Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I mean who can argue with the sound logic behind four pledge tiers of $13, $24, $69, and $9,966.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

bewilderment posted:

Godbound Kickstarter: "Why should you trust me? Well, I am extremely good at kickstarters."
Me: "Pssh, that's pretty presumptuous, but it does look like he has a good track record."
Godbound Kickstarter: *delivers regular updates including reader feedback, becomes art-complete, has free small supplement, and an index, delivers months early*
Me: :aaa:

Yeah, Kevin Crawford's stuff is unfortunately a bit samey in the way that OSR stuff tends to be after a while but he's probably one of the most reliable and professional publishers working today.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Finally, a game that caters to my crippling social anxiety.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Maybe he should have spent more time getting his ducks in a row and less time fantasizing about burning 4E books in effigy.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
"The party game you probably shouldn't play."

Points for honesty, at least.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I fuckin' love Armored Core to an unreasonable degree and I still wouldn't ever be inclined to buy one of these miniature-heavy Kickstarter licensed boardgames without a whole bunch of people whose opinions I trust telling me that no, this one is different from all the rest.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It's got some really cool interpretations of the some stuff but has real issues with scaling and balance.

True to form for Rifts then.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Big announcement from the makers of the Armored CoreMech Command RTS board game:

So yeah, you should probably bail out now.

So basically they gave up the thing that lets them make the fancy miniatures that are the main selling point to a game like this in the first place.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Wouldn't they have to redo all the designs, molds, logos, etc.? Or are they not even there yet?

They've posted redone box art and I think some of the models they're showing have been tweaked since last time? But yes, they absolutely have to go back and change pretty much every iconic or branded Armored Core Thing now. What's really amazing in all of this isn't that they lost the license somehow, which would be regrettable but understandable...Marvel suddenly pulled their license from Margaret Weiss Productions in the middle of several Marvel Heroic Roleplaying projects for instance, giving them all of a week to shut everything down, license holders can do weird things...but instead they voluntarily dropped the license because they underestimated how hard it would be working with a license holder that spoke a different language than they did. Yeah.

In other news, the chat thread pointed out the existence of yet another game attempting to cash in on the Cards Against Humanity craze of "ironic shitposting, but in real life" games with A Jew, A Black, A Christian, and A Gay Walk Into a Bar, a game about stereotypes and how the world has become too politically correct these days. I'm only bringing it up again here because in the time since it went live it's acquired a whole three comments, and let's see what they have to say:

Fotios Zemenides. Superbacker posted:

Is absolutely hysterical, can't wait for expansion decks!

Robert Balick & Randy Karey, Creator posted:

Ha! Thanks. Yes, we've got several in the works. Got any recommendations you'd start with?

Jan Franco posted:

Regarding expansions, S J Ws, BLM, and 3rd wave feminism.

Hot stuff!

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

jivjov posted:

Yeah, as stupid as their decision was, its nice that they're saying "Hey, and if you don't like this, we are ready and willing to refund you, no questions asked"

It's not like they can stop people from pulling pledges from an in-progress Kickstarter anyway.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Impermanent posted:

The same thing is going on in the Project: Dark updates. I think once you alienate everyone who isn't a true believer those types just start running the show.

poo poo, I'd forgotten all about Project: Dark.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Kwyndig posted:

Now I'm starting to wonder if it's even going to fund.

Unless it drops over 125K in the next 11 days it will.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

JazzFlight posted:

Pretty sure you can cancel even if it would unfund the project. That happened to The Walking Dead Cryptozoic KS before they revamped it and gave everyone what they wanted.

You can do so right up until the last 24 hours of the project, this is to keep people from trolling by pledging $500,000 and then withdrawing it with 15 minutes to go.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

gradenko_2000 posted:

^^^^^ Exactly right. Clothes wear out. Lipstick runs out. Food gets eaten. Dice not so much.

It's an extension of the marketing scheme that's caught on in recent years where you subscribe to a service and they send you things every month. The earliest incarnation I heard of it was cosmetics back in, I want to say 2013, but it's since branched out into all sorts of other things like clothing and even food.

RPGs are just bandwagoning onto a trend, but I don't think it's a good idea in this industry because if you're not licensed to produce things for the big names, you're either sending out very random assortments of junk (as you noticed), or there's really not a lot of stuff worth putting onto a box and shipping to people as far as "RPG related items" goes. Certainly not sustainable in the long term.

