Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

LLSix posted:

No Man's Sky was pretty poorly received in the non-VR world. What's driving your optimism?

I decided to hold off until after launch to see what was up and it was laughably bad. But it seems like they buckled down and turned it into a good game. I recently bought it on sale for 22 bucks and I've already put 11 hours into it. It's pretty fun if a bit grindy. For the most part, it seems like it often pops up with something new that makes something easier that was annoying me. It has a slight learning curve where you can seeming gently caress yourself over and soft lock the game because it hasn't gotten to the part of the tutorial where it would say you can craft something to get out of the current situation and you don't know how to craft yet. But other than that, it's pretty fun. I just keep the wiki open when I get confused about something. I'm looking forward to how VR works out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Taintrunner posted:

So I guess Dirt Rally 2 got it's VR update and there's some hosed up thing where the Steam version only works with Vive and you have to buy the full price version off Oculus Store to get decent implementation?

For all we know it's because Oculus paid them for the Rift implementation and won't let them enable it on the steam version.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I really wish aircar got made into a real game. It’s such a cool demo and the atmosphere and flying is great.

The guy said if it gets enough installs on steam, he might consider making a real game out of it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Big surprise a boutique sports car company can't mass produce.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

NRVNQSR posted:

Fundamentally NMS is just another survival/crafting sim. It's a pretty one with a decent amount of content after this many years, but it's still one of those with all the weird bugs, idiosyncrasies and repetitiveness that implies. It's absolutely something you can have fun with and I'm sure VR will add a lot but you'll get the most out of it if you go in with moderated expectations.

Unlike some other games, NMS does a good job of always giving you something new to do. I just wish there were better storage options. You get these giant storage containers that only hold five things each.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It seems like they botched the implementation of VR somewhat. It seems like the per eye resolution it renders is based on your desktop resolution or something.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Ralith posted:

Anyone else having NMS instantly and inexplicably exit to desktop after selecting a difficulty level?

I think there was a bunch of instability added in the big update because even pancake players are reporting constant crashes. Luckily it doesn't seem to affect me. Though I have had a bunch of freezes that I thought were leading to a crash when I hadn't saved in a while.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

ItBreathes posted:

How much (physical) space do you need for NMS?

It was designed for PSVR so probably seated/standing.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
As the air force found out when designing cockpits decades ago, there's no such thing as an average human.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Owlbear Camus posted:

What happens if you just doggedly walk thru the walls?

I would have it disable your guns until you walk back through the wall you came through but still allow you to get shot.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
They aren't very accurate and often require two phones.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

This is probably the most wrong sentence I've ever read that was still technically correct.

Prey animals generally have eyes on the sides of their heads so that they have larger fields of view and would be capable of seeing predators stalking behind them.
Predator animals generally have eyes on the front of their heads so that they'd have an easier time tracking fast moving prey.
Small differences in IPD between human individuals don't mean poo poo. All humans are technically "predator animals".

Nice try, you wide eyed freak. I'm gonna hunt you to the ends of the Earth.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You can also be a weirdo whose eyes are asymmetrical.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I don't think you need a perfect optician measured IPD. I highly doubt mechanism of the index or the OG Rift is anywhere near as accurate. Using a mm ruler will be good enough.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Sucks that the OG touch controllers are stuck in a dead tracking system.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Mr Phillby posted:

I'm in the market for decent grips for playing beatsaber and am genuinely tempted to buy these dumbass things:

The nintendo loving wii has nothing on all the ephemeral doodads I want to buy and attach to my rift S it seems.

Also why is the Disposable Hygiene Batman mask for Virtual Reality apparently thing?

If the only thing holding the controllers is in the friction of those cups, steer clear.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

EbolaIvory posted:

Full time content creator.

Office is green. Got tired of messing with green screens and just yolo painted.

It doesn't mess with your brain?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

PirateDentist posted:

Is there any reason to NOT get an Index at this point if you can stomach the cost? I haven't heard of any major hardware or software issues that might warrant holding off on one. I want to upgrade from my HP WMR set, and due to how I have my VR setup any system that uses stationary cameras is entirely impractical. I can swing plugging in a few lighthouses though.

If you don't need a VR headset RIGHT NOW, then I'd wait a bit. The Index controllers have an issue with the joysticks where they sometimes don't click when at the edges of their rotation range. It doesn't affect all of them, and the problem isn't the same on all controller affected by it. So maybe wait to see if Valve privately admits it is a problem and quietly changes manufacturing to address it. No way will they ever publicly admit it is a problem, because that would mean replacing everyone's controllers. But they might fix it in the background and people might get enough data from later buyers to figure out if it has been fixed. If you don't think that will bother you (it's just a sound and feel thing, if the controllers don't actually register a click, valve will RMA your controllers), the Index is the best overall VR thing you can get right now.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

ShadowHawk posted:

I just noticed that my index controller thumb stick doesn't seem to be able to go in the down direction at all - like something is physically blocking it from doing that. I haven't played any game that really uses the thumb stick yet.

Is this a known thing?

It should have the full range of movement, I'd contact valve.

SirViver posted:

Ehh, I dunno. I have yet to play a game where I actually need to click the joystick while pointing it somewhere. To me that would feel like bad game design regardless of the Index controller issues, as I think joysticks are best used for providing semi-precise input and the force required to click it makes any notion of precision go to hell anyway. If a game uses it as a crutch because it is so complex it needs to emulate having more buttons then I guess it could be a problem, but considering most games are also designed to work with the Vive wands that don't have a joystick at all I doubt that is an issue in practice. That said, I haven't even started using Revive yet, so maybe Oculus games use that kind of input more? No idea.

From my current experience I would've kicked myself not getting an Index just because of this. And I doubt waiting is really going to improve much if anything.

I run my Index with a GTX 1070 on an i5-3570K (both slightly overclocked), and so far it runs most things fine. Sure, not with all the bells and whistles enabled and not on any kind of supersampling, but even with games that don't always (or never) hit 120 fps I have yet to notice any actual discomfort. The only thing I actually had to do was increase the resolution in SteamVR to 100% as it would default to 58%, which looked like rear end in some games.

A 1080 (which is about 30% faster than a 1070) is definitely not going to gimp your Index VR experience.

I guess some games map clicking the stick to sprinting. So if you are moving forward and need to sprint, not being able to click the stick would suck.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think it's one of the new guys.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
So I found this stream and it seems like they can't handle showing both the game footage and the camera at the same time because one freezes and fixes and then the other freezes. Also, this is real weird.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If you mean with Index, I think they don't work with the version two lighthouse stations unless you have the special vive pro ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Did this get posted yet? Index teardown:

https://imgur.com/a/E8rDHfu

It does use a diffuser! They obviously did it better than Samsung. Not sure what I was expecting for ipd adjustment but it wasn't metal rods

The person who posted that said they were going to put it back together without the diffuser to see what it was like and I never got around to seeing if they ever did that. If the choice was between minor screen door effect with sharp visuals, and no screen door effect with slightly blurry visuals, I'd choose the sharp visuals every time.