Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Hey, I wanted to raise awareness for a boardgame kickstarter from a local developer, True Messiah. This is the second and last attempt to Kickstart it, after the first one only raised about half the goal, and he's basically funding at a considerable financial loss at the current goal just because he wants to get it published.

True Messiah is a 1v1 or 2v2 abstract with a blind-bid card drafting mechanic. The concept is a post-apocalyptic world caused by the invention of an engine that channels collective belief into reality. Sadly, someone left the dial at 11 when they turned it on and a whole world's worth of :matters: basically destroys society overnight. Out of the ashes rises four cults, each lead by a titular messiah who can tap into the Belief Engine to harvest their flock's faith to create "miracles." Players control each cult as they compete to determine the one true representative of God on earth. Basically, you're Mad Max Jesus.

You can see the rules and some videos on the KS, but the core of the gameplay is moving your Messiah and militant cultists around the grid as they build temples, recruit followers, and rumble with the other cults. Combat is interesting because you can only attack a single target, but multiple targets can engage one target, so you're incentivized to "flank" targets by positioning your units on multiple sides while the beefiest unit takes the retaliatory blow. Alternatively, you can set your cultists to praying, which gives you the faith currency to play miracle cards that can affect the board and units. Cultists can even start praying on another player's turn so you can cast instant reactionary miracles. At the end of every turn, new miracle cards are placed on the market where you can blind bid for them using gold. A player loses either when their Messiah loses too much health or they're so starved of faith that they can't maintain a full miracle hand.

Do other games do similar things better? Probably, but I had the chance to observe the developer showcasing it at a con in 2016 and it looked pretty solid, and the artwork on the miracle cards and overall aesthetic are really slick and distinct. If you like the theme and want to support Chicago indie boardgame developers, give it a look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

jmzero posted:

I like a lot of things about this game. I like picking cards and player asymmetry. I like that it sidesteps politics by avoiding free for all.

On the other side, the grim-dark theme is a turn off, the card-text templating seems loose and wordy, and the rules link goes to a 404 page.

Sorry about the rules, you may be able to get them off his website, where I found them. I respect that the theme isn't for you. My impression from meeting him is that it's pretty much just him and his wife, which may explain any amateurish formatting issues.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Kaza42 posted:

Superspeed is super hard to balance. I can't think of a single computer game where it's not either useless or OP

In the comics Flash is basically a demigod because there's so much crap you can pseudoscience super speed into allowing you to do. In the hands of the wrong player or DM for like a PnP RPG it'd be insufferable.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

True Messiah rulebook's back up if anyone wants to give it a read.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I think there was some type of fight over slavery, I don't know, I'm no historian. I like to think we worked it out amicably.

*rolls Confederate*

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I'm stoked, glad they got all the tiers in the last hours.

Bombadilillo posted:

Edge of darkness thoughts? My reminder warning is here.

I've heard/read that the custom card drafting is slick and interesting but the design is very overwrought for the kind of game it is, especially with all the backer stuff. Hard to tell and way too expensive for me in any case. Sure looks cool.

E: Shut Up and Sit Down had a segment on it where after a play test one of them was very excited while another was unimpressed. Might be worth looking up.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Mar 21, 2018

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Street Fighter game looks slick also seems to be a prettier, better branded Yashima which I already own. Unless I'm missing something?

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Guy Goodbody posted:

It's probably not gonna be as good as the first Street Fighter board game

I'm not sure which is better: the potential to suplex a chump through a building as kaiju Zangief or the riveting plot to prevent M. Bison's evil scheme to capture and hold the local high school.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

You guess correctly.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

True Messiah is coming up on its last 48 hours, so I'm going to bat for it one last time. It's an abstract with card drafting mechanics themed around post apocalyptic cults duking it out while your messiah influences the flow through miracles. Give it a look if you're interested, since it's still got about $6k to go.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Polish your skulls and bolt down your scalp, the Trenchcoat Troops are in town.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

i love the lil babby mag on the handguard of marias gun :kimchi:

I love Andrei's engraved feedbag. The grimmest of oats for the inquisitor on the go.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Stormgale posted:

Sorry if this has been posted before but does anyone have any insight on

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1426761469/true-messiah-a-game-of-post-apocalyptic-cult-warfa?ref=7whd8d

It looks kind of neat.

