Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Da Coach O gonna teachum boyos hows ta respecks da womenz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Considering the NCAA specifically went hard on USC for hiring someone out of Pete Carroll's coaching tree, keeping Briles' staff seems like a really bad idea.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide
The question is, what even are Georgia Tech's expectations? Two years ago he had a triple option team playing in the conference championship. This year they were dismal but still somehow won some games they shouldn't have. Is that as good or better than constantly going 7-8 wins and making a bowl, or do they fire him for being inconsistent?

It's a soul-searching question to me--would you rather be consistent but not contending like late Frank Beamer or potentially whip back and forth like, I dunno, Auburn

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide
Lane demands all his usurpers be brought in to be his personal servants before he'll consider an extension

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide

Spintzel posted:

Does Kiffin still get paid out the rear end from USC like Coach O does?

Yep! Alabama has barely paid him at all. Last year Alabama paid him 680k of the 3.4 million he earned as their OC.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide
Has Kentucky broken 100 passing yards since they blamed their struggles on last year's OC (who is destroying everybody at Southern Miss)?

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide
Jared Lorenzen said he wanted a change after last night

He gone

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide

Pakled posted:

lol, Jared Lorenzen still has pull with the program?

It's more that he's the most noteworthy and supportive fan of the team and even he's sick of this poo poo

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide

Former Everything posted:

This is demonstrably untrue. He only came back around the program after Patrick Towles was named the starter (he coached Towles in HS and they both played for Highlands) after basically ignoring or making lovely comments about the program under most of the Brooks and Joker Phillips years. He began a t-shirt company to sell UK fans t-shirts in an attempt to capitalize on increased fan support for football when he began commenting/doing pre-game/doing the 4th Quarter thing.

When Towels announced the day after the UL loss that he would be transferring, Lorenzen began making GBS threads on everything UK football and subsequently was removed from his 4th down tradition at Commonwealth Stadium.

There are lots of people sick of this poo poo, but Lorenzen is far from the most noteworthy or supportive fan of UK football.

Huh, guess I was confused because I only became aware of his actions again when he started showing up to their games and stuff.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide
I'm legit kind of scared of Interim Coach Orgeron at LSU

he had USC playing like maniacs

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide
Why the gently caress has Art Briles not even smelled the start of a show cause

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide

Pakled posted:

Saban to Texas was a fun time.

as if saban would tolerate a plane route that wasn't a straight line

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide

Thermos H Christ posted:

Not that I'm inclined to trust Steve Patterson on anything, but here's his version of the entire thing:

e: I guess if you do a little reading between the lines, you could convince yourself that Saban was possibly open to Texas but Steve Patterson killed any chance of it happening by being an rear end in a top hat.

or you can read it as jimmy sexton doesn't even need you to actually be pursuing his clients to use you to get them a raise

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide
Brian Kelly wouldn't let his ubertalented team stop trying to throw against the full might of Poseidon, he deserves to get canned

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide
Bo Pelini would be really, really fun at purdue

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide

A.o.D. posted:

I believe that he'd get exposed as a fraud against Saban.

Yeah Kelly's system has like 3 or 4 base plays which are basically chosen by algorithm, you can't be that predictable against a saban defense

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide
Kiffins offense is rad because it's like he cooked up something that tastes like triple option from totally different ingredients

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide

punched my v-card at camp posted:

He could definitely hold out for a P5 job, but personally I'd love to see if he could get something interesting going in Fresno. It's not a sleeping giant by any means, but I could see Kiffin turning it into a regular contender for the G5 New Years spot solely because of how abysmal the MWC West Division is outside SDSU and the amount of talent floating around California. Although he couldn't get it done at USC, so who knows.

he only had like half the regular scholarship players at USC

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide
Butch has also somehow been offering like 33 scholarships a year for five years straight it's not like he hasn't had a chance to reload

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide

John Harbaugh?

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide
I wish I could have watched 2014 bama against pac 12 defenses

or even just blake sims with our current receiver corps (aka more than one guy that is really good)

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide

Pakled posted:

It's still funny to me that every year, someone in the SEC West will be getting paid at least $4 million to come last in the division.

