Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.

ZypherIM posted:

Enemy traps are usually barely visible, like sunk partially into the ground.

Oh, I thought that was just a clipping bug when I saw it happening.

A beartrap sinking into concrete doesn't sound right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

While I hate Hanzo in general he's become my go-to for stress relief. Just spam arrows down any chokepoint and watch the headshots roll in, no brain required. Gold medals in kills and damage, aww yeah.

Guilty pleasure, but hey, at least he's not McCree.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

I finally looked at my statistics. I have a 67% win rate as Symmetra and 69% as Reaper. It's me, I'm the goddamn autistic edgelord.

Meanwhile I'm at 34% as Pharah and 44% as Roadhog, because I'm actually really bad at the fun classes.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

When using Tactical Visor as 76, should i still be firing in bursts or do /all/ the bullets hit the target even if I just fire full auto?

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

The only reason I doubt Reaper being a joke is that this is Blizzard, who have written characters exactly like him fully seriously before (Kerrigan and Arthas, for example).

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

TheTatteredKing posted:

Junkrat says "why so serious" when killing reaper.

I love his kings row line where he forgets Road Hog's real name, who gets super annoyed with him.

But Roadhog's bio basically says there's nothing left of [old name] and only Roadhog remains.

edit: My immersion!

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Broken Cog posted:

Make a healing sniper that has to sit back and snipe his/her own teammates.

Edit: Some kind of healer using turrets could also be kinda neat. Think dispensers from TF2, but kinda like Symmetra turrets instead or something.

A healing sniper would actually be hella fun. Sit at the backlines and fire medicine darts into their skulls.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Lady Naga posted:

They shoudl add a hero that casts spells.

Reaper already has literal magic.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

So Reinhardt's charge seems to have some sort of AoE at the end. One charged into my turret as Torb while I was standing behind it, and it killed me. The charge visibly stopped at the turret.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

So is there any scenario in which Genji where I wouldn't be better served by playing Tracer instead? I really want to like him but goddamn I am awful with him.

Countering bad McCrees.

That's all.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

gandlethorpe posted:

LMBO at the people saying there should be a more skill oriented healer, conveniently forgetting about Zenyatta cause he's probably too hard for them to play.

That said, I think his M2 could use a buff to make it more appealing. There's not much incentive to use it over M1, and it's much harder to actually land. Maybe have it heal the team for each orb that hits.

Zenyatta is luck oriented though. If there's a Widow on the enemy team, you lose. If not, you win.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Zoness posted:

you can escape it even after the circle forms though

No, you can't, unless you're maybe one pixel inside it. I tried sprinting out as 76 from roughly in the middle between the edge and center, and couldn't make it.

With no movement abilities it's completely hopeless.

Additionally I'm one of those people who can't hear Mei's ult most of the time. I think it's because Chinese is so different from all the other languages in this game (which are all Germanic, I think?), so my brain just fails to parse it when combined with the other loud noises going on. That's my linguist opinion.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

The problem with countering Widow as Widow is that you two are basically playing your own tedious minigame while the rest of the team has all the fun.

I hate sniper vs sniper battles.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Lady Naga posted:

If they "fixed" hanzo hitboxes literally nobody would ever play him ever because, and this might be surprising, being a sniper firing relatively slow-moving projectiles that travel in an arc is really, really hard and requires some kind of compensation to even remotely measure up to hitscan weapons. In a world without Hanzo hitboxes McCree is a better sniper than Hanzo.

You say that as if it'd be a bad thing.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

I just realized Zarya's enemy ult callout is in Russian and is not "I'm going for the double steal".

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

General Morden posted:

does damage boosting the mech cause the explosion to do more damage

Isn't it already an instant kill though? I don't think I've ever survived it, even with a recent Sound Barrier.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

I have like six hours played of Roadhog and I still don't understand how M2 works.

Sometimes it really fucks people up despite not hitting them. Sometimes it's a direct hit and barely hurts them. Sometimes it does nothing.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Kanfy posted:

It's a pellet that flies a short distance and then explodes into a shotgun blast. The pellet itself does minimal damage so if the enemy's too close it'll practically do nothing but if they're a bit further away and in front of it as it explodes, it's like shooting them point-blank with your M1 and can potentially one-shot people.

It's extremely handy once you get the hang of the distance.

Does it explode forward or in all directions?

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

How do you counter Genji now that McCree isn't so good at it anymore? They just keep getting better and better.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

It seems like I'm pretty much forced to play 76 in every game now because nobody else is able to take down a Pharah. Hanzo? "Someone go soldier and kill the Pharah". McCree? SOLDIER KILL THE PHARAH. Roadhog? Nope, can't hook the Pharah.

The last six or so games I've been forced to play grandpa because otherwise the enemy Pharah flies unhindered, raining down rockets like a seagull rains poo poo.

I think I understand how support mains feel now.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Well, competitive has disappeared from the menu, at least on Europe. Did the season end or something?

