Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

monkey posted:

edit: Can you even imagine what John Carmack must think of all this? The guy who wrote Quake C, a whole language for modders, a cornerstone of the modding community, then having modders and pirates lumped into the same group by some idiots who outrank him. Poor guy. Same goes for Luckey to an extent.

My guess would actually be something much simpler; order cancellations. Long term, it's nothing but beneficial to Oculus if Vive users buy from their store, but what with the Rift launch delays, good press Vive got, and now Vive being "order and get in a week or two", and, yeah, ReVive making Oculus exclusives playable on the Vive, they're probably getting a fair number of people cancelling their preorders and switching to the Vive. Maybe not a crushing number of cancellations, but I'm sure there's some if only because gamers are notoriously impatient, and that probably worries Oculus. These early months are going to be critical for long term adoption. And if they can't fix the launch delays, what they can do is make people skeptical they can really play all those shiny Oculus exclusives on a Vive if they switch their order.

I doubt any decision makers at a company as tech heavy as Oculus can't tell the difference between ReVive and Software piracy. Saying the update was to stop piracy was only a fig leaf to cover up its real purpose of stopping ReVive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Thor-Stryker posted:

It's good to keep in mind that Facebook does some shady poo poo and you really shouldn't trust services that don't respect the ethical boundaries of the host nation.
Apparently OkCupid did some similar stuff to its users in the past as far as manipulating what a user sees.

This is in comparison to Valve, who just wants to sell you games and make PC gaming more accessible and visible

It's not that I think Valve are angels, but.. there's a saying, I forget the specifics, but it goes something like "If a service costs you nothing, then what they're selling is you." Valve increases its profits by making you want to buy more games, which they mainly do through low prices and being customer friendly. Facebook increases profits by getting personal information on its customers.

It's a bit early to say Oculus will go down that route (I'm of the opinion that Facebook mostly just wanted to set up a walled garden and sell software), but it's certainly something I'd worry about.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

The Walrus posted:

huge for us too - whatever trickery they used to make the lab look so good and run so well, I want everyone to be using it going forward

The Lab crashes every few minutes for me, so I'm actually a bit worried about this.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Knifegrab posted:

Huh weird, the lab has been one of the best experiences in terms of performance for me. No crashes and incredibly smooth gameplay. How VR ready is your computer?

i5-3570 and a GTX 970. I'm well aware that it's not a widespread problem, but for me it crashes randomly (regardless of what I'm doing). Sometimes just walking around in the main area, or playing any of the minigames, or whatever, and it will just crash (I get a crash notification on the monitor, but the Vive just goes black).

Performance is fine (until it crashes) even on a system that's not much above the minimum. I haven't had similar crashes in any other VR stuff.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

Thanks all for the lighthouse answers. Guess I'll just get a buddy with a drill to come over when the Vive shows up so I can mount them properly, and hope my apartment manager doesn't notice the spackling when I move out :v:

i also irrationally fear drilling into a wire by mistake but i guess that's not bloody likely

The Lighthouses aren't really a black or white thing. When I first got my Vive I just put them on bookshelves to test them out, which was 98% fine but had some occlusion issues if I got too low/in an area shadowed by the bookcase they were on/etc. Later I switched to the mounts, which not only put them higher up but allowed them to be tilted downwards instead of sitting flat, and that greatly reduced any occlusion issues. You could totally just set one on your desk like the Oculus cameras and the other on a table behind you if you wanted, but the better positioned they are the better they'll work.

In other news, Razer announced their OSVR headset. Specs are similar to the Rift, though I wouldn't be surprised if the Rift still has a bit better comfort/optics. The important part is the price, $399. Assuming no issues, that and the new RX 480 should bring the ceiling for a VR capable system down to about $1100 or so, though that's without motion controls so you'd mainly be limited to Oculus games played through Revive.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

All I need is for them to announce a special discount for CV1 preorders, so I can kick myself some more over that cancellation. :v:

On the other hand, given Oculus' current track record of completely alienating their user base I wouldn't be surprised if they announce Touch for $300 and a Rift+Touch bundle for $800 :p

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

People seem very upset about oculus exclusives but I'm not seeing much about Sony exclusives. Sony bought up all the big names. Oculus bought up some games that non vr people have never heard of. If these psvr games have any substance to them, people will flock to psvr because it has things they've heard of and it's easier to use than the PC headsets.

