Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Ankh does have a $50 God expansion option and the models look way better than the base ones but after reading the last few pages I'll probably pass on that and Wolfenstein.

I did end up investing a bit in Etherfields, please tell me that will be fine....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Vidmaster posted:

Awaken Realms seems to have a pretty consistent track record. I think Nemesis is done with all their language editions fulfillment and Tainted Grail wave 2 is out soon-ish, plus the new Nemesis kickstarter is launching soon. I'm sure Etherfields will be somewhat delayed due to the pandemic, but from their latest KS updates it seems like production should be starting by the end of the month on a lot of the components.

Phew, this is my first KS. Actually I'm pretty interested in Nemesis as well, i'll probably get that. Just don't wanna go too crazy with too many different games...

malkav11 posted:

Etherfields does feel like their riskiest project simply because there's so much mystery box to it, but I've been really impressed with everything they've done so far and the preview stuff for it has been cool so I'm not super worried.

Honestly as long as I get the models I'll be happy because they look incredible so far. I got the creatures pack, thorn night and 5th player and am considering the alternate heroes pack as well. Did anyone else buy any addons? any others that I should really consider?

The Moon Monster posted:

Assuming that it actually hits retail and CMON doesn't implode I might pick that expansion up just for the god models.

Yeah I'd probably do the same, that expansion is the one thing making me want to back. I mean I won't but it's tempting. It must be so easy to spend a lot of money of these projects.

CODChimera fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Apr 28, 2020

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Quixotic1 posted:

So what's everyone's thoughts on Anhk? I think I might pass,as it's just seems to be complexity for its own sake as Lang's trilogy has gone on.

I'll probably pass as well. It does look cool and some of the models are great but the price gets pretty steep if you get the expansions as well.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Anyone brought into this? https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fellowshipgames/vampires-egyptians-and-necromancers-for-fantasy-football/description

It's on the last 24 hours and I can't decide. So many cool minis like the scarab coach assistant, in fact I mostly just want the add on models but then they won't ship until next year and who the gently caress knows if i'll want them then.

e. also I got that fantasy series one because it seemed like an insanely good deal even if you don't want half the stuff

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Whoever laughed at me when I said i'd only follow a couple of projects was completely right. At least I held out for a couple of weeks?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/detestablegames/dodos-riding-dinos/description This could be a good family/casual game. The models look really fun to paint as well

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

The Gate posted:

Does anyone have any strong opinions about Mythic Games? They've got a Norse-themed survival horror kinda boardgame up on Kickstarter currently, and I'm tempted to get it for the minis alone. Seems like they've shipped other games, but a quick Google search isn't finding me anything that's standout for them one way or another.

I've been following that fairly closely and there have been some concerns in the comments about rules and translation issues. Still, think I'll get it though. Has heaps of cool minis and worst case scenario I'll just read through the story stuff and paint the minis and get my money's worth from that alone.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

silvergoose posted:

What else are we gonna talk about?

Fun and interesting stuff for me to waste money on

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Jihad Joe posted:

For those goons who are 3D printer inclined here's a cheeky entirely 3D printed miniatures game, Bloodfields.

Frankly I couldn't give a fiddler's pluck about the ruleset I love love the minis for this as per Kickstarter protocol.

For those interested they also have a Patreon with equally great minis.
Have you printed their stuff before? I'm pretty interested but wondering how they will actually look in real life...

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Jihad Joe posted:

Yeah, I've only had the printer a couple of months (photon s) so just about have it nailed down. The mantis is my second print and the dragonborn one of the most recent.

Frankly all I'm really doing is creating an exponentially lengthening painting queue.

Have some sketchy quality phone images!

Those look really good! But yeah that's actually a big concern of mine with getting a 3d printer, I'll end up with millions of unpainted things

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

drat, this thread is killing the hype. I missed out the first time so i'll probably buy it all, I just love the theme

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Anyone backing Sheol? https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lunaroakstudio/sheol-board-game/description

I kinda want to because it looks really cool but it's expensive and their first project and I have no idea what the failure rate is for successfully backed board games...

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I think maybe a lot of companies are using Kickstarter even though they don't need to is because KS seems (at least to me) to be a prime place for board game shopping now. Board games also seem to be one of the products with a proven track record, especially compared to video games or furniture or electronics. Even now, if I am board game shopping I will just hop onto KS to see what is coming up. So perhaps CMON doesn't need to use it, but there is a big market there, and I can't blame them for that, per say. Although I really dislike CMON and a lot of their practices.

I'm newish to KS but I pretty much check it daily now, and i've already brought things I wouldn't have known about or seen without KS.