I mean, various "X of the month" clubs have existed for as long as I've been alive, and therefore as long as recorded history, things like Lootcrate are nothing new really except in who they're marketed towards.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Giga Robo saw a huge burst in pledges right before it ended. They even got over 1,000 backers. Armored Mech Core Command continues to lose more money and backers.

I decided I couldn't pass up a game of giant super robots and it helps that it looks halfway decent, so I threw in for $95 to get the game, expacs, and all the mechs prepainted. The extra ultimate form figures seemed like a bit of an extravagance to me, I'm willing to drop a hundo on a Kickstarter board game (this is about what I paid in for Millennium Blades for example) but nearly twice that is past my threshold for indiscretionary spending. Still they managed to hit every stretch goal but the soundtrack which to be honest I never really cared about, but I'm glad that plastic buildings and the art revamp went through. Here's hoping this turns into a KS success story and not a "where are they now" down the line.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

JazzFlight posted:

Oooooh, finally what we've been waiting for!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1817579974/pc-police-the-cure-for-political-correctness-gone

Time to take down those despicable "PC Police" through a lovely Monopoly-style board game!
:jerkbag:

There are days I'm tempted to compile a list of Kickstarter projects like this just to see how many have actually successfully funded.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I vaguely recall seeing one CAH/Exploding Kittens-esque coattails rider getting funded but I can't remember what it was called because after a while they all just blur together.

The thing that leaps out at me about all these "woah haha S J W's and political correctness, amirite?" games beyond the obvious is how pretty much each and every one of them manages to patently demonstrate that the people behind them have absolutely no idea how to successfully market a game on Kickstarter, we're talking "have done literally zero research, we just expect money to magically appear in our bank account because that's how crowdfunding works." None of these games ever feature any sort of print-and-play demo, communication and updates are minimal to nonexistent, there's no serious breakdown of the risks and challenges to show people that you know what you're doing, many of them rarely even feature stretch goals which can be a double-edged sword but are still I would argue an important way to keep a crowdfunding train running.

Take Giga-Robo for example, or a Kevin Crawford KS. These projects feature betas and demos that people can play and discuss which builds word of mouth and informs customers that your project is more than hot air, you get regular updates to keep things fresh in peoples' heads and foster a sense that the creator is focused on the project rather than just laying it out there and quietly forgetting about it. For lack of a better word, these projects build hype. They get people excited and, especially in the case of a newcomer like Giga-Robo, help allay peoples' suspicions of yet another overambitious Kickstarter promising the moon but only having a few ideas scribbled on a napkin and something goes horribly wrong and oh poo poo now what (see the Totally Not Armored Core game which continues to hemorrhage money on an hourly basis).

Now let's look at A Jew, a Black, a Christian, and a Gay Walk Into a Terribly Named Game, another "has political correctness gone TOO far?" masterpiece in the making. With 17 days to go AJABACAAGWIAB has garnered the interest of a whopping 53 backers pledging nearly $3,800 of a $20,000 funding goal. So how many updates have the creators posted in the almost two weeks this project, their baby, has been live? One. A single update which says "hey, we're doing a radio interview, don't forget to spread the word!" Do they have a demo version of the game? Nope, sure don't. What's their breakdown of the funding and the potential risks they're facing? Pretty much nothing. Stretch goals? Uh-uh.

This isn't to say that this game would be sailing to success on a sea of money if only they followed these simple steps, it's entirely possible that the overlapping section in the Venn diagram between "Kickstarter boardgame supporters" and "people who chuckle knowingly at Donald Trump speeches" is extremely narrow, but I think it's pretty interesting that I've yet to see a project like this where the creator actually seemed to know what they were doing in terms of marketing and hyping their game, I would have expected to see someone come along and do so by now even if it's just down to the law of averages but pretty much every time it's the same thing, just a pitch for a lovely game left to fend for itself for 30 days with no support whatsoever.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

El Estrago Bonito posted:

IDK ask that one dude who only posts to shill his games in here

Oh I know the answer to that one already.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Evil Mastermind posted:

Sometimes I wish I wasn't as moral as I was, so I could create games like this and sell them to morons guilt-free. I imagine the profit margin is pretty high (assuming you can actually produce the drat thing).

