Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So what the hell happened to the GTAV Vive thing? I need it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Nalin posted:

I've known the dude for a few years now. He is doing it by hooking into DirectX calls directly and running a renderer on another thread that interacts with OpenVR. It currently lacks stereoscopic 3D as you would have to render GTA5 at 180 fps to do it (swapping camera positions each time for each eye). I'm not sure how VorpX does it (is it doing some sort of bad positional warping to make it pseudo-3D?) He's made some good progress on it recently and solved some jitter issues; however, one of his Vive controllers died today so that might delay things some more. It's actually the 2nd time a Vive controller has died for him.

So it's basically just in VR, but not in 3D? I understand, you'd need one hell of a loving rig to render GTAV in stereo but drat, I wouldn't mind playing on the ugliest of settings. I'm excited to see his progress.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So today running my Vive has lead to my computer completely locking up, several times over. Now Windows updated and I can't get both of the Vive controllers to sync. One is green, the other is blue, when I try to pair it SteamVR says "One of the controllers has to be turned off, there can't be more than two controllers connected at a time." Uhh... not sure what to do here but this happened in the middle of demoing the Vive to a friend for the first time and we had to stop since we couldn't play anything with one controller. I've tried everything at this point.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

ThaGrandCow posted:

Hold steady, friend.

I'm sorry you believed that there would be a massive amount of 1080's on launch day, it was pretty obvious that it was a paper launch. Give it a couple weeks, you'll be in VR Valhala as shipments ramp up.

Yeah, and make sure you don't get the "Founder's Edition" which is $100 more for worse performance and bad thermals.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

When the hell is Valve going to fix my Headset firmware? Better yet, can I roll that stuff back?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The Walrus posted:

adr1ft is on sale and now works on the vive. worth it?

It doesn't they said it would in May but they've been silent about it, it still doesn't have Vive suppport.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

froody guy posted:

So someone asked me why (the gently caress) both Oculus and Vive charged so much for the shipping & handling and I answered "Coz they ship them from the US of A" as if that made any sense. Is it even true and is there any other reason for such extra costs?

Because it's a huge god drat box.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Knifegrab posted:

If you want a cheap rift, just buy the replacement cable!

Please tell me they're going to honor this. lol

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The Visit is a near horror "experience" and it's cheap, Brookhaven is fun for a single playthrough but it's too drat slow and the end is the best part but it just takes too long to get there.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

This implies a relationship prior to VR man.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Just get a Vive.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I must be the only person who doesn't care for Audioshield, the presentation is absolutely terrible and the gameplay got dull after a couple songs. Must of been the fastest refund I've requested on Steam.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

sliderule posted:

Yeah my eyes degrade a bit between check-ups, so it wouldn't be permanent for me. :(

It depends on how old you are and how your eyes degrade, my optometrist told me that in your late 20s early 30s your eyes have pretty much settled and if the prescription doesn't change, you're good to go for LASIK. Getting LASIK when your young is a stupid idea.

sigher fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jun 22, 2016

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Poetic Justice posted:

Out of curiosity what are some games you enjoy that don't have some sort of fail state?

The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is Monument Valley... But yeah, not many games exist where there isn't a time limit or health bar that will send you back if it depletes.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So it's par for the course?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

TheRagamuffin posted:

I dunno how it took this long to hit me, but......how long until a Jurassic Park Trespasser port, do you think?

I loving wish. :smith:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Supernorn posted:

Got sent a devkit, including a set of the experimental touch controllers. I've seen a bunch of the demos that use them, but unfortunately there's no demos available to developers through Oculus just yet.

The neatest thing so far is that Steam VR supports them completely, so you can use them as a surrogate for the VIVE controllers.

I'm optimistic about VR, I'm interested in seeing what Sony can do with VR on consoles, and if that can act as an entry point into VR for the masses. They are certainly pouring a bunch of resources and money into it, so I hope they know what they're doing anyhow.

This looks great but unless your hands are huge, why the gently caress is the handle so short? This would bother me so much.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Blue Star posted:

The point is that all VR seems to have to offer is a fancy way to watch movies. Thats one of the things people go on about : oooh watch a movie and it'll be like youre in a theater! Or go to a concert in VR! Or watch a ball game in VR! And it's like, I can do all that poo poo in real life.

Wait what? I mean, I get that it's stuff you could theoretically do in person, but think of the expanded applications of something like a concert in VR: added view points, views on the stage with the performers, being able to catch a concert wherever in the world someone is playing. Bands could sell VR passes for people to enjoy their shows online when the literally can't fly overseas or whatever the issue is. It's fantastic.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Poetic Justice posted:

All you guys that missed Alien Isolation on the DK2, it looks like there may be hope.

http://uploadvr.com/sega-europe-vr-company-attention/

Ugh don't gently caress with me.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Aphex- posted:

Genuinely curious - Why does everyone hate Notch? Pretty much all I know is that he sold Minecraft for billions and now just tweets about nothing because who cares, he's rich.

Because he's got a neckbeard, fedora and epitomizes "nerd." All I know is the dude kicks rear end and made that bank from Minecraft and good on him for that.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Cojawfee posted:

The vive controllers are great until the batteries die and you have to stop playing. With removable batteries, you can just swap out and keep playing. I don't know why swappable batteries would be a thing to get mad about.

The time that happens I'll be rocking my Gen 3 so no big deal.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Cojawfee posted:

Gen 3 comes out in a few hours?

Oh, you mean actually running the battery in a single go and having to charge them again? lol, why wouldn't you just always plug them in once you're done using them? I thought you meant once the battery stopped holding a charge.

I mean, I appreciate being able to swap the battery (easily anyway) but I think haven't built-in rechargeable are the better option.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So the Giant Bomb guys are playing some sort of street luge game and they have to lay down on the couch to play and the PSVR keeps breaking track, so what do they do? Gerstmann holds the camera in his hands closer to the headset. Giant Bomb, taking dumb to the next level.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Zsinjeh posted:

maybe he has Parkinson's? insensitive dude

Parkinson's VR

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

FormatAmerica posted:

Yeah. Wireless + inside-out tracking, I think.

Looked good & based off the CV1 + a unit attached to the back of the headstrap.

Nice, I hope HTC has an answer to this.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

They REALLY need to do inside-out tracking because honestly, gently caress the cameras and lighthouses. I only approve of the Lighthouses because I don't have to plug them into my camera and they're not restricted by a length of a USB cable. I wouldn't even be able to use a Rift room scale if I wanted due to my set-up and lack of free USB ports.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

El Grillo posted:

Tested looked at Lone Echo, one of the big games announced at OC3. Seems like it could be really loving cool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggZvKL3pArc

So excited to play this on my Vive.

Looks so god drat good.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So it seems that the Santa Cruz prototype isn't wireless video, it's actually just all being done on the headset so it's probably going to be limited to cellphone games at the moment.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Collateral Damage posted:

Smart on-screen keyboards like SwiftKey etc took the physical phone keyboard out behind the shed and put a 12 gauge through its skull for everyone but the most insufferable sperglords who probably still think Blackberry isn't a walking corpse.

That's why I, too, have a capacitive touch screen keyboard for my PC as well.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Hadlock posted:

I agree with your point, but I'm helpless to be pedantic and mention that Lenovo has recently released a laptop with capacitive touch keyboard

I know, I threw something across the room when I read about it, too

Please link this because holy poo poo, lol

Lemming posted:

The touch screen keyboard is sufficiently more convenient for the use case of a mobile phone, which is not the case for a desktop computer.

It's better in certain regards, yes and I prefer it, but it's still poo poo and I was much better at typing on my older phones with physical keyboards. More moving parts on a smart device blows though so either way sucks.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I recently got back into VR thanks to the cheaper WMR headsets without the need for cameras and lighthouses and it's awesome, but I'm trying to get Alien: Isolation working with MotherVR and I'm not having any luck. Has anyone gotten this working?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

How was the sky in the wrong place? How?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

As someone who had a Vive and a WMR headset, I want to get back into the VR swing of things. I sold off my Vive because there was nothing to play in the early days and my WMR just stopped working with my last laptop for some reason and according to the internet was a common problem with no solution. After having enjoyed the pleasures of inside-out tracking I don't want to go back to the god drat lighthouses and the $1K for the Index kit is bullshit anyway, what's the best option? Go for another WMR headset and hope it works just fine with my current laptop, or should I just get a Rift S?

If I got with the Rift S, do I have to do much fuckery to get it working with Steam and forgo whatever the Oculus walled garden is?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

If you go for a Rift S, you will need the Oculus software to actually run the headset, but you dont have to buy any software in the Oculus App, you can do everything through Steam if you'd like to (except oculus exclusives, obviously)

Would there be a better option than the Rift S? The S seems to have some shortcomings, 80hz, lovely sound, but the price is right. Would going the Odyssey+ or Reverb route be better?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Tom Guycot posted:

Not really unless you're mostly just interested in sim racing. The negatives of the S don't outweigh the crappy WMR controllers or their small tracking volume.

