Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Since the project has been funded, I'd like to point out that Red Markets does have its own dedicated thread now.

paradoxGentleman posted:

While we are on the subject, there was talk of zombie media being co-opted by so-called libertarians: what is that all about? I know that certain conservative gun nuts are all over them because they justify their firearm collection and allow them to shoot at people who are different than them with impunity, but not that one.

A zombie apocalypse posits a situation where the government has been drowned in a bathtub (by zombies) and rugged individualism (read: libertarians) rule the day. There's a heavy intersect (insofar as libertarians and conservatives are themselves heavily intertwined in US politics) between what you said about it being a prime opportunity for conservative gun nuts to fantasize about shooting people different from them - the leap to libertarianism is when the collapse of society allows these same gun nuts to also exert economic coercion on the humans that are left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The recent updates to the Red Markets kickstarter have elaborated more about the mechanics of the game:

The character sheet and what the various stats are and mean

The red-and-black d10 dice mechanic

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
John Wick more like John Woke amirite?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Having listened to the Red Markets author talk through his process of shaping his own Kickstarter, it's my understanding that option #1 would only really work if you can guarantee that you can sell enough of your product to justify the up-front cost of having it bulk-printed.

You might be able to swing it if you also use KS as a "pre-order guarantor" - that funding the KS means you have enough money to pay for the bulk-printing AND you have enough customers that you won't be stuck with a warehouse-load of unbought product, but I got the impression that that would be expensive enough that your KS goal would have to be in the high-five-digit range.

Print-On-Demand avoids all that, but, as you said, it's more expensive for the customers because economy-of-scale never comes into play.

What Red Markets ended up doing was to have their print books be POD, with the promise of shifting to a bulk print model (with the corresponding price savings for the customer) as a stretch goal.

This is just third-hand knowledge from listening to a podcast, so take it with a huge grain of salt, I guess.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

clockworkjoe posted:

Speaking of offset print runs, Red Markets has revealed that the 48k and 52k stretch goals will make the book an offset print run and in full color, respectively: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/159466030/red-markets/posts/1591565

This update also has a preview section of what a full-color book would look like, and the section itself is the Combat rules chapter

quote:

1. Initiative

• The Market rolls one Red die for every PC involved in the combat. If the PCs are outnumbered, add another Red for every additional Market force
• Players roll one Black each and add their SPD
• Players declare from highest to lowest numbers, after their SPD is added. The Market uses Red dice from the pool to place Market forces in-between their numbers. This is called the initiative order. (For instance, the players rolled and the Market got a 10, 4, and 1. Bill goes frst with 11, Thug A goes next with a 10, Melanie got an 8, DeMarcus 7, Thug B goes at 4. The Market is out of forces, so the 1 is dropped and the initiative order established)

2. Declare, Spend, and Resolve

• The highest initiative player or Market force declares a tactic, buys a roll, and resolves the action.
• As the round continues, twitches and freebies are demanded by the actions of Market forces or used at the discretion of the player. Both twitches and freebies are unbound initiative order.

3. Deal Damage and Assess Penalties

• Damage is recorded directly after the tactic that caused it. Damage is always the Black. Hit location is always the Red. The diference between Kill and Stun damage is determined by the weapon used. The damage is unmodifed by extra spends unless the gear is specifcally upgraded.
• If using the Alternative Rule: Deadly Damage (p. XX), the Market rolls Black/Red to determine how much damage the PC takes rather than using the results of a failed twitch.
• Assess and implement any penalties as a result of health or Humanity loss.

4. Repeat

• After everyone has acted, the combat round ends. Twitches unspent by the end of the round are discarded (unless the character is specifcally using upgraded gear that allows them to be spent). The initiative order cycles back to the highest player and repeats until the confict ends.

Experienced RPG players can probably fgure out combat from the short list above. What follows is a more detailed description of each element in the combat round.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

moths posted:

He's just going to mail you the GURPS quickstart and a handful of bottlecaps.

Excuse me, it's GURPS Lite, thank you very much.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Evil Mastermind posted:

e: although really the mechanical side of things was completed a while ago because he sent it out to backers. And the setting stuff was written by someone else ages ago. We've been waiting on Chapter 9, which is the GMing advice chapter, for over 300 days now.

What the christ. I'm pretty sure I could write a chapter on GMing advice within 300 days if my life loving depended on it (which in a way kinda sorta does for GMS)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I was pleasantly surprised to see that 7th Sea 2nd Edition is already available on DTRPG.

