Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

My "favorite" part:

Frank's taking his ball and going home posted:

In saying “I only back finished products” some are telling creators to sell out… to create corporations with investors, or go borrow large sums personally, and pre-fund everything before it goes public. The product doesn’t need your ideas or participation (just your money), will sell online via Kickstarter or otherwise, and those on top can keep all the profit for themselves and just use the community for advertising.

"Screw you, people who only want to spend money on a product that exists instead of a great idea for a game I might write someday! And screw you, people who don't ask for money until they have something substantive to show potential buyers! How dare you not want everyone in the hobby to be able to pay 20 bucks to make you write their sweet-rear end OC with a pet owl named 'Trigger Warning' into your game?!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Yeah, like Kai Tave said, there are a good number of RPG kickstarters that at least offer beta versions of the rules for backer perusal. Certainly the rules are a bigger part of the value of RPG kickstarters than board game ones, but usually the goal of funding there is to afford art, layout, printing, and other costs associated with producing a professional final product, as well as allowing for more playtesting and the production of additional content for the game. I don't insist on downloadable beta rules for backing RPGs, but I prefer to see that most of the writing of the core game is done; I imagine a lot of other potential KS backers feel the same.

At this point, I feel like launching an RPG Kickstarter without at least a mechanical shell available to backers requires a lot of things Empyrea didn't have: most notably, name recognition in the hobby and reputations for getting products written and out the door. Invisible Sun didn't have much more than "D6 resolution system" and "it's another adjective-noun-who-verbs game, guys!" to show for its mechanics during the KS, and I'm pretty sure the game wasn't more than outlined during that period, but Monte Cook and MCG have a reliable industry track record for delivering on their deadlines with stuff with good production values (as far as I know), and obviously the name recognition also moved a lot of box sets BLACK CUUUUBES. Sure, Frank Mentzer has some name recognition, but I feel like not having any game publication credits since the '80's -- you know, within the lifetimes of a lot of people in the hobby? -- makes a huge ambitious project a hard sell.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I had completely forgotten that loving thing existed until I read "cronks"

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Mr. Maltose posted:

Imagine using loving Lolita as an "Actually gross stuff is good" defense when the book literally could not pack any more venom for it's lovely, lovely protagonist.

Thank you for saying this before I could

ANYWAY: Invisible Sun updated yesterday with prototypes of the ludicrous feelies, including the ~sun medallions~:

(These are blind-boxed/chosen by pledge time with no visible prototypes, incidentally. Oh, boy, I hope I get the lovely two-squares-and-a-circle one!!)

And, of course, the freakin' Torgo hand:

They also said something about an actual play launching, but I'm not sure if I want to spoil myself on the majesty of this poo poo before I get my Bad Idea Box.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Lunatic Sledge posted:

This is what 20-something days of crushing despair suddenly getting lifted looks like. I thought it was straight up dead in the water until the last week or so.

Seriously, dude, congrats. I'm not really in the market for an anime game right now, but it seems like you have a strong design aesthetic in mind for this, and I hope it goes well for you from here.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

To be fair, this is about the level of majestic wretchedness that the I Am Zombie fluff deserves.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

GWAR at least had flavor. The Hate Tribes of Ug'Whatever seem most likely to kill you with boredom.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Guy Goodbody posted:

The part where he's making big, expensive, multi-part minis with no experience in miniatures and doesn't even know if they're going to be plastic or resin yet seems like a cause for concern

Never back a "minis by someone in the industry who's never made minis before but figures it can't be that hard" project. I think the Low Life Minis KS from years and years ago may still not have fully delivered.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

The Western genre, and derivatives thereof, has always contained a degree of Confederate apologia; "heroic and honorable Confederate veteran living as a masterless man out West" is a pretty stock protagonist figure. If people gave Deadlands slack, it's possibly because of that genre precedent.

Honestly, I would be okay with the Tolerance Gauge thing if it were strictly in relation to other Mesoamerican nations, both to understand them and to work together productively, form alliances, etc. It shouldn't cost advancement points, because forcing players to spend advancement to make their characters less assholish is never a good call, but sure, make cultural exchange and mutual respect a thing you have to develop. Conquistadors ain't nobody's buddies, though.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Is it really apologia though? I don't say this to diminish the terribleness of the cause of the war but it seems overly simplistic to paint the soldiers that fought in the war and the politicians that started it with the same brush. There wasn't really a conscientious objector status available.

Malcolm Reynolds, and Firefly's treatment of its Civil-War-oid backstory, actually falls into the "Lost Cause" apologia trap really hard -- where the Confederacy, or its proxy in this case, is treated as having fought a noble war for "freedom" and "rights" and being honorable for standing up against an oppressive government, while being vague or silent about what the rebels were actually standing up about. (I don't think Firefly ever makes the actual casus belli of Mal's war clear, besides generic "freedom." Given what examples we see of the rebel vs. central-galaxy cultures in Firefly, they may well have been fighting for the right to abuse sex workers, but that's its own can of worms.) Treating the Civil War as a noble and righteous act and an assertion of freedom is gross apologia, given that the only "right" the CSA was seceding for was the right to own chattel slaves. I agree that not every individual soldier needs to be treated as an embodiment of that fact, but if their characterization involves the concept of mourning their "noble cause," they're right there in the mire.

