Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Herstory Begins Now posted:

You and I have different idea of what we want from an fps, but yeah that's not in any way wrong at all and if anything, that's explicitly what the game always sold itself as and was designed from the ground up to be.

I don't recall the game being sold as "first person wow arena" :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

headcase posted:

Well I don't remember it being marketed as an FPS and only 4/~30 characters have a somewhat traditional ranged hitscan so it can't be. It's more of a challenge mode "you can try to play an FPS in a non FPS game, but good luck with it."

Apex has two hitscan weapons out of 28, is it not an FPS?

TF2 is still the closest comparison to Overwatch that I can think of but that game is very different in ways that don't really fly in the current industry. More players, dedicated servers, progression not directly tied to performance etc. Afaik Engineer and Spy weren't viable in competitive TF2 and there's a whole slew of weapon loadouts that weren't competitive but who cares when the game that most people will be playing is a casual clusterfuck. This doesn't work in a ranked matchmaking scenario especially when the characters are distinct personalities that people can latch on, so there's always been friction between FPS and uhh not-FPS players with Blizzard managing to mostly please neither. We'll see how OW2 pans out.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Unless you're a support, yeah.

If you're doing a pacifist run, maybe. Lucio looks like a grand time especially.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Macaluso posted:

A) I'm really confused about what Soldier brings that Soujurn just doesn't do better. To build off that: B) Soldier now when he fires his gun, the crosshair slowly moves up?? Is that a new change or has that been in for a while? What is that? It feels absolutely SO awful to shoot his gun with that. At first I was like oh weird they added recoil but this is worse. It's like your mouse drifts upwards. It's awful. Yuck. Anyway, maybe his sprint really makes the difference between him and Soujourn but she just seems like a better Soldier. Doomfist is labeled as tank now but it doesn't look like they changed anything

Sojourn's left click is a fast projectile instead of hit-scan, Soldier has a heal and better movement in closed spaces. They're about as similar as Ashe and Cassidy, I think.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

So did any supports get a rework? Or am I just begging my dps for peel until I give up and play brig?

Brig did, ironically enough. Her shield bash doesn't stun anymore but goes farther and hits harder.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

So I claimed my key via twitch and restarted blizz launcher but I'm not getting OW2 Technical beta under the version list for regular Overwatch, am I a moron or is something busted?

Same here, probably takes a bit to flag the accounts.

EDIT: just got it

Arzachel fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Apr 27, 2022

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Countblanc posted:

Weird question but does anyone know what's up with people who don't own OW1 and getting to play the beta? A friend of mine got invited via twitch and it's letting him install OW1 as it says on the blog, but there's no option to play OW2 instead like there is for me (a person who owns OW1). I feel like I'm missing something obvious here.

https://twitter.com/andybelford/status/1519433939592441856

Took a while for the option to pop up in the client for me.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Wheeee posted:

two hours and still nothing

it is a sign

Did you go into https://www.twitch.tv/drops/inventory and actually claim the drop once the 4 hours were over?

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
They doubled the damage on Mei's left click, she's Pyro now

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

OtspIII posted:

I misunderstood the twitch drop system, and thought it was taking place on Tuesday (when I was busy all day) and not yesterday (when I was completely free), so I completely missed it. I take it that ship has sailed?

https://twitter.com/overwatchleague/status/1519436768612958209
This one is random draw instead of guaranteed though.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

urea posted:

After a few days, I'm not really enjoying OW2. The games often devolve into a deathball where whoever has the most raw damage and healing output wins, and occasionally you can find an opportunity to assassinate a healer, and then you win because your raidboss is now stronger than the enemy raidboss. Games just feel really one dimensional and unsatisfying.

Like, if i can trade my life for an opening pick on a support, I'll take that trade every time, because the force multiplier on the raidboss is worth so much more than my pitiful dps existence.

So you're saying it's still too similar to OW1?

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
He's right about everything except the gameplay changes, which are cool and good

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Yeah the solution is and has always been 'make support fun' and not add more and more layers of matchmaker mechanics and split the playerbase between different modes because making supports strong enough that people are fine playing them for a match is one change that blizzard simply refuses to make.

I don't like queues either but lets not act as if Blizzard wasn't constantly beefing up supports (and tanks) leading to fun stuff like goats, launch Brig and Baptiste. What changes are you proposing to make playing support more enjoyable?

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

KNR posted:

Paladins healers are more fun by virtue of having much higher damage output and DPS characters having various methods of selfsustain so the healers aren't as focused on babysitting the whole team. Overall higher time to kill, slower heals and everyone having short duration antiheal on attacks prevented GOATS style heal blobs.

