Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
This game about airships looks pretty cool - I backed with the intent of giving it as a gift to my father, who loves board games, history, and airships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Infinitum posted:

Yeah you're poo poo out of luck if you wanted it early.

Shipping dates are already in the 2022s

International only got 1 tier and it's Jan 2022.
Honestly I'd just rather save my money for such a far away date, and I'd be able to actually afford the biggest table by then :laffo:

I decided to pledge to get a spot in line, and can always pull it later.

I tried to pledge for May 2021, about 5 minutes after they launched. That failed, because the tier filled up while KS was processing my pledge. Then I tried to pledge for July 2021. Same thing happened again. Finally got a spot in the October wave.

It's over $4 million already.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Chainclaw posted:

Geek Chic was established and had been around for years, looks like 2008 to 2017. I think they went under because they hired up too fast when they had a lot of preorders and burned through the deposit cash faster than they were putting out tables. Wyrmwood was founded in 2012, so they're roughly as established now as Geek Chic was when they went under.

Wyrmwood is acquiring a very well-established traditional furniture company, Keystone, to fulfill this Kickstarter. I have a pretty good degree of confidence that they know what they’re doing here. I don’t doubt there will be bumps, especially with this scale, but they’ve been pretty careful to only commit to what they’re confident they can deliver. They’ve talked about it a lot on their (hilarious) YouTube channel, I recommend it if you’re on the fence.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
The Wyrmwood table kickstarter just added a bunch of slots, if you hurry you can get in as early as July 2021 (at time of writing).

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
Blacklist's next giant miniatures box (and optional board game) is up: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/blacklistgames/dire-alliance-horror. It's horror-themed this time.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
Honestly as a backer I’m kind of fine if Mortasheen’s RPG rules are total rear end as long as it’s a good setting/ideas/art book. I’ll probably never get to play a system that obscure anyway unless I specifically sought it out. I’m a sucker for big weird idea books that I can ste- I mean get inspiration from

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Infinitum posted:

I think it's more they need to stop talking about flagrantly flaunting OHSA rules in front of their cameras, and talking about some of their employees weed habits.

He's also in a mask, when he normally isn't, so it might also be covid related.
Particularly if they aren't meeting their state mandates regarding face masks in the workplace.

Yyyyyyeah they've posted a ton of videos with folks not wearing masks, and they just recently had both a video where a number of employees admitted, on camera, to having come to work high, and a video where the CEO of the company tells a line worker to disregard safety regulations if he feels like it.

So my guess is they're in legal hot water for one or both of those things.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Agrias120 posted:

Wait, what happened?

Unclear, they just put out a backer update that Jason is taking over as CEO. Doug is still with the company but “working on other things”.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Mors Rattus posted:

I'd guess taking the blame for the OSHA stuff talked about before?

They just posted a video of Doug’s resignation speech and it’s basically that. He realized he’s not the person to take Wyrmwood to the level of scale it’s going to be at (because he’s going to get them sued, basically) based on some internal concerns about OSHA stuff, general stability/predictably stuff. He’s probably right, and I think Jason and James (the guy from Keystone) will do a better job as the company gets bigger.

So nothing external, no lawsuits or whatever, but that’s still the driving force - not getting to the point where there’s a Big Problem.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Comstar posted:

I couldn't stomach watching all of it - what I watched included:

This is a much harsher read of the situation than I came away with. I read it as a small company CEO realizing that his business is now too big to be managed by someone like him, who is more interested in employee freedom and flexibility than following the letter of the law.

I think it comes across as techbro-y because it includes a lot of the same things that techbros say, but most techbro CEOs don’t step down at that point, they resist or half-rear end implementing the necessary things, whereas Doug is intentionally saying someone other than him will do a better job of taking the company where it needs to go from here, not disagreeing that these things need to be done.

I disagree with Doug on a fair few things, but he seems to genuinely care about his employees and is willing to let someone else take the reins when they tell him he’s not doing a good job. I agree someone else needs to be CEO, but I don’t think he’s a bad person or has had self centered motivations for the things he’s done thus far.

