Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Taggart would probably be a decent hire, and a step in every coach in the Big 10 being connected to Meyer/Harbaugh and every coach in the SEC Saban

He'd be a great hire which means he can probably do a lot better than purdue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Spack lucked into a QB transfer who was way too good to be playing FCS for his two big years, otherwise he's been pretty whatever. If you're gonna go to that level there are lots of guys with a better overall resumes just in the Missouri Valley.

On the other hand he would restore Purdue's proud mustache culture

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Regnevelc posted:

I don't know the background of that guy - but if he is just maintaining the old guys status quo and it's only been a couple of years, then yeah, I'd agree.

If he has been doing it for 4-5, then he should get a look.

This will be his third. He's kept them at a very high level but when he got the job they'd already won 3 titles in a row. Craig Bohl (now at Wyoming) was the guy who really took them to the next level

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

General Dog posted:

There's a reasonable chance that Idaho is going to have two bowl teams this year, so you tell me.

This would perhaps be relevant if Iowa and Iowa State were in the MAC or Conference USA.

Iowa having two power five conference teams is definitely a weird anarchism. Both got lucky in that the conferences they joined
100 years ago wound up being really successful. ISU obviously would almost certainly not be in a major conference if they were being drawn up again from scratch. Iowa probably would be since its historically a top 30 or so program but the market size would definitely be an issue. If you look at most of the surrounding states (Minnesota, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Missouri) all of them only have 1 FCS football program and most of those states have a better talent pool to pull from (significantly so in the case of Missouri).

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Absent Bill Snyder Kansas hasn't even really supported one

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
look at all your losers who aren't up on your message board rumors

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Purdue isn't a good job but Hazell is one of the worst power conference head coaches in a long time and people shouldn't try to excuse how awful he did there. Like Purdue will probably never be a power but he inherited a program that had been at least consistently making bowl games for a long time and completely cratered it. They're not gonna win a conference title but 6-7 wins on a regular basis is totally doable.

Doing something different from the rest of the conference offensively is a good idea. Tiller being one of the first power conference coaches to run some variety of the spread was a big advantage that helped them a lot early. If Drew Brees had come along a few years later after the Air Raid really blew up he'd have probably wound up staying in Texas (in fact I think his only other major offer was Hal Mumme era Kentucky). If they can get Brohm (who should be in more demand but might not because his record this season isn't all that stellar and he's really young) that'd be perfect, especially since he's been coaching in the same general geographic area.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Oct 20, 2016

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

DJExile posted:

I'd kind of forgotten about Brohm.

This means you are ignoring my posts and it's very hurtful

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Henchman of Santa posted:

Dantonio is never leaving. He's extremely tied to the Midwest and he's 60 years old, plus he's in total control at a school that doesn't really put a ton of pressure on its coaches, let alone their best in history.

Yeah in addition to being old, the idea that he'd be a good fit in Texas just because he was born there is really weird. He's spent his entire career in the midwest. He doesn't have any significant recruiting ties in the area, is a bad fit for the conference/region schematically, and doesn't have the personality for what the Texas job requires. He's a way better fit at MSU, where he can easily recruit guys who fit his preferred style of play, can act all grumpy about being overlooked, isn't expected to play the affable politician role, and doesn't have to look over his shoulder every time he has a rebuilding year

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Sonny has been openly grumbling about Cal and flirting with other jobs from like the moment he got there and makes way more sense at Baylor on pretty much every level from a football perspective. I also don't really see why Cal would work super hard to keep a dude who is a pain in the rear end and whose ceiling like is 6-7 wins. I think that's the most likely hire for Baylor by far.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

DJExile posted:

Ah, didn't know that.

Last year he definitely interviewed at Mizzou and I think maybe UVA. He also reportedly tried to get in the running at South Carolina.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The desire to hire Gruden as a college coach is the most insane loving thing

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
wait is texas also too good for nick saban now

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Gruden would probably be fine as a recruiter. He's a super famous charismatic dude who could flash a super bowl ring and he seems to connect well with players during the draft stuff. He would be a goddamn disaster on the field. His over complicated bullshit offense with the 5 million play playbook is the exact opposite of where college football is going and of what everyone does at the high school level in Texas.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Tyrannosaurus posted:

If Texas whiffs on their next coach how many years does it put them behind?

Until whenever they make their next good hire. There are so many natural advantages there a good coach should pretty much always be able to have some success. They made several lovely hires between Royal and Brown and Mack still got it turned around pretty quickly

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

ChinaBob posted:

Yet your "pipe dream" is Ole' Saint Nick. Interesting.

nick saban was a head coach in the NFL for barely two years around which he has sandwiched arguably the greatest college coaching career of all time are you really so dumb that you don't get the difference between that and a career NFL coach

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Thermos H Christ posted:

Yeah he's the one "pro-style" guy I would leap at and it's only because he's Nick Saban. I couldn't bet against Nick Saban succeeding. If I'm choosing between guys we'll never get in a million years, I have to go Urban over Saban just because his style fits so much better with the players coming out of Texas HS football. Then again Saban gets whatever recruits he wants from anywhere so yeah.

