Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Just burned through the main sessions of Alas Vegas tonight and, wow, yes. It's very, very good. I might just talk a group into running through four sessions and just Dealing it all myself. Really impressive stuff and well worth the wait. I can see how churning through it all amidst the rest of life had to have been extremely difficult for him. Nice to have my cynicism straight rebuffed for a change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
FWIW, I wrote a complimentary comment on the KS comments for Alas Vegas and James was nice enough to write back to me privately and to let me know that I was essentially the first positive feedback he'd gotten from a reader he didn't know since delivering the PDFs. I think people are largely still a little stunned to finally have it (and it's a LOT to read and take in; I'm certainly not done yet).

All that said, if you like it, drop him a line in the KS comments or on the DriveThruRPG page once it's up for the public. I think he'd really appreciate it, given that this was a passion project for him and he was certainly beating himself up quite a bit publicly when missing his self-imposed deadlines.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Evil Mastermind posted:

It's probably also a case of people just stopped caring about it since it took forever, so they don't bother to actually read the PDF.

Sure. I totally get the fatigue playing a part. I'm just hopeful that over the next week or two, people crack it open and realize some hard work went into this.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Legacy just pushed on update, the game books are all staying royal sized after all.

I get the decision. At the end of the day, giving everyone what they paid for is probably the better call than providing an arguably better product but having to deal with the shrieking and possible complaints and refund demands of the tiny minority of backers who'd pitch a fit. At the end of the day, unless it's an objectively better (and to me, this was just subjectively better) product, simpler to just provide what you promised.

The book is going to be amazing, regardless. Looking forward to getting mine.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Kai Tave posted:

I like to think that I'm not going to throw a fit over something like this but speaking purely from myself I've begun to prefer the smaller size for RPGs lately, when I elect to buy hardcopy at all. They take up less space and they're easier to transport. I wouldn't have raised a huge fuss but cards on the table, I'm glad that a resolution was reached that keeps the parts that I care about (namely the corebook, maybe the setting supplements if I get impulse spendy when the pledge manager goes live) the size they were originally stated.

Oh, I wasn't trying to generalize and say everyone who prefers the small edition would've been a fit-pitcher. I prefer it myself (although I was confusing, I suspect, about that when I said the larger book was a subjectively better decision). I just mean that it makes sense that you maintain your initial promises, rather than deal with the minority who would pitch a fit, which is in itself a minority of the folks who preferred the smaller book. Besides, it'll fit nicely on my shelf with my other AW-powered books like Blades in the Dark. ;-)

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Cerebria is on Kickstarter. It's the newest game from Mindclash (Trickerion, Anachrony). It looks pretty incredible and as dense as their previous two games.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

dwarf74 posted:

I'm stunned that the Alas Vegas guy is bad with deadlines and communications.

It's a real bummer. I mean, he finally did get that PDF out and it was pretty great. He got a lot of praise and really seemed re-energized and thankful.

But now, the print books are still in limbo and the other work he's pledging to do is also falling by the wayside. It's a real shame, as he's clearly talented and does seem to care very much about the work. Whatever other issues he's dealing with personally, they must be pretty crippling.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Flavivirus posted:

Hey folks - I know there are some Legacy: Life Among the Ruins 2e backers here so I just wanted to notify you that the pledge manager I'm using for it has messed up pretty significantly. They've double-counted the weight of some items and overcharged, failed to notify people when their shipping costs increased and they needed to pay more, etc etc. I'd recommend you log on to your pledge manager account, check you have as many copies of each reward coming to you as you were expecting, and if you have an outstanding balance to pay or credit owed back to you. Happy to process full or partial refunds as desired, this has been a real headache over the past week.

FWIW, you've been really responsive and helpful in my own contacts with you to figure out what was going on. I imagine you must've had an Inbox overflowing with "Why'd my shipping change" messages but I really appreciated your taking the time to get back to me personally. Also, the Dropbox previews have been superb. Really excited to make this my next campaign to run.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Anyone here have any experience with City of Kings? The reprint is on KS and I'm curious as to what folks think.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
I got really taken by Lifeform after watching the Ricky Royal playthrough of the solo version and then watching the multiplayer playthrough on the KS site. If anyone's wondering, it's essentially Alien meets Fury of Dracula but inverted. It's a bluffing/hidden location game with the crew having hidden objectives to meet before they flee a thinly-veiled Nostromo and an Alien running around the ship killing crew members before they can accomplish those objectives. There's a timer mechanism (ala the Self -Destruct countdown) and depending on how the game is wrapped, the crew can either escape the ship by shuttle with no alien in tow or with the alien in tow, the latter culminating in an Eldritch Horror-ish final showdown.