Also keep in mind that this company has basically exploded over the course of a year or two, including a large acquisition. No HR department and not providing health benefits (which, as mentioned above, honestly sounds like a reasonable tradeoff in MA) are a lot more acceptable for a ~20 person company in 1 state than a 100+ person one across 2 states, and that change happened really fast, on top of dealing with COVID. I’m willing to give some benefit of the doubt, especially given that they’re taking steps to catch up with where they should be.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
My only experience with "they just took the money and ran" so far is Barkley 2. Thankfully only $15.

So far everything else has come and been pretty good when it did, though frequently late.

Arcsech fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Mar 26, 2021

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
DCC Dying Earth is live, with some early bird spots left.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

E: Oh looks like this is a different game set in the same universe. Boy is my face red, and now I want to know if it's good as well.

The KS page says it’s compatible with the original, so probably basically the same game with new cards and a new gimmick or three.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

lilljonas posted:

Great :) I'll be sculpting all Summer to gear up, so I'm taking ideas if there's a specific type of duck adventurer you'd like me to try to sculpt for the set. Currently working on archers and mages. My thief sculpts ended up pretty boring so I'll go back and revisit them after that.

3 small ducks in a trench coat. Artificer duck with a metal leg. Witch duck. Business duck with a top hat and cane.

Honestly you’d probably do well to have a few that are blatantly Ducktales characters with the serial numbers filed off. (Like all of my other suggestions).

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
Blacklist is currently advertising their next kickstarter, which will bring them to 5 (five!) simultaneous unfulfilled projects. Plus two more preorders that were done direct rather than through KS.

I genuinely don't mind delays due to shipping or whatever. But continuing to pile more on just looks irresponsible.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Memnaelar posted:

I mean, not really. They've fulfilled four KS'es reasonably well (although they picked a bad distributor for Street Masters: Aftershock and that turned into a fiasco). But maybe you're just being comedic on a dead internet comedy forum.

I dunno, how they've handled this has left a really bad taste in my mouth. All of their commications are like 60% repeated explanation and links about shipping crisis. Which... Sure. Fine. poo poo's gonna be late, that happens. I don't really care about that part.

But they have such a huge backlog of unfulfilled work - literally more unfulfilled Kickstarters than completed ones - and they're adding more on the pile. And drat near zero concessions to backers. Not even an apology, not even after like 3 months in a row of "oh, we're gonna get them on a ship this month! (A month passes) oh they didn't actually get on a ship, sometime eventually but definitely nothing is our fault at all". It really feels like they're going "eh, we've got your money, who gives a poo poo about you now? By the way please give us even more money"

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
The DCC Dying Earth Kickstarter is down to about 45 minutes, if anyone's been putting that off. I don't think they'll hit the "send the authors to stay at the Vance estate and see what they come up with" stretch goal unfortunately, but I could be surprised - it's only about $30k away.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Quixotic1 posted:

Did the gaming table making company, was it wormwood, get it act together?

I'm talking about the one that had multiple non OSHA compliant factory layouts, got alot of employees sick from Covid, i think the CEO was such a California tech bro like boss he hired a new CEO just to take over the mess?

Kinda. They’re a bit behind on production due to an essential custom machine being delivered hella out of spec and the vendor giving them the runaround on fixing it, but that appears to have been fixed as of this past week. Everything else seems to be in order so we should see things pick up very soon.

He didn’t hire a new CEO really, one of the other founders took over and seems to be doing a better job - I haven’t heard anything in the way of that kinda complaint and no news is probably good news on that front.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

EverettLO posted:

Myth and Goal is up. It's intended to be a Blood Bowl competitor.

People can complain that Blacklist Games has like three unfulfilled miniatures Kickstarters still on the books.

