Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

HitTheTargets posted:

I've barely started reading it, but one thing I thought was a pleasant surprise was seeing Jennifer Mahr not only acknowledged as co-creator of 1st ed., but also she's the writer of the fluff that opens the book.

You hear John Wick's John Wick Presents buys the full rights to a John Wick game, you start worrying about the guy's ego.

Yo, did you know Vodaccians are a lot like spiders? Like, metaphorically?

Edit: Finished reading through the major stuff. It's interesting just how many rules you can see as directly following on from the old system, despite being so different. Advancement through Story is intriguing. There's a picture of an Eisen woman with Farah Fawcett hair and Randy Savage biceps.

Yea that was a classy thing to add, good on him. Wick's still Wick in a lot of ways but his recent few projects have really changed my opinion on the dude.

Also buff rear end Eisen glam lady is the best art in any RPG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
He did that really neat RPG where you play as magic items and poo poo. I didn't get in on that but it seemed to be a perfectly well handled KS as well with the people I know who got it having nothing but good things to say.

I wanna say he did another thing too but I can't quite remember.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Slimnoid posted:

Yeah, for all his idiosyncrasies, Wick is one of the most professional people in the industry. These latest bits about playing and DMing in 7th Sea gives me a small bit of hope that maybe he's rolling back the ego a little.

Yea I was really happy to see him talking so much about story over mechanics and all that and generally seeming to want to actively encourage new gms. Even if the whole 'aw gee I'm rooting for you to just have fun' is a little sappy it's so much better than 'YOUR PLAYER PICKED A FLAW BE SURE TO PUNISH THEM FOR IT AT EVERY TURN" as he used to do.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

signalnoise posted:

It's just a really expensive version of a like 25 dollar game

I mean, it's a VERY nice overpriced version of a decent boardgame at least? Like, of the dumb boardgame impulse moves to do it's at least on the side of 'probably dumb but at least you get a nice thing out of it'.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
filthy filthy plastic boys

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

glitchkrieg posted:

In defence of a CAH clone, Bring Your Own Book is actually really good because it varies game-to-game based on the players and their library. I never thought I'd laugh so much at Trotsky's writings on London.

yea Bring Your Own Book is at least an interesting twist because it can genuinely be ~anything can happen~ and all. Plus as a huge nerd any game that rewards my horde of books is good.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Anyone post Reflections yet?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/496783700/reflections-a-game-of-dueling-samurai/description

It's a really neat little idea, a game focused entirely around dueling and telling a story of a relationship and all. Just 10 bucks to get the PDF+stretch goals level, and like many neat Kickstarter tabletop games there's a One Shot episode with the creator if you wanna hear it

http://oneshotpodcast.com/podcasts/one-shot/158-reflections/

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Hm it's so interesting. One of those welfare cards involves screaming 'racism' over not getting a job (even though you, as a welfare boy, were foolish to want one to begin with and never REALLY wanted to get the job). It's so odd, though, because the drawings are all of a generic stock white guy. It's so weird that a white guy would 'shout racism' to get his way...

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Nuns with Guns posted:

didn't he also hit the patreon funding level to afford a personal assistant to help him with webcomic-making?

e- yeah he did

he hired a very reliable assistant, Mr Aaron Biaz, a very hard worker who is not Aaron Diaz in a fake mustache no sir.

He also spends time tweeting about his badass martial arts abilities, which I'm sure are a full time job to maintain.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Fenarisk posted:

To be fair, and I know I'm gonna be absolutely burned at the stake for this, it's not an excuse to just run off with the kickstarter money/not fulfill obligations. That's a much lower level of unprofessional but it still is, you wouldn't get away with that poo poo in the adult world of work.

to make a 'real world' version of this this is like saying 'ok yea I know you had to leave your bakery because some idiot kept throwing bricks through the window and spraypainting slurs on your door, but...I ordered this cake....'

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

fr0id posted:

Hasn't GMS openly mentioned that he's dealing with depression? Why is it okay to constantly make fun of him for not making his game but it's taboo to hold Mikan accountable? Mikan seems like an awesome person and it's horrific what happened to them, but they still ducked out on their Kickstarter without a word to their backers about it. GMS wasn't stalked, but he does have this entire subforum regularly literally calling him a piece of poo poo.

