequence still makes me laugh every god drat time

He's officially a magical girl anime protagonist

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Bogus Adventure posted:

It's a really good episode, and the one that included the first interracial kiss on TV, as well as hammering home the importance of equality for all with Kirk saying, "Where I come from, size, shape or color makes no difference."

you missed out the implied:

"but it helps if you have a big dick"

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Tighclops posted:

I would always ask my mom to make eggs after seeing that episode on TV

I still can't cook why do you ask

You just need to find the Riker to your Worf

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Hipster_Doofus posted:

That made me realize something. Regarding the replicated vs. "real" food debate, and how your favorite dinner is going to be exactly the same every time, if I had a replicator I would create all the raw ingredients and then cook the poo poo myself. And say like, I'm halfway through and realize, "ooh, a little basil would work well in this." Well, "two ounces fresh basil, holy. No belay that, make it Thai. And one ounce fresh lemon basil too."

BAM! :chef:

(bummer there's no Emeril emote)

You'd think so, but the Federation has a death sentence for anyone that doesn't stand to attention at the replicator.

EDIT: Also didn't they say at some point that replicated food tastes bland or something. Maybe in voyager?

I don't know why people who have access to over 1000 years of intergalactic cooking would choose to eat whatever crap Neelix made...

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Aug 11, 2019

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

SavageGentleman posted:

I think Star Trek's technology level has a hard limit of automation built in that starts to look really old-fashioned today. smart AI, serious automation following holodeck or transporter limits to its logical endpoints - all of this would strain the ethos of Star Trek, which is mostly based in humanlike creatures doing meaningful stuff that technology never could (tm).

Personally I've played around with ways to integrate 'new' technology into the setting, but the results were suboptimal.

Romulans no longer sending real assassin's but stealthed drones with holoemitters that procedurally generate the ideal assassin for a given case? hard to counter.

Drone swarms? Hardcore cybermods? Genesplicing? AIs doing all the work and crazy electronic warfare much faster than our monkey brains can process?

It would certainly be an interesting setting, but it would not really be Star Trek anymore.

I mean, the holodeck was just scripts except for the Moriarty thing lol. I think actually star trek's automation makes more sense with our recent knowledge of how Bad and poo poo machine learning is

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Random note, it looks like Picard's likely to be embarassed by a Captain Picard Day from grown-up Enterprise kids, I do wonder which Star Trek characters are best with kids. Picard is obviously awkward around them, the Sisko is a great dad, Worf is a terrible dad, Quark strikes me as a bit of a cool uncle type you could probably trust them with for the weekend, though you wouldn't trust him with their pocket money. Lwaxana is everybody's cool aunt. Kira strikes me as someone who's decent around kids if not entirely the maternal type, and will absolutely murder anyone who threatens them.

Riker is a cool uncle but you wouldn't really trust him with your newly-18 daughter

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Baronjutter posted:

A phaser isn't a "gun" !!!! It's a sophisticated multi-functional tool!!!!

This is actually true though. Disruptors are much much more prominent in the universe outside of the federation because they're conceptually simpler, the federation invested in phaser tech for it's multitool purpose

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's a barman's shotgun; It needs presence to make a point to a bunch of drunken assholes in the middle of a fight and make a big loud noise when it goes off.

Yeah like if a Phaser can vapourize a 43m³ size square on a mid-range setting (From memory? Might be wrong, I don't remember the tech manual's list v well), that gun could probably blast a fair-sized hole in the hull (esp since I don't think there's shielding from the inside?? Would be cool to see it happen I guess)

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

alexandriao posted:

Yeah like if even the tiny pissy palm-sized Phasers can vapourize a 43m³ size square on a mid-range setting (From memory? Might be wrong, I don't remember the tech manual's list v well), that gun could probably blast a fair-sized hole in the hull (esp since I don't think there's shielding from the inside?? Would be cool to see it happen I guess)

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

drilldo squirt posted:

Anyone else thinking about rewatching discovery?

Actually yes. Jason Issacs is good in anything and Anson Mount can *ahem* mount me anytime in that starfleet uniform amiright

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Timby posted:

That disruptor beam angle. He's aiming straight at her chest.

Yeah Okuda was the only guy in the tng art team capable of drawing straight, properly angled lines and he spent most his time doing the displays.

My guess is poor Timmy the Intern drew that

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

A whole lot of people got killed by a Romulan sneak attack on DS9.

God, the Romulans were real fuckers in TNG/DS9, weren't they? There's like at least three different episodes where one of their schemes going sideways could have easily tipped them into an actual shooting war.

The romulans believe they're superior to everyone so their reaction is basically

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Ghostlight posted:

I always forget Joel Tobeck played Kafka in this.

holy poo poo they reworked a cover of
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izQB2-Kmiic

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Kanine posted:

yeah this video is like, everything i dont miss about the early 2000's/late 90's

You need to watch more buckaroo banzai.

Also, DS9 be like:

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Facebook Aunt posted:

I prefer to think Crusher just gets real dumb when she's horny. As seen with the ghost candle.

Dudes aren't the only ones who can get into trouble 'cause they horny.

No but how many races do they have in the Federation? 30-something?

You can appreciate her getting confused if this is another one of the 50 different space parasites they keep encountering every time they swing by the neutral zone, or the space aids Picard gets every time Q is around, or another egg hatching from that time Geordi tried to gently caress a tree out of frustration, or something else. I mean they've literally had transporter parasites, ship eating nanobots, and memetic parasites that only Data can kill in his sleep. And that's basically par for the loving course normal day for them.

Not to mention that today so much information is produced that modern GPs are poo poo at staying up to date or even learning stuff from 20 years ago, that's gonna be exponentially multiplied when you factor in all the races and differences. Take something like transgender care as an example and literally no GP is up to date on that even though WPATH has had good recommendations in place since the 90s. The best anyone can hope for is that their GP didn't sleep through the blitheringly misinformational 5 minutes of the 1 hour lecture on LGBT people that consists of the entire education for the 5 year degree. Trills were probably a 1 hour lecture somewhere that she was too busy partying hard or dealing with a hangover to notice, or she skipped it to memorize some foot bones or something idk.

Of course Bashir knew, but he has a Trill on board the ship as part of the main cast primary crew so it's his responsibility to know. Not to mention that he's been genetically engineered to be better at information retention, etc.

Also, Crusher did have a chronic case of "nuhbudy tuhld me nuthin" syndrome, from what I remember she was basically the last to hear about anything.

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Aug 26, 2019

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Half way through watching S5E6 of TNG.

Basic summary: The crew of the Enterprise come into contact with futuristic cookie clicker games, it comes out like that episode of SMBC Theatre.

There's a scene where Riker says to Geordi "I've brought something back from Risa" and Geordi's visibly thinking "Ugh, not another STD"

EDIT: I wish we had seen more of Robin afterwards and less of Wesley.

EDIT2: If the entire show was just different people having tea with Picard I'd still watch it :3

EDIT3: Holy poo poo poor Data, he's basically got lockin sundrome for the entire loving episode god. "His brain is working but the impulses are not getting to his body"

EDIT4: After Wesley tells Picard I half expected him to go "Mental note: The boy knows" in a homerish voice

EDIT5: Ah, so Data's solution is epilepsy

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Aug 31, 2019

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Watching all the Voyager time travel episodes. Finishing Timeless and Janeway says to Kim:

quote:

All that matters is that somehow, somewhere, sometime... you'll come through for us

as if he hasn't been doing that all this time already? Sick burn.

"Someday you'll come through for us, but you haven't shown any promise of that yet, now go mop the floor on deck 12."

Also doesn't he spend like the entire show as an Ensign? He's a great example of "If you want to move up, move out".

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Under better writing with continuity you could make a plot point of that late-series; Give him some regular promotions to Lt-Commander throughout the show's run to feel proud about, and slowly realizing it's pointless because he's still at the same console and there's no way to get promoted further unless Chakotay or Janeway die. And there's still 30-50-odd years of travel till home.

Higher rank means more holodeck time.

Maybe they're all just scared he'll go Full Barclay on them

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Star Trek made me crazy because can't go outside just adjust my tachyon emissions a little can't stop drinking just slightly adjust the warp bubble can't talk to people well my pattern buffers are out of alignment can't pay my bills just remodulate the phase inducers. Seriously every problem especially in TNG and VOY just has a bullshit technobabble solution and THAT'S NOT HOW LIFE WORKS.

No that's just not how your life works. Need to go outside? Sorry im detecting tachyon emissions that mean I can't. Need some more drinky drinky? Sorry there's a warp bubble here. Can't talk to people? Oops sorry my pattern buffers are out of alignment today, excuse me. Can't pay my bills? I'll remodulate his phase inducers ;)

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

lost my old email posted:

there are several chill posters whom i post with whom identify with not their birth gender and i love them very much just feel the need to put that out their for some reason

Awww. We love you too.
Honestly I expected SA to be like Moss Eisley / 4chan but it's ended up pretty cosy and more like Ten Forward. There are way more leftists than I anticipated and a lot more trans/nb people too.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

"Activate... the Emergency Command Hologram :smuggo:."

Still the best episode because of that.

I want a series of Star Trek where Q and Data and the EMH have to share a bunk together and learn about humanity. Maybe occasionally Worf too but he's a real groucho. I can't remember if I read about someone else wanting something similar here or on a youtube comment.

Unrelated: Does anyone still play Star Trek Elite Force? Last I checked some of the servers were still up.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I was looking for an old post of mine and I still stand by this one from 3 years ago.

You forgot "computer program"/"hologram". There are three glorious seasons of voyager before jeri ryan comes in and shits over the existing character dynamics

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Onkel Hedwig posted:

Opening shot of episode "Prophet Motive". There must be better ways to open a show than this:

If there is, I haven't seen it.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

CaptainSkinny posted:

You're clearly not Riker if that would stop you.

Riker wasn't taken by the beast, he went willingly, and felt it inside him and outside him. Pleasure immeasurable.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Iron Crowned posted:

I definitely had a friend in high school who liked Voyager, it was the only Star Trek he would watch

I'm sorry for your loss

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Erisian Automata posted:

Could have been Enterprise. There is hope for the fallen souls.

limbo is objectively better than hell

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Powered Descent posted:

It also frequently turns up in other sci-fi productions.

The actual item is owned by a prop rental company called Modern Props. You can rent it yourself [...]

Putting this on a list so I can eventually hire it for my wedding photos. It's going to be in every drat photograph and I will point it out to every single person that sees the photos for the rest of my life.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Preston Waters posted:

WHY IS THE BORG QUEEN STILL ALIVE :wtf::wtf:

No but First Contact happened about halfway through Voyager chronologically so because the information about her death hadn't been broadcast to Voyager, they didn't know not to use her as a weekly villain.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

I mean she hears this poo poo all day long. If it's not some poor guy having a meltdown because a kid dressed up as a borg and his wife was stolen in wolf 359, it's some shithead making bad jokes at her

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Danaru posted:

He cant even die since he was never alive, he can only cease to be.

What the hell do you think death is? :o

There's no difference between putting him in a cube with emitters, and showing him you using a sledgehammer on it, to shooting someone else Barclay in the head, except Moriarty goes through less pain.