Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Warbird posted:

I'm not entirely sure I'm happy I got a Vive. The thing has an extremely annoying habit of losing tracking mid session with no clear cause and then it'll either decide to resume working a few minutes later or I'll have to restart my PC. I've even had the basestations decide to stop working a few times. It kills me that I put this much down on the hardware, but I've found myself playing Overwatch instead of going through the trouble of fighting it into submission. I've not even played anything besides The Lab and a couple of 2 minute sessions of Tiltbrush. I'm really hoping I can get some passion for it with developing for the platform, but man am I not enthused with VR so far. I know it's early adopter beware/beta hardware and I really really hope it's just like Steam's early days where it'll become amazing in time.

In me experience, losing tracking is a result of reflections. The vive is... very sensitive to reflections. I'd try covering up anything nearby that's reflective (close window curtains/blinds, cover mirrors, etc.) and see if that helps. You're not like... doing it next to a big window or anything, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Wow, turnaround time on the Vive is really good. Mine should arrive by Thursday based on the shipping e-mail I just got.

So they're doing like two-week turnaround from purchase to arrival assuming it actually shows up at that time. Not too shabby at all.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Vive delivery date moved up in the fedex tracker, should arrive Tuesday!

Wow, and thats with a holiday weekend

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

yeah the biggest advantage vive has over the rift right now is that the vive is available for sale.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Sprocket posted:

So after being 100% sure I wanted an Oculus over a Vive I finally got sick of waiting for my Rift to appear and ordered a Vive on the 22nd of May. Had my shipping notice earlier today whilst my day 1, 1hr 9minute rift is still nowhere in sight. Goodbye Oculus preorder! The fact they have been supplying US retail stores with stock for the last few weeks whilst people who preordered within the first hour are still left with their dicks in their hands just really left a horrible taste in my mouth. I was toying with the idea of getting both since the Rift does sound like the better headset if you ignore touch but I really dont think they deserve my money anymore especially with all this DRM nonsense lately.

I so wanted to love the rift, even have a drat vr cover on the way for it. Wonder how many people have similar stories to mine? They must have lost so many sales over this launch fiasco.

Sounds pretty much identical to what happened with me. My vive arrives tomorrow!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I've realized I have no internet access in the room I set aside to be my Vive room tomorrow. Won't be able to get it wired up until Friday at the earliest...

So, you don't need internet to do any vive stuff once everything is installed and registered right? I can totally just move the computer back and forth from room to room and do Vive stuff without any internet at the time of playing/configging, right?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

Don't install facebook on your phone, because it eats through your battery for no reason.

Well, now we "know" the reason, right?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Thor-Stryker posted:

Apparently OkCupid did some similar stuff to its users in the past as far as manipulating what a user sees.

I always thought the OkCupid stuff was fine (back when it was really okCupid and not just Match.com with a different name). They adjusted weights and collected data to try and better serve their customers, and they shared the results of their research publicly so people could use it to better their own odds of success, and used their results internally to help people find better matches. Nothing they did was ever really any more harmful to their customers than bad algorithms would have been. None of it was on the level of user-contempt that Facebook seems to exhibit.

Basically what I'm saying is that information that is collected to benefit my experience is a good deal different than information that is collected to better exploit me, and it definitely seems like Oculus is now the sort of company that would be more likely to go down the second road than the first.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Huh, didn't realize the Vive didn't actually come with a displayport cable. It supports display port, but you have to have your own cable since it doesn't provide one, which I should have realized but totally did not.

So it looks like it will be a couple more days before I get to use it - drat! It's sitting right here and useless to me.

Also why the hell doesn't it come with stands for the Lighthouses, that is pretty dumb, I mean I knew it wouldn't so I made my own but it would have been a lot more convenient.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Facebook literally just disabled their mobile website functionality and it pops up a message saying you have to install the app to use it now, hahah.

So that's pretty timely.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Talorat posted:

Hmm, still works for me, hopefully it's not a gradual release.

Okay, apparently it's just the messaging bit they removed, you can still view posts. I do not use facebook myself so the news was secondhand. If thats still working for you then yeah, it must be a gradual rollout.

I'm actually surprised that they don't have a Facebook Social VR thing up yet. They are planning one, somehow, right?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

The Walrus posted:

can we just go back to one VR thread, it makes no sense for there to be two just so there's one for knifegrab to act like a child in. there's been lots of civil anti-oculus discussion in this thread so the other thread literally just exists for him at this point.