Not just three: This will be their sixth simultaneous unfulfilled miniatures project. Two of those are a year overdue, and another is about to pass the estimate with no sign of shipping starting any time soon.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
The photos of those cards look kind of similar to these Bicycle Prestige cards, which are also some form of textured plastic and feel quite nice IMO.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

JazzFlight posted:

Quick update for Blacklist Games from one of the 4 guys who work there (Scottie Mick):

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2760357/article/38868241#38868241

Ehh...? I mean, at least he's not running for the hills just yet?
I just want to get a couple of the unfulfilled projects to my doorstep, at least just 1 or 2. I bought Dungeon & Lasers terrain back when I had already pledged for these minis, so I'd like to be able to use it.

All this and yet they’re still one of two companies putting out new Kickstarters while hellaciously behind on prior ones.

The other one is Wyrmwood, who is producing videos multiple times a week talking about the exact ways in which their very expensive table production machine is hosed and what the next steps are to fix it.

Blacklist is “I dunno, THINGS, man, like we can’t tell you cause it’s too sikkrit”

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

senrath posted:

I feel their point was that Wyrmwood is doing the whole "run multiple Kickstarters while behind" thing way better with how transparent about everything they're being, not that Wyrmwood was also doing it badly.

Yep, it was this. While I’m not thrilled with how behind Wyrmwood is, they’ve done a good job communicating why and what they’re doing about it.

Admittedly this is easier if you’re doing the manufacturing vs waiting for a cargo ship halfway around the world. But like, they’ve been very vague and given wrong info several times. They say they can’t give more info because it’s not professional to give out info about partners, but either the shipper straight up lied (almost certainly) and don’t deserve professionalism, or Blacklist did.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
I sort of don’t give a poo poo about the Mothership rules (I’ll probably just use the Alien rules? Haven’t run them yet but it seems quite nice), but the modules are pretty cool - I wish there was a modules-only option.

E:

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I’m not really keen to kickstart a D&D style roleplay when I already have some roleplay books I haven’t had the chance to use.

Well if I held to that philosophy I’d never buy any new RPG books, and that’s obviously not right.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Shes Not Impressed posted:

Still waiting for an update from Blacklist miniatures series 1. At this point it will be a whole year since backing soon.

What a disaster.

They just posted an update that… doesn’t really make me feel better.

quote:

Firstly, I would like to apologize for the vagueness of our last update as we were not in a position to get into specific details due to the sensitive nature of our relationship with our partners. Although this update is to help clarify things, please note that I cannot disclose information beyond what is shared today for a variety of business-related reasons.

The Situation

Essentially, the extremely inflated (and ever-infating) costs of shipping anything this last year caught up to our Fantasy Series 1 project (our largest project to date) and our partner had to pay exorbitant costs upfront for us (as contracted) in order to ensure the large amount of containers/product we were waiting on (10 containers for the US/CA/ROW alone) not only made it safely to their destination port via frequently-disturbed boat rides, but also were released into their custody (i.e. to avoid product lingering at port and risk being destroyed). This is standard operating procedure and normally isn’t a problem, but as you know this year the cost of shipping anything around the world has been so high that the fees paid in advance were higher than anyone could anticipate, added to the difference from inflated costs of having completed fulfillment from Asia, Australia/New Zealand, United Kingdom, and Eruope. Therefore, our account must be settled completely before these final items can be shipped out. The fact of the matter is that it will take us more than one installment to cover the high cost, thus the delay. I am working on a number of options to accelerate the process required to settle this and am confident that items will be released sometime early next year. To be clear, although the shipping inflation has taken everyone by surprise, we will not ask our backers to bear the burden of paying more for shipping Fantasy Series 1.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

JazzFlight posted:

Agreed. They just made a post in the Fantasy Series 2 updates as if everything's going great for that and estimated a (completely unbelievable) August 2022 delivery for those.
In the comments for Series 1, there was some vague hopeful message from the person running the account 8 days ago:

From what everyone can gather, they owe Quartermaster Logistics money and the minis will just sit in the Florida warehouse until they can pay for them. Their Hour of Need boardgame is in the same situation in that warehouse.

I just want to get at least a few Blacklist products I have floating out there in the ether. I have like 5 or 6 things in their unfulfilled pipeline that cost a lot altogether.