The only people losing here are people with a vive or osvr. Valve clearly doesn't care about exclusives because their money printer is still running full tilt.

There's multiple reasons, really. The main one, for me, is expectation; PSVR isn't really a direct competitor to PC based VR, and console games getting ported to PC eventually is a pretty big tradition. I fully expect that many of the games Sony is helping fund for PSVR will eventually end up on the Vive, assuming they even enforced exclusivity on them in the first place. They might contract with the developer of a Vive game to make their game available on the PSVR, but they're probably not going to care whether it's also available on the Vive. In fact, there's a bunch of PSVR titles with Vive compability, like Eagle Flight, that I'm looking forward to but would probably never exist without the PSVR.

Meanwhile, yeah, I didn't really care much about Giant Cop. But what if Oculus walked up to the creator of Budget Cuts and said "I'll give you this suitcase with ten million dollars if you make your game an Oculus Touch exclusive"? Hyperbolic, sure, but I'm far more worried about Oculus doing something like than than Sony.

Other stuff, too. Like it's probably far more work to make a PSVR game work on OpenVR than it is to make an Oculus SDK game work. Or that, yeah, consoles have much more history with exclusives. But mostly that I see PSVR games as more defensible in the "we want these games for our platform" whereas Oculus exclusives feel more like "we want these games to not be on their platform."

Mordaedil posted:

Uh, seeing as they require a PS4 to run...

I'm pretty sure they mean contractually, in which case it's hard to say. There are certainly PSVR titles that announced Vive/Rift compatibility, but what contracts Sony has with other developers is unknown. It could easily be that some developers just don't think the Vive/Rift market is large enough to justify a port. I doubt Sony considers PC VR a competitor in the same way they do, say, Xbox.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jun 14, 2016

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

Do we know it's six months? The guy from Croteam just mentioned oculus offered to pay them in exchange for the game being released first on their store and then later on other platforms. There was no mention of a timeframe. I'm sure with how lovely Oculus is being, it will end up being several months, but do we have any confirmation of how long?

The guy from Croteam said six months specifically (the post has since been deleted).

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Thor-Stryker posted:

I wonder what would have happened if facebook hadn't bought out Oculus: would they have been drm free? Would they have the money to pay for game exclusives? Would they even have been successful given that Valve was already secretly prototyping?

It's interesting that HTC is offering money to invest in a variety of companies that would find a use for VR while Facebook is desperately trying to lock down gaming companies to propagate their storefront.

If Facebook hadn't bought Oculus, Oculus would have stayed a pure hardware company. That's the real reason that Valve was happily sharing all its R&D with Oculus until the buyout was announced; I'm sure Valve happily works with AMD and NVIDIA on R&D, too. Facebook buying out Oculus was a sign Facebook wanted to be the Steam of VR, and it broke up the Valve/Oculus partnership for obvious reasons. So if they'd never bought it the Vive might not exist at all, or look very different (HTC claim they were working on VR before being contacted by Valve).

I'd guess that we would have gotten an Oculus CV1 a year ago, with more basic features but a lower price, and right now they'd be working on an Oculus CV2 with Valve's help with motion controls and possibly even a Lighthouse type tracking solution. Other companies would probably be announcing their own HMDs, but without Valve's support would be facing a more difficult path to commercial success.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Anyone have any issues with House of the Dying Sun performance wise? It's on my short list of titles to pick up for the Vive but I'm fairly close to the minimum VR specs (i5-3570 and GTX 970) and I've heard it can be demanding.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Michaellaneous posted:

Not here. Almost 700 euros.

Anyway, questions about the basestations.
Do they need vision on the controllers as well? I am scared that one edge of my room will be blocked off by my table.

When I first got my Vive I set a basestation on a bookshelf, with the result that a corner of my play area was "blocked" by the bookshelf. It did cause problems in that if the controller got in that area where it couldn't see one base station, *and* the other base station was blocked by my body, it would start drifting out of position. So I don't recommend it if you can avoid it.

