Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

No it predates that by a long time. Also it's like a 16 page book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Huh, after my completely giving up hope on it ever seeing the light of day, Time Heroes just dropped a link to an art free, fully laid out version of the book in backer updates.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Insanely, for certain types of shipping it is both faster and cheaper to use two different carriers, one to get it to a USPS distribution center, and then normal postal service from there.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

clockworkjoe posted:

if they max out every single reward slot except for the bottom one, then they will barely make their goal with $7126 if I added it up right.

You did. I kind of understand the logic of what they're going for, but if they max out their reward tiers exactly except the highest value one then all of the stated copies of the game are spoken for so I'm not sure how they're going to A WEBSITE TO ACCOMMODATE FUTURE SALES. XES RECORDS FOREVER BRAND if they don't have any more copies of the game or money to print and ship more (because they are totally not going to have money to print and ship more with that funding goal).

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Evil Mastermind posted:

Again: almost 5 years now to write a game that's classless d20 with Fate's aspects bolted on.

e: although really the mechanical side of things was completed a while ago because he sent it out to backers. And the setting stuff was written by someone else ages ago. We've been waiting on Chapter 9, which is the GMing advice chapter, for over 300 days now.

What the ever loving gently caress. Unless this chapter contains the instructions to a lost Incan treasure horde, the secret to immortality, or a comprehensive and non-PUA way to win friends and get women to sleep with you, there's no reason for a chapter that, knowing GMS, will boil down to 'build a complicated adventure path and force the players to dance to your whims, lol!' can take ten goddamn months. I mean it's not like he tapped Robin Laws to write it (because Robin Laws, as a professional, would have turned it in on time) it's a GMing advice chapter for the most paint-by-numbers game made since the latest thing Monte Cook put out.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

boom boom boom posted:

The Tanto Cuore campaign is actually doing five campaigns at once, including local crowdfunding sites for each of the new translations they want to do. Has anybody ever done anything like that before?

I've seen a few do multiple crowdfunding sites at once, but usually it was just scuzzy poo poo like doing an indiegogo flexible funding on the side. Why the hell indiegogo let's you do that and it hasn't caused them to crash and burn still confuses me.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

signalnoise posted:

I received a Tokaido collector's edition in the mail today.

What the gently caress was I thinking

I don't know, is it bad?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

signalnoise posted:

It's just a really expensive version of a like 25 dollar game

Ah, so it's a "drunkenly bought entire series of Mama's Family off of eBay" level of regret, got it. We've all done that before. Speaking of, there's a Prestige Edition of the Mistborn board game.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I got my my print copy of the new Bulldogs in the mail yesterday. No shipping notice, of course.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Man this was a fast turnaround on the Million Dollars, But card game, apparently copies are already going out. I'm going to guess they were all set to go and just used the Kickstarter for promotion and to recoup costs already spent on printing.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Arivia posted:

As someone who isn't familiar with random lovely anime things, how popular is Ninja High School? Is it any good? Has anyone ever actually heard about it? Or is this like Ken Penders writing an RPG?

I don't know if it's any good but it's been an indie comic for years and years.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Holy poo poo Reaper is doing dungeon terrain? If I still had face to face games I would be all over that.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I checked my email and received a welcome surprise in the form of the pre-release version of Mononoke Koyake for GSS.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Interface Zero creator Gun Metal Games put out a notice on Tuesday that they are now broke as hell due to not being able to budget properly for the amount of supplements they promised.

I'm not sure if this counts as a Kickstarter fail or not, because they did get the core book and a number of supplements released.. it's just they put in addons for a LOT of supplements.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Alien Rope Burn posted:

The third book from the Savage Worlds Rifts kickstarter dropped its PDF today. So for those of you who were worried that Kev would somehow sink that ship, it thus far remains unsunk. There's still a good chunk of stretch goals yet to come out, but the game is complete and playable now.