I've been pushing for it previously. The maker hasn't been doing the greatest job managing his campaign, probably due to KS inexperience, but the game itself looks very solid with an interesting theme. It's in its final hours and is pretty close to funding, and he's said he won't be trying again, so this is probably the last chance to get in on it.

I met him personally at a convention and took a look at the game and was impressed. Here's my effort post on it from earlier:

E: he restarted the campaign at a lower funding goal, hence the canceled link in my old post.

FunkMonkey posted:

Hey, I wanted to raise awareness for a boardgame kickstarter from a local developer, True Messiah. This is the second and last attempt to Kickstart it, after the first one only raised about half the goal, and he's basically funding at a considerable financial loss at the current goal just because he wants to get it published.

True Messiah is a 1v1 or 2v2 abstract with a blind-bid card drafting mechanic. The concept is a post-apocalyptic world caused by the invention of an engine that channels collective belief into reality. Sadly, someone left the dial at 11 when they turned it on and a whole world's worth of :matters: basically destroys society overnight. Out of the ashes rises four cults, each lead by a titular messiah who can tap into the Belief Engine to harvest their flock's faith to create "miracles." Players control each cult as they compete to determine the one true representative of God on earth. Basically, you're Mad Max Jesus.

You can see the rules and some videos on the KS, but the core of the gameplay is moving your Messiah and militant cultists around the grid as they build temples, recruit followers, and rumble with the other cults. Combat is interesting because you can only attack a single target, but multiple targets can engage one target, so you're incentivized to "flank" targets by positioning your units on multiple sides while the beefiest unit takes the retaliatory blow. Alternatively, you can set your cultists to praying, which gives you the faith currency to play miracle cards that can affect the board and units. Cultists can even start praying on another player's turn so you can cast instant reactionary miracles. At the end of every turn, new miracle cards are placed on the market where you can blind bid for them using gold. A player loses either when their Messiah loses too much health or they're so starved of faith that they can't maintain a full miracle hand.

Do other games do similar things better? Probably, but I had the chance to observe the developer showcasing it at a con in 2016 and it looked pretty solid, and the artwork on the miracle cards and overall aesthetic are really slick and distinct. If you like the theme and want to support Chicago indie boardgame developers, give it a look.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Also worth mentioning that he folded the first two stretch goals into the basic funding, for what that's worth.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

rydiafan posted:

Ok fine, I backed the drat thing.

I am always annoyed, however, when specific cards are stretch goals. Miniatures I can understand, because they're expensive and you want to make sure you have the funding before you invest in something like that, but an action card is probably already part of the game balance of the game as designed, and withholding it has to alter the quality.

I think that with the exception of the seraph they're all power-tweaked versions of existing cards in the main set, but yeah I see where you're coming from. Kind of moot because I really don't see him hitting any of those goals. People just want to fund it.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

It funded by the way. Kudos to goons who pledged in.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Apr 13, 2018

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

I’m still on the fence, that non-US shipping is insane.

It is, that's been the most consistent complaint to him.

Also note (since he only mentioned this in a backer update) there's no pledge manager planned, so no increasing your tier after the deadline. Like I said, not the most well managed campaign.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Not really.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

Tragedy seems to follow this man like a thing that follows a man very closely.

A wedgie.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Loomer posted:

32mm. My interest withered and died right there.

I wish I could say I disagreed. It's not completely fair but all the same seeing it first thing on any campaign page will always put me on the back foot these days.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Actually it was quite common in a place I made up during a time that sounds plausible that warriors traditionally self-groped before battle, so that when enemies accidentally groped then in a grand melee, they were so accustomed to it that they could continue fighting without distraction.

