Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Ropes4u posted:

Anyone had an opportunity to look at Anachrony?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/438141406/anachrony

If I wasn't buying a house I would have backed it.

Trickerion was a well run kickstarter and produced a solid game (that could have used another round of playtesting to catch some obvious rough bits )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

thespaceinvader posted:

Clothes are not exempt. Kids' clothes are, adults' ones aren't.

And theoretically, non-luxury items are exempt, whilst luxury items pay. But cake is not a luxury, whilst biscuits are.

And helicopters are not a luxury, whilst teaching facilities are.

Our country is hilariously hosed.

Isn't it the other way round with cakes and biscuits which led to the legal thing to get Jaffa cakes classified as the biscuits we all know them to be

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Do people have any opinions about Word Domination? There seems to be lots of hype but it sounds a bit basic. Then again everybody loved Paperback, albeit only very briefly.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

NTRabbit posted:

Mantic's Star Saga scifi dungeon crawler is up. Placeholder art on the pledge graphic for the box and tiles is pretty low rent right now though, hopefully they fix that up pretty fast.

I'm sure it will be an impressive box of stuff but there's no way I'll back after how unimpressive Dungeon Saga was

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

I mean, yes, but isn't this clearly just Stranger Things, with the numbers filed off?

It is. I'm surprised they didn't hold off launching until the second series starts though, the interest has died down quite a bit already

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Jedit posted:

Also catastrophic stupidity on the part of everyone who backed it. It's been less than a month since the project runners announced that the expansion comprising something like 25% of the first project's money was cancelled without refunds, then they proceeded to name every pledge level in the new project after the cancelled expansion. Nobody backing that POS is going to get what they paid for.

Incidentally, someone ran the numbers and all the high-end completist levels require a pledge of sometimes up to twice what the rewards are worth. I think at last count the $1666 level would cost something like $900 if you pledged $1 and bought it all as add-ons.

It was cancelled with a refund

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Reign is a pretty cheap and decent sounding bluffing game. The player count caps at seven which is a bit lower than most.

I'm torn, maybe it will be too random? It needs more details of the cards really. At least they have confirmed the very badly written rulebook will be getting another look though

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Empires of the Void II, from Red Raven Games/Ryan Laukat (Above and Below, Islebound, Eight-Minute Empires, City of Iron, etc.) just hit KS.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/953146955/empires-of-the-void-ii?ref=category_newest

There is one pledge - $60 for 1 copy of Empires of the Void II, Deluxe Edition. No other tiers, which is kinda refreshing. The Deluxe Version (which will be $80 at conventions only outside of KS) just has metal coins, a Making Of book, and some 30mm miniature (I don't know what it does). Retail price for the standard version (sans metal coins, book, miniature) will be $60.

I know nothing about this one. I'm definitely backing Near and Far when it comes up but I'll have to take a look at this. I like Laukat's stuff typically.
Having read the rules this seems a bit simple and bland. What am I missing?

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

GrandpaPants posted:

In more TG Kickstarter news, Brass by Roxley Games (Steampunk Rally, Santorini)

Just a reprint? Or an expansion.

Tell me more i was looking for an economic game and i didn't realise there was one based in Lancashire!

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

The City of Kings started its campaign and I have to say I'm intrigued, though the entry fee's a little steep ($74 USD). It's like the board-game equivalent to a PC-RPG/MMORPG (also kinda like Heroes of M&M) which I know, sounds terrible, but in practice it at least looks pretty fun.

It's a cooperative game wherein you explore a map (determined by which scenario/story you're using and randomly arranged) using a worker placement mechanic, and each player has a hero character and two workers. The map has to be explored (by moving a worker or your hero to the tile, and then exploring) which will reveal quest hubs/resource locations/etc. You want to level your character up and gain equipment etc. and complete the objective before the countdown mechanic results in a loss.

There's a preview by Man vs Meeple that explains it better than me.

I hope I won't get yelled at for noting that it kinda sorta reminds me of Gloomhaven, despite not being similar mechanically - just in terms of scope and number of components (but still not looking to be too fiddly).

First-time game designer/KS'er so obviously factor that if you're considering it...

The map tiles are really ugly and don't match the visual style at all. They look like they've been clipped out of Warcraft 2.

Is it placeholder art?