On the other hand if you were fine with those wands and their limitations, Reverb has the highest resolution (and system requirements).

The bigger point is you mentioned you have a laptop, the newer headsets, rift S, reverb, index are moving to DP, and won't work with a DP -> HDMI adapter. If your laptop doesn't have a mini DP connector, or a USB C lighting connection, and only has HDMI, you won't be able to use any of the newer headsets on it anyways.

I've got a USB C with Lightning, so I should be good on that. I wasn't a fan of the WMR controllers (or the Vive ones to be honest), I had the Odyssey with the redesigned ones but still wasn't really that happen with them, are the Rift controllers that much better?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

WMR apparently has not great hand tracking, but I dont own one so :iiam:

It wasn't that great and I had issues playing Gorn (the main reason I want to play VR again). Certain things weren't possible, like using the spear because one hand would have to be out of the tracking space to use it properly. Also any game that had a bow and arrow? Good luck.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Tom Guycot posted:

Ok, cool, then you'd just need a lighting -> DP adapter. As far as the controllers, yeah, they really are that much better. It doesn't seem like microsoft bothered to do any ergonomic testing when making them, as opposed to the touch controllers that really just fit right into your hand, with the added buttons, analog grip, and capacitive touch sensors to do your points and thumbs up and some basic hand movements. Having the 5 cameras also gives it a range of tracking coverage thats basically complete unless your hands are behind your back, or your covering one of the controllers with your arm or something.

If you are in the US, best buy should have displays of the quest and rift-s, and you can check out the controllers. I just would have a hard time recommending WMR anymore to people unless they're on a VERY limited budget and a WMR set for $170 on sale is available, or they're a dedicated simmer whos not really going to be playing a ton of general VR games (in which case the reverb's resolution is unmatched). Outside of that, now the rift s is even easier to setup than the WMR sets, has better tracking, better controllers, etc.

Awesome, I think I'm going to Bestbuy today to try it out and pick one up.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Wasn't there a VR build of Dolphin to VR the Metroid Prime games?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Tom Guycot posted:

Yeah but I can't imagine Quest could run dolphin. I mean.. maybe emulators are better optimized than I remember, or the quest is faster than I think, but it feels like a stretch.

I was talking more towards the PC version of Dolphin. If I pick up the Rift S I'd like to try that, if it's a thing.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So I picked up a Rift S and Type C to Display Port adapter since I'd need it, unfortunately that didn't work, but I forgot that my laptop has a miniDP port and Oculus packs an adapter for that in the box so that was clutch as gently caress.

Now, coming from someone that had a Vive, then Samsung Odyssey, I gotta say I really like this thing. The set-up was easier than WMR which was a breeze, and I'm glad there's no cameras or light houses to gently caress around with. It makes this thing relatively portable if I want to take my laptop to a friend's place. Really nice. The controllers are super cool and it's breaking my brain getting used to using them since I'm not used to gently touching the buttons/sticks being a function.

Visuals are a ton better than the Vive with less SDE than the Odyssey, but the black levels aren't great. Alien: Isolation looks somewhat washed since it's so dark. Shame, but not a deal breaker.

The biggest step down that I can notice from the other two is the the passthrough cameras are complete rear end, everything looks like poo poo and there's weird deforming going on in certain parts but I'm not really using them so whatever.

Does the headset/software always just run in the back and I put the headset on to jump into VR? That's what it seems like and that's really god drat cool. Alien Isolation was pretty easy to figure out, but if I just launch stuff from Steam in the Oculus Virtual Desktop thing, will it launch properly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Wamdoodle posted:

Pages back but

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/news/video-1356623/Moment-pair-hit-car-whilst-playing-virtual-reality-game.html

So Rift S owners, how is the tracking of the controllers in low light situations. That was one of the little problems I had with WMR.

I rebought Gorn and put an hour into it or so and in low light, it's just about as good as WMR sadly in regards to the controllers, but your position tracking is pretty good. There's a greater degree of tracking thanks to the top and side cameras for your hands, but when I moved them fast there were some issues. I dunno if this is just a tracking thing or if the low light made it worse, because I didn't have any problems with the headset tracking the physical space at all.

Does anyone else feel like the field of view is less on the Rift S? On the Vive and WMR the blackness on the sides seems way more noticeable to me.