Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

The goons I play with rolled this one team and one of their players was pretty salty. Called us a noob premade. I mockingly asked them what a premade was and this was their response.

Lmao, good lord. How do I report that person?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Dias posted:

Gah, I get super salty when I have a streak of horrible matches on solo queue, I should just leave the fuckin' group and cross my fingers.

At least the most recent poo poo match had a Zarya do a fuckin' clutch black hole into a team kill to rescue us from 99-0. We still lost because see above, but that was dope. Also a Mercy that didn't know how to heal. :\

I won a game as Lucio earlier in solo queue where I had 14k healing and the enemy Mercy had 3k healing. I laughed. Gotta give credit to the Tracer on our team though; she was loving up their backline real good.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

JollyPubJerk posted:

does the voting do anything? i win it a lot

If you get the epic card I think you just get more XP? I lied, apparently you don't earn anything.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I just learned from seagull's twitch that with torbjorn you can build a turret on a health pack and it'll eat the health pack to heal itself, lmao.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Fuligin posted:

Is it possible to get potg for non kill related activities?

I got a POTG for amping it up as Lucio during the beta once. Did it during a crucial moment on Nepal.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Watching the Alienware Monthly Melee... I saw Surefour reflect a McCree ult and flashbang at point blank range in a PotG. It was disgusting.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Anyone else who watched pro competitive OW the past two days, what did you think about new scoring system they used for the tourney? I think I liked it. I also wonder if the single hero rule on KOTH maps is going to become tournament standard.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Countblanc posted:

Do you have a link to the ruleset? I clicked a recording but couldn't infer any changes from regular stopwatch at a glance and I don't have time to watch more than a few minutes right now.

Here you go! http://www.gosugamers.net/overwatch/news/35551-3000-alienware-monthly-melee-online-tournament-to-hit-on-launch-day

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Countblanc posted:

Thank you very much. The one question I have is, does it always go to BO3, and if not, what determines if you go to the third map? Like if team A gets 3 points on maps 1 and 2 and team B gets 2 points on map 1 and 2 for a total of 6 and 4 respectively, does team A win or do they still go to the KotH map? Is KotH only busted out for tiebreakers?

Control/KOTH maps are only used for tiebreakers I believe.

[edit] Found a more in-depth guide to the new ruleset: http://www.gamepedia.com/news/1100-sign-ups-to-alienwares-monthly-melee-start-today

quote:

Two maps are guaranteed to be played. If both teams are tied after two payload maps, both teams ban a KOTH map each and the remaining map is played as a tiebreaker.

teagone fucked around with this message at 07:56 on May 26, 2016

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I got POTG for Lucio booping two guys off the cliff at Lijiang Tower - Night Market, but there's so many big crazy 5-fer replays that mine doesn't even feel worth uploading :(

Most I've ever pushed off the map with Lucio was a twofer also (was also POTG). It's a lot harder to get a fiver imo; has to be perfect conditions and whatnot. Still, any Lucio POTG is cool in my book :cool::hf::cool:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

cock hero flux posted:

not gonna lie, I'd start maining D.va if I got her Junker skin to drop

Me too. That skin is :krad:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Spiros posted:

Scoreboard helps me determine who is worth queueing with further or kicking out of my group for being bad, I don't like this false equivalency the current system provides

In-game awareness should be enough to see how bad someone is doing, e.g., one match I played my team was getting rocked by a Pharah hard and our S76 did gently caress all about it the entire match. Post-game, I right-clicked that player in my 'recently played with' list and set it to avoid him. Heh.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Countblanc posted:

if in-game awareness is enough to tell who is bad, why is it bad to have a scoreboard since people can apparently divine who to bm anyway

Not saying having a scoreboard is bad—I wouldn't mind seeing more stats on-the-fly. I'm just saying I don't think it's entirely necessary.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Just look up the career profile of the players you think did bad on your team post-game to confirm your ESPORTS analysis.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Minrad posted:

Says here they've got 6 hours on Widowmaker and average 2 eliminations a game

:drat: Or maybe, Widowmaker clocked in 8 hours with a 20% win rate. GAME IS TELLING YOU SOMETHING YO.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Spiros posted:

Drakes, are you, um, bad at overwatch or something. I'm sorry if we're hurting your feelings. We just don't want to play with you.

