Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

nelson posted:

No one will ever need more than 640k of RAM.

Mobile VR is the future. Just farther in the future than PC VR.

I have a really hard time seeing it work out that way.

I mean, in a way yes, but in a different way no, at least not the way we think of mobile today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

El Grillo posted:

The original Kotaku article which seems to have been corroborated by Polygon: http://kotaku.com/sources-smaller-xbox-one-coming-this-year-more-powerf-1778634446

XBox have been conspicuously absent as far as a response to PSVR is concerned, so it doesn't seem too far-fetched. Just hope this doesn't lead to more consumer-loving.
e: why the gently caress does Kotaku have to have separate region-specific sites

People were really mad that they covered more than just video game news at some point. Their name kinda gives away that they are very Japan-focused though.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

I think I'd be fine with a non 3d gta.

So GTA2?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
"if you ignore touch" s kinda like saying you might enjoy driving with a steering wheel.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
What a shame that it's locked to a store when it wouldn't need to be.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Well, I don't mind as much as I'm sure it will bite them a bit and they'll recognize exclusivity as the toxic it is. Especially since VR isn't all that big yet.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Knifegrab posted:

Its hard to say, I'm sure we all have opinions about it but what are the sales saying to Oculus? Surely its been profitable because it seems they are still reaching out to more and more studios for these exclusivity offerings. Incredibly lovely and disappointing.

The exclusivity deal is going to take long while before it starts actually making a markedable trend in their profit margin, it is too early for them to learn and understand exactly how badly this fucks them up, and because gamers are such lovely consumers, they will be led to believe this is a positive trend for a while.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Lemming posted:

It's smooth for me. I have a 970. I can't really run Chrome in the background and I have to turn the resolution down to 720p and some of the settings to medium, but if I do that it's fine. I got judder every so often in the Vive but with the Rift it's smooth.

That's an odd definition of "smooth" if I ever read one and it makes me consider your posts thereafter. I get that you refer to fps, but that seems like quite a bit of a sacrifice to achieve that.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Infinite Monkeys posted:

The OP sure has a lot of unexplained acronyms.

VR = Virtual Reality.
3D = Three dimensional.
PC = Personal computer, usually referring to a desktop computer.
HTC = Taiwanese cellphone company, name taken from founder HT Chou.
HMD = Head-mounted display. ie. a box strapped to your face.
DRM = Digital Rights Management or how to inconvenience your own customers and make pirated copies the superior version.
PSVR = PlayStation Virtual Reality. Sony's attempt at stepping into virtual reality.
PS4 = PlayStation 4. The fourth iteration of the SNES CD-rom drive.
UAC = User Account Control. Microsoft's invention to make life a living hell for all people using their OS
OS = Operative System. Windows is the most likely one you've used in an office environment. MacOS if you are an artist or a teenager.
USD = United States Dollar.
HDMI = High-Definition Multimedia Interface. It connects to your TV, or in this case, into your graphics card.
TV = Television. An outdated piece of technology trying very hard to remain relevant.
RGB = Red Green Blue. Colors. Usually has something to do with monitors when used in this context. It depends heavily on the context in which it is used in.
StarVR/Fove/OSVR = Nobody knows yet and it probably shouldn't even be on your radar until we know more.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
No sense in talking about Vive things in here, just take it to the Vive thread and keep this Rfit only.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

theBeaz posted:

Everyone is doing such a good job ignoring them but since they keep trying to press their agenda here I just had to respond:

This is not the "Rift thread". This is the "VR thread". VR is going to change pretty rapidly in the next 12-18 months and it's nice having a megathread for it. The "Vive thread" was formed so some people could ironically wall themselves off from the Rift folks. However many of us are gaming enthusiasts and like hearing about both/all technologies. This thread is best thread. Go play console warrior in the other one.

Naw, this is the Rift thread, because it's pretty nasty to read this thread if you own a Vive. You are basically told you are self-entitled douche, even when you just want to talk about what is actually going on in the industry and people would rather ignore the current standing for what-might-bes, because that is all the rift has going for it.

Maybe at some point, when cooler heads prevail can the threads consolidate, but as it is, it's pretty rough to be excited about VR if you're just spending time talking about how your choice of HMD is going to one day be made inferior, just you wait.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Could be that they will launch on GoG's VR store.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

GlyphGryph posted:

This one

http://steamcommunity.com/games/TabletopSimulator/announcements/detail/876326228257182968

They are working on VR be, the game itself is already out though!

It's already out. The VR for it, I mean.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Poetic Justice posted:

Brother . . .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEhOivWqGmA

that's with two crappy usb1 extension cables.

How much are you getting paid to post?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
It's a jest.

But you are just being extremely and oddly defensive about the Oculus Rift to the point where it looks almost like you are shilling for their product against any type of criticism. Like really, even not acknowledging the products current shortcomings.

Really, which is more insane in that context?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Poetic Justice posted:

Actually, no I'm not, that's why I think you are insane.

Edit: The Rift is a better headset.
Now you are arguing subjective opinion, as the Vive is better for glass-wearers and the Rift has no covering on the nose to prevent light from flowing in. Both headsets have things they could improve on and the advantage one has is really miniscule for the price offering, so it becomes a matter of "what else" it offers and... Well, the Vive just has more, even if you do have to pay a bit more for it.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

BossTweed posted:

Why does it matter if there is chaparone now?

A chaperone prevents you from walking into furniture or hitting walls or tables accidentally.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

Maybe they could detect when you're sprinting at the wall and then just flash the screen to give you a seizure so you fall down and don't break your walls or windows.

