Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

The PDF of baby bestiary volume two is out and it is cute as hell :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Ropes4u posted:

Days of ire: Budapest 1956 is in the last 36 hours. I can't decide if I would get this game to the table.
I know the designer of this game, he's a good guy. I'm not in love with his games but he's a Vlaada-lover and seems to understand how to design stuff, so I would recommend him.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I went into my backerkit for the printed version and it said P&P to the UK was only 20 dollars. But I already pledged the additional 65. What the hell.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

This is looking really good, a remake of TSR's Battle of Britain:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1992455033/battle-of-britain

I saw these guys demonstrating it live and it looks like a good time. I'm on the fence about backing right this minute because I'm a bit poor but £50 seems a good price.
Hahaha holy poo poo, second update: spitfire minis to be replaced with hurricanes, the real workhorse of the RAF

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Hell yes, another small variation on CAH, that's exactly what the world needed.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

The party game you probably shouldn't buy.

EDIT: I hate this fake honesty poo poo. It's like that piece of poo poo 'We didn't playtest this at all'.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I make a distinction between creative games that are like CAH/Apples to Apples and non-creative games.

Had a look at Bring Your Own Book and it's a creative game. Dixit is also a creative game. CAH/AtA and this poo poo are not.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I've backed FUnfair, a game about building a theme park. Rules seem light, there's some variety of setup, might be a bit random depending on cards but I like the art and layout.

Last few days of the kickstarter as well!

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Baron Snow posted:

The Lazer Ryderz Kickstarter is live!
And oh my god, the box is cooler then I thought it'd be.

This looks cool but I'm not sure I like the 'roll to actually turn' system within in. Also the rule book in the PbP is terribly written.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Got my Collector's Edition of Baby Bestiary (includes both BB 1 and 2) and it looks awesome :woop:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Looks nice but 29 dollars for a hardcover and 20 dollars for shipping means that this is way too expensive for me :(

EDIT: Guess I'll just get the PDF.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

So there's this: Way of the Fighter. I'm already put off by the dice rolling mechanism, but I need to do a more thorough analysis. It's Soda Pop though so I'm hesitant. I also already have two fighting games and I don't think I need a third.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

JazzFlight posted:

I dunno, I like Soda Pop Mini stuff somewhat (mainly for Super Dungeon Explore's minis and artwork), but they're not very good game designers. I watched one of the example videos they have and it looks suuuuuuuper fiddly.
Also it has deckbuilding elements, which either means that the cards aren't super well balanced or so homogenous that it's hard to make characters distinctive.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Tekopo posted:

So there's this: Way of the Fighter. I'm already put off by the dice rolling mechanism, but I need to do a more thorough analysis. It's Soda Pop though so I'm hesitant. I also already have two fighting games and I don't think I need a third.
Alright gents here's my hot take on this game after watching the rules/looking at the actual kickstarter:

The rules are pretty much dogshit IMO. Basically you get to choose if to crouch/jump/shift and your specific attack cards can only be played on a particular stance. Attack cards also only hit at specific ranges and specific enemy stances. But since you and your opponent get to set your stance first and then play your attack card, you will 100% know if you are in range/correct stance/correct enemy stance or not. So basically the attack cards just limit your actions. Also one guy gets initiative and gets to change his stance, but if he does he gives initiative away.

Alright that sounds bad but this is where it gets REALLY bad. Priority works like this: you pick up the dice you have in your active pool (don't worry what that is, it's not gonna make the rule any less dumb), then choose from 1 to 4 dice secretly to roll. You roll the dice and you add what you roll to your priority, straight up. Higher rolls ARE ALWAYS BETTER. The first example of play you have one player rolling a total of 6 on two dice and his opponent rolled a total of 2 (dice either got 1-3 or 2-4 depending if they are POWER DICE or CORE DICE). YOU SHOULD HAVE ROLLED BETTER SCRUB. If there is anything that watching fighting games have told me, is that results are 100% dependent on the RNG making your attacks go out faster or slower. Wait, poo poo, it isn't.

If you thought that was bad, you ain't seen nothing yet, folks! If you want to combo, you have to play a card that has a higher or equal priority to the previous card you comboed. What if it is lower? Well, you can roll a dice! Another expertly ported mechanism from videogames where performing combos is not a matter of skill or practice, but literally hoping the RNG is on your side.