This is what facts must be like!

Lol at the thought of some chaotic battlefield scrimmage going on and some viking rearing back. "WOAH hands above the belt, superfreak!"

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Look if you can expect anyone to do a proper job of managing the tracks it's Lovecraftian Sailor Moon.

Doesn't change the fact that this is clearly a case of the character namer falling asleep on their keyboard and the designers just rolling with it.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 06:00 on May 23, 2018

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Doubleposting, but this is too good not to link

Dragonball, the legend of the saiyans

loving lol, €75k funding goal. Reach for the stars my dude.

Really want the incoming "images" to just be screenshots of the show or posed action figures.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jun 19, 2018

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Mors Rattus posted:

Goku head butted her, then the priest.

https://youtu.be/jpMUx7y-Ano

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Looks like the Nemo's War reprint is shipping out two months ahead of schedule, which is pretty awesome.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Escape from the Dark Castle seems like a kind of neat light beer and pretzels RPG that I could play with family and friends less into tabletop stuff, and is coming up on its final week. Has anyone picked up the game from its first KS and can give their impressions?

Mors Rattus posted:

huge fan of the crusades, me

i collect them and sort them by atrocity

albigensian? oh man good choice, good choice, i love the slaughter of defenseless French pacifists

livonian, now, that's a good one

but I mean, the real key to the movement, the crescendo? gotta be children's

big fan of the children's crusade

third? *sucks teeth* nah you don't want third

Serendipitously, I just started listening to Thomas Asbridge's history of the Crusades on Audible when this came up. It's a very interesting insight into the groundwork of a lot of the issues in the region, but the actual events have been consistently cringeworthy and I don't know how you could possibly romanticize it without distorting it heavily. Pretty horrific stuff all around.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

glitchkrieg posted:

I asked almost that exact on the previous page, and a few replies seemed to suggest it's not ideal.

Thanks, sorry to tread old ground. It's definitely looked bare bones from a mechanical standpoint, but the aesthetic is appealing and I'm deliberately looking for something easily accessible. I'll have to chew it over.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

In conclusion, the extreme right is a group of contrasts.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Just lol if you wouldn't pay $150 to be able to mount this atop your Kallax and face it toward the wall to look upon his cosmic, unknowable thiccness.

Dude can grip a toilet seat like a mother fucker.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I just use one of those heavy duty reusable grocery bags you can get from most stores for like $3. They're great and can hold 3-4 normal sized games.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

No pug, ultra weak.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Guy Goodbody posted:

I hope that's successful, and they do a second series of sci-fi dogs

In the Grimbark world of the 41st millennium....

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Jedit posted:

What happens then, do the Antedildovians rise up and consume everyone with the power of ten thousand years?

The pride parade to end all pride parades.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Kai Tave posted:

Update on FreeLogoServices of War: the dream is dead.

Well that was quick.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Zurui posted:

"Bullshit legal reasons" meaning I printed my stuff in Jina and now some random Alibaba vendor owns the rights to everything

I'm pretty sure his "legal reasons" were that his miniatures were pretty obviously designed in Hero Forge and he couldn't pass the results off as his own. Then again who knows.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Ride that dream straight into oblivion, my son, whooping and waving a cowboy hat the whole way down.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

If you missed it the first time around (like me), Bargain Quest is returning to KS for a second printing + expansion on August 6th.

Great news since I totally missed it the first time around and have heard really good things about it.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Jedit posted:

$40 for a game and $20 for an expansion is pricey? You're looking for a lot of a bargain.

Ironically, according to the comments it's actually more expensive in sum to have backed for all the new stuff only after getting the game in the first printing, compared to getting the whole package now.

Game looks fun as heck for a more casual experience so I'm all in.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I approve of Roman centurion fire man and hope he wins all of the fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

:3:

I actually had a really bad day at work before opening this, so thanks for sending me one particularly apropos.