I'm really quite taken by it, especially since, unlike most other sci-fi horror games of the sort, it's far more Alien than Aliens. It's got 9 days left and I'm unabashedly plugging it because I'd love for a few more stretch goals to be reached. Give it a look if that at all interests you.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Henker posted:

I'm on the fence about it right now, but I should check out the videos. I'm mainly on the fence because there were somehow three alien themed survival horror co-op games announced this year, and I'm thinking about just waiting until all three are at retail to see which one turns out to be the best. The three are:

Nemesis (minis heavy, probably going to end up style over substance)
Alien: Nostromo (has accusations of plagiarism)
Lifeform (looks the most promising imo)

I sincerely doubt you'll see Lifeform at retail, at least in any sort of wide release. I've certainly never seen their last release, Gloom of Kilforth, at a retail store.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

FirstAidKite posted:

Level 99 I love ya but what the hell is this name

The wonderfully ridiculous name of their BattleCON Sailor Moon kinda-joke-kinda-not character?

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Any strong feelings on Mythic Battles: Pantheon? It feels a bit like just buying an entire collection of Malifaux, WarmaHordes, or any other tactical minis game. I'm trying to decide if I honestly think friends would get into drafting a bunch of pieces for yet another skirmish game. It does do some nifty things with the deck-building and the dice, so it's tugging me enough to ask for opinions, but the price point and the Monolith brand are also slowing me down.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
I can't remember the last time I've equivocated this violently between "Buy all $500 worth" and "Nah, don't even bother backing" the way I have been for Mythic Battles: Pantheon.

On the one hand, it actually looks like a fair amount of fun and I think it'd be pretty easy to teach friends. The minis, while nice, are really the bonus, not the draw itself here.

On the other, I've spent more than $500 on Malifaux already and that's probably the superior skirmish game by a mile, albeit the harder teach.

Frak. I'll probably just leave the $1 in the pledge manager and then decide whether another $500 follow it a month from now.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

The Kickstarter for CMON's Cthulhucide: Kill Cthulhu, and Death, is Now Live

Lovingly-crafted cosmic horror and cultist miniatures for only $100. Please contribute because only with your help can publicly-traded CMON Limited bring this project to fruition. Help the creators see their dream of creating Cthulu is Dead: Now Kill Death come true.

I like the snark post, but with boring earnestness, as someone who's actually backed (often mistakenly) a good chunk of CMON's nonsense, this looks honestly terrible. It looks a lot like a weird hybrid of a warmed-over "The Others" (ditching the one vs. many but otherwise looking mechanically similar) and "Arkham Horror" (complete with roll-a-die item/encounter cards). That statuette expansion (the minis can go on the base!) is nonsense besides, although WTF do I know, I bought that dumb Cthulhu horrorclix statuette thirteen or so years ago, so Young Me would clearly have been their target audience.

It's nice to be able to look at it, much like I did at Hate, and immediately hard-pass. Now if I'd only done that for Rising Sun...

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Update:

The comments section at Cthulhu: Death May Durr is amazing right now. I hadn't even initially noticed the fact that their megature pack has been incrementally increased in early bird pledge levels of 100 backers each - each pledge level has been subsequently added at $5 higher and 1 month later delivery and it's already gone from $220 to $245 (presumably $250 is next) and backers are, imo rightfully, pissed.

Just a bizarre marketing move.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

atholbrose posted:

Atlas Games has a Kickstarter up for a new version of Over the Edge, one of my favorite games I've only gotten to play, like, two times. Also on offer, PDFs of the complete line of previous editions, including the novel Pierced Heart. A while back, there was an anniversary edition in a all-the-frills hardcover, which I have, but I like the look of the basic hardcover here, so that's what I'm going for, along with the dice.

