Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

pillsburysoldier posted:

So uh, Alabama hiring Steve Sarkisian?

Is there a reason why Nick Saban hates USC so much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Brian Kelly? 2-4 and apparently firing your defensive coordinator doesn't stop you from calling a lot of passes in a hurricane

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

MourningView posted:

That was a badly coached game and they're having an awful season but firing Brian Kelly would be extremely stupid. So hopefully they do it!

I think it would be an overreaction but not confident about that since haven't really watched any of their games to know what's wrong.

But I mean the rest of their schedule is:

Stanford
Miami
@Navy
Army
Virginia Tech
@USC

They're going to be underdogs in all of those games except for Army and it's kinda tough to see them getting more than two wins out of those 6 games. Can Notre Dame keeps a guy who loses 7+ games?

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
On the other hand while it's easy to spend other people's money, an extra $20mio guaranteed or whatever LSU is willing to pay is hard to say no too.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Am I crazy or does Jimbo Fisher have the same record at FSU against an easier conference/division as Les Miles/Coach O have at LSU?

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Kim Jong Il posted:

I feel bad some times but then I look at Texas and realize that everyone is loving incompetent everywhere.

Also just shows some time you can make the best possible hire and still have it turn into a dumpster fire

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
That ain't your goddamned job, fat boy

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Jimbo's going to get a raise at FSU and that's that. Haven't we all lived through this scenario enough times to not get fooled?

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

quote:

Texas president Gregory Fenves' preference has been to keep Strong, sources told ESPN's Mark Schlabach, and the odds of Strong returning for a fourth season are expected to increase dramatically if Herman is no longer available. The Longhorns need to beat TCU on Friday to finish 6-6 and become bowl eligible.

Love it

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

https://twitter.com/SECNetwork/status/799066726230990848?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

pseudodragon posted:

What upside is there for Herman to say yes before Texas makes anything official?

It's not like LSU would pull any offer or give him a deadline. Even if he knows for sure he hates everything to do with UT, he can just stall for a bit and make an extra couple of bucks with added leverage.

What guarantee is there that Texas makes anything official any time soon?

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

pseudodragon posted:

And if Texas doesn't say anything by next week, take the LSU offer. He's like a million miles ahead of everyone else in terms of desirability. It's not like LSU will be like "thanks, but we don't want you anymore" if he calls to take the job on Monday instead of tomorrow.

That sounds like what he's doing? The reports say it will take until Saturday to sign anything

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Third in the AAC West, first in our hearts

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
It all comes full circle

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Charlie Strong fired

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
A lot of people can do it but it's also a pretty dick move.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Ahahahahaha

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Benne posted:

I bet he'll try to bigtime his way to an NFL job, it's a logical next step for Kelly.

I'm not sure what NFL team is trying to hire a dude who just went 4-8

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Tim Brewster: desirable coach is a weird development

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

MourningView posted:

usually people become head coaches because they were super good assistant coaches first

I had forgotten that he was a great college assistant because he'd been in the NFL for a few years before the Gophers randomly hired a freaking TE coach

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Why does it look like Derek Ponamsky is the guy interviewing for the job

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/mark_schlabach/status/804423651348992000

Doesn't sound good

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/D_D_Bass/status/805123990515843072

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
It would be shocking if Jim Harbaugh left after this season but his entire sense of self seems to be built on an insane level of competitiveness (and that's why Michigan fans love him) so I wouldn't put it past him to want to coach in the NFL again.

I just don't believe a guy who talks poo poo to Peyton Manning while trying to recruit him would be alright with getting fired and losing a Super Bowl to his brother of all people.

Also the Rams seem like a pretty good job with a ton of job security and a stacked young defense? Kroenke also probably wants to make some kind of splash especially with the Chargers moving to town soon and the Rams being a disaster this season.

Adun fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Dec 13, 2016

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Benne posted:

By that same token, why would he leave his alma mater having not beaten Ohio State?

As I said, it'd be a shock if he left this season but who knows, maybe Kroenke gives him a Belichick-style offer that he doesn't think he'll be able to get again

I mean Kroenke has gotta be pretty desperate to make sure this doesn't get any worse: http://thebiglead.com/2016/12/11/los-angeles-rams-already-cant-fill-their-stadium/

Adun fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Dec 13, 2016

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Kim Jong Il posted:

No New Jersey is great and Rutgers is great, Pennsylvania is horrible and needs to be exterminated.

Seconded. Well maybe not the 'great' part.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Why did someone Photoshop a hat onto Jim Harbaugh's wife

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
This thread is doing a great job of making Rutgers likable. Get in at the lows.

#ScarlerNation

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Fourth most famous is half of the Pats defense

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Anals of History posted:

Kiffin's going to end his career in Larry Brown territory for number of bridges burned.

I think George Karl is now the standard bearer for 'bridges burned'

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

This makes firing Claeys seem like a no brainer. Sounds like a disaster no matter what. Let whoever wants to transfer leave and give the new coach carte blanche to remake the program.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Pakled posted:

One day they're gonna separate the P5 and G5. Then they're gonna cut off the P5 bottom feeders. Eventually, top-level college football will be nothing but Ohio State and Alabama facing each other 15 times a year.

Orwell was right

• Locked thread