Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

FirstAidKite posted:

Is it? Maybe it's because the stuff I know about d&d basically involves 4e and a tiny bit of 3.5e but his work didn't come across as remaking d&d, intentionally or otherwise.

Again: as far as I can tell, because this guy has like no information about this game anywhere. The game doesn't seem to be about anything, it's just classes and races and maybe grid-based combat? I mean, look at his selling points: there's an equipment chapter! A "massive" world history nobody's going to read! Rules for the game master!

I did some googling to see if there was something else, but all I could find was his reddit posts, which boiled down to "Hey, check out my RPG!" with no details. Then when people asked him for details, he just said "you can get the preview for $10" instead of just telling people what was unique about his setting, or how characters work.

At the end of the day, he made another d20-based high fantasy RPG in a hobby littered with the corpses of thousands of d20-based high fantasy RPGs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

GimpInBlack posted:

Alternatively, I have a theory that the John Wick trilogy is an Unknown Armies campaign focusing on a former Godwalker of the Executioner turned Masterless Man. Most of the supporting characters are high-ranked Executioner, Merchant, or Necessary Servant avatars. Laurence Fishburne is an Urbanomancer.
:stare:

Holy poo poo that makes so much sense

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Even after all this time it still blows my mind that the Guide is still as popular as it is.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

You did good, kid.

I always say that Scrape did the lion's share of the work. He's still the primary author.

That said, I really wish I knew how many downloads the Guide has all told.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Vincent Baker just launched a KS for Under Hollow Hills, which is about a circus that travels through both the human and fae realms. He's been previewing stuff for this through his patreon for a while now and it all looks really good.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Flavivirus posted:

Ayup, DriveThruRPG print proofing can be a real pain in the rear end. Good job on getting this to the finish line!

In other news - I'm launching my new kickstarter later today, and thought I'd give the thread an early preview.
Oh heck yeah I'm onboard for this.

Question, though: on the rewards, it says on the £25 level that you'll be able to add the deck on in BackerKit. Does that mean it won't be available as an add-on otherwise?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

90s Cringe Rock posted:

drat, this is a brutal printing error. Fortunately it's also, as he says, as irrelevant as it is obvious.
I like the printer's "maybe we can put a sticker over it" mentality for fixing the big printing error they did.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Spirit Island Digital has two days left and is within spitting distance of funding. They're not doing flex funding, so if it doesn't hit $40k it fails.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The next Torg Eternity kickstarter has launched, but instead of using Kickstarter they're doing it directly at GameOnTabletop, which is the site Uliseses Spiel uses for post-KS pledge management. They've also run a bunch of projects directly on there; the main difference so far seems to be that it actually charges you up front so it really is more of a pre-order than anything else.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Voidhert Symphony has about two hours left and is almost at its final stretch goal.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

JazzFlight posted:

Why do these political Monopoly knock-offs always look the same every single time?
Because the type of person who bothers to come up with something like this are the types who only have One Joke and that joke is "other side bad".

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Look at all you scrubs who didn't back Far West. :smug:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Final Girl is a solo board game from the folks who did Hostage Negotiator (and uses a modification of the same base mechanics). You play the main character of a slasher flick, trying to rescue victims before they get offed and prepping for the big final confrontation. There are currently four scenarios, each with a killer and map, but you can mix-and-match the slashers with the locations.

The game itself works off a card-management deckbuilding-like system. You don't have a deck, just a hand of cards to play. When you buy cards they go to your hand, but when you play them, they don't return to the market until the second turn after they're played. You can also play cards to mitigate a bad die roll, so it becomes important to know what cards you have available and when they're going to come up again.

I've watched a few playthroughs and it looks pretty fun. I like how you can put any killer with any map, plus each killer has multiple powers and "endgame" abilities so they don't always play the same way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RpXdVXclxA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXMyhEmQmj8

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Infinitum posted:

Steampunk Rally Fusion - Ending in 9 hours.

I've backed Steampunk, it looks like a good drafting game and it looks like a solid product.
Steampunk Rally is fun, especially when people start leaning into the "oh, the optimal strategy is to blow myself up as much as possible" mindset. One of my favorite plays of it involved Marie Curie winning because Tesla and Edison were so focused on attacking each other to pay attention to the actual race.

Final Girl has 24 hours left and has unlocked all its stretch goals.

e: oops, my mistake; it hasn't hit its last one, but it's "build your own Final Girl using our tool" thing so I don't know if that really matters. At least we got the "Gruesome Death Matrix"!

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 01:56 on May 15, 2020

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

jivjov posted:

The only thing of that whole interaction that doesn't make sense to me is his pithy "never back one of my projects ever again" thing. Like....you pledged, you didn't realize there wasn't a manager for it (which is a understandable thing given their ubiquity, even if it's stated in the KS FAQ as such), so you asked for your money back. Why would that warrant that level of hostility?
This is a guy who, back in the original Torchbearer KS, cancelled people's pledges because they dared ask him to drop his wizardspeak long enough to answer the simple yes-or-no-question "is my book on its way?".

I remember on G+ when that happened and his excuse was "people hate me no matter what I do so I just do what I want anyway."

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Impermanent posted:

there is some merit to the idea of community managers, and products they are involved with, being tagged as such. For example, it seems far less likely that they'd up and disappear on you, like a few of the kickstarters I've gone in on have.

Will Hindmarch is still updating the "almost done" project: dark as of january of this year.