Every team that plays alabama is a paycheck game

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide
It would be insanely stupid of LSU to openly court another coach during Orgeron's last few games if they don't want the whole class to evaporate and the team to quit

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide

big money big clit posted:

I mean, they weren't recruited on the assumption that Orgeron was going to be their coach, so I'm not sure why it would matter if it becomes obvious that he's not. And the season is effectively over anyway, all that's left to play for is a middling bowl game.

guess who is in charge of recruiting them right now

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide

MourningView posted:

already mad about kiffin getting hired by like kentucky or some poo poo and kliff taking the Bama oc job

there would be two branches of the saban coaching tree: the large adult sons and the handsome young lads

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide

swickles posted:

Maybe Nuss will go to Purdue or BC or something.

Nuss has Les Miles OC written all over him

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide
I really gotta send Jimmy Sexton my resume

Even if he's not hiring maybe he'll con my boss into doubling my salary on a lark

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide
does LSU's AD not bother coming to work unless it's a game with cameras around

is that why all their decisions are announced midgame

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide
Herman unhired during third quarter, Orgeron retained, fired next year during the auburn game

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide

It's not a done deal, but LSU is prepared to make a hire on Saturday while Texas will still be waiting to play and decide if they want to fire their coach. That's a pretty serious advantage and obviously things have progressed pretty far if we're seeing these reports.

again though, these are the same reports that said strong was fired to begin with

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide

Frinkahedron posted:

has hideo confirmed this

it's only the parts about johnny

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide
it's a shame that the ole miss stuff is still such an albatross around Coach O's neck when both head stints he's had since then he's surpassed the conference wins he had there in a single year. He's clearly a different guy now. Much worse coaches have had more chances than people seem willing to give him.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide

I don't understand why everyone keeps acting like being handed a team full of talent midway through the season is the same as being in charge of a program year round.

Nobody does but Orgeron has a high floor with the offseason stuff. He was recruiter of the year like twice already.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide

an adult beverage posted:

Watching this Memphis game and I don't know that I would be so eager to hand over the keys to the Ferrari to Herman.

it's not a ferrari it's a hummah

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide
The Non-Orgerons, at this moment:

1) Tom Herman: apparently didn't figure memphis was worth practicing for
2) Jimbo Fisher: reportedly turned down LSU already
3) Larry Fedora: NC State!!!!!

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide
goddamn he actually did it

it's probably really good for him that they set a scoring record the last game. Thanks Sumlin!

Also: You can have Jose Aquafresco over my dead body. But then we do have Sark just for this kind of scenario.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide

Silly Burrito posted:

Is O's friendship with Kiffin that tight that he'd leave Bama to be with O? I keep hearing that it is but what do I know.

O and Kiffin are really tight, and Kiffin would probably just be allowed to do whatever the gently caress he wanted instead of having Papa Sabes screaming at him to run the ball every 10 downs or so.

also Kiffin might get a higher salary than Orgeron if LSU thinks that's what it takes to get a functioning QB.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide

Daric posted:

It's not actually all that butt hurt. I've had pretty inside access to the organization for a while since my family has been boosters and working in the athletics department. Herman's public persona is all about love and relationships but in reality he's very shady and has straight up lied to my face about things that didn't need to be lied about.

No one in the organization is really all that sorry to see him go. He brought us some wins and a little national relevance but we'd rather have an actual good character guy like Strong.

Are you performing a seance for the Miami Dolphins when Saban ditched them

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide

Spintzel posted:

2nd most successful! We had Saban once

a lot of LSU fans call Les their best coach ever because he had the most wins or the highest percentage. It really doesn't take into context the state of the program when each took over but it's technically accurate and they don't want to talk about Saban. IMO it's... kinda sad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide

Ehud posted:

thanks for reminding me of the worst era of my life

see the problem was really that you weren't blaming Muschamp for ENOUGH of your pain

• Locked thread