Also, and I'm gonna sound like a hypocrite for bringing this up because I backed EXCEED (to be fair, I didn't pay any attention to the art of EXCEED and I am 100% not making that mistake ever again), the representation of women is not EXCEED-levels bad, but still pretty bad. That's all folks.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

In the interest of fairness, instead of hitting you can do a move action or a powerup (called mode), but I think that STILL can be out-prioritized. There is a bad side of getting too high a score because it makes it harder to combo further (booo loving hooo).

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

The reason why it has already funded is because 23,000 of the money they raised is through pledging of the 120 dollar version of the game with miniatures. This is 4,000 shy of the 27,000 total pledge when they first ran the campaign. As well as that, they lowered the funding goal to 20,000 from an original goal of 30,000. They have also lowered the cost of the base, non-miniature game by 5 dollars (or 10 dollars if you get both super and turbo).

This is actually quite interesting because it shows how willing people are to give money to companies as long as miniatures are involved, no matter the quality of the game.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I guess at least the Terminator KS is promising P&P in the future, but why bother even starting the KS two days earlier (and it's not like The Terminator is a hot commodity atm) when the totality of your gameplay section is this:

"Gameplay

xx2

We will be uploading a gameplay video and print and play on February 17th, so stay tuned! In the mean time, you can learn about our game design team:"

You know what priorities a KS has when it uses up most of the page showing pics of Minis rather than, you know, the actual game.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

theironjef posted:

I like the XCom boardgame a lot. I would have figured it's not really "Here's your favorite video game, now as a vaguely related board game" that sucks, but rather "We recreated this genre of video game in general."
I feel like the XCOM boardgame is half a game. It tries to ape the resource management/strategic map aspect of XCOM and completely ignores the other part. I think it would be pretty difficult to recreate the whole package so I understand why they did it, but it ends up feeling shallow because the only choice (for most roles) is what bad things you want to deal with most, and then all you do is push your luck in order to determine success. The only role in which the choices don't feel binary is the Scientist, because at least he gets to decide which of his research projects he actually wants to progress. Everyone else feels reactive and not in a good way.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

Dinosaur Island - non-copyright infringing board game about running your own dinosaur theme park. Resequence DNA! Make dinosaurs! Build rides!

That shipping though... ouch.
This might be interesting but I don't like the design they've chosen and especially the colour palette.

EDIT: I mean, I understand what they are going for but the predominantly teal/fuchsia colouring is not for me.

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Feb 22, 2017

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

EverettLO posted:

I thought Dead of Winter was a critical darling. Huh. What is wrong with it?
The objective cards lead to situations in which, because everyone has a secret agenda, there's an easy out for a traitor. Just knowing that everyone has a secret agenda is a detriment to the game, and destroys the atmosphere that the game is trying to portray. The traitor mechanism is deficient because it's easy to know if someone is actively sabotaging, so no one does it, but it's trivially easy to stay under-cover, because when asked why you are doing something, you can just say that you are trying to fulfill your secret objective (which you can't counter because, well, everyone has a secret objective).The game tries to get you into a 'for the good of the group/for the good of yourself' decisions, but this is hampered by the fact that you still lose regardless if you helped the group or not to win. The atmosphere of the game lurches from serious to comical to serious without regards to tone, the choices presented in the game are binary/have an obvious good choice/bad choice dichotomy, and the art itself sometimes is laughably bad (see the old guy with a gun for an arm).

EDIT: You are right in that everyone seems to love the game, because everyone treats it as a storygame, but the issues in gameplay are too obvious and glaring for me (and quite a few people here in TG). Fans of the game try to paper them over by saying that the flaws allow the game to be thematic, but I have the opposite opinion: they actually substantially detract from the theme. The Board Game thread in TG was EXTREMELY HYPE for the game when it was announced, and people were hoping that finally it was a good zombie game after a glut of bad ones, but the hype died down really fast and was replaced with disappointment.

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Feb 22, 2017

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Cinnamon Bear posted:

I can't find it at the moment, but a few years ago right after the game launched there were some play by post games of it here with a lot of the seasoned Battlestar players, including myself. It was an absolute disaster, as the mechanical problems became very apparent. A second game was put together with an attempt to try and make it better using optional rules (or house rules, I forgot), but similarly was completely underwhelming. I know after that Dead of Winter just wasn't talked about much at all in either the board game or traitor game threads.

