Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
So here's an interesting one: 3D Bases.

First off, not bases. Second, I thought "Yeah they look kind of nice, but who the hell wants to lug around 24 heavy plastic 1'x1' tiles to the game store?"

Then I scrolled down and watched the stress test video - the tiles are some sort of hybrid plastic/rubber that you can twist the hell out of and it returns to the original shape with little to no deformation (as far as I could see, anyway.)

They're pretty pricey for the ruins tiles (a 4'x4' table would hit the $320 USD mark,) but it's a pretty neat concept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Zark the Damned posted:

The Space Raiders KS just launched - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/554542735/space-raiders-the-orcs-are-here

This really tempts me, they've done a really good job with the Oldhammer style for 40k, even down to the Khorne Ork, Hybrid, Ambull and Zoat. I really hope they keep this up and do other ranges in the future as it may be a good way of getting affordable reinformcements for my Salamanders :D

I appreciate nostalgia, but man, I've always disliked those early Ork sculpts. I think it was the armor that killed it for me - I kind of like his Grots and Goblins. That Ambull is awesome though.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Vitamin P posted:

CMON have another big-box-of-minis kickstarter up https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/coolminiornot/massive-darkness/description

It looks like a pretty standard dungeon crawler, but the darkness mechanic could be interesting and not needing a games master is nice. I'll probably back just for the big roaming monster miniatures honestly.

When I first saw it, I was like "Ooh - it looks a bit like Gauntlet!" But it's not like Gauntlet. I want to play Gauntlet now.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I do think the others get played, but a lot of the minis sit around. I mean, with Zombicide, there were almost as many survivors as zombies. I finally gave up and started selling the promos on Ebay, as there was no point to having to sort through the morass - play with the stock survivors, and that's it. I also play Wrath of Kings, though there aren't a lot of players, due to a lack of in-store promotion. I'm sure there are quite a few that purchase and never play, but you could probably say that of a lot of games Kickstarters.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

inkblottime posted:

So the CMON premium price isn't too bad from that perspective.
What's the premium? You're getting (at current count) 126+ miniatures and the game for $125-ish. Considering the cost of games these days, that's a drat good price.

inkblottime posted:

I might be rationalizing but still, it looks like fun.
Rationalizing ? If you enjoy CMON's games, and feel the price is right, then that's all that matters.

Just an FYI regarding CMON, I think they are starting to get a little too big, and their community support and customer service is starting to break down. They used to be pretty good with communication, but they've got a lot of pots boiling and people are starting to get a little annoyed at the way the information chain is starting to fail.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jun 21, 2016

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

LordAba posted:

CMoN never had great customer service for kickstarters to begin with.

Eh, I disagree - they were pretty good with information, especially regarding shipping, at least when I had to contact them about anything. Now things show up on your doorstep with late or no shipping notification whatsover. No communication saying "Hey, we're a bit behind, so be patient, ok?", just radio silence. Wrath of Kings has been particularly bad in the support department - complete silence, partial faction releases, no releases for other factions, claims that "We know we've been lacking, so we're going to step up our game!" then nothing. I experienced a three month wait to get a very small replacement part due to a miscast, then finding out they've switched customer support teams, so all of the customer files mysteriously vanished... It's a bunch of small things, but they're starting to add up, and I'm seeing a lot more annoyed people than I usually see regarding their Kickstarters.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jun 21, 2016

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Arivia posted:

Holy poo poo take your hand out of your pants when you sculpt a miniature, goddamn.

That model is a anomaly, and not indicative of the product line - it was a add-on sculpted by known cheesecake artist, Palo Parente. While there are a few topheavy models or an exposed midriff, most are clad pretty conservatively, and many are pretty drat austere for a miniatures game:

moths posted:

A year later I got a refund (for the wrong amount) and still haven't seen the cards they mispacked.
Try contacting them again - when I talked to the CMON guys at Adepticon, they said that their previous service team wasn't actually doing anything, so they got fired. They did get a new team, and they were pretty responsive to my request for a new arm (though they wanted a photo to prove the miscast, which kind of pissed me off.)

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jun 21, 2016

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Zark the Damned posted:

Thanks Ideaspatcher, I hope no-one ever uses you again :(

At least you got notification. I received "Box 1 of 2" for my Black Plague KS, and never got the second box. I had to contact CMON and get a response of "maybe you'll get your replacement stuff sometime after July?" Whatever fulfillment company they used is really top notch, because a lot of people are missing a lot of items - and we're talking base games, as well as bonus stuff.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Kwyndig posted:

Those price tiers are poo poo. The only way to get a full digital version is to buy a physical version, and not just any physical version, a hardcover version, also $40 for a softcover add-on, plus a promise that they'll raise that price later?

Avoid.

I don't know if they changed the tiers, but you get a full PDF version for $25.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

YF19pilot posted:

I really want to like these guys, and I hope they succeed; but dropping the ball on shipping costs is some amateur hour bullshit. Hopefully they'll get their act together and find a solution for shipping overseas that isn't "pay double the cost of the item in shipping".

Shipping overseas from the US sucks balls. Anything larger than an envelope pretty much has a base price of $25 USD, and it just goes up from there.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Henchmania is in the final 48 hours. Looks like a neat little card game with amazing art.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Evil Mastermind posted:

I don't know how popular it is around here, but the KS for the first major expansion for Tiny Epic Galaxies launched and is already like 600% funded.