So like, death threats are obviously uncool.

But also, man, they just never say anything concrete. It's all vague handwaving, all the time. I've got a few things in the pipe from them as well and never again.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
This month's Blacklist Fantasy Series 1 excuses are out:

quote:

Hello adventurers!

We’re sorry it’s taken a while for us to return with another update regarding the fulfillment for US/CA/ROW, but while we'd been hoping to have something new or informative to announce after the last update, the wheels are still in motion. But, we're here today with an additional announcement.

This project’s fulfillment has been a disappointing experience for all of us, and while we know we've previously apologized for the repeat delays 2021 brought, we want to further express our apology to our backers with the following:
Free Lasting Tales Rulebook PDF for ALL Fantasy Series 1 Backers

We’ve recently announced on the Lasting Tales Kickstarter that the Lasting Tales core book is complete, and we are working on the next steps to get it to the printer. We’re also working on getting it uploaded to a service so we can distribute it to eligible backers there.

Now, to reward all of you, our Fantasy Series 1 backers, for your incredible patience over the last year as you suffered through various regional delays (some longer than others), we’ve decided to give you all a PDF copy of the Lasting Tales rulebook. For our friends in US/CA/ROW, we know it’s been difficult seeing the rest of the world enjoying the set, so we hope knowing you’ll have an entire game available to use the miniatures upon their arrival will help make this final leg of the journey a bit more tolerable. For all our other backers who have been enjoying their minis, we hope this gives you new ways of playing with them!
Click here for more details on what you'll find inside your copy of Lasting Tales

We hope to have the PDF ready to distribute within the next 2 weeks, and it will be sent to the email address we have on file for your pledge. We’ll post a new update at that time to let you know you should check your inboxes.

No Book Refunds Past Distribution of PDF

Due to the above, please note that once we send out the PDFs to you, we will not be able to refund any copies of the Lasting Tales core rulebook you might have pledged for in the Lasting Tales Kickstarter. This is because at that point, all Lasting Tales core rulebook backers will also be receiving their redemption codes and we won’t be able to modify orders containing the books. Thank you for keeping this in mind.

--
Follow Blacklist Games

Keep up to date with all our ongoing and future projects via blacklistgamesllc.com/follow!
Help

Need help with a pledge? Have a question? Visit blacklistgamesllc.com/help

--

That’s it for this update, but we’ll be back the moment we have a status change to share with you all! Thanks again for your ongoing patience, everyone!

Except they didn't even bother with the excuses this time.

Note that last month they said:

quote:

QML has confirmed that they have received the financial portion from us and we will need to provide them with a new backer data export to ensure they have the most up-to-date backer data possible (more on this below). Once this is done, we'll update you once we know what the scheduling is. We’ll then provide you all with updated timelines, as mentioned in previous updates, and things should move quickly once this is done as all the items needed are ready and waiting in the local fulfillment warehouse.

I hope to be back with another update in the next week or so to provide you with more specific dates regarding the commencement of fulfillment and estimated completion times!

Absolutely no reasons given for the delay, or any details at all. I already backed Lasting Tales, like a fool, so the free PDF doesn't do much for me. Good push to request some refunds, though, not that I expect to get them.

Arcsech fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Mar 30, 2022

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Magnetic North posted:

Also, I wonder if "crowdfunding" could be said to apply to continual Patreon supported game systems like One Page Rules and Archvillian Games. These are mostly files for 3D printers, but maybe there are ones for table top RPGs? I have no expertise on these; I just know them by osmosis since they are referenced by and/or sponsor some trad gaming youtubers.

I support Macguffin & co, which makes micro-settings which are pretty clever (and includes Johnny Sims of Magnus Archives fame as one of the main creators, if you're familiar), as well as Printable Heroes, not so much to print them and more so I can easily grab tokens for whatever the monster of the week is and random NPCs.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
Cool, DHL claims to have delivered my Redgrass wet palette, but there’s definitely no package here (and I know it didn’t get porch-pirated, I have cameras). loving DHL.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Arcsech posted:

Cool, DHL claims to have delivered my Redgrass wet palette, but there’s definitely no package here (and I know it didn’t get porch-pirated, I have cameras). loving DHL.