This is the best the VR discussion on this board has ever been, don't you even start.

what is this "new wizard game"?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

theBeaz posted:

Everyone is doing such a good job ignoring them but since they keep trying to press their agenda here I just had to respond:

You didn't, at all, and now look at what you've done. I hope you feel sorry.

Anyway, Vive is here, adapters are here, Vive is hooked up and working, everything is amazing.

I am doing more demos at lunch and I can't wait.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jun 3, 2016

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

theBeaz posted:

I am so very sorry. I'm also very jealous though. Now that Vives are apparently shipping immediately I want to order one but I think the wife would kill me buying another HMD since my Rift is already chilling out waiting for something more worthwhile or Touch. That's okay though... until Witcher 3 or TW: Warhammer have native VR support (gently caress Vorpx) I'm too busy to play with it anyway. Oh and Overwatch and Smite on my PS4. Life is tough, ya know?

Rifts are still selling for around 850 dollars... around the price of a Vive...

It's basically a free upgrade.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

r0ck0 posted:

Uh new rifts are selling for $850 minus ebay/paypal fees and shipping. Used you might break even. I just canceled my third rift order cause it isn't worth it to flip.

Ah yeah I forgot it probably wouldn't be new.

They really have dropped a lot in price since Oculus started being dicks and/or Vives started shipping out so quickly.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Can you three please not actively try to make this place a worse place to post?

---

Waltz of the Wizard is super great and I would have been happy to throw down some cash for this even if it is pretty short.

I think I may have spent too long playing it though... nothing seems quite right in the real world anymore. Everything is a bit too far away and a bit... unreal seeming.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

So what's the current go-to for VR Horror?

Right now the scariest game I've played has been Waltz of the Wizard (that part was pretty great by the way, in fact the whole thing is pretty great)

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Aphex- posted:

Brookhaven Experiment has easily been the freakiest game I've experienced so far, although it definitely loses a bit of the edge after a couple of replays.

Brookhaven is great, just beat it. The ending of the demo... wow, especially considering what I was thinking at the end of wave 2 when you get that "glimpse" in the distance.

I can't wait for the full game - that and Budget Cuts both look like they're going to be super fun.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

froody guy posted:

How does it work if you receive a defective Rift? I've searched in the oculus site and googled "oculs rift return policy" but I found only people bitching about the fact that oculus doesn't have a return policy page. Dafuq?

You suck it up, obviously. All sales are final

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Well, uh

I mean I would hope the majority of people buying a product had the recommended minimums.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Knifegrab posted:

I really hope Steam locks Oculus out of its store.

It is not in Valve's best interest, or anyone's really except for Oculus, to force people to buy games from the Oculus Store, so that would be pretty dumb.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Poetic Justice posted:

People should complain to HTC for working exclusively with Valve. Oculus has said they are more than willing to work with headset manufacturers to implement their SDK. Unless part of the deal with Valve was they would be the sole provider of the software, which again isn't really in Oculus's hands.

Oculus, to be fair, has a long history of bald-faced lying in regards to their intents relating to things like "exclusives", and considering they have actively sabotaged attempts to allow their software to work on other headsets I doubt they have any interest in working with anyone on anything.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I know this is a really minor thing, and probably weird but... I really love the power on sound for the Vive controllers.

I don't know why, I just find it to be a very nice sound.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I keep finding new awesome thins in that Waltz of the Wizard game, just traveled to the world where you are being observed

It's so good guys you should all get along it, it's so much better than almost everything I can't understand how it's free

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jun 7, 2016

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Agreeing with everyone else, just initiate a chargeback and get a new one. "Item Not Received" is one of the explicit reasons chargebacks exist. They took your money and didn't give you a product, you've got them on record admitting it (right?), so you should be completely in the clear.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Isn't that "every board game ever" thing vr thing coming out soon? That one is going to be my endless content

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

This one

http://steamcommunity.com/games/TabletopSimulator/announcements/detail/876326228257182968

They are working on VR be, the game itself is already out though!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I love that Fantastic Contraption has a Job Simulator Exit Burrito in it you can eat to quit the game.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Mordaedil posted:

A chaperone prevents you from walking into furniture or hitting walls or tables accidentally.

Keyword being now. They have said they will have a chaperone for the Touch release. Maybe it will even be better and have a proper ceiling boundary! Or maybe it will be garbage, or they lied again and won't ship it at all.

I have yet to use the pass through camera on my Vive, I should probably figure it out but that one seems like a big non issue to me. I am mostly white glad the Steam software is good enough I haven't had to care. Man the first time you load it up and notice you you can just straight up SEE the wands is great.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

No it doesn't. All it does is make you realize your mistake a split second before you barrel through a plate glass window.