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

I'm disappointed that they aren't launching Birmingham as an expansion. The redundancy makes it a little pricey

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Jedit posted:

I'm sure it would go down well if they put a sticker on the box saying "This is not a complete game! You will need a punchboard's worth of tiles and a few player discs from BRASS to play!"

Are you unfamiliar with the concept of expansions or ...?

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Had to bite the bullet and back Brass: Lancashire. I've never played Brass but I know it's solid, and that art is too good to pass up.

Plus how many games include the nightmare hellscapes of Blackpool and Oldham?

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

A copy of Burning Suns just arrived on my desk. Only three or four years late. All enthusiasm has been sapped by the cluster gently caress if a rules PDF sent around about six months back

At least I'll have some pretty plastic spaceships to play with

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

darnon posted:

Mantic has Star Saga scheduled for release this fall, a sci-fi take on their Dungeon Saga game.

Does it promise to be a better game or is it just based reskin?

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

GaistHeidegger posted:

I backed Star Saga hoping on improvement, but our table of players thought Dungeon Saga was just dreadful and we gave up on playing it anymore after about six scenarios. Hopefully Star Saga makes substantial improvements, and hopefully those improvements can make Dungeon Saga better by proxy.

Yeah I played the first couple of tutorial maps which were incredibly tedious then I looked at the full rules and was gobsmacked at how half arsed they were.

That said the tiles and minis are the major expense, so they should be able to start from scratch to make something fun and sell a few decks of cards and a book

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

illectro posted:

I've been a big fan of Star Realms, so seeing the new 'Star Realms Frontiers' kickstarter was an instant pledge for me. Unlike previous Star Realms & Colony Wars sets this offers a solitaire mode and up to 4 players, so it looks like it could be a good first set.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1172937197/star-realms-frontiers

Poor value though( at least in the uk with the $15 shipping). Judging from the current prices of their sets it's the equivalent of ~£25 of value charged at £35. The stretch goals would need to really blow up to make it worth backing now rather than waiting for retail.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

bandaid.friend posted:

Founders of Gloomhaven, a euro spinoff of Descent-y Gloomhaven, is adding a cute connection to the original game with a stretch goal

People are apparently quite upset about "having" to now buy founders to get this secret and massive and essential Gloomhaven expansion.

I imagine after market sales will probably do quite well

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Flavivirus posted:

I've just launched the kickstarter for Legacy: Life Among the Ruins 2nd Edition!

Three years after this was invented for a design contest on this very board, I've made a new edition with better rules, a vastly expanded book and lovely art. If you're interested in a game that fuses the wide scope of REIGN or Crusader Kings with the vibrant post-apocalypse of Gamma World or Hyper Light Drifter, or if you liked the first edition and want to know how we've made it even better, go check out the kickstarter page!

This is incredibly tempting even though I know I'll never actually play it.

A generation ship game that you play across the generations and involves drawing maps? That is ticking some boxes.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

I'm amazed at how the funding for Founders of Gloomhaven has ground to a halt. I was expecting it to blow up.

It's the same thing with Argent which really limped along to get funded (although I think most of that was the awful shipping costs)

Have we got peak boardgame kickstarter?

Actually looking at the lovely GoT Game I suppose not. You just need to scoop on some plastic

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Zark the Damned posted:

Wanted the second edition of Argent but was dissuaded by ridiculous shipping costs?

Well, here's some good news for you! https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/level99games/argent-the-consortium-2nd-ed/posts/1953578?ref=backer_project_update

(TLDR: Some reward tiers now get free shipping to certain countries / the EU)

That's a bit of a turn around from the initial update saying there was nothing they could do

Hopefully it'll give them a bit more momentum

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Hiro Protagonist posted:

It looks terrible, and I kind of want it in spite (because of?) it's terribleness.

I thought that about the film. I think I lasted nearly quarter of an hour

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Kai Tave posted:

Someone with more knowledge of how Kickstarter operates help me out here, is the "we'll just make the funding goal a single dollar!" plan actually something Kickstarter allows you to do? I feel like this has been done before, I want to say the Penny Arcade guys did a KS like that at one point, but I don't know if they've closed that loophole since.

Yeah Penny Arcade did it and it was in violation of the T&C's at the time. It also wasn't raising money for anything in particular. Kickstarter have a loose approach to enforcing their own guidelines.

