Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I ended up dropping my pledge for kind of a shallow reason... All the skill cards of a character or weapon have the same art, so all the Robo Samurai cards have the same art and all the Robo Katana cards have the same art as well. I find that kind of lame and uninspired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I have no idea. If they do fix it I'll re-pledge for sure though. I put a reminder in case that happens.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Ropes4u posted:

Anyone had an opportunity to look at Anachrony?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/438141406/anachrony

I'm in a group buy for it. It's by the makers of Trickerion, which I hear was good. But I'm having a few second thoughts, mostly because I'm really cutting it close with my budget.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

GrandpaPants posted:

March of the Ants: Minions of the Meadow is in its final 48 hours. This is really one very underrated gem of a game that scratches that 4x itch without having to sacrifice an entire day to it. I unfortunately haven't played Eclipse, which seems like the most apt comparison in terms of weight, but from what I understand, it's a much more streamlined experience than even that, but has more weight than something like, say, Quantum. The game lasts just long enough, and it's very rarely a blowout (if it is a blowout, you likely did a whole bunch of dumb moves that made you deserve it). One of my favorite aspects of the game is that unlike most games of its type, you're not spending the first 2-3 rounds doing poo poo all diddling because you want your last actions to go uncontested. In this game, as soon as two players pass, that's it, the round's over. It encourages people to move fast and with purpose, and like Kemet, aggression is rewarded with VPs (and territory, naturally). The combat is mostly deterministic, with the only element a single card that can be added to the known strength value represented by your ants + their evolutions, which gives it a sense of uncertainty without devolving into luck.

One potential flaw is that it absolutely requires everyone to pay attention to the game at all times since all actions have a reaction to it, but they're also mostly minor effects that nonetheless help the flow of the game. But if people check out and have to be reminded to take their reaction, gently caress them they're assholes anyway.

It's seriously one of my favorite Kickstarters and I always wondered why a game with good mechanics + novel theme didn't get that much widespread popularity. I'll assume a lack of minis and/or titties. On that note, here's the expansion to Xia, that lovely game where you can theoretically win by pure rules lawyering.

I agree, March of the Ants is awesome and I'll love to have more of it!

As for Xia, can you expand (:hurr:) on that? I thought it looks really cool...

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

golden bubble posted:

It's a game where almost everything is random. Roll to succeed, roll to move, etc. That would be fine for a short 30 min trading exploration game. But Xia admits this it can take up to three hours per game on the box.

And there's no good way to compensate for bad luck? That's too bad, they said they were inspired by Escape Velocity ... Oh well, thanks for warning me before I spent a hundred+ on it.. looks like I still have room for a big KS.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Man, I'm really in the mood for a 'you captain a space ship, do space stuff' game, but I'm also crazy and hope to get one through KS. Now there's a game called Nova Cry that's more abstract and more Star Trek than Escape Velocity, but it seems to have dice-based combat and also they seem to have cheaped out on alien crew art (ie they all have the same generic 'look at all these aliens!' line up art). Oh well, either I wait for something new to come along or I suppose I can always do the sensible thing and buy one of the tried-and-tested known-good space ship games.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Hauki posted:

Oh hey, the last 25% of my click clack lumberjack finally shipped after only 9 months of delays, stubborn lack of communication and reused components from the previous game.

You'd think for a game that was literally already published minus minor rules changes and given that they apparently still had components sitting around a warehouse from that publication they were planning on reusing, it would've been a little smoother.

Figured it was Mayday. I backed Viceroy, and am now waiting for a replacement for the replacement of the box, because they're rather ship multiple times than pack the boxes in a good way.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm at a loss for words.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Their first social goal is 1000 shares and their first stretch goal is 75k (more than twice the funding amount) for a $25 game. They're expecting a lot of backers.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It seems like it turned into a superheroes comic at some point. I thought after the big reset he moved to having those video game players killing each other and playing D&D.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Maybe, on the other hand the first campaign was for Dr. McNinja, and the second for Girl Genius & Gunnerkrig Court. I don't read them, but know at least the doctor and Gunnerkrig have a huge fanbase.

Depends on whether they like the game for the mechanics or the theme I guess.

e: really I can't be surprised by anything after all those kittens exploded

Zanzibar Ham fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jun 2, 2016

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm interested in it, but unfortunately it just doesn't grab me enough for the cost. I'd rather save so maybe I'll have a bigger KS budget when something really exciting comes along. Although with my luck I'll find out it's another dud (though maybe again before the campaign ends so I can back out at least).

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
So there's this new KS for a semi-co op game called HOPE. In it you're trying to save existence by spreading life across the universe. The game has a kinda mind-bending map based on a very popular optical illusion thing.

But anyway, their fund goal is $25k, which is supposed to be enough to make a barebones game using abstract wooden pieces. However, they had really cool designed pieces they wanted to put as stretch goals, but they showed them off extensively. Enough that apparently many people thought those pieces are part of the game as it is. So they were forced to unlock a few stretch goals early to compensate.

I'm kinda worried about the viability of the campaign now, at least if it doesn't fund enough beyond the basic goal.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

jmzero posted:

Looks fiddly and gimmicky, but where I really stopped paying attention was "meta-coop". Apparently they've combined "maybe there's a traitor" with "co-op, but one person 'really' wins too". Either of these is really hard to do and usually end up sucking, doing both seems like they're just trying to tick too many boxes.