In general, anything that minimizes the degree to which the Confederacy existed and fought entirely for slavery is going to be Confederate apologia of a pretty revolting kind. A common alt-history trope that I've seen show up in a few tradgames products, and which I think someone else already mentioned, is the whole "well, actually the victorious CSA abolished slavery not long after the war" trope, which is just a way to pretend that the CSA meant and was founded on any principle other than "we should be able to treat other human beings as disposable livestock." Spoiler warning: it wasn't!

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

The Malthusian posted:

I really wish that conquistador game was just about Mexico natives monster- huntering dragons without Europeans in it at all.

I'd also like to see more games with this approach. It's hard to do narratives reflecting historical imperialism/colonialism tastefully, and I'm not convinced those narratives are interesting enough to justify the effort, compared to other stories you can have your games tell.

A game I like in this regard is How We Came to Live Here, which is basically an Anasazi fantasy game and states in its introduction "your people are the People; no other humans are ever going to show up in this world." It gets that out of the way pretty fast so it can move on to storytelling about the culture it's really focused on.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

This conversation has pushed me from "hmmm, Flying Circus looks interesting but I'm not all that into tactical dogfighting, I'll think about it" to a project backer. I'm going to go read through the playbook previews now.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

theironjef posted:

At least one of the stretch goals is for a bit more traditional of a milieu where not everyone is a pilot in their own plane. Just a crew member on their shared blimp.

Well, my concern was less with the plane stuff and more with whether there'd be something juicy to do outside of the tactical stuff; I respect that "tactical combat engine with narrative loosely attached" is a lot of people's preferred gaming form, but it's not really to my taste, especially in PbtA. I'm glad to hear, and to read firsthand now that I've backed, that there's plenty of noncombat substance in the game.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Zurui posted:

Just gonna say that I'm really digging Flying Circus, especially the Airborn and all of the work that has gone into crafting an inclusive game that also recognizes the struggles and issues of the real world.

Yeah, I'm really appreciating how thoughtful it is, both about general playbook design/niche development (hard to tell without the finished playbooks in hand, but it already looks much more carefully designed than most PbtA) and about real-world issues. I tend to cringe at fantasy Roma because they're almost always godawful stereotype wads, but the Airborn look like a really good way to integrate the real people's lives and struggles into a fantasy game.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Uggh, I want to back that stupid thing, but is the first physical tier really $100? The entire point of buying garbage games is having an incredibly weird physical object to marvel at/show friends/read on the can/etc.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Covok posted:

Like I said, I was aiming to have an artless draft ready by today and here it is.

How does it look? I plan on contacting some people to get some art for it, get a video added, and I want to see if I can't interest some people in doing some playbooks for it as a stretchgoal.

Thoughts, feelings, opinions, wild accusations against my character?

I'd get this proofread to clean up your prose. You've got some choppy sentences and fragments going on that would make me question the quality of the book.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Golden Bee posted:

I ran a session of BFF today and it was oddly sweet. This would be a great First RPG for people of any age from 9 to their mid 40s probably.

Deets? I'm interested, but I'd appreciate knowing more about how this plays and if it has value for more experienced gamers. (I like HotD's other stuff, although I've never actually managed to get anyone to play them with me, so maybe that should be a sign not to blow $50 on another Neat Thing...)

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

I'm normally a sucker for a supers RPG, but I am unsure of the recently-launched SuperAge.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1625564009/superage-role-playing-game?ref=437441&token=c4013a32

I've never quite wrapped my head about anything Powered by the Apocalypse and the art seems to mostly tell me there are some curvy, curvy white super ladies running around. Which is fine - more than fine - but also not. If somebody wants to chime in to get me to lean in its direction, please feel free.

If it helps, this looks "Powered by the Apocalypse" in the loosest possible sense, probably just in using d6s. Nothing else they describe about the game (universal mechanics with only a very broad theme, full character creation instead of playbooks, granular combat that isn't "dangerous") is PbtA-y at all.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Umbra Dubium posted:

...aaaand backed.

:same:

Looking forward to the best awkwardly-repaired goblin-mangled RPG of 2018

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

It's basically a game where you pick a girl and you hang out with your friends and do stuff based on where you hang out and be friends with each other. It says it is based off of some other game called Fall of Magic, dunno if anyone here familiar with that can chime in.

I don't know much about BFF and have been on the fence about backing it, but I have Fall of Magic and another one of their games. My understanding is that their games are extremely rules-light, basically just collaborative storytelling, but have a lot of focus on production values of the playing pieces and other props; Fall of Magic is a huge, gorgeous game (linen scroll map, metal coins to represent characters), and BFF looks very similar.