No need to be a dick, and jokes aside, the game does make it fairly easy for you to avoid players you don't want to play with.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Aranan posted:

All the streamers I've found are killing it with the offensive heroes. Does anyone stream support or tanks? I want to see a Zarya or Zenyatta tearing it up.

Moonmoon streams Roadhog. https://www.twitch.tv/moonmoon_ow

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Szcwczuk posted:

I have to be in the minority in thinking the entire concept of "E-sports" is stupid, I also don't understand the appeal of streaming so maybe I'm just old but I would be happy to never see a "pro" aspect to this game.

Too late! OW is likely gonna be huge, and will probably get picked up by TBS network's ELeague for Season 2.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Where do you rank Volskaya?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Lmao

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Minrad posted:

I noticed today that Hanzo wears only one sleeve of his clothing, and it reminded me of Auron in FFX, especially considering his young master skin wears his outfit normally.

Is it some cliche for ronin in japanese media, or is just justified by added mobility and looking cool? Searching for it pretty much just gives me zero useful information but I am sure there are some huge weeaboos here, with all the lum avatars from ADTRW showing.

A quick google search landed me on this vintage picture of a Samurai archer. No idea if it's accurate or just photoshoped.

Also found some links to stuff about Kyudo, the Japanese martial art of archery. I'm guessing what Hanzo and what the man in the photo are both wearing is garb meant for like meditation and spiritual training. I specifically remember a scene in The Last Samurai where I think the head Samurai guy's son is practicing his archery and is wearing the same thing.

[edit] Since I found your observation interesting, I went and found this video too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OA2EnemzBpk&t=80s

teagone fucked around with this message at 23:19 on May 27, 2016

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

her hair clashes badly with her design and also every single one of her skins sucks poo poo

she's fun as hell to play tho

The hair style or the color? And yes, her skins are terrible. She needs a fully-armored Vasquez themed skin:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Grammaton posted:

Do you need a microsoft account to store the vids? Or they save into a certain folder?

You can specify where the videos save in the Xbox app settings, but otherwise they are saved by deafault in Username/Videos/Captures

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Rocketlex posted:

This but for everything. Lucio is the best healer in the game and lots of people don't realize it because he doesn't play like medics they're used to. The team that bunches up around a Lucio is a team that stays alive.

I play lots of Lucio and tend to run around a lot to catch up to teammates on the verge of death to make sure they're in my aura range. The rush of feeling like you're in a race against time to save someone's life is so fun. Doesn't always work out, but when it does and my teammates and I are able to escape or eliminate, that owns. Lucio owns. :allears:

[edit] Also, breaking it down in sync with Winston and Torb ults is like a freight train of awesome.

teagone fucked around with this message at 04:30 on May 28, 2016

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Lady Naga posted:

Hovering from 50-60 per cent means the matchmaking is doing its job, I doubt even pro players will reach anything higher.

Seagull is sitting at a 73% win rate currently. https://watcher.gg/profile/pc/us/Seagull%231894

But I guess Seagull is an outlier, lol.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Dias posted:

How do you check that?

https://watcher.gg/ has a bunch of different rankings that you can filter out on your profile to see where you stack up in categories like KD ratio, best damage, healing, medals earned, etc.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Harlock posted:

Master Overwatch makes me feel good because it says I'm the #112 ranked Mercy. That's because its a system predicated on compiling. Play more = higher rank.