This got delivered today. Tracking still says it was delivered yesterday. :iiam:

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

BaronVanAwesome posted:

I still don't get it, are they in a warehouse or not? Didn't they raise a bunch of funds for a second release?

I also would like my box

Blacklist has been claiming since February that QML has all the packages in a warehouse and they’ve secured funding to ship everything and just need to provide QML with an updated backer list, which is like, really hard man cause of all the backers.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

EverettLO posted:

Their GoFundMe is already canceled, not that it was going to work anyway. They're screwed and have been lying about it for well over a year.

Talk on the Kickstarter page is that it got pulled because GoFundMe doesn’t allow rewards for donations. Even hosed up their grift in a boneheaded way.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

armorer posted:

I would like to eventually get them, and I'm willing to pony up for shipping (again) as long as it isn't too insane.

Same, like... the pandemic hosed shipping forever, I get it, I'm willing to cover that gap. Especially given how cheap these were originally. There is a limit to how much I'd pay for shipping but like, they're in the country already at least, hopefully it won't be that bad.

I'm glad it's QML doing it directly though, I'm not giving Blacklist any more money.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

armorer posted:

https://www.qmlogistics.com/blacklist/

Another update - theoretically we'll get the ability to pay QML for shipping as soon as tomorrow.

Looks like I’m in the smoke test group. $31 shipping to get the copy I already paid for, extra copies are $125+$86 shipping. I’m in Colorado in case that changes the number.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

armorer posted:

It's not great, but I'll spend another $31 to get my minis if that's what it costs.

This is about how I feel. It was a screaming deal to start with, it’s substantially less of one now but I’d rather pay it and get the things than stay mad and not pay it out of principle.

Edit: and it is also two loving gigantic boxes, and it’s currently the holidays. It’s better than I was afraid of, honestly.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

rydiafan posted:

Ok, so who else still hasn't gotten their shipping notification for Blacklist?

I’m still waiting as well.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

rydiafan posted:

I feel like anything Wyrmwood makes you could find for half the price and twice the quality from some local craftsman.

I dunno, Wyrmwood’s stuff is more nicely made than like 90% of what I see at local shops and con vendor spaces. Their prices do get ridiculous quickly above the bottom couple tiers of woods though, but those bottom tiers are pretty competitive with smaller makers, especially given all the fancy magnets and stuff.

Like, if you have a local maker that makes stuff like that, go for it.

Edit: this is about their gaming accessories, not the furniture. I do have one of the cheaper Wyrmwood tables I’m pretty happy with but am much more lukewarm on their furniture than their accessories. If you’re spending table money it’s probably worth finding a local craftsman to commission from yeah.

Arcsech fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Feb 16, 2023

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Lumbermouth posted:

Did they ever address their sexual assault problem?

Not really, no. I’m not going to be buying anything more from them because of it.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Echophonic posted:

I was kind of intrigued by the KS for The Magnus Archives RPG, but it's Cypher and they want 75 United States dollary-doos for a hardback. Is Cypher actually any good?

I’m a Magnus junkie; listened since like halfway through Season 1. I backed the Magnus Protocol Kickstarter for probably more than I should have. I’m taking a pass on the RPG; I’m kind of shocked at how lame it looks given how into tabletop the cast & crew are.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Zurai posted:

Wonder if people realize not everyone has a 3D printer.

Not to defend gratuitous minis badly disguised as bad board games or anything, but the comment is a bit out of touch.

A decent resin printer is literally the same price as the lowest tier of this kickstarter. Admittedly that’s not what everyone wants to do but like… I bet you can find someone locally who has one and will print poo poo for you in exchange for you painting some stuff for them or similar. 3D printers aren’t exactly high dollar or particularly rare anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Desfore posted:

[It] was kinda fun at first, […] but when people got close to winning it just devolved into running a checklist each turn.

So just Munchkin, then