Other than that, the base station is supposed to have about 120 degree field of view. So if you're mounting it facing 45 degrees down, it should be able to see both directly below it and straight ahead just fine. Other than that I can't really speak from experience, since both my lighthouses are outside my play area.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Blooshoo posted:

I just read a cool article about magic leap and I'm thinking of getting one of these VR things now, even though I know it'll be cheaper and better in a few years. I ordered some google cardboards because im cheap and it might be fun to poke around without a huge monetary commitment. Anyone try those out and recommend any apps or what have you?

I don't have Google Cardboard, but from everything I've heard, you get what you pay for. I've heard it's best for watching 3d movies.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Poetic Justice posted:

Since Touch is working with SteamVR now there are a lot of dev posts on /r/oculus talking about/showing it's capability. As many of us assumed, Touch works fine in 360 roomscale when you set up the cameras like you would Lighthouses, there is no weird occlusion issues and the range is fine as well. Get hype :)

Well, some devs have said it has trouble, to be fair. But it at least appears to mostly work.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

GlyphGryph posted:

They absolutely are, I'm sure. Valve must not be too happy, though.

They said they weren't happy since it was basically using Steam to advertise Oculus Home, but they didn't stop him either.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Does anyone have a link to that rift vs vive fov comparison that sets it all out super plainly with overlays and stuff?

This one?

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

AndrewP posted:

I dunno. I've watched a loooot of videos of people using the Vive and barely any use 15' X 15'. Most seem to just use only few feet in each direction, almost like they either forget they haves wider area or the cord is too much of a hassle. So I'm really not super concerned about this.

Or they want to stay in the camera focus for their video. Just saying.

I have a 6' x 8' play area, which should be just in the range for perfect Rift tracking, but I'm definitely looking at potentially rearranging stuff to get a bigger area because more space is great. So while I'm definitely happy I got the Vive I do also agree that the Rift's tracking area will work just fine for the majority of users.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

TorakFade posted:

hello guys

I read the OP which is most informative, but having absolutely zero experience with VR, I would like some opinions.

I am very intrigued by the concept, but seen that the prices are so steep it's not really an impulse buy; first of all, is it worth the admission price? Computing power is no issue, if my rig can't run it it's time for a new rig :v:

Considering that the only game I currently own that can do VR is Elite, and other games I normally play are mostly 4X/grand strategy, a few racing/space flying games and RPGs/adventures (including say Assassin's Creed and similar games) - does it make sense to get a headset?

How does the future look for games? Will most games support VR, or will it remain a novelty relegated to specifically-designed games?

I like to be comfortable and play seated down, I own a HOTAS, a racing wheel and a joypad and I never liked motion controllers like PS3 Move or the Wii. Also the PC room is under the roof and so has a slanted ceiling, it's not regular-shaped - would it be a problem for the tracking?

The room kinda looks like this, with less bed and more gaming equipment/TV:

Right now, there's basically two sorts of VR games; conventional-ish games that use a VR headset for 3D and presence (Lucky's Tale, Blazerush, Chronos, etc), and games specially designed for VR that try to literally put you in the game (Vanishing Realms, The Climb, Fantastic Contraption, etc). There's a sort of middle ground between the two with simulator games that put you in a cockpit or driver's seat.

In the future, I'd expect more support for the first group, as developers decide to add VR modes to their games, but the second group pretty much requires either being designed from the start for VR or major changes to an existing game (like Fallout 4). While there will certainly be games in the second group for the foreseeable future, the limited market might mean it remains more the domain of Indie games than big AAA stuff.

Simulators, luckily, aren't as difficult to adapt to VR, and I'd be pretty surprised if many going forward don't at least offer basic VR support.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jun 29, 2016

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Abu Dave posted:

in a monumentaily bad decision I bought a vive :suicide:

Eh, what were you going to buy with that money anyways, food? The Vive... entertainment and a diet aid!

More seriously, while not perfect the Vive does have the largest field of view (or rather, the largest per eye field of view, which might help with your black space complaint). If that was your biggest concern you made the best choice (That involves buying a headset, at least). If you end up hating it there is a 30 day return policy, IIRC.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Vadoc posted:

I want a VR game where I'm crushing a city. Or also fighting giant monsters while the city gets crushed in the fight.

