Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

EdEddnEddy posted:

Also how good is VorpX now from those of you who have it? I have been eyeing it for a while for games like Skyrim and Doom
I've used it in Skyrim, first off it uses the closest resolution it can (1280x1024 in this case) and stretches/distorts it to the the proper resolution so it's even blurrier than usual. I use a lot of AA to fight the aliasing flicker (FXAA in Skyrim settings, transparency and general AA in videocard settings), and the image is fairly smooth after that (I use 2x on my 970 but would probably obviously be better with 4x). My biggest gripe is that since it requires the control scheme to use a mouse for headset emulation, the gamepad is emulated which works fairly well except that movement is very sudden (all or nothing movement) and jarring, making a controller pretty unusable. However, it works fine with my huge mod setup and supports SKSE (not ENB though), which is really nice. Overall, the software definitely works as best it can, but feels like a beta or something because of all the weird poo poo it does. For instance, you can only open and close it if you have VR started or else it will start spazzing out; and it changes settings in a strange way-- like somehow it made all my text on the SomethingAwful forums appear in bold permanently. Seriously every post is all in bold type face now and no other site does this and I'm pretty sure it's VorpX's fault; seriously I don't even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Hey, I know this has been mentioned, but Pavlov is good. Like really good for 6 bucks.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Pavlov updated; it's not really apparent from the patch notes but it takes a lot less bullets to kill someone, it feels like the appropriate amount now. Probably updated to the latest Unreal Engine version as well, as performance is a bit enhanced across the board.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Dongattack posted:

Instantly googled to see if you could use it with Skyrim, and you can, but no SKSE :negative:
Skyrim with the SKSE (script extender) works with VorpX. I have a huuuuge mod setup and it works just as well as vanilla. I haven't tried the latest version but the biggest problems are that the graphics don't scale especially well (stretched resolution) and the gamepad emulation sucks so you will have to use mouse + keyboard.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Pretty surprised that I stumbled upon Anyland instead of hearing about it anywhere. It's truely a garrysmod-type social game. I've tried some of the other "social" apps but none seemed to get people talking more than the stuff in Anyland. You can build and script just about anything, and the creator is obviously a genius. Every time I jump into one of the (sadly underpopulated) rooms, it feels so surreal. Beside the fact that it's 2 or so updates away from being a bit more friendly, stable, and usable, anyone who has VR should have this game, especially for the fair-as-hell price of $12.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
I've only used ReVive the last couple of weeks, but noticed now the Oculus software shows me their store whenever I start up VR now. I'll allow it.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Seems like we get one of these stories every few years about how they've come up with a new way to put ads in games, but it never even happens. I think the upcoming foveated rendering makes it easy for HTC to tell advertisers they can tell them if users actually look at the ad, which nothing else can do yet. In reality, it will probably just be used in a few apps.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Kraven Moorhed posted:

I only tried it once and I still need to go back and tweak things to work better, but even with crazy zoom and giant honking cartoon arms it was goddamn magical.
Get the Immersive First Person mod to fix the oversized first-person arms. Skyrim in VorpX certainly isn't perfect, and boy does that game love crashing, but it works the best it can. The last VorpX update added some nice performance tweaks to the recommended settings as well as support for leaning the viewport, or moving your character when your HMD moves. You will have to play on mouse + keyboard because the gamepad emulation is not functionally worthwhile. VorpX is a bit pricey but it seems like the creator goes back and improves all supported games with each update. Personally, I've not been able to play Skyrim for a long time in VorpX because of movement quirks that lead to queasiness and crashing (probably from my enormous mod setup). But it works.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Slothpolo posted:

Can anyone recommend some VR titles on steam where you do almost nothing and just watch some creative poo poo go down?
Anyland can fit this description if you actually find a group of people online

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

InevitableCheese posted:

My Vive comes in today, and I've already dropped $200 on games. Weeeeeeee
pro move

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

InevitableCheese posted:

To be fair I've played VR games of others and never had trouble with motion sickness.
Only noobs get motion sick, loading up on VR titles to play as soon as u get it is the thing to do. People keep saying Pavlov gives the worst sickness, but I've never even had an inkling of nausea or discomfort playing that game. Some others make me feel a little weird, but I don't think it's a concern for most people. Enjoy!!!!!