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

How do you counter D.Va 2.0? The shield is up so goddamn much frontal assaults are mostly useless, and you can't headshot her from behind. :suicide:

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Papercut posted:

My experience in games like this (where say a rank 40 and a rank 60 are grouped and thus get placed in a 50 game) is that they're complete poo poo dominated by the high rank character. The rank 60 just chooses a carry character, constantly murders the other team, and none of the other 11 players learn anything other than that they're much worse at the game than the 60.

e: speaking as a purely solo queue comp player

I think 10 or so rank difference would be acceptable. When I was 58 I killed people at rank 60 with ease, and would presumably still do so if I actually got to fight them at rank 54.

edit: Why am I rank 54 now? I played after midnight, that's why. Never play after midnight, all your pleasant teammates turn into gremlins if exposed to Overwatch after that time.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Why exactly is payload victory determined by furthest distance in a game where pushback exists? Surely it should be distance at the end of the round?

It feels like a weird choice to me.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

It's kinda interesting how I'm at rank 50ish in comp but sometimes manage to solo the whole enemy team in quick play.

Interesting how everyone with any skill at all went to comp, I mean.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

How the gently caress do I counter D.Va? Between the shield and her superior mobility I can't even take down a bad one.

I mean, I can force her to retreat as Zarya but I can't chase so she never actually dies.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Star posted:

Right before the weekend started I hit mid-2800s and decided to try and push my way to 3000 and get diamond. Instead I've lost 200 points and had my worst losing streak this season. Not really sure why it happened, some games I've felt that I've played really good, other games I've sucked majorly. My teammates have ranged from terrible to amazing (love you, McCree with the golden gun) so I guess it's even in the long run. But anyhow, it's kind of nice in a way to not feel any pressure to win every game, accept the fact that I'm probably a 2600-2800 player and enjoy playing with Romanians who talk about Zarya's rear end in a top hat and call everyone "my friend".

Eastern Europeans are absolutely the best people to play this with. Especially Russians. They might suck at the game but their nihilistic attitude is like a cool breeze in the desert of rage. So what if we lose? Life is pain, friend. Have another shot of vodka.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Last season I won 8/10 of my placement games.

This season I won 3.

So either I got super lucky last time and I actually suck or all my teammates were idiots this time. I know which one I'd like to believe.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

I don't 100% understand how the tiebreaker system works.

Sometimes the team with less time left gets an extra minute. Sometimes they don't and the attacking team goes twice in a row instead. Maybe this depends on mode? But I'm pretty sure I've gotten the minute on both payload and capture so ???

Why are the rules so complicated :iiam:

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Kashuno posted:

If it's payload, whoever pushes the payload further wins. If it's a hybrid map and neither team caps the payload, it's a draw. If it's KOTH, there are no draws.

If it's 2 point capture, and both team capture point with time remaining, then both teams get another attempt using that remaining time with the minimum being 1 minute. If you have 30 sec and the other team has 1:30, you now have 1min and they have 2min. If, however, one of the teams captures in overtime they don't get a second attempt and the team with time remaining is the only team to try and capture again.

Oh okay. That makes sense. It's still weird but at least I see how it works.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

The more I play Soldier the more I think he doesn't actually counter Pharah.

Like yeah you counter BAD ones but the good ones move erratically as hell, and unlike McCree, Ana and Widow you actually keep to keep your crosshairs on them for a while.

Maybe I'm just salty because my last team had Ana asking me why I was failing at my duty, but I feel like she's a much better anti-Pharah.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

The tanks are more like spheres of death. You get into that sphere, you die. If you stay out of it they can't hurt you much.

If you rack up massive damage as Zarya it's the enemy that's playing wrong by coming into your zone of agony and lasers. Same with Reinhardt, he has no range but if people get into your face they get hammered.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Does performing well actually boost rank gain and decrease rank loss?

I think it might?

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Verranicus posted:

Has anyone else encountered the glitch where you're quite clearly on the point but the overtime just ends with a full meter anyway?

Yes, repeatedly. This seems commonly reported enough now to not just be wishful thinking. I've specifically been on the point and overtime ran out anyway.

Maybe it can't be extended infinitely anymore?

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Suddenly I've started winning all my games when playing as Soldier and Lucio. Before that it was the constant stomp->get stomped cycle. I've shot up like 300 ranking the last two days slampicking one of those two.

I dunno if I passed some invisible line where I can suddenly carry my awful teams or if matchmaker has decided to finally show mercy.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Rufio posted:

This isn't my experience at all. I'm ~2500 and nearly every match is close and there are often pretty dramatic comebacks and last stands.

I think it depends on if you're at your real skill level or not. If you get even matches all the time then you probably are. If you constantly stomp/get stomped you're probably being grouped with and against significantly worse people.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

I need some Lucio protips. When exactly should I use my ult?

I've been making the mistake of using it for every damage ult, which I've realized is bad. Like Mccree will just have to wait a second or two longer and then you die anyway. It also doesn't protect from D.Va's ult, which I thought it did.

So when DO I use it? Reaper and Pharah?

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

So Russia's best Widowmaker is apparently at rank 2400-ish.

Sadly she was on the enemy team and convinced me that even a slight buff is too much for Widow.

(Not sure if she's actually the best but I'd believe it, almost single-handedly destroyed my decent team)

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Boogle posted:

The problem is that it's the best 3 of 5 games instead of 2 of 3 like in quick play. This leads to long drawn out slogs with nobody likes.

This times a thousand, I have no idea why they made it a best out of 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

What's a good way to practice heroes? Quickplay is so bad I solo cap points as Zenyatta so I'm not actually learning anything. Yet if I play him in comp I get destroyed.

Do I just sacrifice some of my rank to do it or play infinity QP to eventually get decent games?