If you aren't already famous then the just setting a one dollar target won't work

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

djfooboo posted:

Played at Gencon, it's deceptively light, just has a TON of fiddliness. It's certainly a game that didn't trim any fat in favor of elegance.

Fiddly is the common thread between Mindclash's games. I still love Trickerion but I do sort of wish it had been through a trim to avoid the pre first turn silent planning ten minutes and the set up time

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

neaden posted:

A popular coffee chain in Michigan was named Beaners for 12 years before the owner finally changed it. He said he was unaware that it was a slur. I guess he never googled the name of his own store or talked to a Hispanic person.

I'd never heard the term until just now

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Empires of the void 2 just arrived. I'm not sure there was a single Kickstarter update since the campaign finished outside of a link to give my address so it was unexpected. This also means I don't really remember what the hook was that got me to back

It does have a design booklet though with some discussion around mechanics and theme and so on which is very nice

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

potatocubed posted:

There is at least one company that does D&D-themed scented candles, if anyone's looking to add that sort of element to their next Kickstarter.

I think it was a Kickstarter too

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

malkav11 posted:

Green Room.

Which punk was blue ruin? Hobopunk? Revengepunk?

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

My wife saw this and got extremely excited:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hannahshaffer/good-dog-bad-zombie-a-cooperative-board-game

Is there a verdict on it? Good / bad / dumb ?

Given it's use of "hooman", we can safely say bad

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

cyberia posted:

This looks like it's going to be an amazing trainwreck until the creator rage quits and takes it down.

That has to be a joke

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

GrandpaPants posted:

Trickerion has an expansion and collected deluxe edition on Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/438141406/trickerion-dahlgaards-academy-and-collectors-editi

Unsure whether one of the stretch goals will be an artist who can draw faces.

The ugly portraits mashed up with pretty design is sort of all their calling card now

I looked at the expansion but I'll pass. It doesn't seem to do much with the game issues, which are mostly how it promotes AP and you can get lots of downtime in 4 player games when you all want the same trick.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Has anybody in the UK received their copy of Founders of Gloonhaven yet? There was an email saying shipping had started but that was a couple of weeks ago now

Mojo Jojo fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jul 1, 2018

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Yeah I was surprised when Mint Delivery arrived out of the blue

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

silvergoose posted:

Did anyone back Empires of the Void II? Got it in a library sale and am very curious how good it is.

It's got nice component quality and the theme is fairly unusual (players all have their own Star Trek style enterprise and toole around building influence with local races and having little skirmishes)

I have only played it once but some of mechanics seemed half baked, mainly there was no obvious reason to use certain actions (scavenge or salvage or something similar was just a trap choice as far as I could tell)

I'd like to play it a couple more times but I'm not sure it quite ends up being the little story generator it tried to be

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

I think I've seen twelve sided d4ipodes in the past

It's probably worth a quick check to see if they exist to avoid tooling costs

Edit: yes, looks like Chessex make them along with various others. You can also get eight sided ones too

Mojo Jojo fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Sep 28, 2018

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

nesbit37 posted:

They exist, but China isn't ordering them from chessex, they have to make them themself and they dont have a mold for them already.

No, but I assume Chessex , and all other dice sellers, manufacturer in China

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

food court bailiff posted:

Is Catacombs any good? I have had 3rd edition sitting on my shelf unplayed for ages and it always looked cool but holy poo poo the playmat upgrade tier is twice what I paid for the base game, and I can't imagine that unless the game is stunning.

It's a fun idea but it is incredibly badly balanced so that the DM player will really struggle not to win.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Explain the plot map mechanic to me

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

jivjov posted:

To anyone on the fence, Jordan Draper's second Tokyo Series Kickstarter only has 48 hours left, and he's doing a live stream RIGHT NOW showing off all the new games

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jordandraper/tokyo-series-tabletop-games

TSUKIJI MARKET is supet appealling but not at that price point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Remora posted:

I really wish Hyperspace had just printed 4-6 different colors of generic spaceship minis instead of insisting on every civ having bespoke minis. I would love to play that game, but I'm not paying $70-120 for an incomplete product, and I sure as hell am not dropping $300 on mostly spaceship minis.

:sigh:

It doesn't help that the game is so ugly