As for whether or not to back: do you like hands-on components, and does the art style here appeal to you? Are you open to gaming with very loose rules? Are you interested in collaborative storytelling in the mode that the game's going for (in this case, slice-of-life stories about middle-school girls being friends and growing up)? If so, I'd consider going for it; their Kickstarter track record is good, as far as I know, and they certainly have experience delivering high-quality games like this in reasonable time frames. On the other hand, if you want something with a lot of crunchy mechanics or aren't interested in slice-of-life friendship stories, I don't suspect you'll find a lot of value here.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Every backer will also be sent a PDF of the complete rules, so it should be playable regardless.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

GrandpaPants posted:

Do you want a pewter King Henry VIII (if you're an early bird backer)? How about putting rings on fingers on your player screen for reasons that I'm not quite sure of yet? Well if so, come check out Academy Games' Tudor: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/617871702/tudor

I'm not really interested in this game but kind of want that tiny judgmental Henry VIII. Guess it's time to shop for historical minis...

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I will never get over the tentacle monster having anime facial features and hair. poo poo is nightmarish.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

:siren: Invisible Sun is shipping :siren:

Guess it's time for me to learn how to write FATAL and Friends posts

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I hope the plastic hand will be displayed in a place of honor so guests can know of your hubris.

"Oh, that giant black cube on the bookcase? That's just the greatest regret of my wretched life, nothing big."

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Zurui posted:

Did anyone around here back The Happiest Apocalypse on Earth? I just found the game and am curious a) if it's actually a decent implementation of PbtA and b) if the horror themes are developed at all or if it's just spooooky Cthulutropeland.

I didn't back that, but the pitch makes me skeptical. Above and beyond the very limp satire elements, some of the PbtA mechanics look wonky -- "assemble your own playbooks!" seems to miss the entire point of playbooks, among other things.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

What, no comments on that yonic Deep One? It looks like a costume from This Ain't Pacific Rim XXX.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

1. "CisHet lesbian?" Like, "PCs will assume she's hetero but she's not," or like "the person who wrote this isn't 100% clear on what 'cishet' means and using it as synonymous for 'normal'?" I'm guessing the latter.

2. Jesus those loving font choices

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

or real kanji instead of terrible bootleg versions, as mentioned

I look at that kickstarter and all I can hear is my Japanese professor making the "buu-buu" gameshow-buzzer noise she'd make when we said something wrong, forever

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Is that any good? I can see how it might be, if you like that sort of story, but I have some hesitance about a PbtA teenage-weirdness game that doesn't acknowledge that Masks and Monsterhearts already exist.

Also there's a playbook called "The Fanservice," which is in-genre but uhhhhhh

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

There's also something kind of uncomfortable about how many "dark/deconstructed" magical girl shows are basically about taking a power-fantasy genre for little girls, crafting narratives where said power fantasy is treated as obviously stupid/meaningless/self-destructive/etc. and the fantasy figures become powerless suffering magnets, and then marketing it at adult men, all in the context of an industry that has some serious misogyny problems.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I think Deck of Legends is the only complete failure I've backed. Low Life Miniatures is still in the eternal doldrums, but I think I got everything I backed for, at least.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

DalaranJ posted:

I was going to say that Power Rangers is still ongoing, but they're clearly focused on the season 1 cast for some reason?

It's because Zyuranger is the best sentai season :colbert:

(I kid; the best sentai season is obviously Carranger)

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I don't think this got mentioned?

Your Best Game Ever!

I'm kind of surprised it hasn't with all the Monte Cook love around here.

I'm not hugely surprised Monte Cook is writing a standalone advice book, given how many GMing-advice asides he gives in Invisible Sun. (Tragically, almost none of them are "okay, but what kind of stories should I be trying to tell with this game, besides handwavery about surrealism?" IS has a huge problem with being a big toybox of ideas the writers were clearly excited about but which don't have much room to play in, to absolutely nobody's surprise.)

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

It's not GM advice. It's player advice.

oh boy, I wonder how much of it is basic "don't be an rear end in a top hat" advice. I'm putting the over/under on 50%

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I really don't understand the whole "lowballing KS goals/gating intended content behind stretch goals" thing, especially in 2018, when I feel like a lot of tradgames Kickstarter backers are pretty savvy about this sort of thing. Is the idea that getting "funded" early will build momentum for the campaign faster than if you wait to be funded for your real production costs? Normally I'd assume people planning on taking the money and running, but that doesn't jibe with the funded Kickstarter being cancelled.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

dwarf74 posted:

Holy cow, guys.

I hope mine is in the mail today.

This has been epic. I love reading through people solving puzzles like this.

Yeah, I'm also going to be checking the mail today with great anticipation. (And hoping someone does a trip report for whatever's going down next!)

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

It doesn't look like I got a monster card with mine, unfortunately. On the plus side, I have SCENTED Orc Stabr! (It smells like school supplies.)

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Americana is something we've been working on for a while, its a game about investigating the death of your close friend, in a 1950s small town America, with fantasy elements, so like how Cyberpunk does Corporate Dystopia With Elves, we're doing High School Murder Mystery with Orcs.

Honestly, I would probably back this concept entirely on its own merits. Orc Stabr and the ARG are just icing on the cake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I still need to take photos, but my monster card arrived yesterday. I think Orc Stabr may be the best KS experience I've had ever.