Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Bottom Liner posted:

lol they hired ant lab games (who rebranded after leaving board games for being shitlords and pal'ing around with chuds)

gently caress em'

"leaving board games" *does board game kickstarter previews*
:hmmyes: Perhaps their claims of being bullied out of board gaming were slightly exaggerated? :hmmyes:

Also, 'shitlord' is a criminally underused word, thank you for reminding me of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Just heard that the 2009 board game Revolution! is being reprinted and re-themed as Pathfinder Revolution via crowdfunding. I admit, this version looks... kinda like a side-grade more than an upgrade. (The marketing copy isn't on BGG yet, I was sent it by a friend who is on some SJG mailing list.) The original presentation is very plain but simple, but what I can see it looks pretty messy outside of the cover. I believe it's been out of print for a long while now.

For the uninitiated, Revolution is a blind bidding area majority game. There are important people in town and you are trying to influence them to gain control of parts of town, or just broadly gain support. You do this by secretly bidding for these people with three resources of increasing power: gold, blackmail and force. Players simultaneously reveal and the person who made the best offer gets the benefit while all other bids are lost. So, if you give someone 3 gold, but someone else blackmails them, that 3 gold is still spent. If your opponent blackmails someone and you applies force, well it turns out that violence is the answer. Some of the spaces also gain you some of these resources on top of control and support, but you get at least 5 tokens each round to bid with, filling the rest with gold. If you have 1 force, you get 4 gold, but if you had 7 gold, you do not gain any more. Obviously, what resources your opponents have are very important to planning out your moves. The final interesting twist is that some spaces immune to force, blackmail or both; the general can't be pushed around because he has a literal army on his side. Of course, everyone accepts gold. It's shiny. You play until all the spaces in town are full and see who has the most support to have the successful revolution.

It's light, it's random, it's silly, it's painful. Sometimes, you and an opponent both bid exactly 1 Blackmail and 3 gold and you both get nothing. I have enjoyed it ever since playing it.

Unfortunately, it is on Kickstarter, rather than one of the many illustrious non-fucker competitors, so it might be better to wait for retail release, assuming it will have one. Still, I figured someone in this thread might want to know about it.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

djfooboo posted:

I have always wanted a better printing of Revolution!, but this isn’t the angle I would have gone. I want Cole Werle to do graphic direction and be grounded in a real revolution I think.

I don't know, I feel like different factions in reality would have necessarily different abilities to vie for control, particularly since one faction is typically the current ruling class. Whereas blind bidding kind of relies everyone to start on a similar foothold, even if they gain or lose advantage over the rounds. But this talk is probably more appropriate for this thread.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

Interestingly Buttonshy are doing their next reprint campaign on Gamefound.

And it seems possible this is driven by the move to embrace the blockchain, at least in part. They don't make it too explicit, but they lament their dependence on KS. In the intervening 6 months or so, it seems they discovered they were less dependent than they thought.

God, this story never not make me :sickos: Kickstarter had a de facto monopoly and a captive consumer base. To which they said "No, thank you. Shittons of money for doing essentially loving nothing isn't enough. Being a platform as a service isn't sufficiently parasitic enough for my tastes, since it could potentially misconstrued as actually providing something. I'm hoping to engage in some serious rent-seeking behavior."

Here is the Button Shy campaign for those interested. If I'd have known this was happening I might have gone in on it but I just ordered a few games from them directly.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

I mean, there is only so bad I can feel, considering Sandy is kinda like his second cousin Jordan: surprisingly fascist, even for the internet.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

cyberia posted:

You could even buy a poker table or pool table with a topper if you were desperate.

https://www.gametoppersllc.com/ apparently ships to Australia. It's basically a portable gaming table with no legs. I have never seen one in real life, but lots of media personalities like and/or are sponsored by them. Even the smallest is twice as much as this thing in USD at least. But all gaming tables are essentially luxury goods, so I guess that's too be expected.

For Aus options, Google says:

https://www.gameway.com.au/
https://thetableflippers.com.au/
https://www.montyhaul.com/

As a horrible yankie :911: I've never heard of these before so caveat emptor.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Randomed across this one on BGG: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/solisgamestudio/spacelion 63 hours left and looking a bit shy of funding.