Master Overwatch bases the hero specific rank on your total score with that particular hero though. Isn't is possible for a good player to generate a higher hero score in less time played compared to a bad player who is poopsocking the night away using the same hero?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

26 loot boxes in and I got the actual legendary skin I wanted for Lucio (Hippityhop) without having to pay for it :allears:

Thanks Blizzard!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Gort posted:

I've only played a few hours but I loved the look of Reinhardt but he appears to be kind of terrible. Takes a long time to kill, but it feels like basically anyone can kill me by shooting me from range or at a height.

Is there some magic tactic that makes him good, or is he as bad as he seems?

Hard to judge a character based on a "few hours" but I think general consensus is Reinhardt is a good, true tank. Play more and git gud bruv. I'm terrible with all tank characters.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Lucio is king of the hill. And dope beats.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Dias posted:

please don't imply lucio is a drug lord with these "king of the hill" and "dope" mentions man

But Lucio is a drug lord. Of chill pills :smug:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Countblanc posted:

dude the fgc is going loving hamburgers for overwatch for some reason

It's the butts.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

NoDamage posted:

Anyone else think it's kinda weird that the POTG sometimes goes to a player on the losing team? I mean, congrats on getting all those eliminations or whatever, but if ultimately it didn't help your team win the match, what was the point?

Lmao, no. POTG and the cards at the end of a match are there to showcase players who did something cool or played well from either team. You know how on SportsCenter they showcase top 10 plays and such? Sometimes those plays are made by someone on the losing team. Doesn't make what they did any less impressive. Same logic applies in yer vidya game ESPORTS shootmans.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

CJ posted:

I think a big problem in this game is footsteps are so loving loud. it's all well an d good to say that you can just flank the Widow but when she can hear you coming form 20 yards away and just turn round and shoot you in the face or grapple away that's not a very useful counter.

Crouch walk then.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

If I get D.Va's junker Mad Max skin in a drop I will force myself to git gud with her.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Minorkos posted:

I wish it was at least somewhat viable to run a team without a healer

No one wants to play Mercy or Lucio, or should I say, Snorey and Bore-io

Me, I'll play Lucio for any team, because fun is subjective!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Countblanc posted:

Every time I see a Lucio get a PotG without getting an environmental kill I'm extremely impressed. Note that I've probably seen this three times ever.

I've gotten two Lucio POTG for ult shutdowns (both were on an enemy Pharah), and one for just doing a simple aura amp up.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Anecdote: I've single handedly contested capture points against 4+ enemies as Lucio by wall riding like a madman, dodging Roadhog hooks and hitscan players failing to track me. Those players were probably bad, but it's fun to juke them with Lucio's insane mobility. My favorite thing to do is probably scaling the wall/ceiling and center spire on the Lijang Tower Control Center map.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Brannock posted:

Crossfade toggle feels like utter poo poo to use. It doesn't work at all like Soldier's sprint toggle. Half the time I use it I have to make a second action to actually switch back to healing aura once I let go of Shift, otherwise it stays on speed aura permanently.

You don't need to bind a second action. Lucio has a hero specific "Hold to crossfade" option to make his speed boost work like S76's sprint, i.e., the toggle always favors healing mode, and you have to press and hold down shift in order to speed boost. Once you let you go of shift, it switches back to healing automatically. I personally prefer the toggle so I don't have to focus on holding down shift to make sick wall runs, but also because I'm used to it. There's a bunch of other hero specific options you can choose from too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCygSHeoe7Q&t=12s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Papercut posted:

I think he was saying that the option is poo poo because it's super buggy. At least that's my experience. Half the time I have to hit shift a couple times to get it to recognize that I've released shift and it should be switching back to heal mode now, thanks.

Oh i see. I played a few games with "Hold to crossfade" on and I thought it replicated a sprint button pretty well but it just felt odd since I was already so used to it being a toggle. I've never really had any issues with the toggle though, save for when I just started playing and always forgot to switch it back to healing heh. I also first thought you had to shoot your teammates to heal them after toggling the crossfade when I got into my first beta :downs:

teagone fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jun 7, 2016