Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

The_Doctor posted:

Coming soon: DM advice dice! For when you want to ask ‘are you sure?’ to your players.

It went live, but I predict doom because it's a Games campaign that doesn't have stretch goals and tons of minis :smaug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
That's exactly how it works :)

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Well joke's on me predicting :rip: because this is ending soon and was actually successful!

The Eyes Have It posted:

I predict doom because it's a Games campaign that doesn't have stretch goals and tons of minis :smaug:

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

My rule is that if it's a one person project don't back it. I think I have a failure rate of around 50% with those. Everything else is fine.

I think it's riskiest if it's someone's first rodeo and they're going straight from Grand Vision to Finished Product.

Good Intentions aside, kickstarter basically requires you to know everything (costs, timelines, hitches and roadblocks, etc) up front (and be correct about them up front, because there isn't a do-over) so people doing it all for the first time run a big risk of getting it wrong.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
The layered cards making paintings is a neat gimmick.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Tekopo posted:

Worked on this game personally, but I think it's quite neat: Defence of Procyon III. It's a two side wargame with two distinct factions per side, one controlling the fighting on the ground and the other one in space around the planet where the fighting is occurring. Each faction plays completely differently, each involving a different card mechanism, so there's a lot of scope for different experiences in the game. The kickstarter has some rules video and the game is intended to play quite fast as well. It also has systems to play with just 2 players as well.

That looks really interesting. The art design is a swing and a miss for me, but I love the ideas of:

a) Team-based play
and
b) Air support / Ground forces teams, with each playing very differently.

I'm a wee bit concerned about the result looking a bit like 4 different games in one but could be really nice if it's pulled off. Gamplay chain is only as good as its weakest link, etc.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

moths posted:

"Kickstarter isn't a store" comes into play.

Amusingly, if the guy weren't working for KS, then his project probably would have had a pledge manager.

KS isn't a store but pledge managers' main function is to (take a cut and) basically make it work more like one :smaug:

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
What exactly does his role give him access to do vs what people imagine it allows

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
One one hand I don't want to back, because gently caress 'em, that's why & even if he's not doing this exact thing he's probably doing something else that sucks

On the other hand it is a great game for a good price. Sometimes I have to think of myself.

Hold up just realized I can do one and join in on the other anyway :slick:

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I think a single person launching and running multiple ongoing campaigns is what they frown on.

The GoodGamesGroup running a KS for Chess3.0 while also having launched ART WARS 2000 reprint, not so much.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I was kind of excited about Tiny Epic Quest but after reading the rules, setting it up and playing it for a bit I just kind of packed it back up with a frown and sold it at a con auction.

It's a game mainly about choosing which one of many progress bars to go up on. This won't matter to everyone but: there is not really any element of discovery or exploration in the game.

The semirandom map and the movement rules are interesting, I liked how the different travel methods allowed you to move differently, that was neat.

To me the game mainly revolved about the itemeeples gimmick.

e: vvv yeah there was quite a bit of stuff to track, too.

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 20:17 on May 21, 2020

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Kemet is really good for requiring conflict, yet simultaneously making that conflict feel impersonal.

e: Like, just to clarify that's in a good way. Conflict and feeding the ceaseless meat grinder of combat is required and incentivized such that it's hard to feel "picked on" when someone targets you for combat.

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 01:07 on May 28, 2020

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Spookyelectric posted:

Anyone else considering "Alice is Missing?"

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/huntersbooks/alice-is-missing-a-silent-role-playing-game

This gimmick seems really immersive and clever.

That seems really inventive and clever. I mean, the text message thing seems like a neat gimmick by itself, but the rest of it actually looks really well thought out and complementary to the texting part.

Seems like a neat online play idea too.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Defenistrator posted:

AAA - THE CHANGE | AUM AMEN AMEEN, via @Kickstarter https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tripeeegames/aaa-the-change?ref=android_project_share

I am at a loss at what I'm looking at.

The external links are all about breaking bad'

The best part is in the ABOUT US

quote:

Our journey in creating games started with Breaking Bad - The Board Game.

Oh hey they actually did a published game at least, so-

quote:

Though we couldn't get a license, we

Ahahahahaaaaaa so they didn't actually, just wanted to :goleft:

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Yeah that's a dick move for sure, that's the creator straight up getting what they claim they need but pulling the rug out anyway.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Yeah that's some seriously great success. Nice work!

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I honestly don't mean this snidely, but:

23 scrolls of the mouse wheel before I get to description of the gamplay :coffeepal:

vvv Yeah I mean kickstarter exclusive comic and t-shirts and all kinds of stuff is before the gameplay, it's super buried.

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Aug 27, 2020

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I want the secret to having multiple 4000+ USD vanity backers right out the gate :shepface:

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Paying artists is a stretch goal, duh

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I thought The Grim & Deliberate Beast (wrapped up by now) has some interesting ideas. Basically an effort to give monsters some uniqueness and purpose in RPGs.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/zombiecircusgoats/these-monsters-have-minds-of-their-own

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

theironjef posted:

Also did you check out the great jokes it comes with?

I sure didn't!

I'l'll be honest I mostly liked the concept and wanted to share, but the more I look the more the execution seems... spotty, at best.