Probably the big limitation there is that VR only tracks your head (and hands if you have the Vive or Touch). Most games do a decent job of predicting where the rest of your body is, but they couldn't let you kick down buildings without full body (or at least foot) tracking.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Honest Thief posted:

How's Oculus' manufacturing and shipping for the UK? I got a friend living there and I'm considering shipping to his home either a Rift or a Vive and then go pick it up, but I remember hearing about how Oculus wasn't shipping new hardware for some reason.

I think the Vive just raised their price to the UK by 70 pounds today to make up for the shifting exchange rate, unfortunately :x

Last I heard Oculus had caught up on shipping, but I admit I haven't been following them as closely.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

jonathan posted:

Any rumours on when the good HMD's come out ie second gen ? Trying to decide when to build a new gaming PC.

I doubt it will be any time soon. There are a few rumors on a version 1.5 with maybe better design or a few new features, but I doubt we'll be seeing a new generation of HMDs with higher resolutions and similar until late 2017 at the earliest. All but the most powerful PCs already struggle with the current gen.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Tide posted:

So, really thinking about picking up either the Rift or Vive for my mancave. How is it for multimedia experiences such as movies or watching sporting events? A close second use will be for flight sims (also, which works best?)

Is a 1070 or 1080 plus 16gb really a difference maker over a 970 and 8gb, assuming all else equal?

As much as I am a diehard Vive fanboy and love it for roomscale/motion controls, the Rift has advantages for flight sims. Can't speak for movies/sporting events, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Rift also has advantages there (it's lighter, for one thing, and has a slightly sharper image). My only warning would be that if you're significantly nearsighted and wear glasses, the Rift only fits glasses below a certain size.

A 1070 or 1080 is definitely an improvement over a 970, yes, though a 970 is workable (it's what I use for my Vive). If you already have a 970, I'd keep it for now and upgrade later if you need the improved performance; if you're buying a new card anyways, I'd definitely suggest the 1070.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Aug 14, 2016

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

SlayVus posted:

I've seen the StressLevelZero have a warehouse style setup already with just the two LHs. They did 27' apart and had no sync issues, which I want to know how... I have sync issues with them just 6.6m apart.

They used a cable for the lighthouse sync. Isn't the included sync cable like 50' long?

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

The lighthouses use bluetooth or RF to talk to each other if they are not connected via sync cable. RF noise most certainly does matter.

Nah, the bluetooth is for communicating between the computer and the lighthouse. The Lighthouses use the same IR to sync with each other as to track the headset. It's just more of an issue since the lighthouses are going to be further apart with the Vive in the middle.

Poetic Justice posted:

Even if they did update the firmware, the sensors in the headset and wands can't support more than two basestations.

It's just a timing issue, so the headset and wands could be made to support more than two basestations with a software update. The real issue is refresh rate; currently Lighthouse 1 will scan the room, then Lighthouse 2 will scan, etc. Adding a third or forth lighthouse, assuming you had a way to sync them, would increase the delay between each individual lighthouse scanning. Eventually you'd reach a point where the delays were too long. There's probably a way to deal with that, but it would be a more complex problem to solve.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Aug 23, 2016

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Hadlock posted:

Now that I think about it, occulus' delay on the hand tracking might even be a retooling of their product to support lighthouse technology? Just because they shipped their developers camera based tracking doesn't mean they can't change the hardware. After all the developers just use an API; the hardware is way abstracted away.

You mean Touch? No, Touch is still going to use cameras. They're really completely different technologies, and it's going to be interesting to see what gets used for what.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Poetic Justice posted:

Alan Yates has tweeted that this generation of sensors in the headset and controllers only support TDM.

Yeah, but that doesn't mean they can't be set up to use more than two lighthouses, just that it runs in to the refresh rate issue I mentioned.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Poetic Justice posted:

Adding a 3rd would reduce it to 45hz, which is pretty low, and I'm not sure if that would be high enough for good tracking?