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Re: FO4VR, the E3 presentation briefly showed some huge walking robot which wasn't in the base game unless it was in the main story which I still didn't play. I imagine they will add a DLC-sized new story to help justify the purchase, but never underestimate Bethesda's laziness and newfound love of rehashing. I am unfortunately a slave to this and will buy it on release, probably with a sub-$50 price from greenmangaming.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
These motherfuckers gonna make us pay for the same mediocre game twice

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
That's really cool. I don't think I'll get into photogrammetry, but I've been thinking about building a 1:1 of my VR area and room (using geometry and props) so I can safely move around the whole room, then put a sniper outside the window or whatever.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Zero VGS posted:

Can you flip people off with the knuckles controller, I think that's all anyone cares about.

VR important gestures checklist:
✓ can flip people off
✓ can make circle with one hand and penetrate it with the other

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

homeless snail posted:

Do a lot of people still play Pavlov?
It's the only VR shooter that has players as far as I can tell. Battle Arena is similarly fun, but the few issues it has keeps enough people away that it's going to die. Pavlov nowadays is a crapshoot of which workshop map is running on the 2 servers that have players during prime time. Gameplay is top-notch as far as I'm concerned, and you'll enjoy it if you've ever enjoyed a few rounds of Counter-strike.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Yeah I don't have Onward, but generally multiplayer VR titles (especially at the <$20 range) seem to have a problem with player population at this point in time

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
I should also mention that playing the Facility from Goldeneye in Pavlov is kinda like realizing a childhood fantasy. Loses major points for only being the earlier half of the map and for super lovely spawns, but worth the price of admission.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

honda whisperer posted:

"If you exercise in VR... You exercise in real life"
Gladius is in the summer sale, and I tried it out last night. Not very polished, but well done. I played for a little bit and got all riled up cutting dudes and had to stop because my mouth got extremely dry and I realized it was the first time I exersized in weeks.

God bless VR for keeping us healthy

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

SwissCM posted:

Ladies and gentlemen, Virtual Reality.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ly2j3rCyg28
You gotta think at least one of these people is just taking huge bong rips and bobbing his head up and down

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
I'd recommend Lethal VR if you ever enjoyed that Police Simulator arcade game. Has some knife throwing rounds that suck, but they slow you down a little bit since the shooting is so fast paced. Also recommend Elite:Dangerous only if you are a spaceship nerd, or have people to play with now that multicrew is there along with regular mp.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Are you like me and that always-on Oculus window got your jimmies in a rustle? Put this AutoHotKey script in your startup that will check for the window every 5 seconds and hide it. Press ctrl+alt+O to restore/hide after that.

code:
SetTimer CheckOculus,5000	;5 seconds

^!o::				;ctrl+alt+O
IfWinExist Oculus
{
	WinHide Oculus
	SetTimer CheckOculus,On
}
else
{
	WinShow Oculus
	SetTimer CheckOculus,Off
}
Return

CheckOculus:
IfWinExist Oculus
{
	WinHide Oculus
}

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Tom Guycot posted:

I recommend to anyone to download this handy tool: https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/5okoju/oculus_tray_tool/ it lets you adjust a lot of things, but primarily I set it to stop all oculus services when i don't have the tray tool running. When I want to play some vr i just launch the tool and it starts it all.
Opening that link made my browser disappear ;) I'll have to make the code more specific later. I'm a Vive user so the window opens when when ReVive does (every time VR starts), and stays there without being able to minimize to tray or close.