Because GMS constantly says 'it's coming soon and you guys are gonna be blown away and so loving sorry you ever doubted me you'll see'?

Like if he just said 'guys my depression is really bad and it's keeping me from writing, I don't know when it'll be done but it'll be done when it is and I'm sorry' do you think there'd be the same reaction?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I don't know why you need to do the whole 'it's none of my business' thing, you clearly think it is and I'd love to hear what KS stuff Mikan said makes you think this is exactly the same as GMS or whatever the point here is.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

fr0id posted:

Having depression is not equivalent to being harassed and stalked, and I apologize for implying otherwise. It just seems to me like people have been bullying the dude who has admitted to having mental health issues. Yeah, he keeps promising new dates that he can't make, but that's obviously the sign of a dude who is desperately afraid to disappoint people and would rather trash his reputation than tell people he's going to be late.

I suppose the best way to think about what happened to Mikan is that they were essentially being threatened at their job, their job had no way to protect them, and they had to cut ties to the job completely. I think it's reasonable for people to wonder why the exit had to be so abrupt and unannounced and that a surrogate was never asked to explain what happened, but I get that a feeling of being threatened outweighs those things. I'm honestly just really curious about how things happened, and the vagueness and vitriol that surrounds the subject just makes it more intriguing.

I don't think anyone's really bullying GMS though? It seems 90% of the interaction about his poo poo us us posting in a forum he never sees 'haha wow STILL not out?' kinda poo poo. Like, yea if someone is actually hassling him over a lovely steampunk cowboy kung-fu game they should probably stop.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

fr0id posted:

Isn't making fun of somebody behind their back/publicly pretty much bullying? I will couch this by saying that the dude has said some inflammatory things but that doesn't really mean he deserves being bullied for something unrelated to those statements.

I mean in the cosmic sense maybe? But like, this isn't 'we're saying he probably killed a hobo back in 92 and he can't defend himself'. It's just, ya know, saying 'this thing he said is dumb' and someone else going 'yea, it is'.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

did some internet weirdos throw bricks thru this mikan dudes windows? like what was actually done?

no the point is I was making a more tangible, real life, version of 'internet people flooded Mikan's poo poo sending death threats, doxxing them, calling their parents and poo poo', like, it's something that's intended to scare you out of business.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
we are very cultured

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Golden Bee posted:

This is really MH V1.3, all the changes are corrections rather than expansions.

I'm down for this, and the CAD to Real Money conversion makes this a pretty cheap buy in too. My group likes MH, not a game we play a ton but when we play it it's always been a fun experience. I'm down for Monster Hearts: Revised

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea I wasn't wild about him as an option but it seems she's taking the issues others raised seriously and reconsidering things, and that's really the best I can ask for.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
7th Sea just updated Backerkit with a download of the preview for Heroes & Villains. Like with the core book this preview is pretty much the book, bookmarks and all. Haven't jumped into it in depth but I like that the 'heroes' section starts off with a nice clear section about playing heroes as the GM that focuses on 'remember this is a story you're ALL telling, stay interested in your players' stories even if the hero you're playing has a story to tell too'.

I also like that they're divided up nice and easy, you have the brawn, wits, style, and sneaky types all with their own section. Nice and easy to look for someone fitting your needs. I also like that the baddies all have a little bit on either how they can be redeemed or making it clear why they're too far gone to be saved.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
my group may well be niche nerdlords but we'd devour a well made Law and Order type game, but yea aside from books like GURPS Cops and the assorted 'intrigue' splats for the fantasy games and all having sub-sections about how to do a court scene I've yet to see it done.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Nuns with Guns posted:

the gumshoe system's solution to that is simple and elegant enough to translate to any other game: don't make vital clues missable by chance. Trail of Cthulu even namedrops law & order when it explains clues:

yea really I don't think you can beat Gumshoe's approach. The point is it's a puzzle not a scavenger hunt. It's absolutely not fun to be told 'uh you guys were supposed to check behind the sofa in the study and pass a check to find the blackmail letter...' but it's much more fun to have the letter and go 'what the gently caress does this mean' as you try to make it make sense with the rest of your clues.