In terms of campaign, this seems like a potential disaster if they just limp in. Random holofoil cards and metal medals, 100 little plastic dudes, cards and tokens out the wazoo - if it works out they have to make 300 copies for $25k, I think they could end up way short.

Nah, you don't have to play with the traitor and you can play tougher versions of the game and not have the 'one person really wins' thing, but yeah, there's a big problem with their financing now.

e:

GrandpaPants posted:

That's definitely something I want to spend hours staring at.

Worked for q-bert \/:v:\/

Zanzibar Ham fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jun 10, 2016

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
This cosmic Planetarium game looks fantastic, but it's a Game Salute project. :( I backed it, but I've already said I've little sense. There's still a chance something else that looks so cool and isn't published by a company that's burned lots of people comes by and then I'll jump ship.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

boom boom boom posted:

Canada is in second place, so they'll probably do that too, if you'd prefer

Canadian maids serve alcohol while skiing & freezing to death? They're pretty badass.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

GrandpaPants posted:

The Millennium Blades reprint Kickstarter is up. There are no edition changes, even though a few cards do need some errata, and there are a couple mini expansions for people who already have stuff. The game is really, really fun and is apparently sold out, so this at least guarantees you a copy.

Some/all? fixed cards will be included in the Rotation Set expansion.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned 'GIGA-ROBO!' already, even if just to tear into it for not simulating a giant anime robot fight well enough (if that's actually the case).

Or maybe someone did mention it and I'm actually legally blind.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I really want Giga-Robo and had an earlybird for a long while, but my computer is old and dying so I'm going to have to take a break from KS to save money for a new one. Or at least try to take a break anywho.

e: it really sucks because I just love the design on that Ayzn robot

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
And now Giga-Robo will have unique art on all the cards. I really wish I could afford this. Glad for them it's got all the important (IMO) stuff in.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Roots of Mali just barely made their funding today, with Fr 25,193 of Fr 25,000 ($25,622 of $25,426).

It looks interesting enough, but I've got a whole bunch of 2p games I barely get to play already. :shrug:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

I was really interested in this when I first heard about it many months ago, but there's just no way I'll be able to afford it.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The character concepts are dumb to the level of satire, especially the first one. I had to go look at the project page to make sure they're real.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, that was what kept me from getting AtS so I'm highly interested in this game (also I lack a farming game, a grave sin). However DMG (the Valeria people) are supposed to put out a new Kickstarter today which might pique my interest, and I probably can't afford both.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
That game from the Valeria guys turned out to not be my cup of tea from the sounds of it, so I'm still in with the farm drafter for now. But there's still almost a month for something really interesting (yet also affordable) to show up.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
How much money do you need to pay to have Maran Gor in the game?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Josef bugman posted:

Think she might be the behemoth in the empires expansion?

It's kinda hard to say... Would she be a giant dinosaur? There's a few Behemoths in the lore. On the other hand it's the Earth faction so it'd make sense.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I thought projects made shipping EU friendly by teaming up with a European importer to concentrate and lower the VAT costs so it ends up cheaper for Europeans. Are you telling me that each EU friendly project has actually had to eat all the VAT instead?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Okay, so if the games weren't produced in Europe then at some stage VAT had to be paid?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Jedit posted:

No, wherever the games were produced then at some stage the local sales tax was paid by you. What changes is whether the game was being sold at a price with that in mind.

Example: UK VAT is 20%. If the pledge level is $300 inclusive of taxes, everyone pays $300 but the actual cost to UK backers is $250 and the remainder is VAT. If it is exclusive of taxes, the UK backer will pay an additional $60 and backers in other regions will pay whatever their local sales tax may be.

Aha, so EU-friendly means either all the non-EU backers paid for it or the project makers did? That really sucks... I wish there were solutions to all the global shipping woes we have.

e: I'd say 'Globalization Now' but obviously it's much more complex than just cheaper shipping prices

Zanzibar Ham fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Aug 17, 2016

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
But how did it get to the EU in the first place if it wasn't produced there? At some point it was shipped to the EU, wasn't it?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Okay. So basically the problem isn't actually import fees, but the fact they add VAT to anything that's worth around 20+ bucks (I remember some value close to that being the Magic Number Europeans mention)? I guess I'm lucky I don't have to pay VAT as long as what I ship is worth below $75, on the other hand I generally pay more for shipping.

e: by the way thanks for the patience, I've been suffering from tiredness for a long time now and it certainly doesn't help me comprehend things

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The law in my country specifically says I don't need to pay VAT for any shipment I take that's valued at below $75, except for some specific products like tobacco and alcohol. And as long as it's below some $500 or so then there's no customs fee, though there is VAT.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

I hope someone shops the hand figure to give you the finger before the campaign is over.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Not much better here, we've got it at about 17-18% IIRC.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
My country is regressive in a lot of ways unfortunately. :(

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
You can probably roleplay as eating all the scones you want in that one goon project on KS with the ye olde English folk.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
That's probably my fault... I forgot to tell the Bitcoin Embassy that actually exists 5 minutes away from me about this project so they can fund it with their cryptofortunes.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Welp, ended up cancelling my pledge for Fields of Green. Instead I'm trying this weird thing where I order games from a store. To still keep it sort of like a KS I did a preorder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Just got my copy of Roll Player, and it looks really nifty!

Also a bag of 73 hefty dice has a nice feel to it. :rolldice: