Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Stoat posted:

What's the best way to find goongroups on PS4? Is there no way to make permanent groups/communities or whatever?

I was gonna tell you to play with me but lol PS4 are you retarded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
If Genji feels like a weak hero to you, you probably just shouldn't play him.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Being a lovely/mediocre Lucio is "automatic." Being a good one is APM af.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

anime was right posted:

how do you get all of these angry teenagers? was i rolled into the washed up grandpa queue?

You queue with coolguys and we're so Good and Smart that our team MMR pulls us out of the gutter trash queue

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Widowmaker is really good but the level of salt itt is pretty disproportionate. Just add a little more charge delay between shots and she'd be fine.

McCree is a way bigger issue, both competitively and casually.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

NTRabbit posted:

That Pharah death was just annoying enough to make me quit, for cheats I'm talking about the reams of snap-to headshotting Widwomakers, Soldier 76s who shoot like they have their ult on all the time, and Hanzos who never miss even the most extreme shots, like one who scored two headshots, in two different directions, mid air before hitting the ground. Don't care how much you practise for comp, that poo poo doesn't happen without technical help.

It sounds like you might just be a huge loving baby.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Thor-Stryker posted:

I would just like to reiterate how hosed up Blizzard's hitboxes for projectiles are:

Cool there haven't been a thousand posts and a bunch of redundant videos about this yet

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Teikanmi posted:

Playing Overwatch has made me realize how horribly dated a lot of the tech of League of Legends is. It feels so janky and clunky compared to Overwatch, the menu/client especially.

How did you not realize this at any other point in the last 5 years?

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
That's why I just continue calling him Pudge, everyone knows what it means

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Lady Naga posted:

Most characters oneshot mei.

No they don't. She has 250 HP.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Prav posted:

all i want for symmetra is longer primary range

actually faster secondary orbs would also be nice

Her left click range is really good though? And also aims for you.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Mercy is fine, just needs slower ult charge.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
New content is coming by end of summer.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Bolivar posted:

At some point in the thread I asked if the game counts stuff that hits Reinhardt's shield as "damage" and some guy answered with a yes which is really baffling to me. Because in that case, the game basically counts Reinhardt's health pool as 2500 HP for a lot of things (edit: well, you get a new shield after 3 secs anyway so it's basically a ridiculously large pool to feed bunch of things). And maybe that Mercy ult charge is less of a bug and more of the fundamental concept being wrong.

Shooting shields of any kind generally doesn't/isn't supposed to give ult charge.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Solo queued for a bit last night and met a pretty cool group of people who just got scrambled around on each of 2-3 consecutive maps. Got a couple friend requests.

I feel like people who think solo queue in this game is the Worst Thing Ever are probably bad players who blame teammates for their MMR.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
You're less likely to hear people on voice chat because of the way it pushes you into siloed voice channels automatically when you group queue. I talk on mic all the time when I queue with friends, but that means my pub teammates can't hear me.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Higsian posted:

They could just make flashbang do 250 damage to the closest enemy hero to the impact point with no CC and remove fan the hammer to be honest. If they want him to flashbang flankers dead they should just do that instead of this weird round-about way of doing it that gives him a way to delete other stuff too.

Internet Game Designers

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Digirat posted:

Ultimates are no fun whether it's me using them or anyone else. When anything you were doing or any plans you had get instantly shut down because another player had an uncontrollable and unpredictable advantage at the time, it feels like bullshit and like your performance doesn't mean anything until the ultimates are out of the way again when you can start actually playing again. When you press Q, nothing about what happens is satisfying because you know you just bullshitted them. Nice ambush, it's too bad I've Got You In My Sights so you lose, along with any of your teammates who made the mistake of existing nearby. Let me know when you're back from your spawn room and we can have an actual fight next time. Or maybe you'll have your instakill bomb by then so I'll lose that one.

Alright so there is literally no difference between an Overwatch thread and an Overwatch whining thread

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I'm the 18546th best Soldier 76, so needless to say AMA about being a mediocre video game player

I would rather have the 20,000th best Soldier on my team than the best Mei.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
If you're not a baby it tells you when you're underperforming and need to consider changing your strategy.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
For the record, your MMR and comp placement change depend on your individual performance as a player as well as whether or not your team loses. If you pop into this thread to bitch about how your rating sucks because your team made you lose, you are Dunning-Kruger as gently caress.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Good Will Hrunting posted:

http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20745504371#post-3

This should be in the OP - Kaplan goes into detail about everything.

Yeah, people should really pore over this post (that sounds sarcastic but it's not).

Also shouts to goony goon ExcalZ for making a good thread that prompted Jeff's response.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah if you are searching so desperately for ways to explain via the intricacies of the matchmaking system the reasons that your rating isn't accurate, it's accurate and you just suck.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Infinite Karma posted:

Can you bitch if you always feel like you're getting your rear end kicked? I know that I suck, so please match me with people who aren't 360 noscope sniping me all game every game. I'm not good enough to play against these tryhards, why the hell does matchmaking think I am?
Maybe you're better than you think you are! Cheer up, Friend. :unsmith:

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Treat the floor as lava and you'll be a better Lucio player.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

icantfindaname posted:

I dont care enough about this game to do the competitive mode poo poo but from what I'm reading the ranks are literally based purely on win/loss? Is that for real. Lol blizzard

lol how do you people remember to breathe

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
It's the "baseball stat" part that definitely needs some more tweaking; support players are being undervalued in the current system, and supposedly there's a major issue with KOTH maps counting for way less than assault maps in terms of rank points.

I am curious about the data behind the perception that it takes so many wins to counteract a single loss in competitive. I've experienced it too, but it can't be universally true or else everyone's ratings would be tanking simultaneously.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Sindai posted:

Confirmation bias is very powerful.

I was actually wondering why quick play MMR is invisible but after seeing how people react to competitive rating I now understand completely.

Yeah I have no problem with that, having seen the result of how Heroes of Newerth and DOTA's respective approaches affected player behavior. (HoN surfaces every stat possible and had a community that was about as lovely as you'd expect as a result. Yes, worse than Dota's.)

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

ImpAtom posted:

I think displaying your ranking like you're leveling up/leveling down is an issue because it makes it feel like "why didn't I get more experience points" which isn't what it is.

Actually yeah, there are probably some UI changes they could make at the results screen that would visually communicate "You were here, your opponents were here, this was the match result, so now you're here."

Only seeing your bar tank down or nudge upward leaves some blanks that you're left to fill in mentally with either educated guesses about how the system works, or the alternative "this is bullshit gently caress you Blizzard!!" explanation.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Matchmaking prioritizes group stack patterns above almost everything else that it considers (i.e. it really really doesn't want you to be a solo player against a 6 stack or whatever), but the likelihood of two 70+ 6-stacks that are otherwise a good match for each other queuing simultaneously is fairly low, so a full stack of pro players will likely end up matched with a full stack of 60ish players, and that's kind of a losing proposition for them. (The little-to-gain, lots-to-lose problem we've been talking about.)

Blizzard is considering how and when to bend the matchmaking rules to help cover edge cases like this. Maybe having a 6 stack against a 4-man and 2-man team is better when everyone is 70+, or maybe that wouldn't do much to improve matchmaking times and wouldn't be worth bending the system for. You'd need to see their data to know.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

ImPureAwesome posted:

Right, in an ideal system where blizzard got the algorithm perfect and no one got better or worse, the bar basically never go up or down because it has you pegged perfectly.

That's not really what he's saying and it's also not how the system is supposed to work.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

ImPureAwesome posted:

It's supposed to figure out who you're competitive against and keep you there unless you get better/worse

"Keep you there" means your level will go up and down but trend toward a particular number. Your performance from match to match (and moment to moment within a match) will vary irrespective of whether your "skill" is generally improving or not, and no system of this kind works without allowing fluctuation. The fluctuation isn't the problem; the way it currently communicates the reasons for that fluctuation is.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Rocketlex posted:

How about a system where your skill rating wasn't shown, but instead you had an XP bar that filled more or less at the end of each match based on your performance? Also, you could have shorter matches so that losses feel like less of a waste of time.

Then it ceases to be a skill evaluation and becomes a measure of grinding. You grind less/get farther if you're better, but that doesn't really matter (see: people in Quick Play getting bent out of shape about level differentials even though those levels don't indicate skill in any way).

Edit: :thejoke:

Brosnan fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jul 5, 2016

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

bagrada posted:

Yeah I got praised by a group for amazing healing on Zenyatta one game with randos, and it baffled me because I just tossed my harmony orb around to triage while focusing on trying to headshot the bad guys. So if anything they all deserved the praise for staying together, covering each other, ducking out of fire at 10%, and not going back in until my healing balls tickled them back up to full.

I do the same thing when I play healers (which is admittedly rare), but what I've learned is that most average support players don't see their role as one of hyper-vigilance. Good players are constantly in triage mode instead of "I'm just gonna stay glued to this guy and if someone else in my FOV happens to need healing then OK," and the difference is obvious to your teammates because they actually get healed when they need it.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Icedude posted:

For those character selection warnings, they need to get rid of the yellow one for "No Sniper" and replace it with a big red one for "Sniper on Attacking Team"

Also move the ranking bar so it's not its own screen and is just above/under the XP bar on the medals screen

You don't get to see what the other team has until the match starts, though. (Otherwise it would kinda turn into a game of hero select chicken, which would be dumb.)

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Dumb post.

Of course a Sniper can be useful on attack.

Oh I didn't even assume that his suggestion was this dumb.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Good Will Hrunting posted:

I played Zarya in QP last night and had a "let's see how this goes" moment when Dva was about to explode. Popped my shield and saw my damage boost go from low to 100 real quick.

You can only get 50 charge per bubble instance, but yeah Zarya owns. Always be looking for opportunities to save someone's rear end after a Roadhog hook or a Tracer ult or whatever and everyone will love you forever.

Mystery Machine posted:

People vastly overrate the value of healers and supports in low level games. Supports facilitate more aggressive, higher level play. If you're teammates aren't capable of that play, select something else. I don't think they're critical for winning even into the 50s.

You're loving wrong.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Wangsbig posted:

two lives and a blue beam aren't gonna make the dudes who empirically cannot kill people or stand on points be better at the videogame overwatch

If both teams are full of people like that then the one with healing and resurrections is pretty obviously going to do better?

(Also players who are 50+ are pretty well past the "how do I play this game" phase, even if Dota goon cynicism prevents admitting that)

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
e: fart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Wangsbig posted:

the guy we're talking about is 30, the rank which I imagine people who accidentally opened this game up on best buy display model tablets are assigned. having one more guy open palm slamming his keyboard and being able to deal damage is going to be way better than standing there watching a hanzo arrow out cartoon silhouettes of people's models

Look at the post I was responding to tho.