Here's my best shot at explaining the game: OTE is a narrative stew of conspiracy theories, alien invasions, weird science, witchcraft and general paranoia, all pushing at each other in the close confines of an island dictatorship, fitted with a loosey-goosey new-agey RPG system that works off of wide interpretation of 2d6 rolls. (Jonathan Tweet is closer to Everway, here, than D&D, is what I'm saying.) It sounds like a mess, and maybe it is, but what a glorious mess, with ideas jumping off almost every page, and some of the best supplements I've ever read. It's a game where I read something, go "well, how would that ever work in a game?" and then realize that I already have a dozen related ideas that will work just fine.

For those who think they might be interested but shied away, as I did, from OTE in their youth for crunchier hobo murder systems, the first update has a downloadable draft PDF of the book for your review. Love it when publishers do that - this'll likely be a buy for me as a result.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Evil Mastermind posted:

Yeah, I got mine the other day. Unfortunately, one of the drawers in the big rear end storage box is stuck so I'm going to need a replacement.

I had the same issue. Real questionable design to have it only open on one side because, of course, with the top tray glued to the back of the box, there's no way to remove it without destroying the box. Already emailed them for a replacement also. I feel bad - I have to imagine this is going to cost them.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Any additional thoughts on Street Masters? I'm a sucker for co-ops.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Any backers here for the first runs of Deep Madness or Street Masters? I feel like I can only really afford one all-in cooperative miniatures extravaganza and both have elements that appeal to me. I'd particularly love takes from folks who backed and/or played both, but I'll take whatever anecdotal nudges you otherwise have to share.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Gloomhaven definitely dominates my complex co-op space and Sentinels is my go-to light co-op with non-gamers or gamers who just want to relax and not think particularly hard. Given that Deep Madness seems to emulate Eldritch Horror in a lot of ways and I rarely play that anymore, solo or co-op, (and sold Mansions of Madness 1st to boot) and that SM, on the other hand, offers an experience similar to Sentinels but different enough with the spatial aspects to make it stand out, I'm leaning slightly there. Man, I just want something with the thematic feel of Deep Madness to finally, actually be an enjoyable game experience.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Mugaaz posted:

Arkham card game? (serious)

I'm worn out on FFG, which is weird to say as it feels like I've supported them my entire adult life. But despite the reviews for AHCG being very good, I just don't have it in me to see the same Investigator faces going after the same Mythos threats in a slightly different bit of packaging.

I loved you Trashcan Pete. I'm sorry.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Bloody Pancreas posted:

Is it so much to ask for a deep horror game that doesn't leverage wasted turns as "unpredictability?"

Preach.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Sefer posted:

I feel like a couple people have mentioned SM being similar to Sentinels. Sentinels is also one of my favorite lighter co-ops, can anyone talk about how SM is similar?

SM is definitely born from Sentinels DNA. It has a Stage (Environment) deck and an Enemy (Villain) deck, both of which take turns playing cards to challenge the Heroes (who have their own unique asymmetrical decks). It does plenty to make itself its own game, from my observation (I'll be a first-time backer), but they properly give Sentinels props for basically borrowing the skeleton of their game to put meat on.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Bruxism posted:

Yesss! I've been waiting for this one. I'm a huge fan of Patrick Stuarts writing and the art and style of this book blows me away. Throwing down for this one without delay.

Word. Patrick Stuart = instabuy.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Any takes on Vindication? Even after watching a play-through I'm not really sure what my feelings are about the game.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Gutter Owl posted:

The system caught my eye, because "version of Tales of the Arabian Nights that doesn't devolve into aimless garbage" is one of those grails I'll never stop chasing (alongside "good version of Betrayal at House on the Hill"). And board game designs led by women are still rare enough to be noteworthy.

But *wow* the writing samples are sending me into diabetic shock. I have a decent tolerance for twee, but trying to sell me on a narrative game with stakes no larger than "intergalactic pillow fight" or "deciding the best place to eat cake" just takes the air out of any enthusiasm I might've had. Storybook doesn't have to mean toothless.