Saban isn't really pro style anymore anyway, have you watched Bama this year?. I'm sure he wishes he could be, but after a season or two of throwing a hissy fit and crying about how the rules needed to be changed to get rid of hurry up spread offenses whenever he lost to one he accepted that it was where football was going and adapted.

DrunkPanda posted:

Everything except the lovely fan base & boosters that demand to get sucked off at all times by the head coach. And will throw you to the wolves if you have one sub-10 win season in a 10 year span. Texas fans are their own worst enemy, they SHOULD be able to attract any top name, but their fan base and their ridiculous expectations are the reason they don't

What exactly is the evidence that they can't? Strong was one of the hottest coaching names when they hired him. They're not gonna hire Saban obviously, but they're gonna have their pick of guys who are actually interested in moving

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Hawaii is not good but they're way better than I thought they'd be. The rando they hired seems like he might be ok

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

punched my v-card at camp posted:

He could definitely hold out for a P5 job, but personally I'd love to see if he could get something interesting going in Fresno. It's not a sleeping giant by any means, but I could see Kiffin turning it into a regular contender for the G5 New Years spot solely because of how abysmal the MWC West Division is outside SDSU and the amount of talent floating around California. Although he couldn't get it done at USC, so who knows.

It might be easier at Fresno. The level of competition is pretty awful in the MWC outside of like two schools so just being able to outrecruit the rest of the conference can go a really long way.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Korranus posted:

Vintage actual talking points used by vintage actual people

Person, in this case

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

DJExile posted:

Adam Schefter is citing unnamed sources that says chip isn't leaving to go back to college, so take that for whatever it's worth

He was also one of the louder voices saying this about Harbaugh if I recall correctly. NFL people have a hard time accepting that anyone could possible not want to work in THE NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Penn State is pretty dang good.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Hoke is gonna be a really awesome dline coach and recruiting coordinator for someone next year

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

C. Everett Koop posted:

That someone will probably be in NAIA but still.

I would take him at Iowa so fast

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Do you even care if your FIU? Worst case you...go back to pretty much being FIU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
60 is right around when you should be trying to lock a coach up for at least another 10 years or so imo

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Spintzel posted:

Isn't Oregon floating around the idea of 10 mil to get a crazy good coach to come there?

Darren Rovell says Phil Knight wants to do this and honestly the thoughts of a shoe executive might be the one area where Rovell actually has a source and is worth listening to

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Joey Freshwater posted:

Why in the world is Les pitching anything to Purdue? Shouldn't the meeting consist of Les going "hey yeah I'll come coach there" and Purdue going "wow really? like this isn't a prank or anything you'll come coach for us?"

I dunno if he'd be super high on my list if I were then honestly. He can recruit better than they have but there's still a pretty hard cap on how well you can recruit there and he sure as hell isnt gonna out game plan people. They should be trying to do something different offensively not to be Wisconsin but with bad players

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
If I were a LSU fan I would be mad about Jaret Lee getting benched for no reason every day. That 2011 team should be remembered as one of the best teams of all time

Latter day Les also had a bizarre habit of recruiting dual threat option QBs and then forcing them to run the most boring pro style offense possible

MourningView fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Nov 19, 2016

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I think he's probably gonna have a lot of options beyond Purdue.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
already mad about kiffin getting hired by like kentucky or some poo poo and kliff taking the Bama oc job

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Korranus posted:

UH needs to get Herman a new contract, like tonight. The new buyout needs to be whatever the principal is on TDECU Stadium, plus the deed to 300 or so acres in south Houston.

Oh buddy :(

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Korranus posted:

I'm not even mad. Houston's gonna be fine. There will be plenty of coaches lining up to take Herman's place and plenty of money to pay for one.

Yeah y'all definitely at the top of the pecking order for G5 jobs and probably above a lot of P5 jobs. I'd much rather be at Houston than Purdue

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

LeeMajors posted:

Probably a better starting cast than Texas tho

I'm not sure actually. There's at least a promising QB at Texas. Charlie started recruiting well recently and they're super young

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Tyrannosaurus posted:

All of Strong's hard work is going to be credited to whoever takes over his job.

can't believe people are praising jim harbaugh when brady hoke clearly did all the work

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

The word I've heard is he wants to get 200 then turn it over to his son.

KState doesn't want to hire his son and he is going to stay and outlive them all out of spite

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

DJExile posted:

You might be making 2 different points here but for the record, PJ Fleck is a whole lot of things but in no way is he a "CEO-type" coach.

I dunno I'm sure he has a preference for what type of offense and defense he wants but he doesn't seem like a guy who meddles a lot with the play calling or the minutia of game planning. He was a career WR coach before WMU and his big strengths are recruiting and selling the program

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
it's a dumb contract but he's been good and they weren't gonna fire him anyway so whatever

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Barry Switzer owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Nooooo, Skip's La Tech teams have been fun as heck I was hoping he'd just stay there.

Also if you're going to hire a CUSA coach why not Brohm?

• Locked thread