edit: also fitting the cop show style, Gumshoe nails it well with its whole 'there's no 'bluff' skill, that poo poo's in how you use your already existing connections and knowledge' style for social checks. Instead of the guy who maxed out Bluff stealing the show you get moments like that bit from Futurama where Hermies completely dominates in an office full of government bureaucrats because of course he would that's his thing.

sexpig by night fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Nov 26, 2016

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

unseenlibrarian posted:

Any time it opens with "I've been working on this for X decades" it's a big red flag. Like that is not a selling point.

yea I'm all for supporting passion projects but it feels like 'I've worked on this for decades' always means 'I've tinkered and reduced this down so much that it almost always isn't as strong as I think it is anymore'. Pretty much applies to most creative works really, the longer you've spent tinkering and futzing with it the less likely your original vision being there is.

It doesn't help that this

Waffleman_ posted:

I've been working on this setting for 20 years! (Setting is a pretty basic fantasy/science fiction mashup)

also seems to be true in this case.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Kai Tave posted:

Took longer than planned but unlike most Kickstarters that don't hit their estimated completion date Harper's been on the ball about constantly keeping updated works in progress available for play and playtesting so I'll still give him credit for a reasonably well-run KS.

Same, easy to forgive a delay when the guy is still keeping good updates and trying to make all the playtest stuff he can available.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea from what I've heard on twitter this is less 'we need this or the book fails' and more 'this is hopefully gonna keep us printing for a while as well as help us get this new edition out and ready'. I wish they'd just pitch it as that, frankly, since I'm sure most all their fans have no issue there already. But yea, like all EP things, when you choose to buy their stuff you're not so much buying a single product as you are supporting their general business and getting a copy of a thing you can also have for free as a thank you. I'm in for the stretch goals because of their history too, their last KS was worth it and I imagine for their big second edition push they'll have some neat stuff.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
double post but their first update just pretty much confirmed why I had no problem backing at a higher level. First 2 stretch goals announced, 10% bonus for freelancers at 70k and a second NPC mini-booklet at 85k.

They're also looking into international shipping costs and apparently will have an update there around the fifth.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Ettin posted:

Consider giving me money instead. 8 hours left and we're funded twice over :dance:

oh cool this slipped under my radar. Last minute back!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Alien Rope Burn posted:

"Dharker Studio".

Looks like they're a VN company so I guess they have experience making squish-core .pngs. Game looks like utter trash, tho.

I'm really into them touting "STACKABLE CARDS" as a revolutionary idea.

Like, at least that awful Honeypop game just was honest and said "YO YOU GUYS WANNA SEE TITS? LIKE MATCH 3 GAMES? COOL HERE YA GO YOU FUCKIN ANIMALS."

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

dwarf74 posted:

Cortex Prime seems to have turned into quite a bargain, with 18 hours to go. The unlocked settings are really interesting, making the $10 pledge a steal.

goddamn you weren't lying. There's some genuinely neat concepts here. I'm kinda meh on the system itself but I'm seeing some ideas I bet my group would like regardless, totally worth ten bucks for a toolkit.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I have to confess...my group and I kinda unironically love TORG and are all hype for this KS.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Anyone backing Western? It looks good, but combat may take forever.

Is this just Aces & Eights

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Lord_Hambrose posted:

A large part of why I am a backer, though I am a sucker for anything Western themed.

yea the main reason is I love the idea of mixing old samurai stuff and old western stuff, but also because it's gonna own to get this before the KS that ended years ago.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Kaza42 posted:

Well, I'm a big sucker for NWN1/2 style games, and this looks like more of that so I'm willing to take a chance on it

Same, I'm bracing for a burn but A) from what I remember Kingmaker was a solid adventure series, and B) I'm willing to take a gamble on the hope of some sweet NWN style fun.

There certainly seems to be passion behind it, which hey that's something, it feels like it's a proper project rather than 'hey nerds you like pathfinder? What if that was on your computer?'

You know, like something was.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Were you GMing? I personally found it a cool concept but hard core garbage to actually run in practice, and with a whiplash and barely foreshadowed final boss.

