Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

lol, he's not likely to bottom out next year. we have the core part of this team coming back, with an actual quarterback in the wings in will grier.

If he's an actual quarterback why was he at Florida?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Don't even think about it Baylor, please God no

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

$10 million a year don't buy what it used to I guess

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

The next few years are going to be tough for them no matter what, but this seems to be as good of a hire as Baylor could have hoped for, good on them. I was starting to think they weren't going to get anything like a young up and comer to put his career on the line to come there.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Lasagna Pilot posted:

Texas recruiting is a tough scene right now, Baylor might not be back for a very long time.

If by back you mean 10 wins a year then yeah, but that was always dependent on Texas being down. In the Big 12 as currently constructed there's no reason they can't be at least middle of the pack or better most of the time. Even when Texas is good there's plenty of three stars to go around. As long as they're patient for 3 or 4 years they shouldn't go back to the early 2000s dark ages for long.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Dec 6, 2016

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Grittybeard posted:

Yeah good coaching and Texas recruits that slip past the big guys would probably get Baylor along just fine in the middle of the pack. I mean it's most of the way Mizzou survived when they were in the Big 12 and about the only thing K State has ever had going for it. Iowa State and Kansas try to do it with...results that aren't as good.

Having said that Rhule is behind the 8 ball in like 5 different ways and it's going to take a while to get anything at all up and running once the current guys are gone.

It's going to be huge if he can limp along with the little that they have left in the tank and get bowl eligible next year and maybe not worse than 5-7 or 4-8 for the next couple of years after that.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

It's the perfect time for the sad bearcat, but I don't have it on hand. Somebody help me out here.

[goatse.cx]

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Kudos to Major Applewhite, future head coach of

*spins wheel*

Texas Tech!

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

On the Baylor front, Rhule has hired David Wetzel, fairly successful coach of Reagan High School in San Antonio and maybe more importantly current president of the Texas High School Football Coaches Association, onto the staff with his role TBA. Seems like a shrewd move since lack of Texas ties is going to be his biggest weakness coming in.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Leaf Lock posted:

Florida fans have such a hateboner for Meyer to this day that they do everything except outright call him bad (only because they can't) so it's easy to get that impression. It's as if 2009/2010 were just last season to them. I understand there isn't much to talk about since then.

Seems like they'd have a little more respect for the greatest coach in program history

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Kansas beat Texas because they have a problem with interracial marriage.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Grittybeard posted:

I can't figure out if this dumb joke is about Texas or Kansas.

It's a dumb joke about Charlie Strong

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I don't think Harbaugh would leave Michigan without finishing the job

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Jim Levitt is a serial abuser who shouldn't be working, but hey,

Winning talks, bullshit walks

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I am pretty sure that it was more than just an incident, given that the administration didn't have a hate boner for him and infact he'd built the dang program.

I don't really know anything about the Leavitt thing, but all of those criteria apply to Mike Leach at Tech, who is almost universally recognized as having gotten A Raw Deal.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

MourningView posted:

Kiffin hired Kendall briles as his OC in case you had forgotten why you hated Lane Kiffin pre Bama

I'm glad.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

The better question is why they fired Friedgen

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Phil Bennett will be a nice get at DC for some G5.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

KKKLIP ART posted:

I don't know if I would file this under recruiting or coaching, but a recruit asked Hugh Freeze about the NCAA investigation and Freeze replied " when you’re that big and out there with faith in Christ," he’s like, "what do you expect? Jesus got nailed to the cross."

:stare:

You're not gonna get the fans out without handing out a few fishes and loaves

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

swickles posted:

He does, but you inevitably get the douche vs. evil arguments which is why I lean towards Claeys. He didn't actually commit a crime, but decided to cape up for the players.

Cape Life

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

MourningView posted:

Teams can play the FCS teams they had already scheduled before the rule was made, they just can't schedule any new games against FCS teams. I think Iowa still has one more game against UNI left.

The rule should have an exception for rivalry games.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

So Cal's just giving up on ever being able to recruit?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Real Name Grover posted:

I wonder to what extent Dykes was on Baylor's radar

As head coach or OC? I think he interviewed as HC, but Rhule had already made a hire at OC before he got fired. As an OC I think he's a great get for anybody in the Big 12.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Thermos H Christ posted:

Knowing that we likely could've had our pick of Sonny Dykes, Doug Meacham, or Rhett Lashlee makes the Tim Beck hire look that much better I gotta tell ya. I mean I guess it makes sense, given that philosophically Tom Herman is probably closer to Bill Snyder than Mike Leach, but still.

I suppose we saw Herman producing results elsewhere and hired him to do his thing here, though, so we might as well go ahead and let him do it. Why is it that when someone I acknowledge as an expert does something that seems like a bad idea to me, I assume they're wrong?

Let Herman do Herman

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Would Bama be interested in a slightly used Noel Mazzone?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Cthulu Carl posted:

Hmmm a "laying pipe" joke, or a joke about how the pipes seem to be sitting in raw sewage....

Zoom and enhance...

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

DJExile posted:

The hilarious thing is they wanted to join the Big 12, then complained to the conference that they were travelling so much.

They were getting on the first helicopter out of the Big East regardless, but I imagine they assumed future expansion was going to bring the conference closer to them. Long term it probably still will, but they may have thought it would have happened by now.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

DJExile posted:

Bill Snyder's been diagnosed with throat cancer. He released a statement

Included in his will will be a hand-written note congratulating cancer on a well-fought battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

DJExile posted:

David Cutcliffe has been extended through 2021 at Duke. No financial terms disclosed.

I thought I'd heard he was in declining health at some point, did I just fall for some negative recruiting?

• Locked thread