Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Subjunctive posted:

That would skew scores upwards, because people who dislike a game aren't likely to play it many times.

Yeah good point. This is adding more complexity, but may down-weight a high score given very close to release without many playthroughs (I am aware of the problem that once and done games would have here), but leave mediocre and late scores alone, and if someone with a high score keeps coming back and logging plays, reweight that score back up.

The other solution could be to popup old ratings when people visit the site and ask 'when did you last play this!' or 'Is this still a 10?'

I guess my thesis of the problem is the hype-cycle creates huge early attachment for a game that artificially inflates it's BGG ranking. This is caused by two things

A) People get their exciting kickstarter after a long delay and give it a huge rating
B) No-one seems to revisit ratings

So probably attacking those two things is a good idea. Maybe the best solution is directly attacking this and

A) Inital high weightings are initally down-weighted, particularly anything before the general retail release
B) Implement 'rating decay' so older high ratings (Anything above the 'take it or leave it level') are slowly weighted down. Someone logging a new play should be prompted if they still like the game, and if so their rating should be 'refreshed'

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Oct 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

LatwPIAT posted:

If you're working strictly with high and low I believe you can do some things by inverting the current so you're working with "negative", "about zero", and "positive" (this doesn't work if you're already using "negative" for 0 and "positive" for 1, though!) and there's been some theorized benefits because you can work with a base of 3 which is approximately the base of the natural logarithm so you can do logarithms at increased performance but that's really theoretical.

Isn't the problem with this that RAM and storage become really difficult problems? I know people have built ternary computers before though so someone has a solution but I suspect anything is outweighted by the fact that everything else uses binary.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Funzo posted:

I jumped on this the other day:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mathewsisson/ravine

It's by the same people that did Spaceteam, so if you're into real-time co-op card games, take a look.

The stretch goal about the plane wing sounded amazingly stupid.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

GrandpaPants posted:

Has anyone been following Root? How did the mechanics look?

There is a full print and play out so I suspect the plan is to fire up the printer or hope someone has put out a TTS module.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Kai Tave posted:

Why not both? Zombicide and all its many offshoots has never struck me as anything more than a mediocre game to begin with, being quarterbacked doubtlessly doesn't improve the experience.

Yeah i's not a good game. Just...play gloomhaven? More seriously someone needs to do a beer and pretzel dungeon crawler that isn't bad. I think Imp rear end is the best effort?

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Imp rear end is good, but it's future isn't. The last actual release for both it and Runewars was November and they haven't announced anything new for either of them. It seems up in the air if they just paused both to focus capitol on their Star Wars skirmish game or letting it replace them entirely.

Yah it's a struggle, gloomhaven is a bit clunky in places but it's so much better than everything else.

I'm looking forward to the iteration that will happen on Gloomhaven.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Antivehicular posted:

Malcolm Reynolds, and Firefly's treatment of its Civil-War-oid backstory, actually falls into the "Lost Cause" apologia trap really hard -- where the Confederacy, or its proxy in this case, is treated as having fought a noble war for "freedom" and "rights" and being honorable for standing up against an oppressive government, while being vague or silent about what the rebels were actually standing up about. (I don't think Firefly ever makes the actual casus belli of Mal's war clear, besides generic "freedom." Given what examples we see of the rebel vs. central-galaxy cultures in Firefly, they may well have been fighting for the right to abuse sex workers, but that's its own can of worms.) Treating the Civil War as a noble and righteous act and an assertion of freedom is gross apologia, given that the only "right" the CSA was seceding for was the right to own chattel slaves. I agree that not every individual soldier needs to be treated as an embodiment of that fact, but if their characterization involves the concept of mourning their "noble cause," they're right there in the mire.

In general, anything that minimizes the degree to which the Confederacy existed and fought entirely for slavery is going to be Confederate apologia of a pretty revolting kind. A common alt-history trope that I've seen show up in a few tradgames products, and which I think someone else already mentioned, is the whole "well, actually the victorious CSA abolished slavery not long after the war" trope, which is just a way to pretend that the CSA meant and was founded on any principle other than "we should be able to treat other human beings as disposable livestock." Spoiler warning: it wasn't!

Part of the problem with the various confederacy treatments is that real people think the actual confederacy was Good (tm) so anything that looks vaguely like that is hugely problematic because it feeds into this highly problematic cultural norm that the confederacy and its leadership were anything other than Bad People.

Reynolds in firefly is more or less analogous to the popular cultural stuff that tries to rehabilitate robert e lee. In a way the entire thing would be way less problematic if he was a german army officer analogue because no-one in the mainstream thinks that hitler and co were good dudes, but people erect statues about lee.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Skull and Junk art are my favourite 'party' games. Shame they only scale to 6.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Kai Tave posted:

If you buy two sets of Skull with distinct art you can play with more, though it does draw the game out some.

I don't even think you need sets with distinct art - we put our 'dead' coasters under our scoring coaster so it's pretty clear whos stuff is who.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Gutter Owl posted:

Granted, the Tash Kalar incident happened When ZMan was owned by Filosofia, who were seemingly responsible for a lot of the company's flops. ZMan has since been absorbed as another appendage of the many-mouthed beast of Asmodee. And sure, Asmodee is a soulless corporate leviathan swollen beyond the reach of our sun, but they can produce games.

