Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I'm enjoying 7th Sea so far, but I'm only 100 pages in. There's still some Wickery in stuff like the Inismore section or people's opinions on Vodacce, but it's relatively subdued.

I haven't really dug keep into the rules yet, we'll see how that goes. Yes, the dice mechanic is dodgy, but I don't think it's a deal-breaker in and of itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wasn't having much trouble reading it on my phone, though I have a large phone.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

That's flatly wrong. The very first book (the Players Guide) had rules for ship design and sailing. Pirate Nations was also one of the first supplements.

It's not that it didn't have anything to do with seas, it's that it was bad at justifying their use as a plot element, given it took place on a single continent without a single isthmus. That was the key problem. The new map goes a long way to fixing that.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Well, after reviewing both Play Dirty books, I had to sit down and read 7th Sea's GM section... and... it's pretty good, overall. There's a lot of good advice and it stays relatively focused. It, unfortunately, still has some Play Dirty moments in there ("Death Scenes", "Punishment and Failure", "Bringer of Conflict", and "Order" are essentially cribbed from those books), but it has a thoughtfulness that's usually missing from his GM advice sections. It suffers a little from One True Waying as he tends to, but most of the advice is solid and useful, and it's one of the better introductions for new GMs. Overall I think it's really positive, and is certainly is far better crafted than either of the meandering, self-congratulatory Play Dirty books.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I unjokingly would really like to see Star Wars run with Spirit of '77, but I'm perhaps unique in that.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Well, to be fair, nobody has ever thought of a Fallout RPG before, it's a pretty unique idea.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

People are more likely to buy something they know won't disappoint them over anything that might have a risk of disappointment irregardless of the quality of the two products.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

It could be an excellent, standout example of its genre, but even if it is, trying to convince people that you're just playing it for the rules seems like an uphill battle.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

True story: I was at Origins, waiting for a friend, when I see John getting dinner at the local Vietnamese place. And while I see him, my phone updates with a notification for my DTRPG code.

Well played, Mr. Wick.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Covok posted:

Most likely, it's to retain their demographic. People like DCC which means it's less risky to make MCC like DCC, is most likely the logic.

This is all I can think of when I read a Goodman Games advert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGT4-31irXg

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Baron Snow posted:

I was pretty sure that game came out in the 80s and was called Teenagers From Outer Space.

Beat me to it.

It was essentially an American interpretation of old harem anime and was very much inspired by Urusei Yatsura, so it depended a lot on how amusing you find that sort of thing.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

SpikeMcclane posted:

Ninja High School is lovely whether or not it is anime and Ben Dunn once swiped $20 from me at a con.

Ninja High School was generally just a product of unabashed early anime fandom, so once all the stuff it was swiping from became widely available in America it became more than a bit redundant.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

dwarf74 posted:

Why Pelgrane isn't just using RPGnow I have no idea, but I got my pdfs.

Well, it gives them a much deeper cut of the profits, at the cost of their customers' convenience.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

The third book from the Savage Worlds Rifts kickstarter dropped its PDF today. So for those of you who were worried that Kev would somehow sink that ship, it thus far remains unsunk. There's still a good chunk of stretch goals yet to come out, but the game is complete and playable now.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Kwyndig posted:

The real question is does it combine the worst parts of Savage Worlds and RIFTS or is it actually decent?

It's got some really cool interpretations of the some stuff but has real issues with scaling and balance. It ends up being a give-and-take where Bursters are finally the terrifying firewalkers they should be, but then you have Glitter Boys that can't take a single hit from their own gun. I've been talking about it more in the Palladium thread, tho.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Wouldn't they have to redo all the designs, molds, logos, etc.? Or are they not even there yet?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Red Metal posted:

hey, so what ever happened with that game that sean k. reynolds kickstarted?

It's gone to an open playtest recently, but is running about a year behind schedule. Given SKR has been hired by Wizards and also and working with Monte on Invisible Sun, I it would seem his attention's been more than a little divided.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

InShaneee posted:

I don't think this game looks very good!

I think people are missing the worst part.

It's a Monopoly knock-off.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Also hilariously unaware of the originally left-wing slant of The Landlord's Game.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

It's not all that weird as it turns out.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Yeah, Diaz would probably be inoffensive if he wasn't an orobouros of self justification. Can't put out a comic more than once a month? That's fine, just say so! Want to write a comic about your sci-waifu? That's fine, just say so! Want to make bizarre insults at industry professionals? That's... not fine, but well, he could at least get two out of three if he was honest with himself.

Kai Tave posted:

Hentacle was one of Desborough's earlier projects actually, so that's not anything recent. It is, by the way, a Japanese schoolgirl tentacle rape themed card game, just so you know.

Tentacle Bento had a big banner at the Ninja Division / Soda Pop booth at GenCon, because those guys are similarly allergic to learning lessons.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I think if a group is willing to give me $200 to run a game, I'll take that money, not buy Monte's game, and instead of that, put a chunk of that into making tacos for my players while I run whatever. Would my players like Monte's game? I don't know. But I do know they'd enjoy tacos.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Well, the as of yet untitled Rifts® Board Game upcoming kickstarter has been officially announced, look forward to the as of yet untitled Rifts® Board Game.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Kwyndig posted:

Did they ever get all the Robotech they owed backers out the door, or is this a case of Kevin being a jerk again?

It's being licensed to a Palladium freelancer (Carmen Bellaire) who's putting it out through his company (Rogue Heroes) as a first-time project.

So, its technically not Palladium doing the game. As for Robotech seeing a completed release:

:haw: :lol::lol: :haw:

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

"Order of the Vance."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfelqZpapZA

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Jedit posted:

In actual Kickstarter news: Mare Nostrum has finally begun shipping to UK backers. Just in time for it to arrive while I'm away for four days.