But do they actually sell? It doesn't seem like PC Police is going to make its 10k pledge goal, nor is A Jew Etc. I'm sure that some people out there would totally impulse buy stuff like this but anecdotally it doesn't seem like the market for Dogwhistles: the Game is actually all that robust. James Desborough for example, who among other things made the Gamergate game which got pulled from DTRPG, has a Patreon. Guess how much he gets a month from like minded supporters interested in supporting his bold and visionary style?

$53.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Sure, $53 a month ain't nothing, but you see what I'm saying. It doesn't seem like people are turning out in force to support projects of this stripe.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Helical Nightmares posted:

I'm not convinced the data supports the hypothesis that there is a significant market for that type of product.

Alternatively, it could be that the market doesn't exist where the consumers/patreons are registered online.

$53 a month is nothing. I've known web comic artists who have been publicly active for less than a year pulling down $300 a month on Patreon for slice of life comics.

I mean hell, the Dresden Codak guy makes 50 grand a month for not even making a comic at all :v:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

inklesspen posted:

(Dunno where Kai Tave gets the 50 grand figure; that's an order of magnitude off of the patreon.)

Hyperbole, mostly. Though if Diaz really has gone up to once a month then that's an incredible improvement over the times where it's been like 3-4 updates a year.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Slimnoid posted:

Does Diaz have any other job other than his pretentiously awful webcomic? Because if not I don't see why it takes him for-loving-ever to y'know, do what he's paid for.

I believe the excuse is that he's an artist and you can't rush his creative vision. Or maybe he doesn't have an excuse, who knows? He's making plenty of money though so he must be doing something right.

Anyway this is drifting a bit far afield from the topic. On the whole while I believe that with a certain degree of opportunism bordering on the ambulance-chasing you can effectively monetize anything...I recall that after Anita Sarkeesian crowdfunded her video series that a video series claiming to refute her assertions was concocted in protest and crowdfunded. Except the creators walked off with the money and to the best of my knowledge never produced anything. In general though I don't feel like there's actually a big crossover market between people who enjoy sitting down to play board games and people who need some form of social lubricant in order to tell you all about how Obozo's homofascist lie-beral agenda is responsible for both 9/11 and ISIS. Or perhaps it might be more accurate to say that there isn't a big crossover between people who regularly patronize Kickstarter boardgame projects and your average Trump supporter, I'm willing to believe that the average person who rants about welfare queens and food stamps in TYOOL 2016 would impulse buy Obummeropoly if it was on the shelves at some big box store in order to show it off to his buddies for a laugh, but this same demographic may not in fact be big on crowdfunding in general, let alone crowdfunding tabletop games even if those games are a paean to their own prejudices.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

gradenko_2000 posted:

I was going through the OSR Google+ page last week, and someone was raising a new stink about DTRPG being too politically-correct again because apparently Desborough release a game called Hentacle that also summarily got pulled off their storefront.

Some people never learn, I guess.

Hentacle was one of Desborough's earlier projects actually, so that's not anything recent. It is, by the way, a Japanese schoolgirl tentacle rape themed card game, just so you know.

Ettin posted:

They did, it was just really bad and nobody watched it. :v:

Honestly I'm kind of surprised there hasn't been a big tabletop Kickstarter for a game about Those Dang SJWs yet. I think various OSR people making GBS threads themselves about Feminists Online to drum up book sales proves there's a market for it even in niche spaces. Someone with actual followers launching a Kickstarter for The Free Speech Teen Panties RPG could make some mad bank.

I stand corrected re: the Anti-Sarkeesian Tapes. As far as there being a market for it, ehhhhh mmmmaybe? Like it's definitely easy to get people TALKING about it, but is it easy to get them to cough up $10-30,000 for a game about it? That seems to be the trick. I agree with the sentiment that what it really needs is the right person with enough followers and clout to go for it.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

unseenlibrarian posted:

Wasn't the GOR rpg kickstarter supposed to be their rallying cry and it was more like a toot on a kazoo?

Oh yeah, that's what Desborough's been up to, hasn't it? Let's see...flex-funding Indiegogo campaign, always a sign of quality, barely made its base funding goal of $5,000, okay, aaaaaand the last update was seven months ago saying "we're looking at a May release date" and nothing since then, cool.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't buy a lot of lush board games, so someone tell me: what's it like to buy an expensive game with a bunch of physical doodads, only to find it's a mix of tired, dated, misguided, and simply lousy design?

