Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
By the way, you can make a lot of games 3D with Tridef 3D: https://www.tridef.com/cart/product.php?productid=3

It has a 2 week trial, and it works great with virtual desktop. Run game, hit F7, play game on a big honking 3D screen. Tried a couple games and it works great with most, though UI is often all wrong due to not being at the correct depth, so it's not very good for UI heavy games like MMOs.

Doing jumpy puzzles in stereo 3d in gw2 is fun. Also, warframe in 3d is as insane as it sounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

DrBox posted:

Spent a while setting up controls again in War Thunder. Jumped into the tutorial to fly around a bit and see how it feels. Must have been a calibration issue with my HOTAS. As soon as it turned over control to me I was fighting with the controls to keep it level. After 10 seconds of spinning uncontrollably, I had to rip off the headset. On the plus side, I'm only about halfway through my giant bag of ginger chews.

All I want is a super chill flight sim with easy controls to fly around in.

Make sure you *disable* mouse axis, otherwise if you don't leave it centered on your screen your plane will obviously trim itself wherever.

Cojawfee posted:

Did you go through and set your own controls for War Thunder? Make sure there isn't some other device giving input to war thunder that's messing you up.

If anything, War Thunder is worth loading up in VR just to fly around a bit. I'm not good enough at sim battles to play super serious and you just can't be very good at the game from the cockpit in the arcade battles. I loaded up War Thunder in VR and flew around a bunch and thought it was really cool. Then I took off my headset and started flying 3rd person with mouse and keyboard in order to be able to compete with everyone else.

I play arcade in "virtual cockpit" (the thing that is just hud) and it owns a lot anyway. Not as good as simulator battles, of course, but not all my friends can stomach that.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Bhodi posted:

i played it years ago and then they patched some super grind in and I stopped.

That's exactly what happened in me and my friends' cases. We went and checked it out fairly recently, and while it's still easy to get battles, a lot of the time you get super veterans in who destroy you for breakfast, making it rather unfun.

I think the game just doesn't have a big enough player base or something. In warthunder, in the lower ranks, I rarely see the same players.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Knifegrab posted:

It would be incredibly dumb. And bad for everyone. But it would be admittedly satisfying and the drama it would cause would be really interesting to watch from afar.

The best drama we'll get is by valve keep on doing the same thing they're already doing and oculus home selling fuckall games because all rift users just use steam for anything not exclusive, and facebook/palmer tripling down on their lovely policies.

Plus, why would you support steam locking out rifts when doing that would put them on facebook's level.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

GlyphGryph posted:

I keep finding new awesome thins in that Waltz of the Wizard game, just traveled to the world where you are being observed

It's so good guys you should all get along it, it's so much better than almost everything I can't understand how it's free

I really like the thing too. Had a bunch of friends over, they all like it a lot too.

As for how it's free, it's likely a tech demo for something bigger, kinda like the budget cuts demo. I know in VR you're supposed to pay for tech demos these days, but some cool dudes just put them out there, like The Lab or that Skeet game. :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

sliderule posted:

Tried Descent Underground with the Vive headset, and it hurt my brain after 10 seconds.

I really don't see anything with a fast-moving camera independent of the headset really working in VR.

It's a case of getting used to it. First day I got VR playing warthunder arcade in the transparent cockpit was uncomfortable, 2 days later I was flying 2m off ground killing poo poo like a champ.

vvvv: Definitely counts, it's how I play warframe now and it owns.

Truga fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jun 7, 2016

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Paul MaudDib posted:

Reminder that FO4's engine is deeply (perhaps inseparably) tied to a 60hz framerate.

When you have access to the game source, you can (relatively) easily disconnect the frame rate from tick rate.

That's not to say bethesda won't botch it, but it worked out just fine for quake 3 and even all those fan made quake 2 source ports that support cl_packets, as opposed to tying it to FPS directly.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Reminder that a razer hydra, a shittier thing than touch in pretty much every way, costs $499.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Cojawfee posted:

And a lovely 3D mouse glove that came out in the early 2000s cost $200 when it came out. You can't really compare prices of these things.

I can tell you that these things will be "in the same ballpark" as the headset thou :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
One thing I'm sure of is, Croteam knows they'll be able to sell a lot of copies anyway, and after this stunt every vive fanboy will buy their game whether they actually like it or not. :v:

Personally, I already own all the serious sam games, because they own, and I'll buy this one too, so I'm glad they support everyone's monitors :shobon:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
You'd say the same when suddenly half games only worked on a samsung monitor right? Or a radeon GPU? Or, worse, a razer keyboard?

