Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Best move for Baylor is to retain the current staff in hopes that Briles alone is enough to satisfy the public. Make Phil Bennett interim HC next year (he has HC experience), and then see if they can bring back Philip Montgomery from Tulsa to be the new HC at the end of next season.

Probably not tenable given the desire to distance themselves from Briles' legacy, but from a football standpoint it's probably the best outcome fans can hope for. I guarantee that anybody they could bring in from the outside this offseason isn't someone they would want to commit to long term.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 23:03 on May 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

swickles posted:

Also the report indicates it wasnt just Briles, but other coaches doing this poo poo too.

Yeah, I caught that

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Hard pass, also he showed his dick to his team. Talk about mixed messaging!

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

C. Everett Koop posted:

James Franklin - Penn State. The line on Franklin was that he could coach, considering he had success at Vanderbilt at all places. But 14-12 in two years, being slammed by your QB on the way out the door, and life in a vicious division makes you wonder if Franklin's success at Vandy was due more to a power vacuum in the SEC East than his coach prowess. It also makes you wonder if Happy Valley's a place where you can win if both B.O.B. and Franklin fail out in short order. Digging up JoePa's corpse is an attractive idea to some, but not a route to victory unless you're a card-carrying member of NAMBLA.

To say that Bill O'Brien "failed out" seems tremendously uncharitable by any metric.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

D.N. Nation posted:

Think I'll do a quick one for the SEC.

HE'S ON FIRE

Kevin Sumlin- Texas A&M: Revolving door at QB, annual post-October collapses, coaches making asses of themselves on Twitter....it's a mess.

I guess hot seat's definition can vary, but if he wins 7 games this year (in the regular season) I don't think he gets fired. The buyout is pretty pricey, especially with oil prices what they are right now, and the Baylor stuff has has really helped get our struggles out of the spotlight.

Call me defeatist, but I think 7-9 wins a year in the SEC West is a pretty reasonable level of success for us; barring lucking into a generational, Briles-level innovator at HC I don't see us getting a lot higher than that at a consistent level. Not at this juncture anyway.

Also I'm going to go out on a limb and predict Tom Herman isn't the next head coach for either Texas or Texas A&M.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jun 6, 2016

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Korranus posted:

HEATING UP

Willie Taggart, USF - After pretty much sucking rear end for two and a half years, Taggart had USF wrecking poo poo in October and November on the way to 8-4...and then Western Kentucky mugged them in the third quarter of their bowl game. As a result, Taggart's not on the hot seat but it's year four and it's time to stop all aforementioned sucking of rear end lest he be put out for the next up-and-comer in the American.

COOLING OFF

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

General Dog posted:

I guess hot seat's definition can vary, but if he wins 7 games this year (in the regular season) I don't think he gets fired. The buyout is pretty pricey, especially with oil prices what they are right now, and the Baylor stuff has has really helped get our struggles out of the spotlight.

Call me defeatist, but I think 7-9 wins a year in the SEC West is a pretty reasonable level of success for us; barring lucking into a generational, Briles-level innovator at HC I don't see us getting a lot higher than that at a consistent level. Not at this juncture anyway.

Also I'm going to go out on a limb and predict Tom Herman isn't the next head coach for either Texas or Texas A&M.

As an addendum to this, I don't think things are going in the right direction for Sumlin, but I don't think they're going in the wrong direction fast enough that he's in serious jeopardy this year barring a total meltdown. What Chavis has done with the defense has done a lot to cover a lot of the rest of what ails us.

All of that plus a couple of probably positive coaching changes this offseason, and I think things will get slightly better this year, even if it isn't reflected in W-L record.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jun 16, 2016

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

pillsburysoldier posted:

No it doesn't. He's overrated as hell.

Who's rating him highly? Seems like it's pretty much the consensus that he's been okay but there are some worrisome trends and he's probably unlikely to sustain the level that Kelly established.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

C. Everett Koop posted:

Chad Morris - SMU. Year one wasn't great but the Pony Express bottomed out in 2014 after June Jones got tired of life. Morris was seen as a good hire out of Clemson and will need some time just to find bodies. Bowling this season is probably out of the question, but 4-5 wins this season isn't an unrealistic expectation. Baylor's downfall will certainly help as some talent should fall through the cracks and into Morris' spread system.