I enjoyed TEG, but I have to wonder if this expansion would add too much clutter to a decent, quick game. Seems like it would no longer be in the "Tiny" category with all those extra cards and bits.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I was tempted by this, I just couldn't think of enough used to justify a $600 3D printer.

Then you're in luck. This is a version of the printer used by the guys who did the previous printed terrain KS (I can't recall their company name at the moment.)

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Have they actually gotten to that quality level?

You're not going to get jeweler level prints, but you can make some pretty nice buildings and terrain. In the other 3D terrain KS (again, I can't remember the name,) the guys gave their prints a quick acetone wash which really helped to smooth things out on the models, and helped to eliminate any stepping.

Also, what is really cool is that you can take that Monoprice printer and print parts to make it even better!

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

cptn_dr posted:

Wow, gently caress the Oatmeal.

Yeah! gently caress that guy for wanting to make money and doing something he likes! What a dick.

I don't get these complaints - if you don't like it, don't back it. It's as simple as that.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Well, I read that as "gently caress the Oatmeal for using their powerful brand to peddle mechanically garbage shitball games" but y'know, maybe he just hates their very existence.
Well, either way, it's a paying job. You can't hate the guy for doing a job, especially if it pays well. And for everyone out there who likes an in-depth, strategic game, there's also someone who likes Uno or the Game of Life.

Scyther posted:

Did you use to have a Duke's Bros gangtag or something?

No clue as to what that is.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Oct 19, 2016

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Jimbozig posted:

Someone said that Torchbearer KS backers get the PDF of this for free. Is that true?

Either way, I want the physical book, so I backed.

Yes. They already sent out a link for the draft download.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Golden Bee posted:

This is great news for the Rifts Board Game.

Ahem. Rifts>>>>®<<<< board game.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Kwyndig posted:

I can't imagine that it brings in more customers than it turns away in the long run.

I will guarantee you that you are incorrect in this statement. "Limited editions" and exclusives of anything sell like crazy. Look at any CMON game, ever.

There is nothing wrong with offering a upgraded/different experience to something like a boardgame - it's a walled garden in that everyone who plays that version has the same experience. If three of my friends play my copy of the game, we all have access to special characters/weapons/whatever. It becomes a problem when you have something like a miniatures wargame where I might have a super-powerful model that you have no way of countering because you didn't get in on the KS.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Lord_Hambrose posted:

This collection be really interesting, but 15 for the PDF is a little too much for people I have never heard of. I am not afraid to toss 5 or even 10 at a novel idea.

I think $15 is perfectly reasonable for a PDF ruleset, being as the designers have to pay writers, artists, and editors (hopefully.) Most people don't work for free.

Of course, whether or not this PDF ruleset is worth $15 is a perfect valid question.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

GrandpaPants posted:

Stumbled on this post at BGG, regarding Blood Rage's Wildboar Clan (Kickstarter Exclusive):

gently caress Kickstarter exclusives.

That has nothing to do with KS exclusives. That's CMON being dicks about replacing two inconsequential pieces. As time goes on, I grow less and less tolerant of that company and their lovely support.

Here you go: david@cmon.com. Tell that guy to contact the head of the company for resolution. I've had to do that in the past, and it got results.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

quote:

I wiped my a-- after my morning dump with $28 because $28 IS NOTHING!
I can almost guarantee y'all a good portion of these whiny $1 backers are public assistance and dont work at all.
Im not joking
Enormous, plopped down on a futon somewhere complaining over plastic miniaturized toys.
Lol
Virgins.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

With another CMON KS about to end its time to play a game of 'just how many pop culture jokes did they cram into the exclusive stretch goals'. So far we have

I kind of got burned out on the exclusives on the modern Zombicide, but at least they make a little sense there. This time around, the majority of the exclusives are pretty bad and really don't fit in at all. Yet, the backers are raving about them. :shrug: I'll sell mine off on Ebay to the weirdos who want a Dwarf not-Wolverine and pay for the core game.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

BioTech posted:

no way I'm getting those metal coins. Plenty of other options.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JAPAN-5-YEN...ZcAAMXQ-3NRmqMv

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

JackMann posted:

X-Case is at about 40%. I'm really hoping this one funds. The cases seemed to work pretty well when I saw them at ReaperCon, and I think the idea of modular transport/display cases is neat. I'd like to get some into my grubby hands.

People were throwing them away at Adepticon. I don't see the draw - it's a $20 plastic card case that has been repurposed to hold a dozen models?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

malkav11 posted:

I wasn't exactly excited about the latest Zombicide Kickstarter as is, but they just announced a second, standalone core box with a related SF premise as a one-off limited quantity print run as part of the project and I'm just like...really, guys?

Their CEO is 100% behind the Kickstarter model and doesn't give a poo poo about retail or after campaign support. Expect this to be the norm with all their future games.

JackMann posted:

I'm not too proud to admit I'm pledging just to get the minis.
I've never liked a single thing Mantic has done, but, since they are working off a licensed product with existing art, at least this time the minis won't look terrible. I'm almost tempted with this game, considering my love for Hellboy and Mignola.