Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Spacebump posted:

USCalifornia Les stealing LSU recruits would be hilarious.

That would be a hoot to watch, but I'd bet a whole bunch of money they go the incest route yet again. I've never seen a school as completely obsessed with inside hiring as them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

DOOP posted:

And yet Pete Carroll was basically a rando to USC

:iiam:

Yeah it seemed to start with Carroll. I get wanting to maintain the momentum he gave them, but they were so loving locked on getting his former guys and seemed to pass up a ton of far better options for it.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Thermos H Christ posted:

Does it, though? I feel like we were specifically looking for something different than that when we hired Strong. Like every coach at a major program, the HC at Texas has to do a couple hours of media per week during the season and gladhand with boosters from time to time, but I think that aspect of the job gets really exaggerated. What Texas fans and boosters and donors and administrators really want is a team that kicks rear end and wins football games. You deliver that without any major scandals and everyone is pleased as punch. If you can't deliver that, no amount of charm and polish is going to stave off the inevitable for very long.

drat near every major program requires it to a certain degree, some more than others. Brian Kelly is a pretty good example. Dave Clawson is very much that "CEO" type as well. You really have to be one at most private schools.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Greg Byrne was asked about RichRod supposedly being on the hot seat:

quote:

“From time to time I’ve been asked some ridiculous questions about the media. I think that one just went to the top of the list.”

so that answers that

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MourningView posted:

Eastern Michigan is making a bowl this year, haters

They'll beat Miami and should beat Ball State but 6 wins in the MAC isn't a guaranteed bowl bid.

Granted it might be now that there are more bowl games but there have been a few times 6 and 7 win MAC teams got snubbed.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

skaboomizzy posted:

A Twitter guy says Darrell Hazell is out at Purdue. Every agent representing a MAC head coach just grinned spontaneously.

Not so sure about that latter part. Purdue is about as dead end as it gets these days.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

There's also exactly 1 coach worth pursuing out of the MAC right now and Fleck assuredly has better suitors than Purdue

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Does Purdue have anything in the way of facilities either?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah I can see purdue getting some up and comer from FCS, maybe one of the Sun Belt's guys if there's anyone there worth taking but I don't know who's who there.

Les and Fleck can and will go to far better programs.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Regnevelc posted:

What is Bob Stitt up to these days?

He's at Montana. Went 8-5 last year, currently 4-1.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah I wouldn't want to be the next guy into Purdue, if I wanted to go to purdue (god that's a weird phrase to say) I'd want to go after someone else managed to get them stable

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah if fleck doesn't leave Western after this year then he's either the worst interview of all time, or something has gone horribly wrong.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

mercenarynuker posted:

I wouldn't brag about Rutgers football if I were you, either

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah Hazell probably isn't as bad as his record indicates. Purdue clearly doesn't give a drat about the program anymore. It's there to pull the BTN dollars into the school and that's it. poo poo, Indiana State is probably out-recruiting them at this point.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

swickles posted:

I think I am ready for the first A-11 offense at the NCAA level.

I've been ready for this for years now

make it happen, purdue

E: oh boy big shock the ncaa hates cool things

quote:

The scrimmage kick formation is allowed on fourth downs under NCAA rules and on conversion attempts, and a few situations which define a scrimmage kick formation with an additional requirement that "it is obvious that a kick may be attempted." It is otherwise not allowed for most normal plays, making the original A-11 impossible to use on an every-down basis.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I'd kind of forgotten about Brohm. I don't think he'd be a bad fit at all at Purdue. I'd imagine it'll take some selling on the new AD's behalf though.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Pakled posted:

Harbaugh leaving the 49ers when he did was even more inexplicable than Chip Kelly leaving them now so I'm willing to believe it's possible.

From what I remember it wasn't all that inexplicable, didn't Harbaugh butt heads with York and the SF front office a lot?

E: BENNE :doom:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Kelly signed a 6-year extension last year and they're still paying Charlie Weis through December 31, he's not being canned this year but yeah he'll be on a far warmer seat next year.

There's some talk going around that Fresno State is looking to bring Jeff Tedford back into the game. I think he's up in the CFL somewhere right now.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

Was it Tedford who had some sort of really bad health problems recently?

Yeah he had some heart surgery a couple years ago I think.

E: Wiki says a coronary angioplasty, had 2 stents put in an artery.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Babers is a good Xs-and-Os coach but he is a 100% dog poo poo awful recruiter.

ASK ME HOW I KNOW :manning:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

FB Scoops posted:

Western Michigan: Already the highest paid head coach in the conference, Bronco athletic director Kathy Beauregard told the Detroit News that they’re working on another increase to PJ Fleck’s salary, noting “Don’t just assume that we can’t keep him.” Fleck made $800k in 2015.