It's funny to me they didn't reprint Arboretum.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

Isn’t an Arborotorum reprint around the corner?

Yeah Z-man lost the rights because they didn't reprint it for a billion years for no earthly reason.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

Oh yeah, it's gorgeous and looks like a nice chill game. I'm all in on that one.

It looks like Carcassonne 2.0 - some.more rules complexity, though not that much more, and it looks very pretty.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Jedit posted:

Kickstarter for the new Vital Lacerda game, Escape Plan, has just launched.

Detailed rules breakdown

Project page

The shipping on this is a joke.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

clockworkjoe posted:

That seems reasonable for shipping a box that size.

59 US dollars for shipping alone? Thats loving insane. They even have a local distribution partner in Australia: Gloomhaven cost me $100 bucks all in lol.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

cyberia posted:

This is an instant pledge for me. The base game is so good, I've really enjoyed playing it with both experienced game nerds and non-gamers. The art, theming and components are top-notch and the actual gameplay is really satisfying. I'd highly recommend it for anyone who is into worker-placement or engine-building games or anyone who likes charming woodland creatures.

I broadly agree with you, but I have two problems with the gameplay:

The fool card has singlehandedly swung every game we've played. It's a take that mechanism that is HUGELY impactful and totally out of wack with the rest of the game

The opening hand is too important. If you draw the nuts in your opener you are going to win and everyone else is dead.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

You're killing it Nesbit!

I have a question; Americana is going to launch in a short while, and I'm doing a final look over of the options I've picked. I'm going with PoD coupons for the book and I wanted to see what peoples thoughts about that is. For anyone who doesn't know, this is where you pay a chunk of the cost at the KS, get a coupon and order the book at printing cost from DriveThru directly.

The up shoot of this is that it's cheaper for me and for the people buying it - if I used offset, standard model shipping the books would be $40~, rather than the $30~ they're estimated right now. It also makes the goal smaller, and frankly is basically the only practical way I could do the project.

The downsides is that it "feels" a bit weird and convoluted, but plenty of successful KSs are using this model so maybe I'm just over thinking it.

Anyway here's the cover for the game, we're hoping to launch October 1st!

Gwnerally, If the guy running the Kickstarter doesn't have extensive experience delivering physical stuff, the POD coupons are more attractive to me than people offering physical rewards themselves because it's about 50 less things that could go horribly wrong removed from the process.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Nuns with Guns posted:

I'm weird and like the standees, which I believe were only available through the kickstarters?

He didn't offer them in the second Kickstarter. I'm going to guess that at the size of print runs he is doing the marginal cost of models is basically zero and streamlining fulfillment has outstripped other concerns.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Memnaelar posted:

Any backers here for the first runs of Deep Madness or Street Masters? I feel like I can only really afford one all-in cooperative miniatures extravaganza and both have elements that appeal to me. I'd particularly love takes from folks who backed and/or played both, but I'll take whatever anecdotal nudges you otherwise have to share.

I havent played either, but street masters has good reviews and deep madness is apparently overcomplicated garbage soooooo

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

djfooboo posted:

New game from the guy who made Flow of History. Not sure if it's good, but I like Flow quite a bit for what it does.

Dragon's Interest - Deluxified™ Edition, via @Kickstarter https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/michaelmindes/dragons-interest-deluxifiedtm-edition

Ponzi scheme is also pretty good, so this has promise.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Atlas Hugged posted:

Imagine being British right now and trying to plan a Kickstarter.

You're doing it entirely out of the EU and telling the UK backers they might have to pay a tariff.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Marzipan Pig posted:

God I hope the Bloodborne kickstarter goes in to the DLC bosses and we end up with the Astral Clocktower stuff and the Moon Presence. The bosses included so far seem like really odd choices and I have no idea why they started with the ones they did.

Im surprised so much of it is kickstarter only - I know FOMO drives a lot of KS pledges but entire areas being limited seems like hobbling the long term potential? Maybe I love BB too much and am assuming too many people will be interested in the miniatures who aren't already on the KS.

Retail sell through for something with a billion SKUs isn't going to be great, and warehousing will be expensive.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

It's just weird because it doesn't offer any way to get a book as well if you wanted that.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

jivjov posted:

Are you familiar with Glory to Rome? It owes a lot of design lineage to that. Every card can be used in one of a bunch of different ways; you can use it as a shipping contract, you can use it as a container to fulfill a contract, you can use cards just as an action to bid on full ships, steal stuff off ships at sea, etc. Player interaction happens as whenever someone wants to import goods from ships at sea, everyone else can follow that action and there's a closed fist auction on who gets the goods.

Every card has a special power on it that you get access to by way of fulfilling the card as a contract. So as the game goes on, player get unique powers that other players won't have. There's also a low key tech-tree type aspect, as you can't contract certain cards unless until you've fulfilled enough contracts of that color.