If you're in view of all three base stations, you'd in theory track at the same rate (the Vive can determine position off just one base station). Similarly, the tracking would be the same with one basestation occluded (technically, it would be faster, but irregular; the longest gaps between tracking updates would be the same, they'd just happen less often). It would only really be an issue if you were occluded to two of the base stations and only visible to a third, but then the tracking might start to get kinda drifty, yeah. Unfortunately it gets more problematic with 4; even assuming you're tracked by 2 of the four stations at any one time, if those two stations are sequential then you'd have a long spike with no new tracking info while the other two ran.

In practice the main benefit of more than two basestations would be if you were going to have large occluded areas tracked, for instance, two rooms with a pair of base stations in each (or just one very large room), and that would work poorly due to the sequential tracking format. There's not much benefit to having more than two in one area since, as above, being tracked by 2/3 is pretty identical to being tracked by 1/2. So there probably isn't much reason to add support for more than two base stations until they solve the refresh issue.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Aug 23, 2016

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

No shock there. I've been predicting something similar since we first got word on the Vive, since it would be basically required for liability reasons if they're going to do anything room scale.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

Chaperones don't reduce liability.

I'm pretty sure it reduces accidents. The rest is just semantics.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

With Elite I might recommend something better than a 970; maybe a 980 or a 1070. It's pretty taxing.

For almost all other games a 970 seems to work fine, though.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Basic Chunnel posted:

Do we even know of any big investments by game publishers into exclusive content?

Bethesda has been talking up their Fallout 4 VR and Doom VR games as Vive titles, but it's unclear if that would actually be exclusive; SteamVR naturally supports both, so they only reason it would be a Vive exclusive would be if they added their own hardware check (they're currently involved in a lawsuit against Oculus). They haven't said they'd do it, but they've also been quite conspicuously saying it was a Vive game instead of a Steam VR game. Other than that, not really.

As for your original question, I don't think we're heading down a betamax road unless Oculus completely dominates the market. The Vive might be Valve's brainchild, but it's manufactured by HTC, and Valve is mainly interested in it to keep Oculus from trying to lock them out of the VR market. Since Valve makes its money on game sales instead of hardware, it's in their best interests that SteamVR support as many devices as possible, not just the Rift and Vive, and they've carried through on that so far. SteamVR might not be open in terms of open source, but it is open in terms of hardware manufacturers being able to support it.

So... unless you think Oculus Home will crush Steam, I wouldn't worry too much about it :D

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

There was a game called Jurassic Park: Trespasser where you ended up trapped on the island from the second movie and had to escape while shooting dinosaurs. What's interesting about it is that it tried very hard for a sort of early "presence." Your gun wasn't aimed at the center of your screen; you moved your hand around with your mouse and shot what the hand was pointing at. You could solve various puzzled by moving your hand around. There was no HUD; you got all information from environmental cues.

Now, Trespasser wasn't a great game. It was also terribly received due to performance issues. But, it shows you can do a full game just fine in VR, motion controlled style. I agree with the idea that right now we're in the era of "VR Pong"; games build on previous generations, and right now there aren't really enough consumers to justify huge investments of time and resources into making the best possible games. Not to mention the hardware is functional but could be improved. But all of those problems will fade in time.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

My brother got a Vive and it's been losing tracking in a really dramatic way, like things will fly all over the place and the Vive will literally shut itself off and reboot.

He said before it would happen every 8 seconds or so and after some tweaking of the setup he's up to 2 minutes.

He said he talked to HTC and they indicated it was maybe from a non-optimal setup; he doesn't have sunlight or mirrors there but his room is pretty small. Still that seems weird that it would actually reboot. Anyone else heard of that?

I had a problem where Vive would occasionally lose tracking for about 5-10 seconds, come back, then blink off twice more and be fine (for awhile, eventually doing it again). It seemed to happen when I was using the integrated microphone and sound, and had been playing for awhile; eventually thanks to a lot of google searching I turned up a problem where the Vive could overload the USB connection (particularly if you're using the front facing camera). I updated my USB drivers and viola, hasn't happened since. Dunno if that's your brother's problem, but it's something to look at. Might also try changing from a USB 2.0 port to USB 3.0 (or vice versa).