There's a how to play video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciIiK4El_Fg It looks kinda like version of Air, Land and Sea puffed out to allow for multiplayer with asymmetric player powers.

I'm not supporting Kickstarters right now, but this person apparently supported Worldbreakers, so they clearly have good taste. Looks like a small company, no bullshit. This is what crowdfunding was for: not an elaborate pre-order storefront or ponzi-scheme-as-a-service platform. Just letting people do something when they probably couldn't otherwise.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

quote:

I built my career as an entrepreneur simply by listening to the people the product was for. My time at Kickstarter will be no different.

Here's hoping he listens to all those people who said KS should immediately abandon crypto bullshit projects.

VVV Oops. Fixed pronoun. Guess I shoulda loving figured.

Magnetic North fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Sep 30, 2022

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Thanlis in the TG Industry Thread posted:

Normal turnover. Aziz Hasan left in March and they’ve been looking for the permanent replacement ever since, so this is just the end of that process.

New guy probably doesn’t hate NFTs, though: https://nft.artsy.net/
Welp. Continue to gently caress Kickstarter with a rusty bayonet.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

God drat that game looks like such a mindfuck. I like a boring-rear end beige farming game as much as the next goon, but I do wish more games were more adventurous with their themes and presentation. Though to be fair I think the shock success of things like Wingspan has been working to rattle that cage a little, even if the primary lesson people have taken from it is G̸͍̋a̵̺͝ṃ̸́ê̶̫ ̶̺̆P̵̱̏r̵͖̾e̵̠͛t̷̀ͅt̵͠ͅy̵̳̽, which is fair enough.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Liquid Communism posted:

So still full steam ahead on blockchain bullshit, just trying to silo it off outside of KS organizationally in response to massive user pushback.

I've been waiting to hear something about if we could expect a change, and finally that appears to quite concretely put KS into the "gently caress these guys" bin.

Considering they how bad they are at communicating, it might be morally necessary for users to leave the platform before that happens. Of course, they are so massively dysfunctional that I would not be surprised if they never actually implement anything and just took a shitload of bad press for no reason, so it's hard to genuinely scold anyone who stays on the platform so long as they recognize that.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

The Eyes Have It posted:

Voyage of the B.S.M. Pandora

I did not read this title correctly.

:pervert:

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Even though it was "successful" they say they're not going to even break even if they went to production and will refund everyone.

:negative:

Was this due to recent price changes / shipping costs? Or did they just set their goal super low to try to game the system because funded projects get more love than unfunded projects?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Infinitum posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/loneshark/lords-of-vegas-americana/description

Lords of Vegas reprint is up... but gently caress you for not having a $1 option and double gently caress you for having the loving campaign finish a day before Christmas.

It's one of a handful of games I would really like to have in my collection, but maybe gently caress you if you don't do late pledges.

And they did have a $1 pledge last time the last time they brought Lords of Vegas around in April 2020. They have removed a useful feature from their own campaign after KS made the $1 pledge more necessary due to their moneyboner for crypto bullshit.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

It's a shame for the people employed by them, but also it sounds like probably gently caress that guy. About a year since that controversy kicked off.
Weird how all these objectivist capitalistic sexist fucks elect to engage in the free market by rationally allowing their businesses to fail. :thunk:

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

:discourse:

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Bodanarko posted:

Meanwhile redditors continue to be the absolute worst people on the face of the earth and cannot accept that the company made a single mistake in how they handled the situation.

Obviously, the person/corp who makes a cool thing that one likes cannot possibly be uncool for unrelated reasons.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

CitizenKeen posted:

Didn't Cobble & Fog come out after Battle of Legends 2?

Cobble and Fog was 2020. Battle of Legends 2 was 2021.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

That Italian Guy posted:

It's time for reimplementations I guess: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/direwolfdigital/clank-legacy-2-acquisitions-incorporated-darkest-magic

What's the thread consensus on Clank: Legacy?