The definitive edition also is adding a player driven economy where you get more or less money for fulfilling contracts as different colored contracts are put in play.

And yeah, I think availability was a bit of an issue. Jordan does direct sales off his website, and at least a handful of copies were sold via Amazon; that's where I ended up with mine...but I don't think they entered wide FLGS distribution.

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=137AjvoPmO4 There's a rahdo gameplay runthrough

I got mine of Jordan directly at the Tokyo game market. I haven't seen any other copies in the wild.

The big problem with the game is that it's a Lead/Follow game so it's AP Central.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah this is the real problem. They're estimating prices to triple on shipping to/from US.

Shouldn't using cargo shipping (and not the postal service) to a distribution centre in the US and then shipping from there insulate against the worst of it?

Postal shipping to/from the US is a big unknown though.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Can anyone show me a statement from the Union actually calling for a boycott?

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Mors Rattus posted:

No, because there isn't one.

e: indeed, their last communication on the subject was literally the opposite, albeit happened before the latest events.

Yeah I'm just extremely puzzled, that current Affairs article is not helpful

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

It undermines the unions bargaining position yeah. Treat it as situation normal until the union wants something specific imho.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, and as I pointed out elsewhere, consumers not bringing new pledges to the site is not a boycott.

A boycott would look like users pulling existing pledges and creators pulling projects so KS management can see the money their actions have cost them.

Not bringing new pledges absolutely is a boycott and 100% Kickstarter will be able to see the impact of that.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

NTRabbit posted:

Lots of goons doing mental gymnastics to justify crossing a picket line itt

If the union hasn't called for a strike or a boycott, there is no picket line?

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

malkav11 posted:

I wish he had more to say about why it's so insanely ambitious. I mean, cool, there's an electronic tower and an app? I can see how those could facilitate an ambitious design, but Gloomhaven was bonkers because of how much game there is and how deep the play is despite this, and it's hard to see that in what they're presenting of Dark Tower.

It's worth noting that Isaacs non-Gloomhaven work is extremely mediocre.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

djfooboo posted:

So Very Wrong About Games Mark Bigmy is very fond of it. I was gonna give the rule book a read and maybe pledge for a basic package based on his rec.

The game is a very evocative of playing DOTA2 and works well mechanically. The author is willfully dense to the extent I am less likely to back the game because of it.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Kerro posted:

That does sound bad but is weird cos it's not true of the game. There is in fact absolutely no hidden information once you know the game, the only limit to known information is literally just your ability to remember a handful of cards, and every game we played we played with open disclosure of which cards we had purchased /had left etc so that people didn't have to try and remember and it works absolutely fine that way.

For some completely inexplicable reason the design thinks that makes his game bad. I agree with you - I'd actually go further, I'd say it makes the game BETTER.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

moths posted:

I'm pretty OK with a big company using KS to do something that's otherwise risky or niche.

Mantic gets a bad reputation for it, but the conventional mini wargame release model is to put out a handful of partial factions, then hope to God those sell well enough to fund the rest of the line. It rarely, if ever, worked out that way prior to KS.

Similarly, SJG's Ogre super-set would have been business suicidal to fund traditionally. Stores aren't going to order a coffin-box $200 edition of a 30 year old game and hope that someone buys it.

That's not to say companies aren't gaming the system, but that isn't a universal situation.

I mean, how many board game companies have exploded because they fatally misjudged the demand for a project? It's going to be a very high percentage of them, particularly once you add in companies that have had a flop and taken a massive finacial hit. Kickstarter as a store for preorders before manufacturing is massively helpful to 'right size' your print run for the demand and derisk bringing new games to market.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

The painting is the bit that makes it.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Don't all of Steam forged KS games suck? Like literally all of them?

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

CODChimera posted:

i'll probably back Primal, means I can skip Bardsung and Darkest Dungeon. Never played a MH game on any platform but it looks fun

DD added a mat, gameplay upgrades and an alternate hero pack in the pledge manager. this trend of adding a bunch of stuff in the pledge manager is kinda annoying

Someone mentioned that almost half of the revenue of their kickstarter was from the pledge manager, which for them was causing problems with revenue projects, but I guess it's an opportunity to up sell.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Oink games a very mixed bag ranging between incredibly terrible to solid fillers.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Memnaelar posted:

I've never played Everdell but it's got a big-box/new expansions out and I'm curious about folks' opinions on the game. Looks a bit cute, but curious as to whether it has any gameplay chops beneath the hood.

It does not. The core game play loop is 'did you draw the extremely obvious combos? You win!'

It doesn't have much substantive decision making.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

chaosbreather posted:

Bummer, it has such a nice looking box

Bare in mind I am a sour grog. It actually reminds me a lot of Wingspan mechanically and if you like Wingspan you'll probably like this (and visa versa)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Infinitum posted:

Oh wow I wanted to back this because I thought it was gorgeous, but holy :laffo: at the "maybe it's stuck on the Ever Given" level of shipping.

I suspect this is working within Japan thing. While the forms are a pain in the arse to fill out, the Japanese postal service is (in my Limited experience) excellent.