He didn't say it prevents dives, he said it prevents walking into things unintentionally. And it really does. Chaperone is great and something like it is absolutely necessary for roomscale play, since you'll otherwise have no idea where the boundaries are.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

I've hit my walls enough times to know that chaperone is completely useless aside from slow walking. It's not enough to prevent someone from punching a wall. Maybe if valve added in some logic to predict if a controller's current path will lead it outside of the chaperone. Either that or tell people to set their chaperone so they can't reach anything while their arm is extended and their head is at the chaperone.

Maybe you should set your bounds a bit smaller then, because I haven't had this experience at all. How long are your arms? Because my chaperon bounds reliable come up as soon as I get within arms reach of the boundaries. And I'm not exactly delicate with flailing my arms around as my dented controller and ceiling can attest.

Maybe it should have configurable arm lengths though, that I'll give you.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

monkey posted:

You realise chaperone comes up when your head OR hands are near the boundary, right?

The first one doesn't really matter most of the time though, in my experience. If the bounds aren't already up, they aren't going to come up in time for me to process and prevent my hands from going out of bounds!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

On the one hand, there's inherent value in sharing the magic of VR!

On the other hand, one of them is eventually going to break your poo poo.

Balance these two forces, and you will arrive at the right charge for you, personally.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

sliderule posted:

They are light enough that you could use those 3M Command strips to hold them up, but they might not be able to resist the internal vibration well enough to prevent tracking jitter.

Alternately, camera/equipment tripods, but they will suffer from floor vibration.

There's no way in my experience to reliably attach them to command strips. The default stands don't have a flat base so you can't attach them directly.

I eventually just screwed mine into a couple 2x4s cut to length and put them on the shelf, at least that way I can bring them around with me and it's the closest to hassle free setup without having to deal with their bullshit adjuster knobs that start giving way the moment you take a step back.

I really frickin' hate the lighthouses, everything about them is horrible, and if I wasn't busy being pissed at Oculus I'd be looking forward to switching to the rift & touch controls.

I imagine actual tripods would make them a lot less frustrating to use, since you can just toss the "screw only" terrible stands they come with.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jun 10, 2016

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

Have there been any statements (or hell even semi-reliable guesses) about the cost of the Rift's motion controllers?

No, and even if they're had been it wouldn't be worth believing. We won't know how much they cost until they are available for sale is my bet

Deviant posted:

Any idea why all my SteamVR games would just...not launch when I hit "Play in VR"? I've completley uninstalled and reinstalled my Rift and SteamVR. Gonna try one of the offending games next.

I've been getting this for a few games for the Vive recently and I don't understand what's going on at all.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I keep playing the Brookhaven demo and wishing for me. It's really cool how the game ramps up (or seems to, anyway) based on how well you've done though - I know people who've claimed to finish it without seeing any giants, and I had two giants bearing down on me at the same time with a third close behind. I swear picking the grenade makes them more likely to spawn too (which is great, because they are the only thing worth using a grenade on!). Being able to consistently make headshots at range in the dark with one shot is a great feeling.

Now I just wish I could get this into space pirate trainer... will have to keep trying until it clicks, I guess.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Moving around in game with a pad is perfectly fine for most people when the game has been built for it, I'd be willing to bet that's what they go with. Most of the sick-inducing games are from lovely implementations on games support was hacked into, and on top of that by the time it comes out people will hopefully have started building up some VR tolerance.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

I got used to it after that and was fine, but some people will probably never be able to get used to such a movement scheme. I'm just hoping that they get such a thing right. If they don't, certain people will scream that such a movement scheme doesn't work and it will ruin it for everyone. Then we'll be suck with stupid things like grabbing with both controllers and pulling yourself around.

I know a number of people for whom the whole controller thing will never work - they just straight up can't play first person games since it makes them sick (they stick to 2d games, although oddly enough they both love the vive because it doesn't make them sick at all with the current dominant control schemes!). I guess the main thing is asking whether or not there will be enough people who can to drive things forward, rather than expect everybody to be able to.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Why'd you use VATS when you can just point and shoot. VATS is taking the fun out of shooting.

I would imagine VR Vats would just be the "time slowdown and freeze" events, perhaps with some added auto-aim component.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

ShadowMoo posted:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/429830

This game makes me want a VR more. Looks really fun.

I just bought it. Glad it's not 4x4 - I can clear 8x3.5 max. Although I'm a bit worried my cable won't reach this far... we'll see.