Bingo. I was interested after it got a shout-out from SVWAG but turned away for almost precisely the same reasons. Ah well. Plenty to back these days as is; someone will eventually make a story game I want.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Flavivirus posted:

Hey folks! I'm winding up to launch my next PbtA RPG Kickstarter next Tuesday, and I was wondering if anyone here would like to glance over it. The game's Mysthea: Legends From the Borderlands.

You can check out the Kickstarter preview here. It's missing a video, and a quickstart you can download, but it should give you a good idea of what you're doing here :D

I'm definitely interested as I've backed the two recent Legacy Kickstarters, but the price point is a bit rough - 35 pound (or roughly 45 bucks currently) is a tough ask for an PbtA RPG book these days, even a full-size 8.5 x 11 book. I paid 30 pound for Legacy 2nd but that came with a ton of additional PDF content, essentially 7 extra books alongside the print copy so that helped ease that price point a bit. The Quickstart might generate some more excitement after I've had a chance to look at it.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
I know I complained about the Mysthea pricepoint up thread but, hey, it was a bad day and after some further thinking on it and the promise of stretch PDFs glittering on the horizon, I went ahead and backed. I've been so impressed by both Legacy KS'es I've backed that I can't pass up the chance to support again. Now, if I could just find the boardgame at a reasonable price...

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Tsukuyumi launches Tuesday and I'm intrigued, but concerned by how little info is actually out there on the base game. Anyone KS the first run and have thoughts on it?

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Oh man, it's been YEARS since I thought about Carnival Zombie - I had it wishlisted for the longest time and kept thinking about pulling the trigger and pulling back. Thanks for the notice. Don't know that I'll pledge but going over to look now.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Bloodborne looks pretty... meh. I platinumed the vidjagame but the systems in this thing look pretty bland, both in terms of the combat and the campaign setting. Add to that the fact that the initial stretch goals don't really add anything all that exciting (whose bright idea was it to make the Chalices and their inhabitants -- the absolute worst part of BB -- the first 500k or so of stretch goals?) and I went from being an auto-back to just sticking it on reminder. It'll collect a cool mil easy and start shoveling out add-ons that might make it more interesting but the core conceit seems pretty disappointing.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Jedit posted:

My first rule of thumb with CMON is "the cooler the minis, the worse the game".

That said: you know it's going to fund, so you may as well back for $90 to get your early bird bonus and pull out at the end if it doesn't meet expectations.

Well, maybe that's promising, because the minis are a bit underwhelming at the moment.

You have a point on pledging the EB and waiting it out but some part of me hates to nudge the campaign upwards due to FOMO and then have inertia end up having me back it despite strong reservations about everything I've seen about the game itself.

The way I see it, I'll happily pay the $10 extra later if they introduce enough to make me regret not backing it on Day 1. But I'd rather my default state be not backing than backing, given the weak rulebook to start.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Does anyone have any Too Many Bones takes? It's a big price-point but I'm certainly curious.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Does DT scale well at all (in base form, not adventures) for more than 1 v 1? I'm tempted but I have a hard time investing in yet another 1:1 game when I already have such a hard time getting Battlecon to the table.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Okay, fine. You longtime goons whose opinions I trust (alongside some MvM previews I watched during a long roadtrip) done sold me all of the Dice Thrones. Thanks a lot. I look forward to my competitive/co-op Yahtzee adventures. :)

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Doctor Spaceman posted:

In the FAQ for the Gugong expac they say the KS version of the expac is only meant for the deluxe version of the game.

-edit- I can't read and *I* am the lame.

Memnaelar fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Sep 4, 2019

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Yeah, I'm only in for $15 for SLA, mostly because I own a bunch of the old stuff and want to see the setting updates but... have I ever played SLA? Will I? Do I even want to read more?

Maybe that $15 can be better spent.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

mllaneza posted:

Ultraviolet Grasslands just dropped their digital edition to backers only a couple of months late. It's gorgeous, there's color art on all but a handful of pages. Glancing at art, tables, and maps shows this to be the psychedelic RPG setting they promised. I think you hosed up if you didn't back this.

...or you can buy it from their site in due course?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
The SI KS is commendable for its ethics, for Spirit Island being an excellent game, and for Handelabra making pretty quality ports.

Day one back.