I get that you basically have to say these things but come on now

E: gently caress it, i'm getting this off my chest:
Dino Babers is a kickass offensive coach, no denying that. That being said, his success at BG was entirely with Dave Clawson's recruits. BG's woes this year aren't just because we have an all new coaching staff with relatively little experience. The players still here are dogshit. The defense is a 100% afterthought and clearly was with Dino as well, after we had a spectacular one under Clawson.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Oct 25, 2016

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

wernox posted:

My friend that played for him at BGSU said he blew the whole travel budget remodeling his office.

I heard some rumors about that too but the Sebo Center was up and running before he arrived. I've been up in the offices a couple times and they don't seem to have changed much since Clawson's days.

Then again I could be missing it. Nothing would really surprise me anymore.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The USAToday coaching salary database received its annual update today

If you haven't fiddled around on it, you should. It's pretty neat.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Why would Sonny want to go to a worse conference where he's likely not going to make any more money than he is at Cal?

E: and especially to a program that's clearly going to be under fire for a while?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

General Dog posted:

Seems like a good fit culturally (no offense to Sonny)

Does sonny have a habit of telling rape victims to go gently caress themselves or something

maybe I missed it

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MourningView posted:

Sonny has been openly grumbling about Cal and flirting with other jobs from like the moment he got there a

Ah, didn't know that.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Real Name Grover posted:

So I'm just gonna throw this out there

Given their success this season to date, if it's sustained, would Baylor consider retaining Jim Grobe, who is squeaky clean?

I'm sure they're at least considering it but the plan from the start was basically to have him just be an interim until everything blew over.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

swickles posted:

Phil Knight ready to go full on SMU.

yep, and it's gonna be fun as hell to watch :munch:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Adam Schefter is citing unnamed sources that says chip isn't leaving to go back to college, so take that for whatever it's worth

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MourningView posted:

He was also one of the louder voices saying this about Harbaugh if I recall correctly. NFL people have a hard time accepting that anyone could possible not want to work in THE NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE

Yeah that sounds about right.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

FB Scoops is saying Jeff Tedford is close to finalizing a deal to take over at Fresno State.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Alaois posted:

I'm ready for a new generation of Tedford QBs

hell yeah :cool::respek::cool:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Tedford to Fresno State has been made official. $1.6mil/year

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

USA Today's database has Jimbo making $5.25mil, for the curious

E: A link for those who don't have it, they just updated it a few weeks ago

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Spacemonkey57 posted:

but I feel like Jim Tressel was trending down around 60 since he was really lording over an absolute poo poo Big Ten.

I get the feeling this was less his age and more that he could not get away from playing "The punter is the most important member on our team" Tresselball. He was playing for B1G championships and Rose Bowl bids, and the game started passing him by, ultimately culminating in Urban destroying him in the 06 championship. Ohio State's always had talented teams, I don't think anyone would argue that, but christ they were boring to watch and like you said, it didn't help that the rest of the conference was garbage at the time.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah if you don't think coaches blow through that money in quick order then I have some bad news for you. We see it like crazy in the financial industry.

Houses everywhere. Assloads of credit card debt. Terrible business ideas from friends and relatives. More houses. Boats boats boats. It's basically the same as those rags-to-riches-to-rags stories you see so often about lottery winners, but usually a slower burn.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Travis Haney of 24/7 Sports is saying Baylor wants either Tom Herman or Chad Morris to be their next rape apologist.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

so is this haney guy just saying whatever the gently caress comes to mind or what

FBScoops posted:

Purdue: Les Miles is pitching Purdue on bringing Steve Sarkisian with him as offensive coordinator and Mike Locksley as run game coordinator according to Travis Haney of 247Sports. Meanwhile, Haney reports P.J. Fleck is interested in Purdue but has his eye on the North Carolina job should that open.

Also Western michigan to purdue is a lateral move at absolute best.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

General Dog posted:

Purdue plays in the Big Ten and gets the corresponding money that comes along with that.

Sure but it's also a completely dead-end job.

Granted it helps a little that they're in the worse B1G division but I can't see them ever doing better than 4th in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Mike_V posted:

Who are the good Defensive Coordinators that will be available this offseason?

I'd all but guarantee Mike Elko from Wake Forest goes somewhere.

E:

Darren Rovell posted:

$19,675,000: Cost for 3 seasons of Charlie Strong (16-20 record), including Louisville buyout. If he gets fired, his buyout is $10 million.

• Locked thread