Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

"I'm going to look into 3D scanning" is exactly what stretch goals are for, but be exceptionally transparent that it's not a guaranteed success.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

You'll probably lose anyone who would just be in it for digital, but those people aren't backing a physical miniatures anyway.

As long as you're completely up front that this is a physical kickstarter and digital is a potential (free?) bonus item, there's no room to complain. Not that it'll stop most people, but still.

E: IJ raises a good point that neither the digital or physical people will likely be happy with a hybrid project - why not use extra money to get one scanned, then use that scan as a proof of concept for a second kickstarter once you've completed this one?

A second KS lets you know the exact scanning costs, you'll have more ducks sculpted, and you'll also have more credibility after a successful first KS.

moths fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jul 18, 2021

moths
Aug 25, 2004

InternetJunky posted:

These look really good. Are there game systems that would make use of these?

Twilight 2000 just got a new edition, Zona Alpha seems perfect, and you can also scale it down for wargames like Team Yankee / Battlegroup NORTHAG / Cold War Commander / or Force on Force.

So, yes.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It looks like someone forced MC to play a story game and he's grown as a designer?

I'm curious to see how this develops!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I like Cook OK as a person; He seems sincere in his enthusiasm and creativity. Often though, I feel like his execution falls into familiar no-risk territory and he just sorta boring-ups an otherwise cool concept.

I downloaded the preview to check out later, though! It looks like he's playing around with giving players much more agency, and it would take someone with industry clout like Monte Cook to get that shift more widely accepted at tables.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The Neverheim guy seems like a shady crook, but I can't bring myself to side with anyone enthusiastic about BGG.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

How did Brexit affect a California based company?

It looks like they were in talks to sell to European owners instead of shutting down.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Hostile V posted:

Is Mothership out of alpha yet?

No, but the "alpha" is essentially a first edition.

E: it's very bare-bones but functional. There's no monster library, and some things are just undeveloped (initiative order comes to mind) so probably hold out for the box anyway.

moths fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Sep 2, 2021

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Thunder Road Vendetta is definitely a disappointment. There's no way the $140 tier is going to have a $140 percieved value when the "figures" look like capsule toys.

You could build a better Gaslands setup for $70 and an afternoon.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The minimalist art was great, but the physical components looked like dollar-store party favors.

It was pretty disappointing. There's a lot of polish on the KS, but this smelled like an overpriced ripoff.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The $100 premium version mothership kind of sucks if you've already got those supplements.

It's a weird choice.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I went in for the deluxe but dropping to either $1 or digital.

There's not enough to justify double-dipping on the supplements I already have, and I'm not paying the $40 fomo tax for a slightly-better looking screen.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I've been half-assedly working on a thread for it but my copy still hasn't arrived.

Did you get a ship notification?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Ok cool, I'll wrap it up tonight or tomorrow.

It's annoying that I haven't gotten or heard anything yet.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The government that exists separate from capital and outside of class is the Sigma Male in this model.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

How did idiots swing from demanding gold-backed currency to insisting on lovely illustrations-backed currency?

E: I don't like any of that but it makes a terrible sense.

moths fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Nov 19, 2021

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I backed out on Mothership. $100 is a piss deal if you already own the books in zero edition but just want the LE deluxe screen.

I still love the art and concept, but even $60 feels steep to double-dip on ashcan zines with undisclosed improvements.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Pretty cool! Shame the poo poo rear end cock-fucker erstatz wizard piss baby cancelled my pledge and told me never to buy his stuff.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

FirstAidKite posted:

Is zinequest the sort of thing that really needs luke crane in order to keep going?

Only Luke Crane needs Luke Crane in order to keep going.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Infinitum posted:

Also things like Rat People as a trope as Always Evil Mooks/Cannon Fodder is an inherently racist take as it implies all Rat People must be killed as they are incapable of Good.

When the rat people are a stand-in for nazis, this loops back around to the NYT articles talking about the cool young and attractive nazis in your neighborhood.

This weird search for the Good nazi erodes the ethical imperative to always be punching them. Possiblity by design.

It's a topic for not this thread though.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Infinitum posted:

Evil can and does exist, just that a creatures background has nothing to do with it.

Sorry, I thought you were talking about something else. This isn't necessarily true though, depending on the symbolic role of the creature in single-authored fiction. It's a safer stance to take in gaming though, where you basically crowdsource authorship and intent.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I backed Frosthaven and forgot all about it! Do we know when it's expected to ship to the US?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It was early pandemic, in my defense.

But :gbsmith:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Could it be the Thunder Road remake? It has toy cars but sounds otherwise similar.

E: This one, but I don't think it's it now that I'm looking again

moths fucked around with this message at 11:57 on May 16, 2022

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Warzone Eternal got cancelled after hitting 139% funding with 19 days left.

The tl;dr email basically says they were underperforming and wanted to retool for a bigger launch. Basically the stated goal wasn't the goal and they didn't reach it

E: honestly it looks like a good move - the initial offering had no starter armies, and a new player needed to know exactly what, of multiple unit boxes to buy. So maybe the underperformance was a red flag of more serious campaign issues.

moths fucked around with this message at 11:32 on May 28, 2022

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Does pulling out early and relaunching have a track record of success?

I feel like it primarily communicates that you're unreliable. Which isn't something backers respond well to.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

theironjef posted:

Also Mutant Legion is boring. Five human factions, one of which is just "Japan wanted to be feudal again" along with one undead faction. The only thing that even looks mutant about it is those Razide things, which frankly look like someone messed with the .stl file of a Maxx figure, and are like space undead. Where's the mutants? Why is it called that?

It's semi hard sci-fi, which is pretty appealing from the days when not everybody was into aliens.

It's pretty much cyberpunk taken to its illogically stupid levels, and served as the tone template for much of where Warhammer ended up. It's also a vehicle for Simon Bisley art, which helps.

The whole game takes place in our solar system. the corporations and church are the main factions. The church is, of course Space Catholics - but the Space Lutherans are still at large on the apocalyptic Earth along with some monster hunter guys and a few other minor factions.

It definitely suffers from 90s sensitivities, but it's also got a lot of that same happy meal toy logic. One of the dark entities employs mobs of cyborg toddlers who beat you to death with rattles.

I haven't seen the movie but it has Ron Pearlman.

It would really loving benefit from being released as an all digital platform - print it yourself miniatures and PDF rules would eliminate a lot of the overhead that kills new or returning miniatures games.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Aw that's a bummer. Ive read that it takes place in the past of the Warzone universe, which is apparently a much less awesome time.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah it's just a gimmick. I personally don't believe the 3D printer market has reached saturation yet so you won't be getting the maximum return on your kickstarter if that's all you offer.

It completely eliminates warehousing, shipping, and manufacturing costs - as well as delays and unpredictability by dealing with third parties.

You still need to design figures, but from some creators' perspective it's a great direction. I agree that it's frustrating when there's no alternative, but it's definitely not a gimmick or going away.

Offloading manufacturing to the consumer is a win for everybody. I pay substantially less than I would for a pre-made figure, the designer gets to pock more of it and sell the design forever without worrying about stock levels or storage.

But it's annoying when there's no alternative. I feel like there's room for a "shapeways that isn't trash" somewhere in this market to fulfill distribution.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

There's nothing wrong with that shade, you're 100% correct that the problem was establishing expectations with a render.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I've been on that loving path since 1987:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

If you've got a 3D printer and want some fantastic historical terrain, Printable Scenery is running Country and King.

There's also a guide showing how these were painted, which is definitely worth checking out.