For example, the bits that involve stacking modifiers I think are wrongheaded. The idea is to add quick fight flavor and variety easily, and having the GM generate & track MORE modifiers over what a GM normally does seems like absolutely the wrong direction to go.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Suddenly Susan posted:

Buy a laminator and some fine point wet-erase markers. Your maps will be infinitely re-usable, they won't smudge during play, and the colors will really pop.

I'd add to leave a generous margin around the board, so that there is a generous extra buffer of space that doesn't get markered up.

It'll make wiping clean FAR easier and less messy, trust me :v:

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I am fortunate enough to just order from the local copy shop (which happens to be Staples) and order a color printout on cardstock + lamination, and pick it up when it's ready. It's a very affordable alternative to buying a laminator, but not as cool.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I am concerned about a few things re Darkest Dungeon not least of which is what looks like a large number of modifiers to keep track of and stack on top of constant die roll combat resolution.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
That looks super fun. No one I know likes dexterity games except me though :(

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I know a guy who does loads of game trading (and some buy & sell) and I can tell you that unless it somehow freakishly breaks the mold set by countless other KS releases, the game will punch well above its weight in terms of trade value especially if it's the full set (and you can always part out the exclusives or expansions from the rest of the game separately if you want to keep the base game or something.)

Am I just sharing facts, or am I enabling? You be the judge :angel:

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

On shipping, I'm sending out Disposable Heroes this week and you may recall it was a domestic US only kinda deal. Imagine my delight when I notice in the shipping notes someone has put their real, european address, and a little bit saying to ignore the fake US one.

Pls don't do this lmao

:lol: what the gently caress

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
This isn't out yet but it will eventually be a KS campaign I'm sure. Been kind of following Where Humans Don't Belong on BGG since I like space exploration as a premise. 

Well the designer recently posted more about what the game will be like and it's partly intriguing but also kind of ehhhh sounding.  
My takeaways were:
  • Originally came from an idea to make a tabletop version of Starship Traveller (the fighting fantasy book) for which he tried but failed to get the IP
  • The main cores of the game actually sound a lot like he's describing the main parts of Voyage of the BSM Pandora, which I happen to think is a fun little gem of a game (but dated and impossible to find.) 
  • I think he makes the assertion that the narrative elements will come from interaction of game systems rather than from a narrative book (good)? But it's also really vaguely worded and could actually mean anything really.
  • Lots of references to a mix of films and games and stuff to explain "what it will be like", which is a kind of dull-red flag in my opinion. Now maybe that's just elevator-pitch talk, but it also reminds me a lot of another game Lifeform (see below)
  • He made Lifeform, which is a "all my favorite parts of movies and stuff jammed together" game. For starters, behold a 40+ page dumpster fire of a fine-print rulebook. As a chaser, when I did a web search for rulebook errata the first thing I saw was a BGG post with the designer being all how dare U
Basically all the good parts that get me interested do so in a way that gives more apprehension than excitement. Maybe I'm getting old.

But it still really is nice to see people work on dream projects that excite them.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
:respek: The best thing I can say about the Lifeform rulebook is that all the information needed to play the game is technically present, in one way or another (barring edge cases, because of course there are edge cases.) But it is a really badly made document in many ways.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Without condoning, I do have some sympathy for his situation (not his actions, his situation.) From his perspective, he's always done things a certain way, found success doing it, and now suddenly "the rules" are changing. That's tough for anybody.

The way he's handling it though is of course neither productive, nor endearing.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Mors Rattus posted:

On the other hand, the way he was doing things was a bad, illegal way, and the rules didn't change, he just didn't pay attention to them before.

You'll get no argument from me on that point

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I'm very on board for ISS Vanguard -- but April 2022 ETA, plus the cost of a top-shelf game just for shipping (:canada:) makes it kind of hard for me to sign the dotted line on the campaign. I think I'll end up waiting for retail & crossing my fingers.

Interesting thing about gamefound, I can't seem to make just a $1 or $5 pledge with no reward (which I do sometimes for projects I want to follow and get updates on, but not get a reward for.) Am I missing something? Filling in the blank pledge amount treats it as an "add-on" only which can't exist without a "pledge" :confused:

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I am a huge sucker for a good co-op narrative but Tainted Grail was a swing and miss for me. Still, I am cautiously optimistic for ISS Vanguard, for some reason I don't remember. I did look into it and decided to give it a shot, then promptly marked it on the calendar and otherwise forgot all about it :goleft:

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I think ISS Vanguard will at least be good trade fodder, probably not too hard to get value out of it that way if nothing else. A buddy of mine lives the used game trading lyfe and has inspired me looking at KS stuff though that lens sometimes.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I always thought cyberpunk was best summed up as "high tech, low life"

The idea of people drawing hard and fast tribal lines over what is or isn't proper counterculture / punk etc is, well, idk exactly but it's definitely kind of funny.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Man, "grind" in any way, shape, or form is absolutely something I am not interested in having in my tabletop games.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Thanks for the tip, I always wanted to grab a copy of Black Sonata but missed out. I'm interested in Maquis if it's the same people behind it.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Thanks for this list, some of these really turn my crank but I missed on backing some of them. Thanks for sharing!

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Hah, I looked at that and kind of feel the same way. I'd want to play because of the painting part, but I suspect it's not the star.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Using aliens to make something supposedly familiar (a bar, etc) seem, well, alien and unfamiliar is understandable if kinda shallow and insensitive to the made up aliens' theoretical feelings.