The real question is does it combine the worst parts of Savage Worlds and RIFTS or is it actually decent?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

FastestGunAlive posted:

Zweihander, a WHFRP 1e retroclone: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/grimandperilous/zweihander-grim-and-perilous-rpg

I've never played WHFRP but I am kind of interested. I'd thrown in a few bucks but the $20 tier is an art free early access pdf rather than the full deal most kick starters do at that price.

Those price tiers are poo poo. The only way to get a full digital version is to buy a physical version, and not just any physical version, a hardcover version, also $40 for a softcover add-on, plus a promise that they'll raise that price later?

Avoid.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Oh my god, someone's trying to make a game based on Bitcoin. :lol:

If this had a different theme I'd buy it, depending on the cards. But bitcoin? No

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

If you're not going to use a traditional book printer there is no point in hitting up Kickstarter for money unless you have a hell of an art budget. If you're going to do like some kind of super fancy boutique print with real leather covers and gold leaf that's another valid option.

Otherwise, put up your own drat money for your heartbreaker/retroclone and sell it through a POD middleman. Take out some ads. If you want to be a real publisher act like it. If you don't want to be a real publisher then sell your drat book to one!

I am so sick of people using crowdfunding like it's a free candy bowl and then crashing and burning because they don't know what the gently caress they're doing.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Wow, way to negotiate in bad faith with your backers and the license holders. After doing something like that I'll never give those guys any money.

Edit: That also raises the question of whether they legally can even continue the campaign since all their promo material up until the announcement has been branded.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Wouldn't they have to redo all the designs, molds, logos, etc.? Or are they not even there yet?

Depends on the terms of their license and whether or not they completely dropped it or are just not using the name/branding. If they got the designs in a separate deal they can still use the figs... but judging from how these idiots are operating (never EVER work in a foreign language through an interpreter on a deal like this, get a bilingual on staff) I'm betting this is going to crash and burn even if they do keep enough money for their funding goal.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Man, I can't loving believe that Nocturne came out before Far West...

What's next, Alas Vegas is actually going to exist?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Now I'm starting to wonder if it's even going to fund.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Jedit posted:

Not Armoured Core continues to fall slowly for the seventh day in a row, but expect that to increase a little now someone has pointed out that their "full refund" policy puts their Kickstarter charges on the customer.

One thought I had: if they're no longer using the Armoured Core licence, does that not mean they'll have to retool all their models?

Wait, it does? That's a dick move, the project creator is supposed to eat those as a cost of doing business.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Kaza42 posted:

Yeah, that's also bullshit. Here is a list of inter-college national debate winners. His name is missing from that list.

Hell, I'm having trouble finding this rear end in a top hat on FACEBOOK.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I don't know what's funnier, the fact that he did the exact thing you've been talking about or the fact that it only got 8 backers.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Kai Tave posted:

I believe the excuse is that he's an artist and you can't rush his creative vision. Or maybe he doesn't have an excuse, who knows? He's making plenty of money though so he must be doing something right.

Anyway this is drifting a bit far afield from the topic. On the whole while I believe that with a certain degree of opportunism bordering on the ambulance-chasing you can effectively monetize anything...I recall that after Anita Sarkeesian crowdfunded her video series that a video series claiming to refute her assertions was concocted in protest and crowdfunded. Except the creators walked off with the money and to the best of my knowledge never produced anything. In general though I don't feel like there's actually a big crossover market between people who enjoy sitting down to play board games and people who need some form of social lubricant in order to tell you all about how Obozo's homofascist lie-beral agenda is responsible for both 9/11 and ISIS. Or perhaps it might be more accurate to say that there isn't a big crossover between people who regularly patronize Kickstarter boardgame projects and your average Trump supporter, I'm willing to believe that the average person who rants about welfare queens and food stamps in TYOOL 2016 would impulse buy Obummeropoly if it was on the shelves at some big box store in order to show it off to his buddies for a laugh, but this same demographic may not in fact be big on crowdfunding in general, let alone crowdfunding tabletop games even if those games are a paean to their own prejudices.