A peripheral is a peripheral, just because Facebook doesn't want it to be doesn't change that.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Zero VGS posted:

This analogy doesn't really work in a world where I have to buy specific monitors from specific manufacturers to use adaptive sync with my choice of graphics card.

So because nvidia does something lovely to you, so can oculus? Nice whataboutism.

But no, the analogy works great. You won't get g-sync with your lovely monitor if you buy the wrong card, but the monitor will still work. Just like you won't get ATW through the revive wrapper, but vive will still work just fine. Oculus is just being a poo poo here, no other way around it.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Why do non-gamers care though? They're hardly even the target audience.

That said, obviously, a lot of hardcore people are on board already, and anyone who keeps saying that vr is a fad after they actually tried it is in my experience either a jaded old person, or just a shitlord in general. Until they try it, a lot of people go "this is just another wii", but as anyone who played both wii and vive will tell you, it really isn't.

I've demoed my vive to non-gamer and casual gamer people who never heard of VR and in 50% cases the result is that they want this poo poo *now*, but not at current price (especially after I mention that this is just the first consumer product and in 2 years it'll be both cheaper and much better). Or, they're just very impressed, but generally don't play games at all, so they're not too interested. (though some change their mind very quickly when they try tilt brush :v:)

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Zero VGS posted:

I'm not trying to justify it, I'm just saying you can't act like there's no precedent.

If someone invests in a nice G-Sync monitor they've de-facto locked themselves into buying Nvidia cards for the life of the monitor, and the same goes for a FreeSync monitor and AMD.

"The monitor will still work", yeah no one is going to give up adaptive sync once they've spent some time with it. I can tell you this because I use it and it's the best thing to happen to monitors in decades.

No, the best thing to happen to monitors is VR. 2nd best that happened is HDR. Adaptive sync is a distant 3rd. Yes, it's a neat thing, but thankfully g-sync is pretty much dead on arrival, since similar freesync screens go for up to $300 less, so nvidia will have to support it sooner or later. Not to mention it's a part of DP1.4 or somesuch. G-sync won't last. Hopefully, neither will Oculus Store.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Eve online used to do really cool blue/red shift effects in the first iteration of their engine. I wish more people did it like that. Including eve online, ever since the first graphics overhaul it doesn't look right anymore (it's just a blue/red overlay, including over all the black space, instead of just shifting the colours)

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
If you like building poo poo and own minecraft, it's really really good in VR.

Also, War Thunder is free, and I find myself starting it up, clicking test flight and just flying around a random island in the free pre-ww2 slow flyers way more often than I want to admit. It's just so nice, and it doesn't stutter one bit, unlike elite or DCS.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

ShadowMoo posted:

With Denuvo out there, DRM is likely to become a big thing. Denuvo has been out for a few years and has yet to be cracked. At most you get some hacky workaround.

3DM said that DRM cracking is likely going to be dead by 2018 due to the advent of virtual machine protection. Unless someone can find a new way to crack it.

I dunno what 3DM is, but it's steam making cracking games obsolete, not better DRM. There's just no motivation anymore. Steam is absolutely exploding in historical "pirate" countries. For example, Russia: http://steamspy.com/country/RU

Why bother cracking something if your main audience is gone?

I'm sure if there was still motivation to crack games, they'd still get cracked in days, maaaybe weeks. There's what, a dozen people working on Denuvo DRM? There's a million nerds out there who will try to crack your game if there's enough demand. Just due to the fact that every software has bugs, "working DRM" can't exist. Yeah, Denuvo is good, sure, but it's not infallible any more than any other DRM. If I buy something and can get it to run on my machine, I can dump a working unencrypted copy somewhere. We might have even come to the point where I'll need actual external hardware to do MITM between the CPU and RAM or some poo poo, sure, but there will always be a way.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

TomR posted:

You can get PS move controllers working with Steam VR apparently.

