Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Had there been any indication of a "gen 2" for Oculus or Vive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Taintrunner posted:

I made my wife experience VR for the first time with VR Kanojo and I made her touch the girls. You can see their panties

Screw wives, this is the waifu age :getin:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah this is something I noticed way back in the HL2 mod, I felt slightly less accurate but boy was I waaaaay more accurate in reality. Getting headshots one after another, never missing. Crazy accuracy when you can actually point and shoot like in real life compared to moving an artificial crosshair around.

In real life, aiming is pretty difficult, especially on the move or in rapid succession...

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Zaphod42 posted:

What? What are these words even supposed to mean?

As opposed to in a videogame when you're on the move or in rapid succession but having to do it with a mouse or game controller?

Why are you comparing shooting in VR in a videogame to standing at a range and firing slow shots? what are you :psyduck: What was the point of this post?

"In real life, aiming is pretty difficult" eh not really it isn't. I go skeet shooting or to the rifle range once in awhile, and it ain't rocket science. So even that's wrong. I mean yeah it takes practice and accuracy but what the gently caress are you trying to say?
The point was, compared to a mouse.

E: Have you ever shot a gun?

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Aiming isn't as hard as people make it out to be. Hitting something at the ranges in most games is ridiculously easy. Zaphod's crazy but I do agree with him.

:wtc: Aiming at poo poo in real life and hitting them is pretty hard. That's all I'm saying. The original post sounded kinda like he was implying it's easier to hit stuff IRL than in games. Might not be what he was implying, in which case sorry?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

veni veni veni posted:

As a couch gamer and lifelong console player I find controllers infinitely better than a mouse and keyboard for playing games, even FPS, but I also recognize how much more accurate a mouse is and understand why people prefer it. They just need to stay the hell of of consoles and stop pretending like they aren'y blatantly cheating when they buy a $150 dollar dongle to bypass it and ruin the balance in console games.

What are your thoughts on turbo buttons?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
After playing "Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes" with my friend via Skype, I decided to get it on Daydream with my Google survey bucks. Have yet to play it, but the menu seems solid. Is it the same as other VR versions? I can't imagine much in the way of differences.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
As someone who didn't grow up playing Doom I kinda find spinning sprites charming.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
...I might have to pick one up instead of the Vive...

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I don't like Oculus' practices and feel like they might abuse market position if given the chance. Their track record leans in that direction and Facebook has a history of questionable ethics.

I will probably buy a Rift though

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gendal posted:

Not going to repost the whole thing here but tldr; if your launch day rift breaks you have to buy a new retail box (which I certainly won't be doing, even with the new price drop)

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/6mgcx5/launch_day_rift_broke_you_have_to_buy_a_new_one/

"Out of warranty.

It disgusts me that people will let their warrantied broken stuff sit for months without taking any steps.

The company is not to blame for you lazy entitled consumers who buy expensive products that they only care about enough to excuse bitching about Daddy Corporate when they just don't give a drat about their expensive poo poo."

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Zaphod42 posted:

Did Ender's have a grappling hook? I don't remember that.

If they want it to be really Enders you need to be able to shoot your own legs and use them as a shield.

They tied Bean to a rope and sent him around a star at high speed.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Should I order from the Oculus website? Or Amazon?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

JazzFlight posted:

I went with Best Buy since they include an Eve Valkyrie download with the bundle.

Wait, seriously? That sounds like the best option if it's on sale there too

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
...Is it bad? I just remember hearing a lot about it and seeing some gameplay footage that looked great.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Pay to win spaceship game with really samey spaceships and no depth at all in gameplay. It blew peoples minds because it looks ok and was a space game. War Thunder looks better and is free. IL2 looks much better and has depth and singleplayer.

Man, I was extremely uninterested by War Thunder's flight, and no one plays the semi-realistic tank mode in that game.

That's disappointing news over EVE Valkyrie, then. I guess I should order off of the Oculus store, then? They won't charge tax, and I think that's the cheapest I'm going to get...