Another possibility is the base stations. If he has the steamVR window up it should pop up with an error "IE Headset lost tracking", "Basestations lost optical sync", etc. Back when I first got my Vive I had some error where after a few weeks the base stations started sometimes restarting randomly, but unplugging them and then plugging them back in somehow fixed that.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

d0s posted:

I'm currently trying to decide what VR headset to get, I demoed a Vive at a MS store yesterday and just came back from a Rift demo at Best Buy today. I liked the Vive's roomscale/tracked controllers a lot but came away feeling like the Rift was the better headset due to comfort, the headphones, clarity. I've heard that there are some issues running the VR games on Steam with the Rift, that they perform worse etc. Pretty much everything I want to play is on Steam, would this be a big deal if I got a Rift? I really wish there was just a single VR platform that was the Rift headset with the Vive's everything else.

e: also am I wrong to assume that most currently Vive-only stuff like SPT (which I love) will end up supporting the Rift as well once the touch controllers come out? There are a large number of Vive-only games I want to play and this may be the real delabreaker against the Rift if they end up staying exclusive to Vive

Other than not being able to try out the Touch, I think the Rift + Touch should work fine for most motion controller stuff. If you're really sold on the headset, my suggestion would be to wait until Touch comes out and see what people make of it; as is, you wouldn't be able to play motion tracked games on the Rift until then anyways.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

FuzzySlippers posted:

Oh man Minecraft in vr like constantly gives me vertigo moving pretty much at all in immersive mode. Do I just not have my 'vr legs' or does it require better than average motion sickness aversion? I was surprised people were saying they enjoyed it as I thought standard fps movement in vr was always bad.

Unless they specify the official version, they might actually be referring to Vivecraft, which uses a completely different system.

I was talking to a Rift owner about Minecraft, and it was like we were talking past each other the systems are so different. Is it true that if you turn your head and then move forward it still moves you the direction you were facing before you turned? That sound like barf city to me, but I guess it makes sense if they assume you're playing it sitting at the computer.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

I'm guessing that's probably a joke, but Vive Thread

I'll give things at least a little benefit of the doubt until there's more confirmation, but unless that article is pretty much pure libel it looks pretty bad.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

Palmer Luckey has to be wacky, this is his new version of sandals with a business suit.

He's playing the long game. The more the world becomes a hellish nightmare, the more people will want to escape it with VR.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

fenrif posted:

Speaking as someone from the UK who doesn't really care about the US election because both candidates are morally degenerate reprobates: Could we go back to the topic of VR?

I just got a VIVE yesterday. Set it up and had a go of the lab. Now I need more games. I've got nearly everything that's free downloading as we speak, so take them as a given.

What are some must-plays? I'll drop cash on antyhing as long as its not £40 for a 30 min "experience."

If you want to pretend you're Legolas and get a hell of a workout doing it, there's also Holopoint. It's sort of a more physically active Space Pirate Trainer where you use a bow.

Vanishing Realms is great if you want to be the one actually exploring a dungeon and having swordfights with skeletons, instead of controlling a character doing it.

Tabletop Simulator is, well, you have a table in front of you with board games on top. You can play it conventional style with a mouse and monitor, but being able to actually be there and move pieces with your hands is nice. However it's exclusively multiplayer and if you use VR you need to be using voice chat to communicate for obvious reasons, so great if you can find a group to play with but otherwise kind of lacking.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

BMan posted:

lol

Please, tell me more about how it is stupid to boycott a luxury product because an employee did something racist.

e: To be clear, I personally am not boycotting Oculus because of this. I was already boycotting them for other reasons.

I have no idea why people want to kick the Palmer discussion out of the thread, this stuff is gold.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

They seem to be marketing it as the first 4K headset and that is pretty much the only thing going for it.

Plus it's cheap.

But yeah, it's a hastily put together package that doesn't benefit from all the R&D Oculus and Valve/HTC put into determining what makes an HMD actually work well. Just being high resolution doesn't make up for the other issues, and in fact it's probably a bad thing in the long run (with the potential for people to go "I heard this VR stuff was cool but I tried one and it was awful and made me sick").

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

Steam isn't the Vive platform, it's a VR platform. Valve worked with HTC to create the Vive to have a device capable of running room scale games on SteamVR. HTC doesn't get anything from Steam.

HTC is also a Korean company, and so they might be looking at the Asian markets where Steam isn't as completely dominant as it is in NA and Europe.