I didn't back it, not my thing, but if I was a backer I'd be impressed as hell at the work ethic and professionalism reflected in that short turn-around time from funding to release.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Alien Rope Burn posted:

True story: I was at Origins, waiting for a friend, when I see John getting dinner at the local Vietnamese place. And while I see him, my phone updates with a notification for my DTRPG code.

Well played, Mr. Wick.

:vince: straight out of Play Dirty

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

I'm tentatively interested, but I'd have to check out the preview first. I already have Mutant Future so ...

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

unseenlibrarian posted:

I'm waiting to see if the dude has a big meltdown over how bad and evil Gamma World 7th was to go along with the burning 4E in effigy thing.

It looks like this is being written by not-Joseph Goodman, so I've backed at the PDF level and am hoping for the best.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
For those who backed Red Markets, the preview package has been released.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
^^^^^ Exactly right. Clothes wear out. Lipstick runs out. Food gets eaten. Dice not so much.

Jimbozig posted:

Who buys these subscription boxes?? I always hear ads on podcasts for Loot Crate and I think "does my house need MORE random plastic junk?" Uh, no. Not at all. I don't understand it in the slightest.

It's an extension of the marketing scheme that's caught on in recent years where you subscribe to a service and they send you things every month. The earliest incarnation I heard of it was cosmetics back in, I want to say 2013, but it's since branched out into all sorts of other things like clothing and even food.

RPGs are just bandwagoning onto a trend, but I don't think it's a good idea in this industry because if you're not licensed to produce things for the big names, you're either sending out very random assortments of junk (as you noticed), or there's really not a lot of stuff worth putting onto a box and shipping to people as far as "RPG related items" goes. Certainly not sustainable in the long term.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Kai Tave posted:

James Desborough for example, who among other things made the Gamergate game which got pulled from DTRPG, has a Patreon. Guess how much he gets a month from like minded supporters interested in supporting his bold and visionary style?

$53.

I was going through the OSR Google+ page last week, and someone was raising a new stink about DTRPG being too politically-correct again because apparently Desborough release a game called Hentacle that also summarily got pulled off their storefront.

Some people never learn, I guess.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Lightning Lord posted:

Was it Venger Satanis? I think he's the village idiot or mascot or something.
Yeah, that guy. His name always slips out of my brain because ... well, that's his name. He was also advocating for making a new DTRPG with hookers no censorship and blow no review policy.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The idea of a whole group chipping in to have a full set of game books would make a lot more sense if the deal was something like "get five corebooks so you don't have to keep passing the one book around", rather than "the game box is so expensive that you need to defray it by splitting the cost across the group"

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Kurieg posted:

I'm not sure how those d4's are supposed to be balanced to roll at all. And that's probably one of the more sane of those designs.

MadScientistWorking posted:

Are you supposed to spin them like a top?

I believe these are mostly intricate variations of barrel dice.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Can I just say that the Numenera marketing bullet-point of it being an easy system to create a character with is bullshit? "I am an [ADJECTIVE] [NOUN] who [VERB]s" isn't actually simple if each of those words carries with it half-a-dozen mechanical interactions that you have to look up and cross-reference with each other anyway.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I've told two of my playing groups now that I'd be happy to run Invisible Sun for them if they'd all chip in to buy it for me. No takers yet :(

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I actually bought an earlier version of Payoff Pitch Baseball. It's nice - it's like B-17 Queen of the Skies except with hotdogs and beer and an umpire.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Kai Tave posted:

Curiously enough the creators have yet to post any further updates or comments so I guess they must be busy with other stuff.

Something I noticed from successful Kickstarters, with Red Markets and Mutant Crawl Classics as recent ones I've backed, is that while you're running the KS, you're running the KS.

It's 30 days of plugging your product, answering questions, posting comments, going on interviews, writing updates, answering questions for those updates, and basically just marketing marketing marketing to get the word out, more more more.

Expecting to put up a KS and letting it fund itself is just lazy as poo poo. You're not even really supposed to be working on the product itself in the meantime if you're a one-man operation.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Evil Mastermind posted:

Happy Far Westiversary, everyone! :dance: :toot:

This had better be the best GM advice chapter in all literature.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

thelazyblank posted:

Has anyone thought of using the basic essence of Far West and make their own game? There was obviously some level of interest, and I don't think there's been a game with the same general setting out there. Plus, it will make Far West not coming out even more funny if someone basically makes the game before Far West comes out.

I think one of our goon regulars was planning to do a Far West before Far West comes out just to show up GMS.

That effort might have stopped? But then there's still plenty of time to catch up regardless.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Desiden posted:

Hmmm, that could make a fun "stretch goal" for not-Far West. "101 excuses for why the guy who hired the PCs doesn't have to pay them".

