Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Memnaelar posted:

Any takes on Vindication? Even after watching a play-through I'm not really sure what my feelings are about the game.

I like it a lot, though I've only played a handful of games with my wife. It's definitely got good production values and a lot of replayability due to the large number of cards, possible synergies, and the customization with adding and removing the various expansions. It's also accessible enough that I was able to get her non-gaming self to play multiple games with me, so that was a plus too. I always felt like I had a lot of options at any time, and it could be challenging to evaluate all the possibilities in the early game. Once several turns have passed then you'll probably start building some kind of engine to let you shove around all the cubes, so if that sort of thing appeals then it could be pretty enjoyable. I'd describe it as a mix of resource management, exploration, engine building, and a light territory control theme.

My complaints are:
The number of options feels overwhelming at times, and in those situations you can usually just do something randomly and not feel like you made a bad decision.
There's almost no interaction between players, and with only two players even the limited interactions might not come into play. I don't think I ever got points from the region control mechanic when I played with her, and with only a couple players even controlling a unique region can be pointless - I claimed the trait tile, so she just went for relics instead of giving me those 2 VP.
The game can just end abruptly due to the random win conditions you draw and reveal during the game. It's kind of unsatisfying when you both feel like your master plan is about to come together, but then someone scores an extra 2 points and oh whoops the game is over now because one of you already had 3 relics.
It occasionally feels like there are too many mechanics and that you're constantly referring to the rulebook because you haven't visited this particular region in the last few games or don't remember how an empowered draw works.
The minis are cool but unnecessary, though it looks like in the new expansion they'll have more use.
No variance between characters/guilds beyond your random starting companion. With how diverse the minis are, I'd love to see some interesting powers. This also looks to be addressed in the expansion.

Overall I'm still happy with my purchase, and I think some of my complaints will definitely be addressed when I pull my friends away from our Gloomhaven campaign and we can play a couple 4-5 player games of Vindication. There's a ton of game there, the flow of turns is quick, and I always felt like I was having fun when I played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

FirstAidKite posted:

I don't know what about this is getting to me but there's something about this kickstarter that just feels incredibly off to me.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gamefall/up-cat

Can I get a copy of this that’s signed by the full cast of game of thrones?

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Arivia posted:

don't buy the loving rape game

I assume this refers to KDM and not Oathsworn, right? The latter looks interesting and I’m considering backing, but it doesn’t look like there’s anything objectionable at first glance.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

One of my friends from college just launched a kickstarter for his first solo-designed game, Honey Buzz: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/brentdickman/honey-buzz-the-worker-bee-placement-game

I unfortunately haven’t played it, so I can’t provide any first hand reviews, but it’s been fun seeing the games progress through his Facebook posts over the last few years. He also got a fantastic artist for the game, Anne Heidsieck, who’s done illustration for Meeple War, Carcassonne Safari, Romny’s Treasure, and a few cards from When I Dream.

Vidmaster fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Nov 5, 2019

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

CitizenKeen posted:

Was a little more excited when I thought it was called Homey Buzz.

Whoops! Maybe that will be one of the stretch goals...

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

CobiWann posted:

My copy of Trial by Trolley showed up last night. Box was smaller and heavier than I expected.

A lot of fun, especially when my stepdaughter screamed "WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU TWO" as my wife and I made her choose between running over guinea pigs eating ice cream or dogs chasing balloons.

Mine came the other day too. I wish they’d made the box just a bit bigger though so you could fit all the cards and expansions on one side. And also that they’d included some dividers or something to keep the card types separated. I’m looking forward to bringing it to family gatherings though.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Does anyone know anything about Stormsunder?
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1449412950/stormsunder-heirs-of-ruin

It looks pretty cool and I’m kind of a sucker for big mini-heavy RPG board games, but it is also loving expensive and is coming from a company with only one other successful KS project that I can see.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

I only have two Kickstarters that are in a questionable state, plus a couple of non-TG related ones that went sideways. And I guess an honorable mention goes to Star Citizen, though I got my t-shirt from that at least.