I think they probably need to overhaul the roles beyond the scope of what they've currently done or would ever do. Fundamentally if roles are fun people will play them and want to play them and that's the absolute core issue that they have never figured out a way to resolve in 6 years. In competitive contexts that is skewed by people playing what will win over what is fun, but that's where active, regular, and proactive balancing comes in. Limiting roles removes a ton of the potential for game-breaking strong combinations of characters so it should free some player power cap and, as would follow, making the solo tank more powerful (eg fun to play) made more people want to play tank. Meanwhile supports have been unfun from the perspective of 90% of the playerbase for years now and afaik support power has only trended downwards over the last few years since it's peak around the time of brig/bap's introduction.

There are other things they could do beyond just making supports more powerful (and imo the direction to go there is make them more lethal and not to crank up the healing). Adding new supports would be a huge deal. They haven't added a support since March 2019. Beyond/failing that, they need to be proactively cranking the power level around until they find something that people actually want to play. What they have currently clearly is not it. Personally I'd love if they made supports more mobile and made that a core part of the role, particularly since the main target of most team fights is the supports, but that's also my personal bias towards finding mobility extremely fun in FPS games coming out. It's also a way of making weaker characters feel better, but don't tell blizzard that. Zen and anna's hopping back to their teams from spawn getting hacked and one clipped by sombras is definitely encouraging more people to queue up support.

Does Moira really need more damage? I don't think there's much room to directly amp up support damage even further. They could shift more healing effects into HoTs so you're shooting the enemy team with healing on the side instead of the other way around but would that pull in enough people that would otherwise queue dps?

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

supports were numerically strong because ow has insane health pools and high hps healing. supports also felt like poo poo the higher up you go on the ladder as the tracers and genjis and sombras and doomfists got better and better at just deleting them. Good at healing large health pools =/= feels good to play.

I don't think you've played the game the last four years if you think Genji gets to pick off backlines

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

teagone posted:

Honestly, 100% this and Symmetra. Rework them again to be supports.

Yes, bring back 350 hp raidboss tracer, now with extra raidboss Sombra. This will surely make people want to play support!!!

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
Moth Mercy was lol but they gave her a ton of air control when they reworked her and a good Mercy will be juking nerds for days

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
Blizzard asked people to stream on the OW1 category so the OW2 is barely used besides the first few days

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I refuse to believe that winston believes in, much less would willingly participate in capital punishment!!!

He's doing it for science

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Mattavist posted:

What would the PvE mode even be? Does anyone at Blizzard even have experience designing/developing repeatable PvE modes anymore?

It’s a ridiculous question given that this is the company that makes WoW, but then I remember which company it is.

They demoed PvE prototypes a couple times in conventions that were something between Warframe missions and Destiny strikes, with talent trees for every character.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

SgtSteel91 posted:

It's really funny arguing about a shooter having a PvP and PvE modes when Destiny 2 proves that its possible to have such a thing and it's still going strong

Uhh maybe Destiny isn't the best example, it's hard to describe the loathing Bungie has for that game's PVP community

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
It's hilarious how OWL is the whipping boy for every single perceived fault, people with completely opposite views will blame esports for whatever thing they don't like

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

headcase posted:

I tried to watch CSGO eleague one time, and it was the most absurdly boring 45 minutes of my life. There is nothing to see. Some dude crouching behind a box until 3 pixels that are imperceptible to a spectator stick out into a window. The "twitch faster" game is unwatchable and uninteresting.

OW2 was pretty decent to spectate, but not as good as OW1. There is too much dueling and mobility, and not enough consistent direction of play. OW1 was really interesting with the way play rotates around the tanks, and any deviation made an interesting story.

e: ow2 seems to be the 'corner the healers' game.

This is an impressive post

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

I blame Battleborn getting unfairly matched up against Overwatch even though any actual similarities the two had besides being colorful FPS's was minimal, in a better world Battleborn would still be alive and receiving support and that would satisfy the need for a FPS MOBA(honestly it's a hybrid genre that is surprisingly underserved right now)

Shooter mobas is a literal graveyard of a genre, off the top of my head - Battleborn, Crucible, Paragon, Gigantic all completely tanked. Monday Night Combat did alright but then they hosed up SMNC.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

DrunkPanda posted:

Well when they super-buff one role, then it makes open queue inherently broken since whichever team has more players on that role wins the game. Open queue is not a viable option for OW2, as a result

How is that different from OW1 open queue 6 dps shenanigans?

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
What kind of sick gently caress picks a character that gets to shoot things in a shoot game

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Minera posted:

Healing turrets would be sick but giving her a heal on right click as well as taking away her damage turrets would make her one of the most vulnerable support to flankers. I guess playing harder around teleporter resolves that a bit..?

This sounds like a clunkier Moira tbh

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

flakeloaf posted:

Don't forget access to the "battle pass" path, which contains only cosmetics, and lasts for a "season" however long that is

Blizzard said a season is nine weeks but we'll see if they actually stick to thay schedule

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

teagone posted:

How much are battle passes usually? $20?