If you are sprinting in VR, I'm pretty sure something is wrong.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

Tell that to all the people who have done it.

Don't run in VR Cojawfee.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
They haven't used Gamebryo since Skyrim, Bethesda are just that bad at coding their own poo poo.

The oddness with the game engine was never Gamebryo's fault. It was all Bethesda and their lovely programmers.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

El Grillo posted:

I thought Creation was just the next iteration of Gamebryo? Still has plasticine faces etc.

Literally has nothing to do with the game engine! That has everything to do with their normal maps and the render they use. Which used to be a part of gamebryo, but isn't really. A game engine runs scripts, sends projects to the render and handles such operations as binding keys to actions, sorting data for saving and issues compression, which isn't handled directly by the engine itself.

Gamebryo was a package that offered a lot of these things for free in a package deal, but the engine itself wasn't bad, it is in fact pretty impressive, but the developers at bethesda of course learned how to script their stuff from what they alread knew, so on the surface an entirely new engine is just going to move the same parts, just a bit differently.

Things like walking diagonally wasn't easy for gamebryo to handle because of the way it interpreted keypresses, and it was only kind of added in Skyrim by re-writing the entire movement code.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Yes, but none of that is Gamebryo. That's just Bethesda. The same console commands that work in Oblivion doesn't work in loving Civilization IV. They are both Gamebryo games. The engine isn't related. I don't want to be held responsible for people misattributing the wrong terminology to Bethesda's lovely coding.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

I feel like they would have to make an entirely new game in order to add VR in to Fallout. Like the guy mentions in the article. Teleporting completely nullifies the need for a sneak skill. You could sneak across a hallway hoping the raider doesn't see you, or just teleport across the hallway. Unless they make the teleport be really loud and have lots of flashing light to make it very obvious that someone is teleporting around. They are going to have to rework a lot of the game to prevent cheesing everything with VR.

Fallout 4 already did away with any pretense to be anything but a shooter already.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

EdEddnEddy posted:

I am excited for a lot of this stuff.

If The Doom/FO4 VR games end up being them with Controller Tracking for hands/gun aiming, that will be perfect, especially if they keep the locomotion mapable, that will make the games immensely better in the Virtuix Omni and the current VorpX hack way to get the game to work currently with a gamepad and using face aiming. I guess we will see.

How affordable is the Omni going to get to be? I can't imagine it being cheap having a big threadmill in the middle of my living room being extremely cheap.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

Is Sony actually locking these PSVR games to their platform, or could they eventually be ported to PC after a while?

Uh, seeing as they require a PS4 to run...

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Kazy posted:

If it's any consolation, Oculus hasn't offered me any giant sacks of money yet.

Where are my giant sacks of money, Oculus? :argh:

Kazy posted:

Oh hey I got a package today.

:getin:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I'd rather consoles die as well to get rid of exclusivity on their platforms too, so gently caress Oculus and gently caress anyone defending their decisions. You are ruining VR.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

theBeaz posted:

I haven't tried The Climb yet but isn't some of the challenge related to applying just the right amount of pressure to the triggers? If so how does this work on Touch? The article may answer this but :effort:

Also for the love of God please release Touch already. "Vive shipping in 2-3 days" advertisements are just killing me. I only went with Rift because of backorder times and the Best Buy loophole. Oh woe is me and my first world problems.

Sell your Rift, buy a Vive. Knifegrab was right.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

ShadowMoo posted:

From what I am reading, most non-gamers are calling VR a fad similar to Google Glass or 3D glasses.

I mean, that is why I got VR glasses to begin with. I was very skeptical of the entire thing. Having used it though, it's not the same as those two, but it's also not quite "there" yet either. It's a bit too much like scuba-gear.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Warbird posted:

Called what? Notchyboy taking a swing at a VR game?

Are you not reading the article?

Zero VGS posted:

You're disappointed that Valve is (I'm assuming) letting developers keep a larger cut and only pay it off if they succeed? Or you're just disappointed that it's come to this?

Sounds like good news all around to me.

He's disappointed because Knifegrab was right.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Poetic Justice posted:

So Oculus asks for timed exclusivity and Steam asks for the money to be paid back via steam-based revenue? It's no wonder there are so many devs going with Oculus at this point.

Really twisting reality to suit your own vision aren't you?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

They are paying developers to be non-exclusive.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Pi Mu Rho posted:

Christ, the hardware requirements for local rendering on that are insane.

Seems about par with requirements for a rendering farm these days.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Deviant posted:

The time limits are like "You have an hour to crack this server." It's very low stress.

I'll go as far as to say time-limits are good and ought to be in more games, but not necessarily all of the time. See Fallout and Majora's Mask, examples of good time-limits.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Fiscal Q4 means early 2017.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Does it need four sensors for some reason when the Vive does fine with two?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I just wanted to say I've been using a Geforce GTX 790 this whole time and have suffered no serious framedrops or felt particularly ill despite the inferior card.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
People are all on about how important audio is, meanwhile here I just have the audio blast from my 5.1 speakers all of the time because I don't care to wear more poo poo on my head than necessary.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
It's even worse, it's off on the side because I set it up for when I sit and play games. Also the sound will "spin" as I turn around, which would be highly confusing if I used the audio cues.

But if I play a vr game that immersive, I would probably wear headphones. For a game like Hotdogs, Horseshoes and Handgrenades it doesn't matter much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I would definitely not just get an ssd drive, they have crap space for storing an OS as well as games.