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Did you play in the sim modes? Also lots of people play tanks.

Everyone plays the arcade tanks with automatic ranging and whatnot. There's a middle ground mode between that and sim that I really enjoyed but wasn't populated at all.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Poetic Justice posted:

So $399 for Rift + Touch is pretty impressive. Are you an Amazon Prime member? Yes? Well, how about a $100 Amazon gift card on top of that

https://www.amazon.com/Oculus-Rift-...ift%2BCard&th=1

Ends in 24 hours!

:stonk:

Ordered.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cojawfee posted:

Camera tracking is getting pretty crazy. Able to track through several rooms and only be a few inches off when it gets back to the start point.

This sounds interesting

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

haveblue posted:

Look up what people are doing with Apple's ARKit beta, it's pretty amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIPfpGCxONQ

Holy poo poo. That's without any markers or external sensors?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Zero VGS posted:

It is very impressive but not perfect, watch the spots on the ground near the left bottom corner of the portal, when he comes back out and turns around they are gone because the portal has crept forwards.

Still damned impressive. Makes me wonder what Google has done with Tango.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Walrus posted:

thanks who whoever it was that reminded me about extended warranties on visa purchases, you just saved me a ton of hassle on replacing my vive controller and or selling my vive/buying an oculus

How do those things even work, anyway?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
How are the Vive wands tracked?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What should I be aware of if I go with three sensors on my new Oculus? I've got a 2600k here on a P67 chipset.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Zaphod42 posted:

Even if you had a 4k headset, do you have the video card and computer to drive it? Even if you had full-skeleton tracking do you have any games that would use that input?

Not really much point being ahead of the curve right now.

A 2nd Gen 4k headset would probably have Foveated Rendering, wouldn't it?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've been hearing bad things about that 25 dollar USB card, especially because it has only one controller. Any personal experiences?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

These are my USB controllers on my P67 board. Looks like I have four USB 3.0 ports across 2 controllers (rear panel, front panel). Think this should be sufficient for up to 3/4 sensors and a Rift?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Facebook and Xiaomi? Somehow this thing is going to manage to send analytics on your dog's browsing habits to China, I just know it.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
They mentioned manufacturing, I wouldn't be surprised if they were involved in the global production of the device.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Amazon won't ship mine for a bit longer, and even longer for the controllers. I am mad jealous

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

AndrewP posted:

If Oculus ever released a PSVR head strap device, insta-purchase.

In other news, pubbies in Onward seem to be going from "cool helpful VR enthusiasts" to "normal pubbie trash". Fun while it lasted.

I've always found online gaming communities interesting. Did it just get a big influx?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

This is the point of the Rift compared to the Vive. PSVR is also good for pure seated and is due to get some killer exclusives.

Ace combat :negative:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Warbird posted:

Which is coming to Steam, so a PCVR port wouldn't be out of the question.

Yeah, but I thought the devs said there were no plans to Port that to SteamVR

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Didn't we just have a few former employees or something say not to expect any new headsets until 2019?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
drat, the Oculus Sensor ships in 1-2 months on Amazon.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I already applied my Amazon gift card to my balance :negative:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe I should order another set of touch controllers. It would ship faster than another sensor from Amazon, and I'd have an extra set in case I break them...

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Amazon claims my Rift will arrive in the next couple days. What sorts of games/demonstrations should I get to help introduce me to T1 VR? Free experiences would be nicest, but things worth cash I don't mind.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Someone make an MLOK attachment for the Oculus Touch please

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

rage-saq posted:

Low memory warnings usually means you have customized your page file settings which means you are a bad. Set them back to system managed, Windows knows best.

My 16GB system reports being out of memory with windows-managed page files any time I play a game with Chrome open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

rage-saq posted:

You shouldn't be getting that message unless your page file is too small, thats what that message means. Windows essentially has as much memory as there is in your system PLUS the maximum size of your page file. Is the disk your page file on low on space?

No. But I often have committed memory close to 30GB