Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

pillsburysoldier posted:

Who will be the first coach fired of the 2016 season

Wildcard answer: Charlie Strong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.
So is anyone looking at Mike MacIntyre yet, or does he need a bit more sustained success at Colorado to go anywhere?

Honestly, he continues like this at CU for another few years, he would be a great hire for Oregon or another PAC-12 team.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

As far as Charlie Strong goes, the worst thing about it for me is that I think Charlie Strong could win a national championship at another school. If Texas were to be so lucky as to get in the playoffs in future years, I could see them getting beaten by Strong once he's figured out a place where he can be successful like he was at Louisville.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

LLCoolJD posted:

Boulder, Colorado isn't a terrible place to live. I don't know what kind of a budget they have. Short of an offer from USC or some other top echelon job, it seems like as good a place as any to dig in and stay if the money's good. Nice homefield advantage, too.

Isn't it pretty hard to recruit in Boulder, given how far away it is from California and the facilities at CU? I don't know if more kids are interested now that there's legal weed.

However, as far as the city itself, Boulder is one of the coolest cities in the US for 9 months out of the year.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

I know it's a lean year, but I would be awfully nervous about hiring PJ Fleck as a coach of a top program. He's a great recruiter, but I would be worried about a guy who in a conference like the MAC can immediately outrecruit the competition without having to rely on your schemes or coordinators. I would be worried that he's another Brady Hoke whose talents are uniquely suited to less competitive conferences.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If the speculation about Kevin Wilson's cavalier attitude toward injuries is true, then good on IU for taking corrective action and not ignoring it.

Democrazy fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Dec 2, 2016

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

Sab0921 posted:

Mac was pretty successful at CSU and inherited a really lovely situation at Florida (I remember reading something about only having 5 scholarship OL when he started). He might be fine in a couple of years.

The only abject failure I can think of from the Saban tree is Muschamp (though Kirby Smart isn't exactly trending in the right direction).

Hal Mumme has the most successful coaching tree of all time.

Speaking of Hal Mumme, why is no one in SEC considering bringing back the air raid? When Mumme tried it it was (relatively) successful, and I can't imagine that a more modern version wouldn't be a nice change of pace from all of the super conservative offenses in the SEC

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

big money big clit posted:

LSU had games where they scored 42, 45, 38, 38, and 54 points after they fired miles. Nine SEC teams scored more than 30 points a game (and LSU wasn't one of those, though they might have been if they'd fired Miles earlier). Only 4 Big 10 teams managed that. The ACC did better, with 7 teams that scored about 30 ppg.

There were actually a lot of really high scoring SEC games this year, and have been for the past few years. Every conference has some terrible teams with terrible offenses, but most of the west has pretty good offenses these days, and Tennessee put up a lot of points as well.

It's not really about whether teams can score or not. Of course some teams can score, and the SEC in recent years has gotten much better about incorporating Meyer-spread elements into their offenses. But that's different from deciding to do something which no one in the conference does and thus few coaches are prepared to defend.

I'm mystified why teams like South Carolina and Arkansas, teams that will probably never be able to win the SEC based on talent alone, aren't taking more risks.

Probably the closest the conference has seen to a true Air Raid is what Kevin Sumlin is doing at A&M, and he beat Nick Saban on his first year here. You can't beat schools like LSU and Alabama trying to out recruit them. You have to look for other advantages.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

Hello Towel posted:

More coming out about Kevin Wilson. If anyone still doubted he should be fired, this should put it to rest.

Speaking of successful coaches hitting kids, is Jim Leavitt ever going to get a shot at head coaching again? I'm kind of shocked that he's even back as DC and that there seems to be no controversy over it.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

Spintzel posted:

In actual Coaching Carousel news. Looks like Canada as OC at LSU is finalized

They've moved from hiring Pitt HCs to merely assistants. Progress!

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

As a UConn fan, I'm a bit surprised about Diaco's firing but it's hard to argue in favor of his record. He did, however have to contend with a team that had been absolutely ruined with a disastrous hire of retread Paul Pasqualoni. Storrs, Connecticut is also not a great location to make a great football team, so it's not like we can expect to win the American every other year. Frankly, this experiment of FBS UConn football may not be too feasible if the power FBS conferences keeps consolidating, especially if the ACC insists on acquiescing to Boston College's demand to shut UConn out of the conference.

Joe Moorhead would be great hire, but if he's unavailable I would be intrigued to look at an unconventional option like Jeff Monken, who has succeeded in tough areas before (does it get tougher than Army?) and brings a unique offense that might get UConn a few upsets.

I also haven't looked into Andrew Breiner, HC at Fordham. He's young and offensive-minded.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

MourningView posted:

Fiesta and that team was only like 8-5. The Big East was just trash. It's like wanting to hire Zook because he bumbled into a Rose Bowl.

It took some very lucky fumbles and an undeserved autobid. That being said, what makes me more nervous about the Edsall option is, how often is the second stint of a coach as good as the first?

Edit: That team also had Joe Moorhead and Todd Orlando as OC and DC, I would rather try and get one of them first, given their subsequent careers.

Democrazy fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Dec 26, 2016

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

DJExile posted:

Brett McMurphy saying Edsall is a strong candidate to go back to UConn

I would just like to point out that Edsall's tenure at UConn was better than Greg Schiano's tenure at Rutgers, including overall win percentage, conference win percentage, and conference titles.

Edit: And Edsall has the job, per the Hartford Courant.

Democrazy fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Dec 28, 2016

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

DJExile posted:

There is basically no way UConn is ever going to make a splashy hire in football. Their stadium is 25 miles from campus, they're at the bottom of the best G5 conference, and the program is basically in permanent 3rd banana status behind both of the basketball teams.

Bob Diaco was our last splashy hire. UConn and splashy don't mix.

I'm tentatively hopeful for the second Edsall era. I'm nervous because his staff during his last time around was pretty great, and it'll be hard to replicate that. He's also in a conference that is less conservative and more diverse than the old Big East. But he also has the skills to bring back the program, even if that means nothing realistically more than 8 wins at a great year.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

Korranus posted:

That's how all coaching gigs work in the American. Do alright for a couple of years, beat a P5 or four, get poached.

If his offense works well up there his floor should be third in the AAC East. His closest competition in a two year stay should be USF until they show otherwise and UCF until Nebraska poaches Scott Frost.

It's an interesting turn, given that Edsall was a pretty straight pro-style type guy, same with almost every Northeast program. Lashlee opens up the door to use The American's wide geographic profile to UConn's advantage for the first time. Of course, almost all this will have to be done by assistant coaches, since Randy don't recruit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

In UConn news, Randy Edsall has hired Billy Crocker, the DC at Villanova, for the same position at UConn. Crocker runs a 3-3-5.

Between this and the Rhett Lashlee hire, this Edsall tenure is gonna be... different. Not sure what to make of it yet, but it will require a full 4 years I think.

• Locked thread