Did that actually come out? I remember Always/Never/Now taking forever.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Jedit posted:

Defenders was a trash fire. Reputedly the 2nd edition fixes that, but I'm not interested.
For the record: yes, the 2nd edition is an improvement over the original version.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Zurui posted:

I didn't back Tiny Epic Zombies because I'm not into zombies as a schtick but if the mechanics are good I may look into it. I do love the ITEMeeples.

Out of curiosity, what was such a mess about Tiny Epic Defenders?
It was pretty badly balanced; it was easy to get into a no-win situation through no fault of your own. Unfortunately I don't remember where my copy of the original to compare and it's been a long time since I played it, but I remember my group hating the original and we loved the second edition.

Zombies is pretty good as a co-op; the focus isn't so much on killing zombies as trying to complete three randomly-chosen missions. Just don't use the "Quarantine the Infected" mission and you're good.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The new Torg Eternity kickstarter for Tharkold launched a few days ago and has a better setup than the last few they did; now you can just get the book and cards up front and not get buried in PDFs.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nholmes/gunandslinger-0

This looks pretty cool; a three-player game where one person plays a gunslinger and another plays the gun.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

I've always wanted to give it a try but miss having the money when the KS roll around, and if we're honest it's a game with Lots of Miniatures that I probably won't play much. I love the I Can't Believe It's Not Street Fighter! idea, though.
There's a digital version on Android/iOS now. It's $10 but it's just the base set and Redemption expansion right now.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

For the dozen or so of you who still care about Torg Eternity, the Orrorsh not-on-KS KS is up.

https://www.gameontabletop.com/cf430/torg-eternity-orrorsh-eng.html

It also has a giant-box option since y'all seem to be into those lately.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

While I backed it immediately it's going to be the... interesting cosm. Like one I really hope is approached with some sensitivity since they have a bunch of people called Victorians now hanging out on the Indian subcontinent which has been a Thing in the past.
I feel they did a good job with Tharkold and dealing with an entire realm based on abuse, so Orrorsh should be fine.

The real question is how they're going to handle Pan-Pacifica. It was supposed to be the last realm released, but given that a large part of that region is "being ravaged by a corp-engineered plague" they wisely put it on the backburner.

quote:

Potentially problematic issues aside, the all-digital everything pack is $80. I wanted to balk but then thought with all the labor that goes into it that's probably what it's worth, maybe even still not. Even more people are going for the 'everything in the box' option anyway.
The previous KS have all had a ton of digital content and are worth the $80. You get the core book, a bunch of adventures, one mini-campaign, and a bunch of reference cards, archetypes, maps, and so on.

quote:

Shipping on that thing is going to be the real horror of the Gaunt Man, eh? Eh? Yeah, you get it.
Pretend I made a joke about the Ecology of Fear and either Trump and/or Boris.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Two projects just dropped:

Everyway 25th anniversary edition is an old diceless game by Jonathan Tweet (although I don't know if he's involved with this version). It uses Tarot and art cards for inspiration.

Maquis: 2nd Edition is a solo worker-placement game about being in La Resistance. It's a small footprint and plays pretty quickly so it's something you can bust out and play on a TV tray. There's an upgrade kit for $5 if you already own the first edition.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Wow, a bunch of stuff is launching today. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/9thlevel/rebel-scum/

quote:

Over the last few years, there has been a startling rise in the number of people that are willing to SPEW HATE. These people believe in white power, and fill the internet with nativist, racist, fascist crap. Quite a few of these evildoers are deeply entrenched in the various FANDOMS that us nerds adore. Very specifically the fandom of a certain space opera franchise that we love with our whole hearts has too many sad bad guys.

We are making REBEL SCUM as a way to re-discover the roots of the original message - how some scrappy, anti-fascist heroes can fight back against a government with unlimited power (including giant lasers and space magic). There is something refreshing and healing about getting to punch space nazis in their faces in a game, while we are living in a time when we have once again been called on to fight ACTUAL fascism in the real world (not just in our space operas).

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Not to mention the piles of angry chuds who are still pissed off that the main character of the new trilogy was a g-g-g-girl and that a BLACK MAN was a major secondary character (and have made insanely long anti-SJW videos about it). Not explicitly fascist, but in the same general wheelhouse, I figure.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

JazzFlight posted:

I also wonder about how the Empire was able to completely erase the knowledge of the Jedi and the Republic which lasted like thousands of years while the Empire is less than 20 years old? Just really good propaganda and information control?
Let's put it this way: we are further away from 9/11 than the length of the time gap between Episodes 3 and 4.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I don't know if this got mentioned in zinequestchat, but Gridshock 20XX is a post-apocalyptic supers game and needs a little over $100 in the next 40 hours to make goal.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Infinitum posted:

lol got my copy of Tiny Epic Pirates over the weekend, and there's so much poo poo in the box it won't close fully.

This shop on Etsy does phenomenal inserts for Tiny Epic games. He made an all-in-one-box one for Pirates, but it sold out so fast he had to remove the listing so he could get caught up. I highly recommend his work; I'd keep an eye on the shop for when the Pirates insert becomes available again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Jarvisi posted:

Yikes. I'll need to keep an eye out. This box is ridiculously small for all the poo poo they put in.
Game Foundry does have pics of their insert: https://www.instagram.com/p/CNQl36mBdbc/

e: there's a separate insert for the Amdiak expansion.