Pontificating Ass fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jul 3, 2017

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Needs a lighter headset and 4k+ displays for comfortable use for more than an hour at a time or whatever imo. Also, there are no killer apps and barely any full games, and even the "full" games are lame job simulator/zombie killing games. But the tech works great and the VR scene is young- it's a time for development, and it's going to explode at some point in the near future. Maybe when generation 2 comes out and all the old models start to float around.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
The problem when you make a game is you get used to your design and lose sense of how other people use it, I think this is how bad designs in general get left in games. The GORN movement takes getting used to, but I don't like it either- it made me decide not to get the game at all. I'd rather have d-pad movement so I can just walk around like normal.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
I didn't want to imply that I thought the GORN movement was bad, just that the initial impression people get is hard to compensate for. It's a learned process for movement in this case, so it doesn't come natural, but I think it's a smart system. It just kinda hurts my head, and d-pad movement would be more natural for me. It's partially done for balance and maybe the developer thinks learning the movement is part of the nuance of the game, so that's fair enough.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Chadzok posted:

It's worth noting though, that according to the dev, trackpad movement is still "objectively worse and will make people have a worse time in GORN in the long run." So while you no long feel nauseous, you should feel ashamed and defeated and not enjoy the game.
I think people just need an easier way to get used to the movement system, maybe if there was a d-pad + armswing mode, it would be easier to get used to. When I played (only a little with the armswing movement), it was frustrating because it's hard to actually remember to do (at first), and you get stuck or move the wrong way or whatever. If I could fall back to the dpad, and use the armswing for quick movements, it might be ideal. VR is going to be about mixing what feels natural with game systems, so a movement system that is almost entirely unnatural (using arms to walk) is a bit of a VR no-no imho. Although VR is supposed to transport you into a different world, and if that world is one where you smash top-heavy thugs that basically walk with their arms anyway, well, your brain will get used to it.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

ZombyDog posted:

Also, I'd rather play a good game.

then why did u buy VR????

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Using regular locomotion, it feels like Pavlov or anything like that. Maybe buy some seasickness pills for your little baby tummy

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

BMan posted:

I saw this as an option in Sairento and uh, what the poo poo? Someone is making smell-o-vision for VR and not as a joke :psyduck:
For promotion for the new South Park game, I heard they sent out press kits that give you ultimate immersive gaming experience by releasing fart smells into your nose at certain times during gameplay

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Rastor posted:

https://www.engadget.com/2017/10/30/neural-network-nvidia-images-celebs/

DO NOT advance to 1:46 in the video if you are currently on drugs

*smokes drugs*

*clicks link*

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Oculus puts in millions upon millions of bucks into software development for the Oculus and haven't even made a demo as interesting as The Lab, which Valve did in their spare time. Looks to me like Oculus is fueled by money, and Valve by talent. Maybe if a few million people buy a budget Oculus set they can start to make something worth putting on their platform.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Sorry i think i was just trolling

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Tom Guycot posted:

The problem with doom is, even if you switch controllers, it still shows the hands holding the guns and the hands used to interact with stuff as the opposite hands, which makes it look all kinds of hosed up.
I fixed this in my own projects in UE4, this is incredibly lazy and oversighted

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Unreal 4 has really forward-thinking design when it comes to foveated rendering and scalable rendering in general. I think it would be ready if there was a hardware solution, but my impression was there is simply no eye-tracking hardware fast or accurate enough.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Republicans posted:

Fallout VR is one of the games I wanna revisit on the Index because the game's art design isn't exactly vibrant under even the best circumstances, in a Vive it's an ugly mess of brown and grey. Also surely modders have managed to make the game look and run reasonably well by now.
I like Fallout4 and all, and have modded it a lot- but the game is a mess and sucks in VR. Modding has taken a lot longer than any previous game because of how sloppy Bethesda is becoming. They didn't add scopes to the game, and modders have tried like hell, but it looks like an enormous pain in the rear end to even add that one thing. Graphic overhauls are definitely good, but you might be better off getting performance packs for graphics because the game was never optimized in the first place.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

GutBomb posted:

(scopes are weird but to say they don’t work is disingenuous)
I played at launch, I didnt know they actually fixed anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Hellsau posted:

zucc's private vault