Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

sweet geek swag posted:

BSG was literally this, though it was a bit too grimdark at times.

Literally to the point that BSG was made because Ron Moore transferred to Voyager after DS9 ended and got frustrated at how badly they were wasting the premise so he went and remade BSG and integrated all the ideas he had for Voyager that they turned down 'maybe they have supply problems'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I mean they kinda immediately undermine it with Picard pointing out his ship is impeccably organised like a proper Starfleet nerd with the not too unsubtle subtext that he's tries to look manly in front of space daddy who doesn't buy it for a second

Also at the end when he was all like 'I'm not pressing the go button until you say the words so I can internally squeal like a fanboy'

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

evilmiera posted:

It was a mistake in the same way Sisko was a mistake. Introducing proper moral ambiguity that stuck around with the show inevitably lead to the idea that what people wanted was to see more of it. Star Trek never really recovered from generations of producers and writers missing the point.

It wasn't presented as ambiguous on the show, there was none of this hand wringing and 'should we', it was immediately wrong and bad and evil and our characters were instantly opposed to it from the first second. Section 31 on DS9 were never anything but the enemy.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I'm not sure if padding is the right word per se but there were definitely elements in the costume designed to create the Barbie-boobs contour effect.

Oh you mean the corset that caused breathing problems and they had to take breaks so she didn't pass out?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Lower decks had a very distinct upward trajectory, the first four episodes were eh, the next few were decent, the last few have been the best of the bunch and actually pretty drat good.

Season's almost over but it's left me really looking forward to seeing what they do next season with that track record and a chance to reflect on what worked so far.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Oct 4, 2020

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The thing is, Bakula is a decent actor, Archer's ridiculous blandness seems to have emerged from him basically acting as he was directed to.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Centrist Committee posted:

(like Tripp getting knocked up on the plant ship)

That was always super uncomfortable because he basically got unknowingly raped and then all the other characters made fun of him for it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I like how there was one episode of lower decks where an evil lovecraftian alien takes over a ship and eats it from the inside out and then at the end they were all "Look it was just a baby trying to feed and hatch, no hard feelings" and watch it drift off prettily, and the B plot of the episode is all these space-injured and space-crippled starfleet people on a ship to the recovery planet who are starting to think that it's all a lie and they're being shipped off to nowhere out of sight, but then it turns out they were just taking the long way around and the recovery planet is a super-nice resort with lots of resources being poured into fixing them and giving them massages while they wait. It was just like SPACE IS EVIL AND THERE'S A DARK EVIL UNDERBELLY OF THE FEDERATION nah just kidding it's all good.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Oct 5, 2020

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

a big part of the problem with picard is that the idea with these short extremely serialised serieses is that you actually know what the gently caress you're doing with the story but they weren't given time to actually do that, we know that they were still writing and figuring out story beats to later episodes basically as they were filming the one before. Hell, the reason the first episode is slow is that it was filmed as a two-parter and then they added some flashbacks and buffed it out into a three-parter in pickup.

So they were just pushed along to the end by an impatient CBS and then hadn't actually fully sorted how they were going to wrap it and had to do it as best they could.

also halfway through someone was like 'hey we got jeri ryan, write her in' and they had to sub her in for a bunch of hugh's parts.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

This has been the same for all the new trek shows. Discovery it's legendary how they were literally rewriting scripts to episodes as they were filming it and building sets that they were shooting scenes on later the same day, and lower decks had to panic because a few months before launch someone at CBS rang them and said 'discovery season three needs more time, we're moving your airing date up two and a half months to take their slot' and they went poo poo poo poo WE HAVE TO FINISH THIS BY LIKE NEXT WEEK AAAA

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Basically CBS is terrible at managing but also seems to be under the impression that a scifi show can be shat out at high pace like two and a half men while still being in the style of all of these cool 'prestige' shows that make all the money.

(To be fair with discovery they wasted a lot of time at the start, but still they didn't have nearly enough to catch up after they redid the entire production just before launch)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

TNG after Piller took over managed to get into a decent groove, I think, as did DS9. Voyager was okay if you don't count the entire writing staff all hating each other and being burned out, and then Enterprise the same but even more burned out.

It's well known that the Trek staff begged to have a year off between TNG and Voyager, and they begged again for extra time between Voyager and Enterprise, and both times CBS was like 'write or be replaced' while masturbating to graphs of TNG's ratings.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Applewhite posted:

I feel like Voyager was a missed opportunity.

Instead of everyone being miserable and burned out, they could have just churned out season after season of shitposts and the show would have been amazing.

I mean a lot of voyager was absolutely shitposts

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

shadow puppet of a posted:

In the pre holodeck era there was no point to knowing everyone’s names on a crew because you couldn’t magically summon their sexbot familiar out of thin air.

Once the H-deck was invented everyone was in an immediate first name-last name basis. Crew members would rip through each others family photo albums and away mission tricoder scan logs looking for sexable life forms and rushing off to try them out like a wine tasting replete with spit bucket.

Oh please like you'd holobang your coworkers when you could holobang alexander skarsgård

the reason everyone but riker is so unsexed in TNG is because they've all ruined themselves to only be able to get it up to impossibly perfect holosims anymore

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

That's true but I loved the simple music stings TNG always had at the start of an episode that was just, like, a single extended note that was still somehow still instantly recognisable and mood-setting as Star Trek.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

mango sentinel posted:

It has a similar art style and is marketed with a bunch of jokes about drinking and puking because Rick & Morty is currently monolithic in "mature" animation. The content of the show may not be close in spirit, but that people thinking it's similar is an intentional effect of CBS marketing.

To be honest the similarity is mainly the circular eyes, too. The art style on lower decks is a more detailed and a lot more shaded, whereas Rick and Morty is always flat and more stylised and deliberately blobby.

The backgrounds and setting and non-character elements in lower decks in particular are dramatically more detailed and lit, much closer to realism.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Oct 9, 2020

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

This is right after Nemesis, when he was thick but nowhere near as thick as now.

He's back next season, maybe every time he recurs they can just make him a bit thicker until he looks like he did in Picard.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm pretty sure Michael Dorn is about 50% padding there.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

This is literally the result of Gene Roddenberry being horny and wanting girls in miniskirts colliding with Gene Roddenberry wanting a future where sexism is over and equality reigns supreme. Can't... give up miniskirts... oh I know I'll just put men in them too.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Bogus Adventure posted:

Who WOULDN'T want to live in a sex-positive paradise where people everywhere are treated with compassion and respect?

If you look in the background briefly in Discovery there's a few guys wearing the skant, but they were too cowardly to do it as more than an easter egg.

Give me Captain Pike in a miniskirt, damnit. Man's ripped, let him fly those thighs.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

shadow puppet of a posted:

The survival of Scottish speech and dress into the future is the most implausible aspect of all of trek.

Maybe it's like in Doctor Who where the Scottish people survive because they refused to join Starship UK during the evacuation of Earth and instead demanded their own Starship Scotland.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

GolfHole posted:

boo, give cirroc the work

what more could there possibly be to explore with sisko. just leave him alone.

It would be nice to actually show that He Came Back.

I could see Avery Brooks being willing to come back just to depict that Sisko did in fact return to be a good dad to his new kid. That aspect of the character was the most important to him.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqGVyPO647I

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Dax's new host should've been a guy. Keep the awkward uncomfortable latent sexual tension with Worf.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's pretty clear that the Lower Decks people loving love Star Trek.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I legit like the first JJ film, but Into Darkness is such a loving trainwreck. I still need to watch the third one though. I've heard good things, I've just never gotten around to it.

Beyond hits the feel of Star Trek much better than the first two, but clearly suffers from having been rushed for the 50th anniversary and needing a few more rewrites. It's still the best of the three in my opinion.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

My Lovely Horse posted:

I really don't get I absolutely do get why they keep setting new shows before or inbetween the established timeline (such as it is), it's to prey on nerd nostalgia and canonism,

Eh, really what happened is that Bryan Fuller had a specific story and theme in the era he wanted to explore; then he got kicked and replaced with Kurtzman, who didn't really care about the era but it was too late to change, which is why Discovery doesn't seem to really care about being a prequel despite going out of its way to be set there.

And then Strange New Worlds came out of the popularity of Pike and the good reception to the Enterprise on Discovery, and the Section 31 show spun off the existing stuff in Disco season 2 so it was bound to that era too.

But yeah they clearly did get sick of being constrained by the era, which is why Disco timejumped to the 3100s for season 3 and soft rebooted so they can do what they like.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I hope when they go into the future they refit the ship with all the future tech and put it in the holes in the saucer.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Applewhite posted:

Using only what information I've gleaned from this thread, I take it Discovery Season 3 is set in the far future where there is no Federation anymore so the writers can't gently caress up Federation lore?

They're in the year 3100 or so and the Federation largely collapsed after a plot device happened and every ship in the galaxy blew up simultaneously.

:shrug:

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Oct 16, 2020

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

DS9 good.

Upscaled DS9 better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpMawGAevEU

(Some guy is doing it since CBS can't be hosed)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Oct 17, 2020

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The original plan the Voyager writers had for season 4 or 5 of Voyager was that about four or or five episodes in they'd have the two-parter Year of Hell but it would take place over a month or two and Voyager would stay wrecked (probably not as badly as in the actual episode), and then the entire rest of the season Voyager would be limping along in terrible condition and getting clowned on by everyone and at the end of the year they'd find allies and manage to patch up, maybe leave a few scars.

There's this anecdote of the writers getting excited about all the possibilities and spending days planning the pitch and coming up with episodes and then watching Braga go into a meeting with Berman and then come out just depressed and saying to them 'one two-parter, the ship is back to normal at the end'.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Azathoth posted:

This whole discussion reminds me of a quote by Terry Pratchett, given when he was asked why he didn't write more stories about Rincewind, which was something like "every character only has so many stories in them". For Picard, he had his interesting story told, and everything that's come out after TNG is with Picard bad because the character, as good as he was in TNG, just doesn't have another interesting story in him.

To be fair that was also kinda his way of saying 'Rincewind is an extremely one-note character, guys'. But I do feel like there were plenty of interesting ways they could've had a good story about Picard, they just didn't.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The TMP flyby is great but I admit I'm not normal.

Anyway if you didn't watch the cartoon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wykudfjTw1Q

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The mirror universe is yet another one of those things where Bryan Fuller had a story he wanted to tell and explore about a character with major regrets coming face to face with the roads not taken but then there was a change in showrunner and they kept the basic plot beats but not the actual meaningful story or exploration or themes or actual point of it so now they're just in the mirror universe for a while for no reason.

I think in his version Fuller said it wasn't even the Mirror Universe, just a mirror universe, closer to the normal timeline.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Oct 19, 2020

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Even if they wanted a 9/11 analogy and HARD CHOICES couldn't they have just had the Romulans do the sneak attack and the Romulan War.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

They may eventually get a refit, but Discovery may well run for a while with being super-outdated and not able to fight and having a just a few small 31st century toys for a while, but on the other hand also having a magical mushroom drive that can teleport anywhere in the galaxy instantly which is still much better than even future ships can do.

They no doubt have an absolute shitload of dilithium on board by modern standards though and once they get a recrystalliser it'll be far far more than they'll need so they'll be able to get by trading it for a while without threatening their own operation as long as they're careful about not getting taken over by pirates.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Oct 24, 2020

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah but she didn't give it to anyone because she didn't trust the galaxy with the advanced technology of freeing them from a resource dependence. :shrug:

Spock invented it a few years later in TVH anyway and by TNG they have recrystalizer built into all the warp cores so they can just keep the dilithium going without even taking it out. Book mentioned his was busted last week because of his collision with Michael, which is why they needed to go trade for new dilithium.

I assume it shouldn't be hard for Disco to trade for one, they can probably just be fished out of old ships that there isn't enough dilithium left to actually run.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Oct 24, 2020

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

what

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Johnny Aztec posted:

In a better written series, Neelix would , intentionally, play up the "Jester" role. Be super upbeat annoying. Give the crew a...what would be the right word?
It's a mental thing. By giving them a "grrr, Neelix is so annoying, we hates him", it helps preserve their sanity.

Keep in mind that initially Neelix was meant to be a cool Han Solo rogue adventurer, at least so they'd planned. He was going to be their breakout character!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

If Voyager did have an identity as a Trek, it was the one that was willing to lean into the 'poo poo is weird' plots, much more so than TNG.