You need to like Clank. If you didn't like the original, it's not going to convince you. My group does like Clank, though less so than Dominion; it's our favorite deckbuilding also-ran.

We had a good time. The narrative is slightly less satisfying but also at times feels more open-ended compared to Pandemic Legacy 1 and 2. We found its brand of humor genuinely funny and I don't recall many (if any) mechanical twists that were not well received.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Gumdrop Larry posted:

They released a statement essentially saying 1) We have made a perfect, immaculately designed game with no room for further iteration, improvement, or updates and at the same time 2) The player base has ruined the experience by going too hard and taking it too seriously. Definitely do not think too hard about this contradiction and instead please realize the only option is to kill the game dead on the spot.

They clearly desperately needed to absolve themselves of the game entirely, obviously for financial reasons, but clearly somewhere an ego or two got in the way and wouldn't let them outright say such a thing.

I had remembered the controversy about them this at the time, because to be honest Guildball always perplexed me. Looking around, I believe I found the contentious statements, reposted here:

Steamforged posted:

Guild Ball became the type of game where you win your first game (demo) and then lose the next 100 games. When matched against a lesser skilled or inexperienced opponent, a better player would simply win the vast majority of games.

As the competitive scene began to dominate, the design space for wilder, more ‘fun’ elements began to shrink. New minis were either ‘OP’ or ‘trash-tier’ the second they were announced. Why take a new model when model XYZ already filled the role?

The style of gameplay changed to low-risk, ultra-conservative play where the ball was often deliberately side-lined.

This wasn’t the Guild Ball we envisaged.

Yeah, that sounds exactly like blaming the players instead of trying to fix the game. That is some serious "shitlist" territory but people keep lining up for their crowdfunding campaigns.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

I think it's good that someone like Efka is at least trying to bring a higher-minded perspective into the board game world. Back in the day, you'd only get it by getting blindsided with a social issue at the end of the SUSD Istanbul review. I recall his Colonialism and Sleeping Gods videos being good, the others slightly less so. I disagree this is somehow a net regression: There are still huge headwinds in the gaming world to try and silence these types of voices and I think the art of board games or board game reviews can only be improved by the attempt to take them seriously, but that also doesn't mean we have to grade on a curve. Efka is an rear end in a top hat and probably not quite as smart as he hopes/needs to be (though I don't get the feeling it's about ego, others might disagree), but NPI is still one of the better projects in the space by a long way.

I enjoyed the two interviews I heard on their revamped podcast Talk Cardboard with Paul Dean (formerly of SUSD) and Jesse Earl (of the YouTube channel Jesse Gender who is the pro-est of proclicks if you're living under a rock and don't know who she is).

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

It'd be great if KS had a policy of terminating relationships with users who attempt to disingenuously game the system like that, but obviously a heartly lol at the idea of them ever doing anything to improve the user experience.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

JazzFlight posted:

Hopefully they’re not using AI art in this game.

FWIW, Backerkit has a policy against AI (https://www.backerkit.com/blog/backerkit-ai-policy/) but it doesn't appear Awakened Realms / Gamefound are on board just yet, if they ever would be.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

I haven't seen this form of precampaign marketing before, at least on this platform: You can play the upcoming Altered TCG on Board Game Arena for a limited time before the campaign. https://boardgamearena.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=34671

This is a bit different than I've seen because BGA is not like Tabletopia or Tabletop Simulator. It has full rules enforcement so this was more than plopping some assets in there. However, this demo is time-limited to the first few days of the campaign? Will it be back? Who knows?

I did not try it yet because they did not bother to make a tutorial for this very time limited engagement, which I think is a big mistake for discoverability. The game was talked about on BGG a while back and I thought it looked like bland butt, but this is a new and innovative way to market that bland butt to so many dry eyes, so I thought I'd share.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Jedit posted:

I can see it being Awaken Realms also, though. Sandy mentioned "new realms to conquer" and that's exactly the type of veiled reference he likes to slip in.

I concur. Cthulhu Wars is the type of game AR would enjoy getting their grubby little piss-stained AI-mangled hands on.