[edit] Just to be clear, gently caress Blizzard's pricing model/practices and stuff. I'm just trying to find the sense in value for the $40 asking price for the Watchpoint pack.

Usually around $10. Fortnite and Apex also gives you enough premium currency to get the next one if you get most of the way through, Valorant doesn't. $10 for the pass, $20 in points (assuming $10 -> 1k points), two skins and 10 OW1 Legendary edition skins, if you don't have those already.

Arzachel fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Jun 23, 2022

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Codependent Poster posted:

I don't get why Sym got destroyed by the nerf bat. It's not like she was really ever being played. Why even take away the ammo refill when there's only two tanks who have shields?

Her right click was built for spamming chokes and shields and that's not happening nearly as often now. I think they wanted to make make it more useful for midrange fighting but the numbers are not there yet. She also has a blind spot where her left click won't quite reach but her right click is also useless.

BabyRyoga posted:

The TP change is two nerfs: a range nerf, again not sure why this was necessary, and a utility nerf since you can't just leave it at spawn to allow teammates faster return to the point in an overtime control point scenario, or constant access to high ground from the backline. For the cost of these two pretty significant nerfs, you get a change that MIGHT have a small benefit in niche situations in that her TP is faster to place and the CD could be up slightly faster from time of destruction in some scenarios when it doesn't get destroyed immediately. Actually, I forgot, it is three nerfs because TP health was also slashed by 1/3.

You can use the TP while the spawn animation still plays, it's both (a slightly worse) old TP and an instant movement ability now

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
I don't think anyone likes how they changed GA, hopefully it gets at least a band aid in the next patch

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

flakeloaf posted:

Agreed. Healing sucks cause nobody peels and football isn't fun for the ball, and I just don't get tanking, so I'm a DPS onetrick wheee

You just shoot them. I never played Mercy or Bap but all the other supports felt stupid strong right now.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Countblanc posted:

I've seen a lot of Strong Gamers say that Junker Queen feels good but her shout ability specifically is busted. This seems to be because if it's ability to shield teammates but that seems weird to me because like, that's what tanks do, yeah? Like I'll see a clip where a Queen's health buff is what makes the difference with a healer surviving and the Queen player will be like "see? That's dumb, I shouldn't be able to do that" but no one is like "wow my Winston bubble, an effective 700 health barrier which requires no more aim than Shout, just kept my teammate who was getting shot at alive, and that's bad and unhealthy for the game".

I have no hands on experience with this beta round - and even if I did it wouldn't be a top 500 level like these people are - so I feel like I'm just missing something obvious.

Zarya and Winston bubbles might not require much aim but they require intention, you're targeting a specific target/area and there's a big visual to indicate the effect. Shout does neither of these so that Mercy you're plinking at will arbitrarily get a 100hp overheal because there's a Junker Queen somewhere.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Field Mousepad posted:

Wait you have to pay to play the beta? What is that poo poo?

If you want to get in instantly or missed the sign up. They should be letting more people in this week and the last couple days everyone who signed up gets to play iirc.

Edit: can you still opt-in for this beta?

Arzachel fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jul 11, 2022

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

teagone posted:

Makes sense they would go with something like the Apex Legends model, right? Where you can either earn in-game currency via wins or whatever to unlock new heroes, or if you don't want to experience THE GRIND, you have the option to just outright pay for the new hero by buying OW coins or whatever equivalent with actual money and then use the OW coins to unlock the hero. Or did Jeff explicitly want new heroes to be free no matter what, i.e., available to everyone at absolutely no cost when they're released?

Apex ties most of your power into your weapons and equipment with character abilities as a layer on top of that. Valorant shifts power more towards character abilities but they're fairly generic within archetypes. Overwatch characters have completely unique toolkits and while the changes seem to have limited straight up hard counters, there's still a bunch of situations where you'd want to switch.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

I didn't say Respawn never gently caress up :v:

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Jack B Nimble posted:

How bad is Apex thought to be in this regard? I have my own internal rankings of the "big Three hero shooters" but it did occur to me that one could have considerably more or less cheaters.

It's not like anyone could tell the difference between a console player and someone aimbotting :v:

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
$15-25 for legendaries seems about right but 45 bucks for whale bait seems on the low end, honestly

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

comedyblissoption posted:

avoiding situations where people tell their team "i cant swap to X i dont have her unlocked" was a conscious design decision in ow1 lol

They also thought people would play multiple characters, switching depending on the situation, and that characters hard countering each other was fun and cool gameplay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

ow is designed from the ground up that hero switching is a vital and completely intended part of countering characters. beyond just the baseline :eyeroll: at the battlepass, that's why people are focused on that specific point

It was an awful design decision and they've been trying to get away from hard counters with OW2. Less ultimates, less generic crowd control etc.

The counter pick argument is extra silly because no one in the trenches of ranked, which is the only place affected by this, knows what to counterpick anyways.