Of the two TGs, one is https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/clashofminds/galaxy-of-trian-new-order which is two years past due but supposedly starting production in a few weeks. We'll see if it actually makes it to the delivery stage!
The other is https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/odampublishing/laruna-age-of-kingdoms-0/ which is only one year past due but wasn't really inspiring confidence even before the virus situation.

I also had one that I got lucky on, and that was Exo: Mankind Reborn. I was fortunate enough to get my copy of the game more or less on time (~4 months late or so, which is reasonable). Then the company ran out of money during shipping, and since then has been either asking people to pay extra for shipping or saying they'll get their games as retail sales occur. I don't think they've posted any updates since January.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

CODChimera posted:

Ankh does have a $50 God expansion option and the models look way better than the base ones but after reading the last few pages I'll probably pass on that and Wolfenstein.

I did end up investing a bit in Etherfields, please tell me that will be fine....

Awaken Realms seems to have a pretty consistent track record. I think Nemesis is done with all their language editions fulfillment and Tainted Grail wave 2 is out soon-ish, plus the new Nemesis kickstarter is launching soon. I'm sure Etherfields will be somewhat delayed due to the pandemic, but from their latest KS updates it seems like production should be starting by the end of the month on a lot of the components.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

jivjov posted:

Yep, it's a listed rule

:lol: Off the top of my head, I'm a backer on campaigns from several companies that are doing this right now. I get enforcing it for Vidmaster's 6 lovely RPGs that I launch simultaneously without knowing poo poo about running a kickstarter, but it's definitely a double standard that CMON, Awaken Realms, Petersen Games, etc. can just use it as a board game preorder store with impunity.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

The_Doctor posted:

I just wish this expansion wasn’t so pricey. £95 for a board game is robbery, even if there are some miniatures.

If this goes down like the first, the stretch goals box will be a sizable expansion on its own. That said, Awaken Realms games are also pretty drat expensive.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

(Not a trad game, but there’s probably some overlap here)

10th anniversary leather bound edition of Sanderson’s The Way Of Kings: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dragonsteel/the-way-of-kings-10th-anniversary-leatherbound-edition

Pretty expensive at $200 for the book, but man is that gorgeous.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Kai Tave posted:

It's generally considered pretty good etiquette, if you're going to lean on crowdfunding to get a product off the ground, to give the people who were willing to front you the money first crack at it instead of being like "lmao yeah you should have waited for the Walmart release sucker." As Zurai has stated as well, CMON is not actually leaning on its backers to get things off the ground either, so there's an additional element of them basically using Kickstarter as a preorder service with zero consumer protections but also no actual guarantee you'll get your thing any earlier than if you'd just waited and snagged a copy off the shelf.

At least with CMON the "exclusives" tend to give you a whole lot more crap with your game than the retail release includes. It's still a lovely business practice, but at least it's a small step up from the kickstarters where you get an identical product 6 months later for more money.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

malkav11 posted:

It's insane.

I guess it probably has something to do with them being loaded with art, which inserts usually aren't. But still. Ridiculous. Thankfully, I'm hearing the default inserts that come in the box(es) are pretty good, and can vouch for the one in Tainted Grail being quite usable.

The inserts in all of the original Nemesis games were very usable and organize things pretty nicely, so I don't see any reason why you'd need new expensive ones.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Just got my shipping notification for Aeon's End Outcasts :toot:

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

potatocubed posted:

Hello, time for me to self-promote!

I've just launched The Map is not The Territory which is a collection of dungeon adventures, essays, and mini-games all based off a single map. It's a bit of a weird project and I'm filled with anxiety that it's going to crash and burn, so if you've got some spare cash... why not give it to me so I can pay two dozen authors to write fancy stuff?

This is a really cool idea! I’ve always loved looking at random dungeon maps and imagining the stories associated with them. Backed at the art piece tier so I can hopefully get my doggo incorporated somehow!

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

rydiafan posted:

I did the all in pledge on Darkest Dungeon and now I want to die.

I am also fully aware that if I do not back it, or back anything but the all-in, I will also want to die because of FOMO.

I almost did this but then I remembered that I'd also backed Bloodborne at the FOMO all-in level and two giant piles of video game minis is way too much.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

CODChimera posted:

True, that is a good point

My Etherfields arrived today, its honestly waaaaay better quality than I was expecting. It kinda feels like AR are just really good at this stuff? even their pledge manager is awesome. I don't have a ton of experience with this hobby though, i now own Etherfields & Planet Apocalypse, and i've only really played zombicide(lots of different versions), scythe and some other random games.

I am starting to get a bit concerned with the amount of stuff to paint though

Awesome! I'm really excited for Etherfields and I'm pretty sad that I paid for single-wave shipping so I have to wait until next year to get the game. AR seems to do a really good job with their games though, everything in Nemesis is really high quality.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Hedningen posted:

Instantly backed to have my dog added to the game. Bee Lives is such a great game.

Same! Never played Bee Lives, but this looks really cute and I am excited to have my doggo in the game!

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Vindication is back on Kickstarter with their 2nd expansion, Chronicles: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/orangenebula/vindication-board-game-and-chronicles-expansion

I like this game a lot. It's a fun mix of exploration, tableau building, and cube pushing with some light area control and resource management aspects. Orange Nebula is also a cool company that sends random swag out to people through their newsletter and Facebook community. Their last kickstarter also had a pretty fast turnaround time and is one of the few I've backed that actually delivered on schedule.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

BinaryDoubts posted:

They've already walked back the Elon thing, saying like "we didn't know there was controversy about him," which... ok.

Aren't they a Polish company? I can understand that if you're not from the US and not hyper-online that he might still just be "that one cool space CEO guy" still. Either way, I'm definitely glad they walked it back. Android Buzz Aldrin or something would have been better.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

JazzFlight posted:

"Monster Hunter the Board Game" (aka Primal) just launched.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/reggiegames/primal-the-awakening

Another pricey $300 game if you're going all-in, but I would trust its gameplay more than Steamforged who have the real license. Even so, I'm kinda getting expensive KS game fatigue, so it's probably gonna be a pass for me.

The models all look pretty cool but I don't think I'm excited enough to shell out $300 in order to fight Gene Simmons in dragon form.

(Plus I think I have like 5 different similar games coming over the next few years)

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Jedit posted:

Because it encourages creators to hugely lowball their goals in order to hit 100% faster. This can cause problems later.

Setting my goal at $0.01 and contributing $100 to my own project to get that sweet "1,000,000% funded in 10 seconds!!!!!" banner on my sweet game that I don't have a design or rules for :krad:

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Nice, both my Bloodborne and Dice Throne all-in pledges are showing up today. Think I'm going to need a bigger house :unsmith:

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Holy poo poo Bloodborne is HUGE. Like there's a lot of empty space in these boxes from all the mini trays, but even so it's still just a massive amount of content.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

I understand that it would be a logistical nightmare to pack 10,000+ custom orders, but I still really wish they’d let you pick and choose your promos. I think every pack had 1-2 promos for games I own, but there’s no way I’m spending $250 for a handful of promos. I know I could always sell the extra stuff but :effort:

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

GrandpaPants posted:

Holy poo poo, the difference between early bird and not early bird is $50. Who the hell thought that was a good idea?

Probably the same person who thought it was totally cool and fine to not talk about licensing any of the stuff if I had to guess.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Infinitum posted:

lol the new Terraforming Mars Ares KS wants $45usd for 148 little metal cubes as an add-on.

Counterpoint:

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

There's a new Aeon's End on Kickstarter today, which wraps up the storyline started in AE:Legacy: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ibcgames/aeons-end-legacy-of-gravehold

Looks like it's a massive amount of new content, about the same size as New Age and Outcasts combined, and with a lot of legacy elements again. There's also a branching campaign, though it sounds like buying a reset pack is going to basically be mandatory to experience all the branches - though if it's like Legacy you'll probably be able to get another playthrough with 2 players without a reset pack. I'm a little burned out on AE after basically doing a back to back to back run through Legacy, New Age, Into the Wilds, and half of Outcasts, but it's still up there as one of my favorite coop games and has the most playtime of anything I've managed to get my wife to try. It might actually be my second or third most played board game after Gloomhaven and possibly Eclipse.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

90s Cringe Rock posted:

I'm not really a Batman fan but a solo Batman game sounds rad as hell. Unfortunately, the Kickstarter opens by telling you that it's based on Frank Millar's Batman.

Isn’t Miller’s Batman comic considered one of the best Batman comics? I’ve always heard good things about it but I’ve just started hearing a bunch of people hating on it recently.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Lumbermouth posted:

Getting in on Undead or Alive for cheap pulp western miniatures, so I have a question for those who've done the CMON Giant Box of Minis campaigns. Should I add pledge extensions (ie. shipping, extra boxes, etc.) now or will I be able to add them later in a pledge manager? The FAQ wasn't clear on that.

I was able to add and upgrade in the pledge manager for Bloodborne and Marvel, so it should work the same way. You’ll still be able to upgrade to the inevitable last two days all in pledge that cmon always does.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Leraika posted:

welp, they said the magic words that it was inspired by Invisible Cities, I gotta pledge now. Thanks for this!

Well poo poo, I guess I'm backing too.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Jedit posted:

I'm pledged so I can get EB, but I'm quite prepared to drop. I'm surprised that Academy Games would fumble this, though, they've been very reliable in the past.

Same. It's something I can see myself enjoying so I'm in for now to get the EB perks, but if we don't get more gameplay details before the end of the campaign and a more exciting list of stretch goals then ehh.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Yeah, nothing in the gameplay video was jumping out and grabbing me, so I cancelled. I already have Eclipse and went all-in on Hyperspace so there's not really any reason for another space-based 4X unless it's doing something super cool.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

One of the things is Kickstarter has a cool feature where backers can mash a button demanding an update, so you can be in a position where all you're doing is waiting on a boat for 3 months, but every couple of weeks or so you get an anxiety inducing email telling you exactly how many people have mashed the button since your last update. So either you put up with that or post an update to make it stop for a lil bit. Means you end up saying not a whole lot over and over again

I much prefer the “hey we’re waiting for XYZ and we will give another update probably saying the same thing in a month” approach to the projects that just go dark for 6 months at a stretch. As a creator I imagine backers would drive you insane no matter what you do though.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Hopefully the game turns out well and they Kickstarter an expansion in a year or so and do a better job with the campaign when they do.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

malkav11 posted:

Presumably it's either specifically based on World, or Capcom mandated the title. Or both!

It looks like it's specifically based on World - it features the first two zones from that game and the main monsters you fight in each, plus the three elder dragons that were in the game at launch.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Kaza42 posted:

Ok, but Pandemic is a really solid framework that has shown its ability to be reskinned to other genres pretty easily. Anything where you can experience sudden appearances of a threat which can spread along predictable paths if not dealt with works well on the Pandemic system. Even if this isn't your thing, it's at least not a terrible idea given the proven track record of other Pandemic hacks

What if pandemic but all the pieces are really tall and everything is matte black?

InternetJunky posted:

It's on Gamefound, not kickstarter, but I'm curious if anyone has comments on Wild Assent https://gamefound.com/projects/lazy-squire-games/wild-assent-lavon-rising#/

I'm a sucker for mini games that have decent minis so I'm eyeing this one.

The minis look cool, but like the previous poster said the gameplay just doesn’t look that engaging. I was a lot more pumped about their other game, Stormsunder.

Vidmaster fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jul 7, 2021

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Infinitum posted:

Thunderworks are eating over 100k in shipping costs for Cartographer Heroes and Roll Player Adventures.

It's INSANE.

Yeah, one of the games I've backed just sent a long message about this out the other day. The notable part is:

quote:

In total, a minimum of 7 huge 40’ and 2 small 20’ ship containers is necessary. The cost of one small 20’ container is currently around 8,000 USD and the huge one is around 14,000 USD including all fees on its way such as insurance and customs. It means that overall costs will be 114,000 USD. There will be about 10% more additional games which are planned to be sold after. The cost of stock for backers is then 102,600 USD. The cost increase is 66,600 USD in total.

That's about a 140% increase over what the project was expecting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

gschmidl posted:

Received Orange Nebula's Unsettled today. Excellent components and Game Trayz storage. Hoping to bring it to the table tomorrow.

Nice! I’m really excited for Unsettled and hope you post a review when you get it to the table. I really liked Vindication and the company seems really solid, so hopefully it’s as enjoyable!