Let me introduce you to a little thing called the sunk cost fallacy.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I'm pretty sure Games Workshop has at least five or six characters who have guns made out of demons lying around somewhere.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Oh yeah, and PC Police: the Cure for Political Correctness Gone Mad apparently cancelled funding five days ago having raised a whopping $80 in pledges from two backers, presumably the creators themselves. Meanwhile A Jew Etc. is entering its last five days having stalled out at $4,200 of a $20,000 funding goal. Curiously enough the creators have yet to post any further updates or comments so I guess they must be busy with other stuff.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

gradenko_2000 posted:

Something I noticed from successful Kickstarters, with Red Markets and Mutant Crawl Classics as recent ones I've backed, is that while you're running the KS, you're running the KS.

It's 30 days of plugging your product, answering questions, posting comments, going on interviews, writing updates, answering questions for those updates, and basically just marketing marketing marketing to get the word out, more more more.

Expecting to put up a KS and letting it fund itself is just lazy as poo poo. You're not even really supposed to be working on the product itself in the meantime if you're a one-man operation.

I did some poking around and it turns out that the creators of A Jew Et Al have a Twitter account that they HAVE been regularly posting updates to consisting of periodic posts to the effect of "We can still make our goal!" (no they can't). This is a Twitter account with 13 followers btw, which means for a project with nearly 60 backers if they'd simply make these pointless little posts via Kickstarter they'd more than quadruple their effective outreach. Not that it would help at this point, but still.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Chekans 3 16 posted:

Huh, I don't think I've ever seen a Kickstarter actually deliver early.

Kevin Crawford, the guy behind Godbound and Stars Without Number, consistently beats his estimated delivery dates on his Kickstarters, though to be fair he's the exception rather than the rule.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The expectations of delivering on the thing you accepted payment for.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Holy poo poo, what a prick.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

FRINGE posted:

Ive never had this happen.

Okay good for you, but plenty of people have in fact had it happen to the point where it's become a fairly common bit of "Kickstarter 101" advice for anyone new to crowdfunding. There are people here who backed Far West and while that looks fuckin stupid in retrospect up until that point there really wasn't any indication that Gareth-Michael Skarka was going to fail to produce a thing for five years running. Alas Vegas, The Doom That Came to Atlantic City, The Deck of Wonders, this is just the stuff off the top of my head that either I myself have backed or that regularly come up as examples of noticeably failed Kickstarters. Flying Assault Butts, there's another one. It's not just traditional games either, you get it with tech gadgets, video games, etc. This also isn't counting the outright scams like that guy who had three simultaneous Kickstarters for Pathfinder adventures going who unsurprisingly has vanished off the face of the earth with like $7,000+ of other peoples' money.

Luke Crane isn't a scammer but it's still kind of absurd that the guy Kickstarter put in charge of whatever he's in charge of would decide that the best way to present a crowdfunded project is to say "if you back this then your job is to sit down and shut the gently caress up until I say otherwise, I don't want to hear you asking about pesky things like delivery dates or why your stuff is late."

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Jimbozig posted:

I hate to nitpick but if you're going to distort things to try blow this up into some big deal, I'll have to correct you. Nobody's stuff was late. Book was promised in August, people got them in August. The whole kerfuffle happened in August.

Look, if you want a Viking LARP for exactly 10 people, and you back this Kickstarter, then (judging by his past Kickstarters and pre-orders) you will get a well-designed game with materials of the highest quality. You will get it on time. And moreover, you will get it practically at cost - he puts out these games for the love of the community without making much if any money off of them. Sounds loving amazing, right? The only catch? If you complain, he will be a bit rude. If you try to blow up a slightly rude comment into a huge big debate, he will refund you rather than engage in that debate. And this time, he's being transparent about that.

Those are just the facts.

If you're going to try and take me to task for this then you should probably also elaborate on the details of why people found themselves confused by the way he handled shipping in the first place and also the fact the nobody who wondered why some folks were receiving packages but no shipping info while others had info but no packaging was especially rude to him in order to merit the response he decided was appropriate, but doing so wouldn't really help reinforce the narrative that Luke Crane is the poor put-upon artiste having to endure the unreasonable demands of his whiny backers.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

thelazyblank posted:

I dunno. It's definitely lovely, counter-productive and generally not a good idea, but it's just as easy to write a blog and link it somewhere to make your comments, and have them gain traction if they're valid in any sense. I don't think Kickstarter's intent was to be anything more than a marketplace, so as long as they aren't actively censoring, encouraging censoring or anything of that level, it's definitely legal and within the rules of a marketplace for an individual to lose money because you're a grouchy viking wizard who wants to take out frustration on your own wallet.