Wasn't there also rumours that PSVR would work with PC? If that does happen, it would actually be an epic deal, if you already own a ps4 and a pc.

vvv: Obviously it's not the same thing, but the fan made dual shock 4 driver has way better functionality than the windows xbox controller driver, so I have a bit of hope for that. :v:

Truga fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jun 15, 2016

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Zero VGS posted:

To play Devil's Advocate, all DRM stores are loving dumb. When Steam started off, I think you had to be online and logged in to launch games, under your own account, and couldn't share games.
I only signed up to steam very late, when it was already very good. It took several years of laughing at idiots who didn't just pirate valve games and instead couldn't play them because steam was feeling playful all the time. Then, one day, it was good and I signed up and downloaded games, and it just worked.

Hell, I'll probably do the same for Oculus Store if it turns out good in 5 years and loses the dumb hardware exclusivity. It's because Oculus is doing dumb things now that people are yelling. I want to use their store. I want more competition. But if it treats me like a dumb, I'll call them out until they fix it or die. :v:

None of this will matter though when VVRitcher 5 releases on GOG's FreeVR :v:

Zero VGS posted:

HDR could still be a dumb gimmick for all we know, woo bright things are brighter, big whoop. Maybe it turns out to be great, but so far I'd say it's been FreeSync > Ultrawides > VR for the actual quality of life improvements I've had so far with regards to consuming games and movies.
HDR should at least do away with dumb gradient banding if nothing else. Yes, it's barely to not existent on a good monitor in most situations, but it's still there and it annoys me to hell and back. I play a lot of space games, and it can sometimes get super apparent on an "almost black but not quite" backgrounds.

Meanwhile, I don't care about *sync because tearing isn't a thing on my monitor/gpu combo for some reason, as is on a lot of others. Plus, nvidia now has that thing that doesn't add latency if you enable vsync. That said, if you do get tearing, it's absolutely poo poo (my dad's monitor tears like a loving champ, it's absolutely jarring to see) and I can see how you'd care about that a lot more then.

And so I don't only contribute non-vr poo poo to this thread for once:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4o3ipv/my_first_experience_with_vive_as_a_visually/

Posted this in the vive thread earlier, forgot to post it here. This kind of poo poo is awesome, and I hope it's researched and become a tech/therapy to help people get better vision. I never had vision issues in my 30 years and I can only imagine how much it sucks to not be able to see that well.
Also, I need to paint my walls green so I can stream myself like

Cojawfee posted:

A new game came out called The Nest which apparently is just a straight release of a group's VR game jam entry from a few weeks ago. It's 9 dollars and apparently doesn't have much content though they intend to release at least a new map every month. I haven't had a chance to check it out because I'm currently moving and all my VR stuff is in boxes.

It's a good game, but not worth 9 bux yet IMO, because there's a grand total of 2 maps that's actually 1 map with day and night variations. Is extremely my poo poo though, so I'll buy if they add more maps.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

The Walrus posted:

I was about to write up a spergpost re this but I'll just say this is super incorrect on many levels just fyi

Well, if you can please do. I'm genuinely interested in DRM that can't be broken even with full access to hardware.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Haha, poo poo, that does sound annoying. Also cool.

Yeah, I can see how someone would not want to deal with cracking that. It'd take a long time. And for every different game, unlike with your classic DRM :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
^^^^ Imagine getting paid big bux for making a part of a game perform like poo poo by running it through a self-decrypting-encrypting VM :v:

Ciaphas posted:

Is there a way to temporarily turn off the chaperone walls? I want to be able to play Elite and HotDS at my desk, natch, but that's technically out of the chaperone bounds

Chaperone is a bit buggy for seated games for me. Usually, when playing warthunder it turns itself off automagically, but sometimes it doesn't and then I get blue lines across my menus/cockpit (my desk is at the edge of my play area) until I restart it :shrug:

Haven't played elite yet since getting my room scale properly set up, so no idea if that's what's going on, though.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Ciaphas posted:

Moving on from poor taste puns: it's probably the lack of sleep that's making me dumb, but what's the practical purpose of Virtual Desktop? I mean ok sure nice backgrounds, fine, but is there some use case I can't think of that's better than "take off the headset"?

VR desktop is your peek into the future of monitors. Yes, right now it sucks, because for it to be comfortable you need to make text huge, which defeats the point of having a huge screen.

But when resolution gets better, why settle for 2 or 3 or 7 monitors on your desk, when you can sit in a sphere of monitor, on a swivel chair.

e:

Tom Guycot posted:

Virtual desktop is neat, but I used to use it a lot more in the dk2 days before I could just launch everything from home, including viewing 360 photos and watching movies. I still use it for some things, but it would get a lot more use out of me if they had a way of using it view flat screen games in like a virtual 3d monitor view, like you can with 3d movies.