Anyway, I forgot the name of the PbP but maybe Tekopo remembers (were you in it as well?) if you're interested in seeing the post-by-post arc of hype for a game dying.
Yeah I was in it: it was the game in which the pirate character that steals stuff from other players has a logical reason for doing it regardless of if he's a traitor or not.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

The two games we ran are here and here. The second link also has a picture of Grandpa Gunarm. Archives needed.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP_9zH9Q44o

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Don't worry lemon-lime I'll be getting them no matter what :v:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Lemon-Lime posted:

But this one contains zero giant-titted Nazis.
We all have to make sacrifices somewhere.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

EXCEED s2 is up

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

illectro posted:

There's a lot of scientists who love games -

Dante Lauretta, the principle investigator for the OSIRIS REx asteroid sample return mission is a gamer who's created a couple of space themed educational games, mostly aimed at families and kids.

The current campaign is 'Constellations' a game build around collecting the right cards to create the constellations in the night sky.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/827615927/constellations-the-game-of-stargazing-and-the-nigh

But his previous Kickstarter was Xtronaut - a game where you collect the right cards to build rockets and run space missions, the rockets need to have the parts to reach sufficient deltaV for the mission requirements.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/827615927/xtronaut-the-game-of-solar-system-exploration?ref=profile_created

Both games also devote about half the manual to educational activities, so they're not just space themed games, but actually have some educational value

(yes I reviewed this today https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHNfMF2hy9c)
Have you tried Leaving Earth? It's more in depth from what I can see: it's not only about adding up the numbers of delta v according to the size of the spaceship, but actually having to work out what the mass of your spaceship is at every single stage and how much thrust you need to get that mass into LEO/lunar orbit/etc.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

The previous Gloomhaven KS raised 386k. The second printing raised 334k in under 40 minutes :eyepop:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I really hope Gloomhaven goes to show other people/companies that you don't need to put bullshit exclusives in a game to be successful. They did appear to have stretch goals in the original KS, though.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I found this pretty neat, cheap medieval duel game. Pledged because obviously I can't get enough dueling card games in my life.

EDIT: Also only 3 days to go!

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

To me, all the things that make Dark Souls good are the same things that would make a board game of it bad.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

There's lots of talk about Gloomhaven in the board game thread if you search for it there.

Just got UA3, really pleased so far :)

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Jedit posted:

Petrichor is from the maker of Anachrony, if anyone is curious.

Regarding Brass: being a re-release there are already a ton of reviews on BGG that will give you a feel for it. Heavy Cardboard did a full video playthrough as part of the KS campaign.
David's helped, but he isn't the main designer on Petrichor. I don't think Petrichor is as complex or brutal as Dominant Species, but there are ways to really screw up your opponents in it. I kind of like it for a middle-weight euro.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I remembered that I miss one card from my copy of Brass (it doesn't actually make it unplayable, but it does mean my copy has a consistent bias game to game), so I backed both. I am weak.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

So the Kitchen Rush kickstarter is finally live, and (although I'm biased), the game looks really good from what I've seen so far. No rules out yet, but Rahdo's video pretty much shows 90% of the rules so it's a good starting point.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

GrandpaPants posted:

As much as I dislike Kickstarter exclusives, there is basically no reason to back this right now over waiting to get it on CSI for cheaper. I don't know what MSRP is, but even a 20% discount plus a promo pack of additional orders (or whatever) would go a long way.
They are planning stretch goals so bonuses are probably forthcoming. There's this in the FAQ:

quote:

Is the game going to be available in Northern America through another partner?
At the moment there is no arrangement in place regarding US distribution. Even if the game ends up hitting the retail market, it is quite likely it will have a higher price than 55$ due to its high manufacturing cost.

I can't comment on the MSRP or if the above is just a way to get people to back now. Also the rulebook isn't present for downloading yet, so I would suggest waiting for that before taking the plunge. I know the designer, hence why I've backed early.

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 15:57 on May 24, 2017

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

jmzero posted:

This seems like such an intuitive great idea, I'm surprised it doesn't already exist. Kind of reminds me of Paperback that way.

Anyway, I'll be backing this one. I think it'll be great as a family game.
It isn't the first time that a sand timer was used in this way: this game, for example. I think the sand timer works better for a co-op game, however, and I think it works especially well in terms of the theme as well.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I see a lot of situations in which video game developers think it's easy to develop a board game/card game even though they don't know anything about recent development in the market. So you end up with them putting stuff that would be perfectly acceptable in a video game, like quite a bit of RNG and unpredictability, and predictably it ends up being a gently caress load of dice that are chosen as the resolution mechanism, usually with X+ to hit systems. Although fans of the videogame will usually still eat that stuff up.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Last 48 hours for the Kitchen Rush kickstarter! It just recently hit 100k and they've been hitting stretch goals pretty consistently. I've tried it at the UKGE and I was very impressed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Look forward to my upcoming Kickstarter: "Putney Debates: The RPG"