I was a player so I can't speak to the GM perspective. It was with my regular group and I don't remember if our dude running it took a hot knife to it to make it work a bit better like he had for past adventure paths so this could 100% be the mists of nostalgia making me think it was better than it was

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

homullus posted:

But, like, what's special about Torg? Exploding dice and the mix of settings isn't special. I already have a few Savage Worlds things lying around. What's great about Torg?

for a real answer, like said the setting is the main draw. It's like RIFTS done way stronger. There's hardfast rules in every universe that shape the characters around them but at the same time the characters are big drat heroes who flounce around breakin the rules/breakin the law. The worlds have a very strong, cohesive, flavor and their people follow the rules well enough to make cyber-papal state stuff feel like a genuinely major shift from baseline stuff while still feeling part of the same hosed up universe.

The system is...eh...Not terrible and the changes are positive changes but...yea there's a lot of 90's clunk in there that can be annoying. If you like the whole mixed nuts possibilities of Savage Worlds you may like this.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Evil Mastermind posted:

Misspent Youth is kickstarting a new edition/print run. MY is a short-campaign game about kids fighting back against The Man in the YA dystopia of your choice. I reviewed it for F&F a while ago, and Robert Bohl himself loved the review (he was so happy that I "got it" :3:) so check that out.

Oh, and one of the setting for the new edition of MY is "rollergirls v The Man" so, you know. That may interest people.

MY is really loving good, like, really good. I've had a campaign of that involve someone at the table actually tearing up a bit and also the group strapping roller skates to monkeys to crash a country club party.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

bandaid.friend posted:

KS exclusives actually super stress me out. I don't like the concept, unless they're cosmetic, but it also really bothers me if I can't 'have everything' related to a board game I like. Fortunately most games with lots of KS exclusives are forgettable miniature games anyway

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/116597536/build-the-wall-the-politically-incorrect-board-gam/description
Features all five kinds of illegal immigrants - the sick, anchor babies, criminals, terrorists and 'good eggs'. I like how desert begins immediately south of the US border

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/951895566/right-or-racist/description
A true-or-false trivia party game guaranteed to make everyone go home early. Occasionally the game encourages the players to debate on topics such as 'Islam is inherently a dangerous religion' and 'BLM is a hate group'

I think my favorite bit for the racist game is the scorecard being so cowardly it goes from 'woah you're hitler' to 'lol kill yourself you annoying snowflake' but the entire gray middle area is just 'you stupid piece of poo poo there's no way you're actually in the middle of things for issues like this'

Like, it's just so obvious it was made by people who think 'haha yea I'm totally racist guys you got me' is the 'right' side there but they're too much of a bunch of wimps to actually say that's the side you want to be on in the scores.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Ettin posted:

The "debate cards" are described as "subjective statements" but the ones they show ("Islam is dangerous", "BLM is a hate group") have one clear, obvious answer (no) and aren't subjective at all. I wonder why that is :ssh:

Seriously those debate cards rule.

"IS BLM a hate group?"

"Uh...no?"

And then either someone outs themselves as insane and tries to say that actually #bluelivesmatter or whatever or yea everyone just nods. This is so obviously for and by CHUDs it almost makes me sad that they wimped out of making the 'racists' actually right in the right ratio.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mors Rattus posted:

Welp. That 65 tier is tempting.

I'm weak for dumb lore bullshit

e: especially in this game. There's not a ton of games where I'd be sure that 'give me more money for a fancier PDF with some lore bullshit' would 100% be worth it, but I know for a fact this is.

sexpig by night fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jul 26, 2017

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Nuns with Guns posted:

I don't know how this soucebook will top a core book that allows me to defeat a dangerous enemy in a stylish duel where we trade verbal barbs until he becomes emotionally fragile enough to perma-kill (he'd be unkillable otherwise), then allows me to erect a colossal statue in memory of the fight that gives me a permanent +1d20 to roll once per social scene, which I can also animate to kill my enemies by pouring emotions I extracted from those around me onto its feet.

... but I'm willing to back this to find out!

I like that most of the features are just 'you know that crazy poo poo? More! MORE!!!'

'Did you not have enough fun playing a wandering noble who verbally destroys their foes into actual death? Well how about being a wandering POET that makes poems so loving righteous you can kill a dude?'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea for real talk about the system I really hope part of the new book is clearer guidelines because those little annoying moments can really add up and turn a really fun concept into something that makes it difficult to first wrap your head around.