It's unfortunate that they aren't trying to push people to be good businesspeople, but there's no reasonable way for Kickstarter to do this. Well, unless they hire a small department of people just to handle refund disputes, which isn't going to happen unless they're forced to.

I think there are some valid times when delivering an unasked for refund is an appropriate response. Like that guy who paid $200 for the Blue Rose Kickstarter in order to try and get his take-that knockoff Kratos with his child bride and owl named Trigger Warning included in the book who went on to raise a fuss when they edited it (as fan-submitted content like this is always subject to) to be less of a turd in the punch bowl. That's a situation where I think it's arguably reasonable to simply give someone a refund and tell them "it's not us, it's you."

Asking what the deal with your order is and being unhappy that you got Luke Crane's rear end in a top hat Wizard Play-By-Mail in reply isn't as compelling a reason imo. The fact that refunding people unhappy with you just so happens to lock them off from commenting on the project is an extra layer of assholishness.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I think it's been fairly well demonstrated by this point in history that NOT being an rear end in a top hat doesn't actually cost you anything, and since plenty of other tradgame creators are capable of making quality games without being an rear end in a top hat along with it I'm going to weigh someone's lifestyle choice to deliberately be a dickhead accordingly. Maybe if Luke Crane was the only person making games for nerds I might feel differently but he ain't so I don't.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Doodmons posted:

Too bad Storypath is a huge pile of poo poo. Would it kill Onyx Path to actually write some decent mechanics to go along with Scion?

Care to elaborate?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
To be honest probably the bigger black mark on Onyx Path these days is they greenlit Beast: the Primordial. Exalted's biggest issue at the moment is that it's been literal years now and hardcopies have still failed to manifest. Last I heard the charm cards backers could get have been sent to them but A). there's still no sign of the physical books to use them with and B). the cards themselves are less than useful, with some of them just referring you to the page number in the book to get the complete story which completely defeats the point of a shorthand play aid like that.

Re: Storypath, I'm not trying to suggest that Doodmons is wrong or anything, I legit don't know much about the latest version of the system. His is the first strong opinion I've heard on the subject and for it to be a huge pile of poo poo sounds like something I'd be interested in seeing expounded upon.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

moths posted:

It's probably much more common that you'd think. Excitement creates momentum, and lowballing the cost artificially moves up your hype "we're funded!" moment, which is important because the funding is on a limited timescale.

People love a winner, and looking like a winner for more of the campaign means you'll collect more money.

It is vastly more common than you'd think, not just in tradgames but other Kickstarter areas as well, both for this reason and for this reason:

NTRabbit posted:

It's also best not to forget that gamers are terrible people who have a huge amount of entitlement, and absolutely zero understanding or acceptance of the real costs in making a game or game related product, tabletop or video

A lot of people lowball Kickstarter funding thresholds because A). if they asked for the amount of funding that successfully seeing a project to completion usually requires it would make people balk, and B). because if you can get the hype train running with stretch goals it can be easier to keep the momentum going stronger for longer as opposed to "wow, we're 12 days in and over a third of the way to our baseline goal!" Most Kickstarters get the biggest spikes of their funding in the very early days and like the last 48 hours or something, then in-between you've got a long stretch of doldrums that you have to work around, and in that time if it doesn't look like there's a lot of steady forward progress being made it's very, very easy for enthusiasm and subsequently pledges to drop off and dry up altogether.

Plus having a project's minimum funding met makes it seem like more of a "sure thing" than a project that still has yet to be successfully funded, so artificially moving the goalposts like that makes your project seem like a sounder investment even if you're secretly pinning your hopes on securing more money than you asked for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

clockworkjoe posted:

Upwind is a new fantasy RPG from Jeff Barber (designer of Blue Planet) and is now on Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1875712273/upwind-rpg-treasure-planet-meets-studio-ghibli/description

That art is, I'm sorry to say, not doing it for me at all.

That dude on the bottom makes my head hurt just looking at them. Beyond superficial aesthetics there's the fact that I already own Swashbucklers of the 7 Skies and two versions of Inverse World and that this doesn't really seem to be bringing much new to the table in the "floating islands and airships and magic" genre, so I'm probably gonna pass. Sign me up for a new edition of Blue Planet though.