Are there any big board game disaster campaigns? If anything happens to Awaken Realms I'll be out...a lot... but my attitude to KS is just that I might get some stuff at some point over the next few years

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

JazzFlight posted:

Cool minis, barely-there gameplay? It looks so boring, a 4x4 grid where they're just standing there one per tile on a desert field.

Also the best minis are the optional buys. Eh dunno, i'll follow it along but it does kind of feel like the bar for board games and minis is pretty high especially if you can't buy very many

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Infinitum posted:

Speaking of gorgeous, Avalon is up
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2012515236/quest-avalon-deluxe

Reworked art for Avalon+Coup

Is Avalon good? I love Coup but it's pretty much the only game in that style that i've played. Oh and Citadels I think?

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Infinitum posted:

Avalon is a better version of Coup.

What everybody else has said is pretty much my thoughts on it.
My one single complaint with it is that the box and artwork is a bit on the... lets say.. bargain basement clipart side of things

I was sold on it a couple of posts ago and was looking to see if it would be better to buy it immediately but yeah the new art looks tons better so I'll just KS it. Oh and Coup.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

That Old Tree posted:

The weirdest thing is that the name's almost certainly an "rear end joke" but everything else is played mostly straight.

Yeah I only skimmed it but that was really glaring and very confusing

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Are those gaming tables really worth it? it feels like you if you're spending that much on a table then you probably have a gaming room for a dedicated table so you don't need to eat dinner on it?

The magnet attachments would be useful though

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

The Nemesis Lockdown pledge manager is up and they have a bunch of new stuff but there's these box insert organizers that start at $60 and you need one for the stretch goals so for everything you'd need 4 which is like $275US

Is that insane or am I missing something here?

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

malkav11 posted:

It's insane.

I guess it probably has something to do with them being loaded with art, which inserts usually aren't. But still. Ridiculous. Thankfully, I'm hearing the default inserts that come in the box(es) are pretty good, and can vouch for the one in Tainted Grail being quite usable.

Thought so, just double checking. Kinda weird because AR seem reasonably priced from what i've seen.

There's also a Darkest Dungeons board game coming out sometime

rydiafan posted:

Dark Souls is a bad boardgame that was fulfilled terribly.

Steamforged also just axed their flagship miniatures game with no warning and then blamed the fan base for it.

Don't give Steamforged money.

Oh that's the guild ball company? That's a shame because they make some nice minis

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Did anyone get Planet Apocalypse? i'm kinda interested but like their last kickstarter it's not due until mid 2022?
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/petersengames/return-to-planet-apocalypse

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

This was awhile ago but thanks for the Planet Apocalypse info. In the end I ordered the base game off their site and will get one of the new expansions, mainly because of the free stuff. I think that was a good compromise from the hundreds you could spend.

Anyone following awaken realms and game found? Their next game, ISS Vanguard, will be on there instead of kickstarter. Game found as a pledge manager is by far the best one I've used.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

My main concern with the darkest dungeon board game is that it's probably going to be extremely expensive to get everything and I loved the pc version so I will want all the miniatures

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Feels like there are too many enemies when it doesn't even have all the hero classes...yet?

Also sucks that you can't just pledge $1 and wait to see how the shipping works out without missing out on stuff. I get why they do it but I've seen the shipping work out to be waaaaay more expensive than the estimates several times now

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

DLC Inc posted:

man that Darkest Dungeon game made me hesitate but after 5 seconds of "should I do it?" I came to my senses. No amount of premium miniatures will make up for the fact that this seems like one of those cases where a tabletop version of a game is a really bad idea. I literally can't see any reason to turn what's a perfect system already into a slower one with more superfluous rules attached, and with less progression than the original game.

I'm super undecided. I already backed HEL from these guys and at the very least i'm hoping it'll be an interesting story with some decent quality minis.

But with Darkest Dungeon it looks like there's way too many triggers and upkeep stuff. And yeah the minis look good but the 3d renders always do, and if they end up sucking i could potentially be burned twice from one company. Oh and there's already another $50 expansion that has 2 of the heroes...

Basically I just wish I could buy one of each mini

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

JazzFlight posted:

Yeah, the Darkest Dungeon KS... it's starting to creep up to that "$250 if you want everything / prob at least $300 by the campaign's end" mark. I dropped it. It was giving me "Dark Souls: The Board Game" vibes where I love the miniatures and artwork, but the game is just a clunky, poorly-thought out mess. It looked like a major pain if you were trying to solo it, too, with 4 characters and their boards/cards/tokens to manage.

They really should have cut half of the mechanics and tokens from the game.

I was reading the comments and supposedly people were pretty angry that heros were in the $50 expansions which I kinda understand.

I'll wait and see what the final result is but I'm leaning towards dropping it. I still haven't finished the video game anyway

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

rydiafan posted:

I did the all in pledge on Darkest Dungeon and now I want to die.