Well yeah, crowdfunding is communism.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

In the latest :psyduck: news regarding the Mekton KS, they've purchased their own POD setup to send out the books... next thing they're going to reveal they've built their own cloud storage solution to deliver the PDFs at this rate.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Nancy_Noxious posted:

I'd rather play Monte's stupid system than GURPS or any other simulation nightmare...

Edit: joke is on me... Monte's system will probably be a badly disguised simulation engine with story poo poo thrown on top...

Ding ding ding!

Monte is firmly stuck in the past and I don't think he's ever designed a game that wasn't a simulation engine.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

That would require having heard of it in the first place. Also :lol: at getting a cut of GODUS of all things.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Well, the as of yet untitled Rifts® Board Game upcoming kickstarter has been officially announced, look forward to the as of yet untitled Rifts® Board Game.

Did they ever get all the Robotech they owed backers out the door, or is this a case of Kevin being a jerk again?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

I don't understand a word that was said. Glad I'm American and don't have to worry about poo poo like that. :911:

Basically VAT is a sales tax, sales tax is supposed to be paid at the point of sale by the purchaser, so middlemen (shipping companies, etc) don't pay it, but you, the consumer, do.

The problem is previous KS campaigns people were just eating the VAT instead of passing it along to the consumer (all inclusive pricing) instead of adjusting their pledge totals up to account for VAT and still charging the same base amount to everyone (tax not included pricing). Which meant that the people running the KS got less money from Euro pledges, sometimes substantially less.

Since that isn't a sustainable business model, here we are.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Jimbozig posted:

You're not helping. Saying you need to pile three layers of sugar and fat on makes them sound really dry and dull. But I know that scones don't need all that and a fresh one is a delight all on its own.

Pancakes on the other hand are trash and the only reason people eat them at all is as a vessel for delicious maple syrup. That's my hot take.

Then you've never had a properly cooked buttermilk pancake, or you just have bad opinions, I don't know.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

You should pretty much never back a KS for a PC game. Especially if they don't have any sort of playable demo build available at the start of the KS. Best case scenario the game comes out as advertised a year (or more) behind schedule, worst case scenario the drat thing never comes out due to incompetence or outright fraud.

Edit: In the middle you get Mighty Number 9.

Kwyndig fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Aug 23, 2016

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Mine is Metamorphosis Alpha, and that at least partially delivered (PDF, still waiting on the physical book).

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Never heard of them and they have the worst possible name to try and Google.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

FRINGE posted:

Why? Has there been a specific issue? So far (out of the three that I cared about) Eternity and Wasteland2 came out fine, and Torment seems to be on the way. Other ones I thought about, but didnt jump on (Like Banner Saga), also seemed to work out alright.

Video game Kickstarters are probably the most inherently risky and as i mentioned in an earlier post pretty much nobody is able to give a real development roadmap with a realistic release date ever.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah fixed funding is basically just a different site KS, flexible is scam town.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

gradenko_2000 posted:

This had better be the best GM advice chapter in all literature.

It better be the best piece of writing, period.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Randalor posted:

Who's Zak S? Just someone with an internet cult following whos followers attack whatever their great leader dislikes?

Pretty much... and the things he dislikes makes him one of the most reprehensible people on the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Because GMS constantly says 'it's coming soon and you guys are gonna be blown away and so loving sorry you ever doubted me you'll see'?

Like if he just said 'guys my depression is really bad and it's keeping me from writing, I don't know when it'll be done but it'll be done when it is and I'm sorry' do you think there'd be the same reaction?

That's pretty much my only reason for GMS bashing, if he just said "I have depression/was in a car accident/house burned down/relative got cancer and I don't know when the book will be finished." It would barely be a blip on my radar. It's the constant 'Any Day Now!' He has in reply to criticism or questions and failure to deliver that keeps me mocking him.