Baylor's downfall may help Chad Morris get a new job, at Baylor.

Or maybe at his alma mater if SMU happens to have a breakout year.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

MourningView posted:

There are a lot of reasons to think he's promising but maaaaaybe let him win more than 2 games in a season before bumping him up to a Power 5 job.

Sure, but my thinking is that if Baylor or A&M are looking for a coach next year, they'll probably need to try to buy low. Baylor because it may be a tough few years coming up combined with raised expectations, and A&M because oil prices.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

C. Everett Koop posted:

Frank Wilson - UTSA. I think Wilson's only the second coach in Roadrunner history after Larry Coker, or at least as a major program, but I don't feel like looking that up to confirm/deny it. Either way, it's another Texas program to compete for the scraps the big boys leave behind, except said scraps sometimes turn out to be pretty drat good. They still playing home games in the Alamodome when they probably couldn't sell out the Spurs arena?

Larry Coker was in fact the first coach in program history. A 4-8 squad averaged 27,500 in 2014. They averaged 35,500 in year 1, 2011. Not bad for C-USA!

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Grittybeard posted:

Sumlin gets a boost from that win even if they almost blew it, because of dumb preseason rankings.

It's also not impossible that UCLA is still actually good

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

If we're talking NCAA, Chicago went 32 years with zero coaches

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Joey Freshwater posted:

Why do people think that Saban is leaving anytime soon? Just because he's been so successful there's not much else for him to do?

He's not that old and could easily coach for another decade.

Much like God, he may grow bored of his creation and abandon it for something more interesting

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I've gone deep down DaCoachO rabbit hole; these vids of him at practice are strangely hypnotic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahR5yPj0-UM

Guys, I think I've found my ASMR trigger

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

kayakyakr posted:

A&M is a strange case. They started both 2015 and 2014 5-0 and lost 5 of their last 8.

I'm not counting Sumlin's job as safe yet and finishing 8-5 at this point probably gets him fired.

Nobody gets fired after the bowl game

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

fast cars loose anus posted:

"Sources" tell ESPN Charlie is gonna last the year and maybe be back

I don't know where he stands now, but I feel pretty confident that if Texas loses to Baylor on the 29th he's loving fired.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

DuckHuntDog posted:

I can see them keeping Strong and trying a new DC if they end with a winning record, but nothing looks all that promising right now. Does it make sense to keep a head coach at Texas with three consecutive losing seasons and few signs things are really improving despite good recruiting classes?

It seems like a bad sign if they can't have a breakout season in such a weak (or "even" if you want to be charitable) year for the Big 12.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Tom Sellout posted:

Texas would be okay defensively if not for all the missed tackles and busted coverages.

Unfortunately, I could say that for a lot of lovely defenses.

This defense would be really good if it wasn't a bad defense.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

He's probably not worth what it would take to pry him away from Clemson, but I think Dabo would be a nice fit at Texas.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Thermos H Christ posted:

Watch Charlie Strong win like 7-8 games and come within a hair of a co-championship in a terrible B12, followed by a booster uprising that causes him to get fired after a lot of infighting, leading to an epic PR disaster with Texas getting taken to task for being racist and mistreating Strong and having a totally dysfunctional political culture around the program, which in turn causes Herman to decide he doesn't want to step into the middle of that. Followed by a shitshow of a coaching search led by an embattled placeholder AD, culminating in the hire of Lane Kiffin for $10m a year after he initially turns us down.

Please don't post my fanfic unattributed.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Grittybeard posted:

I don't see anything in there about fracking or apologizing for rape.

I'm like Neil Young, or Kanye, I go through different phases.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Scionix posted:

aggy is on the eternal scoreboard having lost to case mccoy's dumbass face. thank you.

It hurts, but I can tell you need need that more than we do right now. :unsmith:

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I'd like Willie Taggart to go somewhere I pay attention to, because he looks cool as gently caress

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I love my dead gay rivalry

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Thermos H Christ posted:

Ok so I'm starting to think Lane Kiffin could be an upgrade

You are loved

http://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Adun posted:

Can Notre Dame keeps a guy who loses 7+ games?

It's really easy to keep him actually, he's under contract.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Maxwells Demon posted:

Chip Kelly I've kind of always felt like he prefers the NFL: Doesn't have to do recruiting, no elbow-rubbing boosters, and one game can actually be the actual, real super bowl instead of calling every game the super bowl.

So I don't think daddy's coming back.

Could Bryan Harsin be Nike Money'd from BSU to UO?

Seems like hiring Harsin would just be like hiring a poor man's Helfrich. He's another relatively unproven caretaker of somebody else's program.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

They should go outside themselves a bit, but still get someone with experience in the Northwest. Hmm, I don't think Ty Willingham is up to much these days

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

They could also follow Washington's lead and get another Boise State guy.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Regnevelc posted:

Real talk, what about the North Dakota State guy?

You've got to be really leery of the guys whose head coaching accomplishments have mainly come from maintaining someone else's program.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

LLCoolJD posted:

Can Miles recruit at an elite level at any P5, or just while owning Louisiana? If the former, they could do worse.

It's been awhile, but Oklahoma State was pretty dead before Miles got there and got them rolling.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

whiteyfats posted:

Serious question: Does Iowa have the population to have two middlin' to good teams?

There's a reasonable chance that Idaho is going to have two bowl teams this year, so you tell me.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Thoguh posted:

There are other states like Oregon, Oklahoma, and Kansas that have similar populations and also support multiple teams. But in those cases the schools are in the same conference. As far as I can recall Iowa is the only state that both has small population and schools in multiple conferences.

To be fair, Kansas has never really supported KU and KSU at the same time, it's always been a zero-sum (or negative-sum) game between the two.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Real Name Grover posted:

That was truly a turning point for the football program

E: So KU started the 2009 season 5-0. That was the season Mangino was canned for abuse.

How many games have they won since? 13

All because that one player couldn't take some good-natured ribbing about his alcoholic father.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

So do we all still think Sonny Dykes to Baylor is going to happen?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

DJExile posted:

Why would Sonny want to go to a worse conference where he's likely not going to make any more money than he is at Cal?

E: and especially to a program that's clearly going to be under fire for a while?

I don't know, but they hired an AD away from Missouri under the same circumstances. Also he's making $2.75 million at Cal. Hell, Baylor pays their women's basketball coach $2.1 million, they've got money. Seems like a good fit culturally (no offense to Sonny); I think he'd play better to Texas recruits than California recruits. But maybe he's happy now, I dunno.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

dphi posted:

What's the deal with Kendal Briles? Any talk of him taking the HC job at Baylor at some point? If not, an HC job elsewhere?

I think regardless of your feelings about the guy, having him as HC at Baylor (at least right now) would be pretty weird for all involved parties. Plus, this is only his second year as OC, I think he's going to need to prove himself as OC somewhere away from dad before he gets any talk for an HC position.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Thermos H Christ posted:

One name that I haven't heard once in all this coaching search talk is Sumlin, and I'm not sure how I'd feel about him, but he can obviously recruit, his whole flashy persona kind of seems like a better cultural fit at Texas than at A&M, and I think someone with his background could be a natural fit in the B12. Plus the tears from next door would be pretty epic, assuming this is the year he doesn't collapse down the stretch. I dunno.

Haha go for it man. I like Sumlin, but if you want to drop 8 million a year on him I'm sure his buyout can get us somebody pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Thermos H Christ posted:

Hey man I didn't say it was gonna happen, or that Texas fans think it will. I said it's a name I haven't heard once, from anyone. I mostly just thought it was odd that there's a slick flashy CEO coach down the road and it seemingly hasn't crossed anyone's mind that Texas might want to talk to him.

It's because he's an Aggie

• Locked thread