I am also fully aware that if I do not back it, or back anything but the all-in, I will also want to die because of FOMO.

Why not just get the base game and core stretch goals for $100? it's going to be well over a year away and the all in just seems like way too much of everything

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

malkav11 posted:

Because that isn't all the stuff.

I definitely am not backing Darkest Dungeon (I've played the PC game for like, 2 hours and the boardgame looks underwhelming, expensive AF, and like it's mainly focused on the minis I don't give a toss about), but I'm with rydiafan on this much: if I'm going to get a game, I'm going to get it all. Especially if any of it might be hard to come by later.

does it not depend on how much you're into the game? that's my point. like if you're not super into it why get all the extra poo poo? how do you even store and manage all of it lol

i'm mostly just trying to convince myself not to all in this. it's a waste of money and there will be an endless stream of kickstarters. don't do it!

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Tsilkani posted:

The problem with Darkest Dungeon is that it's Kickstarter only. If you buy some and turn out to like it, you don't have an option to buy it later. You either go all in now, or you get yourself a big bag of FOMO.

Now, I hate projects like this, and it does mean unless I really want all of it, I'm probably not going to buy any of it, because I hate having incomplete collections. But it's proven over and over to be an effective Kickstarter strategy.

True, that is a good point

My Etherfields arrived today, its honestly waaaaay better quality than I was expecting. It kinda feels like AR are just really good at this stuff? even their pledge manager is awesome. I don't have a ton of experience with this hobby though, i now own Etherfields & Planet Apocalypse, and i've only really played zombicide(lots of different versions), scythe and some other random games.

I am starting to get a bit concerned with the amount of stuff to paint though

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

After it become clear to me that it's an endless wave of games I now just back $1 and decide later based on what other kickstarters have shown up in that time and also shipping prices.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

Any further thoughts on Bardsung, now it's revealed a bit more over the campaign?

i've been following it, the minis look so good and it sounds interesting. hopefully something better comes along to replace it because right now i kinda want it...

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

and they are freely sharing these videos? that seems unwise

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

can we talk about ISS Vanguard here as well even though it's on GameFound? https://gamefound.com/projects/awaken-realms/iss-vanguard#/

looks good so far. it's quite a lot more for the miniatures pack and if you're not super into them then it might be a good idea to save some money and skip them as they probably won't have a ton of use

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

The Moon Monster posted:

Yeah, I didn't get the Tainted Grail minis but they don't seem like they'd add much to the experience. Even as a fan of minis I would reconsider getting the AR mini addons. I was looking forward to painting the handful that come with the TG core game, but the quality of the casts totally put me off the idea. Of all the big mini KS companies I've seen the final product of I think they might be the worst in the "gorgeous renders do not represent the quality of the actual product" department.

really? I don't know about the TG ones but the Etherfield ones are pretty good

i'll probably get the ISS Vanguard ones but will see closer to the time. I loved the EF theme but I already have both Nemesis games on the way with a ton of space aliens

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Can't you play Nemesis purely co-op if you want to?

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

i'll probably back Primal, means I can skip Bardsung and Darkest Dungeon. Never played a MH game on any platform but it looks fun

DD added a mat, gameplay upgrades and an alternate hero pack in the pledge manager. this trend of adding a bunch of stuff in the pledge manager is kinda annoying

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

Radlands is out from Roxley: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/roxley/radlands

Seems like a fine game, but I'm not sure if it's worth $40. Looks like it's a game that's built to be expanded on though, although honestly looking at the gameplay, it just reminds me that I really miss the WH40k Conquest LCG. gently caress that was a good game.
Those synth cards look interesting. Oh and it's by the dice throne team? I've been looking at getting that as well

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Infinitum posted:

Post pics of your Bloodborne stacks

yeah or Dice Throne.

or just anything. it's always interesting to see the final results

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

jadarx posted:

Bloodborne pile post with cat for scale

There is a second box behind the Chalice dungeon box in the lower right.

https://imgur.com/a/JyMKv7h

well no one was exaggerating that's for sure

storage really does seem like a legit issue with this hobby

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

StarkRavingMad posted:

I spent like $70 on a storage solution for one game.

It's a pretty good one, though

(edit) and that was the kickstarter price, it now goes for over $100

that's really cool. i don't know how that game works but i imagine it makes setup a lot easier which that alone is probably worth it

if i find a series i love with a ton of content i'd definitely consider getting something like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

Beasts of Balance is back on KS having being acquired by US company Modern Games from the UK-based Sensible Object. It's still just as expensive, if not more so, considering all the optional add-ons and whatnot.

is this good? it seems outrageously expensive even by board game standards. looks interesting though, i imagine kids would love it?