The TG industry thread was just talking about people who still make ... some dollars out of random lists of 100 things. That seems like a good idea as any.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

FRINGE posted:

At first I didnt give a poo poo, but Im getting more curious about Cooks black box thing. IS anyone actually getting it? (I cant afford to do that right now, but am wondering if anyone is getting the direct updates or anything interesting?)

No no pull up.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
That's what got me into TRPGs. I think I may have to bite the bullet on that.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

FRINGE posted:

edit- I MISREAD, these are individual pdfs for people that dont want the full set I guess?

It's my understanding that those are all PDFs of the original Dungeon Fantasy line for GURPS.

potatocubed posted:

For people still watching the Invisible Sun... event... Gnome Stew just posted an interview with Monte Cook where he spills a few details about gameplay mechanics. There are some interesting ideas in there, but not remotely $200 worth of interesting ideas.

Ross Payton of Roleplaying Public Radio also did an interview with Cook regarding Invisible Sun.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Sep 1, 2016

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

GaistHeidegger posted:

Not familiar with this, is there somewhere I could read it?

Greg Stolze was working for White Wolf, when he asked about the difference between raising the target number and requiring more successes. The response he got was that nobody knew and nobody cared, and he should just do "what feels right".

This indirectly lead to the creation of the One Roll Engine, because Stolze was musing about how he could make it so that those two actually were different, and it lead him down the path of making it so that successes were matched sets of dice, but the target number was whatever matched sets you got rather than an arbitrary value set by the GM, and that idea would eventually become ORE because analyzing the two axes of the dice rolls would give you more results/more information than just a single pass/fail axis.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Foglet posted:

Voyage of Fortune's Star, a 7th Sea video game, is live on Kickstarter.

I'll laugh if 7th Sea gets a transmedia empire before Far West does.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Lightning Lord posted:

I'm sure it's been discussed already but what do y'all think of Kaigaku, a game that appears to be an L5R clone with less doomed highborn manchildry?

My desire to play in an Oriental-themed setting outweighs my disdain for more Black Hack hackery. I'm in for the PDF level.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

LeSquide posted:

Do you dislike the Black Hack in particular?

Oh no, I backed that too and are otherwise very satisfied with it. It's everyone hacking everything into The [Noun] Hack that rubs me the wrong way.

Perhaps that was the point of making such a generic system, but it struck me as very bandwagonny.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Kwyndig posted:

I should make a samurai game where it's all Ronin as PCs, and NPC samurai.

edit for clarity: Like some big setting event before play begins has stripped all 'samurai' of their masters, and so you've got a bunch of dudes with swords and bows and horses running around the country, taking odd jobs, righting wrongs, or causing wrongs, etc.

That honestly sounds like a better set-up for gameplayability than most I've heard.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I still have 16 hours to possibly waste money on the Dungeon Fantasy kickstarter:

1. What level/deal do I back to get just all the PDFs?
2. How much is that going to cost me?

E: Nvm, they had instructions on how to do it.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Sep 30, 2016

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Cross-posting from the OSR thread:

LashLightning posted:

Frog God Games is kickstarting a third reprint of Swords & Wizardry, this time edited by ConTessa founder Stacy Dellorfano and the team she's picked. The rules aren't changing, but it looks a lot more pleasant to the eyes.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Combat in Panic at the Dojo is turn-based and symmetrical - the Heroes get one turn, then the Enemies get one turn, and repeat on down the line until each Hero and each Enemy has had a turn, then start back from the top.

There isn't an initiative order - when a Hero turn comes up, any Hero can take it! But you only get one turn per round - if you go first, you're not going again until everyone else has had a go.
Man, this makes me really excited for this game.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Sigma-X posted:

People use, and care about people who use, Google+?

What kind of dystopian hellscape are we living in here, exactly?

There's a certain subset of TG people who use Google+. The way G+ is programmed makes it easy to form insular communities, though I'm not sure if the TG folks specifically sought out G+ for that reason or that was just a happy coincidence.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

MrFlibble posted:

I find it distasteful to say someone is bad for buying a product that harms no one.

You've really yet to prove this.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Burden of proof is on accuser

So you don't a priori believe that these kinds of things have any sort of influence on how people end up treating women?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

rumble in the bunghole posted:

Just get Lasers and Feelings and replace the stats with Kung Fu and Cowboy.

Now you got me thinking about Lasers and Feelings except replacing Feelings with The Force to make a Chirrut/Baze Rogue One game.