I have a friend that works for Academy Games and though it's not my usual thing I've really enjoyed what I've gotten to play of it.

Evil Mastermind posted:

There's a new edition of Villains & Vigilantes currently funding, but I don't know enough about V&V (apart from it being the first superhero RPG back in the day) to really comment.

It's fun to play around with as an old "liquor and comestibles" sort of game but it's very much a game where you could roll up a hero or a zero, since character creation was really random. Icons was basically its spiritual successor. but V&V would have to have some major shifts not to be a just a historical novelty. And I say that as somebody who's played it, not just read it.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I'm not sure what you'd bullet point an initiative system for? The only way I can think of one being "blood pumping" is if you'd have to arm wrestle the GM to go first.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Sirlin's always been solid with delivery, Puzzle Strike 3rd Edition was one of the fastest KSes I've seen.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Electric Hobo posted:

...That sounds hosed up!

It was very much so, as best I understand it.

Six months after that (about a year ago, now), Mikan reemerged to mention that that supposedly the rules and most of the fluff for Last Stand: Reinforcements were complete and in to the project editor, and they were looking to complete the final art pieces. Heavy apologies were issued for them vanishing off the internet for the aforementioned reasons. A month later, they posted that a death in the family had delayed things, but that there would be an update next week.

That's the last that was posted, so the current state of the project is a mystery. I don't know if something else happened, but it's closing in on the year since the last update. Mikan went off the radar again, so I don't know if something else happened, if the harassment saw a new cycle or what.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Fenarisk posted:

To be fair, and I know I'm gonna be absolutely burned at the stake for this, it's not an excuse to just run off with the kickstarter money/not fulfill obligations.

I get frustrated with the usual goon explanation because it actually flies in the face of things Mikan said more than once regarding the Kickstarter. I find it to be a oversimplification and frankly fairly tacky to treat them as a voiceless TG martyr instead of an adult faced a terrible situation who made their own choices on how to deal with it.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Well, given a choice of buying that notion or what Mikan actually posted to the kickstarter updates, I'll go with the latter. Maybe you know something I don't, and frankly I don't necessarily need to know the specifics of what happened or is happening, it's none of my business. But I can only make judgements based on the facts I have.

Arivia posted:

Seriously, all of you shitheads whining about Last Stand should shut the gently caress up. You have no idea what happened, and you need to move on.

The fact that things turn this virulent this quickly doesn't help matters. It really doesn't.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I don't know why you need to do the whole 'it's none of my business' thing, you clearly think it is and I'd love to hear what KS stuff Mikan said makes you think this is exactly the same as GMS or whatever the point here is.

I'm having a hard time responding with all the words you're stuffing in my mouth. I understand you don't want to take what I type seriously, tho, so I think we can cut this off here.

Serf posted:

Yo, how much are you out for the Last Stand KS? If I Paypal you the money will that get you to shut the gently caress up?

Sure, I'll PM you later if you're serious about it.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Arivia posted:

I believe her last act was to release the entire thing free as CC, but do not take me as an authority on that.

It was released for free but only privately. If there's a CC license associated with it, it's not seemingly included as part of the final compilation. If any goons want a copy of Last Stand and associated games, though, just PM me (Mikan gave explicit permission for folks to do so, so that should be fine).

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Nuns with Guns posted:

I'm tempted to kick a dollar since the free rules primer was unlocked for all backers. i assume that won't be out until right before release tho, so who knows if that's worth it. I'm definitely not tempted to throw down $197.00 on the full rules that won't even be provided for me for a year or $349.00 just to get the early access rules.

I don't get paying extra for a half-finished copy of work ahead of time. That should be basic proof of process for backers if it's done at all and people that charge extra for it ought to be ashamed.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Finally, all the rules you'll need to play Munchkin in GURPS in one single package. Steve Jackson has finally come full circle.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Nuns with Guns posted:

It's pretty clever if you have the fans to leverage it, honestly. Gating access behind at least an extra $152 means only dedicated fans or people already interested in the pitch will jump for it. They'll be the ones playtesting it and talking about how COOL and INNOVATIVE the game is while all the scrubs have to squirm with envy, plus the severely limited playtest pool will already come biased in favor of the game and its rules

I'm not saying it's not a smart move.

Just a shameful one.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Car Wars Arenas was similarly "here is product, buy y/n?". It was exactly as adverted but only of interest to deep devotees.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Yeah, if nothing else, Penny Arcade: Gamers vs. Evil and the Penny Arcade UFS set were both messes at best and bad indications of future releases. You'd think they'd care more about the games they put out, but apparently not. It's too bad, because it's certainly not the the worst fantasy setting they've hinted at over the years, you probably could do something decent with it, but I've learned to expect :effort: at this point. It'll fund, though, it's already detonated like a shitbag in summer.

Granted, having heard some rumors how Gabe treated licensees in the past, perhaps a light touch is best for everyone. Hopefully he's lived up to his broad apology from years back, but I stopped paying attention a long time ago and decided not caring was easier than being disappointed again.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

gnome7 posted:

I remember being excited about Thornwatch like, 5 years ago, when I was still following Penny Arcade for some reason, and when it was going to be a 4th Edition D&D heartbreaker with an interesting theme/setting.

Yeah, the original card-based character design RPG would have probably been... a first-time designer's attempt, but it could have developed into something interesting. I always felt like they were wanting to stretch their wings beyond PA but the risk is so high for them I can't imagine them actually doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Echophonic posted:

That game looks like it would be fun once.

Looks like a simple "take that!" game, which is probably fine for kids but not terribly interesting or innovative to hobby gamers.