There's hacks around that allow you to run games in side by side stereo, i.e. https://www.tridef.com/download/TriDef-3D-latest.html

Then you set virtual desktop to SBS mode and play games in 3D. I play warframe like that now. :v: It's a bit glitchy in menus, but otherwise works great.

Truga fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Jun 16, 2016

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

El Grillo posted:

Spent a while playing Elite again last night on Rift. It's loving awesome. That is all.

What would be really cool would be an app which just has chilled spaces to hang out in. A beach with a sunset, stuff like that. Somewhere you can sit on the ground and just chill out enjoying the view. Anyone know of anything like this, on Steam etc?

I like fishing in VR minecraft :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Ciaphas posted:

Has anyone played War Thunder? Any thoughts on control scheme? I last played it a long time ago and back then the best controls were KB+M unless you were in supersperg sim mode, but that was with the third person view, so not really applicable in VR.

I played quite a bit of WT in 3dvr, including arcade in first person mode with mouse and it worked okay. That said, poo poo's not nearly as good as proper first person flying obviously. There's really not much sense of immersion in 3rd person.

I do still play arcade battles, but I do it in first person now, in the virtual cockpit (the thing that's just a HUD) and a joystick and I do okay as long as I don't gently caress up and get dragged into a turnfight.

Nothing beats simulator battles thou

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Kazy posted:

Good thing someone here has a Touch and is going to do some testing once they get their USB3 extender in :v:

Thank you!

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Maybe if this becomes a permanent thing. They could have easily just forgotten to enable DRM in the latest patch, this kind of poo poo happens fairly often :v:

Or, they disabled the DRM for their Home sale and will enable it again later! :tinfoil:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Poetic Justice posted:

Out of curiosity what are some games you enjoy that don't have some sort of fail state?

The best computer game ever created, Monkey Island 2.

Speaking of which, MI 1 & 2 in VR when???

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Or, just do what I do and ignore real world poo poo when in VR :shrug:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
That is odd, I'm getting 11 on an older pc:

And this was with chome and a ton of other poo poo running, too

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I have the slim vr cover, it owns. It basically removes the majority of the blur, now only far edges are still a bit blurry, and the bigger fov is nice too. Definitely worth it imo. Being able to easily clean them is nice too, especially during these hot summer times.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Isn't that what serious sam VR is going to be? But with way more style.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
lol that bobross in tilt brush

TheRagamuffin posted:

What is it that causes that blur, anyway? I figured I just didn't have the fit right, but is it something else?

Lens cause the blur. Apparently the optics aren't perfect yet in a 1st gen device! :v:

Real answer, it's really hard to make lens work for such a huge fov and keep image quality good all across it, even with the fresnel trick. Getting closer makes it a bit better, but it's still nowhere perfect.

Truga fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Jul 21, 2016

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Obviously put it over the SRV panel. Not like you'll use it during trucking :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Sky Shadowing posted:

Heads up, apparently that overlay does NOT work with the Rift in some games, most prominently Elite. It uses SteamVR and those games forcibly use Oculus's rendering solution, which prevents it from working.

Hopes crashed like when I tried to land on a 5g planet.

You can allegedly run some games through revive to trick them into using steamvr on the rift instead :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Is NMS going to support VR on PC?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

KakerMix posted:

AFAIK there is zero VR support for NMS on any platform.

I'm about 99% sure they said PSVR support confirmed, but I can't find anything about PC VR

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Looks like someone finally got the loving memo: http://store.steampowered.com/app/372650/

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
People are saying it's fairly buggy still, I'll probably try it out tomorrow and see.

vvv: welp that's sad. I was hoping for a decent VR desktop by now. Not that virtual desktop is bad it's just... Well, still a normal monitor.

Truga fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Aug 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

SwissCM posted:

My original post was that WSAD+Mouse wasn't standard.

Yep, mouse3 (i.e. middle button, this was before mousewheels) was the default forward button back then, and z+x were strafe buttons. Then you bound space or something else close to zx to go back because defaults had no setting except down cursor. I played FPSes like this until the late 00s.

Also, yeah, a lot of people played doom etc on keyboards, and they were terrible at fragging for obvious reasons :v: