Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Has any other school gone half a century with only 2 coaches?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

kayakyakr posted:

Les Miles hasn't been fired yet?

They're 110th offensively overall. That's just silly

Funny you should mention that...

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

SeaborneClink posted:

No, if he took another job for $100k/mo ($1.2M/yr) LSU would only be on the hook to make up the $25k/mo difference.

Yeah, but it also means he could just work for a pittance and make LSU pay his salary. Literally any job he takes he's making a bare minimum of $1.25M/yr the next six years. He could just go work for the Youngstown State island of fired coaches, get paid minimum wage for a low stress job, and have LSU make up the 1.24M/yr difference.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

kayakyakr posted:

Houston is not getting a Big XII invite this year.

In fact stuff coming out recently indicates the Oklahoma board of regents aren't all on board with expansion and have told Boren to shut his mouth.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thermos H Christ posted:

Watch Charlie Strong win like 7-8 games and come within a hair of a co-championship in a terrible B12, followed by a booster uprising that causes him to get fired after a lot of infighting, leading to an epic PR disaster with Texas getting taken to task for being racist and mistreating Strong and having a totally dysfunctional political culture around the program, which in turn causes Herman to decide he doesn't want to step into the middle of that. Followed by a shitshow of a coaching search led by an embattled placeholder AD, culminating in the hire of Lane Kiffin for $10m a year after he initially turns us down.

Insha'Allah.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Gotta think somebody is going to try to get NDSU's coach this offseason, especially since he's kept it going at NDSU while Bohl has flailed at Wyoming. So it's easy to buy that he was the source of their success all along.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Purdue could consider a slightly used Paul Rhoads.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Bird in a Blender posted:

ISU always seems to pull of coaching hires that at least look good at first, and Purdue has more money, so they can probably find someone decent enough.

ISU at least has institutional and fan support though.

Which is actually more sad if you think about it for too long. ISU tries really hard to win and is terrible. Purdue doesn't care and is terrible.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

whiteyfats posted:

Serious question: Does Iowa have the population to have two middlin' to good teams?

No, especially since there's also an FCS power in the state as well.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

MourningView posted:

This would perhaps be relevant if Iowa and Iowa State were in the MAC or Conference USA.

Iowa having two power five conference teams is definitely a weird anarchism. Both got lucky in that the conferences they joined
100 years ago wound up being really successful. ISU obviously would almost certainly not be in a major conference if they were being drawn up again from scratch. Iowa probably would be since its historically a top 30 or so program but the market size would definitely be an issue. If you look at most of the surrounding states (Minnesota, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Missouri) all of them only have 1 FCS football program and most of those states have a better talent pool to pull from (significantly so in the case of Missouri).

There are other states like Oregon, Oklahoma, and Kansas that have similar populations and also support multiple teams. But in those cases the schools are in the same conference. As far as I can recall Iowa is the only state that both has small population and schools in multiple conferences.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Recruiting is such a big deal that I could see apprehension bringing someone up from lower than FCS since even a great gameday coach can't do poo poo if they can't recruit. And at D-III you basically just send form letters to anybody who makes honorable mention all conference or better.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Korranus posted:

I don't think that will happen since there are way too many middling P5s that will easily bet more than 3 million on Herman going back to being Tom F'n Herman.

But if it were to somehow not happen, the Houston AD isn't going to allow 6-6 or 7-5 seasons for long. Either Herman would have to eat some humble pie and go back to doing his job at UH, or he's going to end up on the hot seat. That 2.5 million dollar buyout goes both ways.

Houston had a lovely game after they found out they weren't getting in to the Big XII. It is probably a bit premature to declare Herman dead.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Strong fired per twitter.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

DJExile posted:

HAWKINS IS BACK MOTHER FUCKERS

Florida Intramurals University?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
So what are they gonna do if Texas beats TCU and becomes bowl eligible? Just have Strong hang out there twisting in the wind for another month?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

That Works posted:

I guess you could, and that would be better than... this. But all the same, just cut and move on. He knows he's done.

There's only one game left, it honestly would probably be better for the mood in the locker room and for game prep if they made a "he's gone at the end of the season but will coach this week" announcement.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

big juicy nectarine posted:

You realize Charlie Strong knew some pretty big success at schools from both a head coaching and assistant position before he came to Texas, right?

Maybe, uh, the problem really is Texas.

I think Charlie Strong is overall a pretty good coach who has done a poo poo job coaching Texas.

A big part of the reason coaching hires are always a roll of the dice is because different schools require different skillsets. So a coach that was extremely successful in one environment can fall on their face in a different one.

Texas needs a Saban-type coach. Somebody who can focus a bunch of five stars and keep the ones on the bench satisfied that they are developing and their time will come once the whole senior class gets drafted. That's a different skillet than what Strong needed at Louisville.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Daric posted:

Lotta reports coming out about how shadily Tom Herman handled this whole situation. Apparently reneged on a handshake deal he had with LSU so that's why they pulled their offer. Also had actually talked to LSU before the game on Friday and lied to that reporter about it on national tv.

To be honest none of that seems particularly shady for the industry.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Nebraska can still suck it and I'll probably still feel that way in 20 years.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

New Jersey is like the arm pit of America and going to school at WVU with roughly 4k Rutgers rejects has made me loving hate the state with a burning passion. Moving to the Big Ten was prolly a good move for all the money, but Rutgers pretty much doomed themselves to never being able to win more than 7/8 games ever.

But enough about their basketball team...

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I'm just glad someone other than me is willing to take on the mantle of worst poster.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

ReebTop posted:

I realize the hypocrisy in this, but that's why I enjoy it. When all the talking heads want to talk about is how Alabama could easily crush any team that has ever played football, by dint of being on top of the SEC, I just want to see them lose. And, when your team doesn't smell the postseason, well...gotta have some reason to get invested in games.

S'up hatewatching buddy.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

swickles posted:

SMU has shown us that a death penalty for even one year wrecks a program beyond repair for decades. I know this isn't a death penalty, but if everyone does indeed transfer, it would be a de facto death penalty.

At the end of the they'll probably have a poor recruiting class but I'd be surprised if even half a dozen transfer.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Henchman of Santa posted:

He's mad that they fired his Large Son

Has anyone made a "Never talk to me or my son ever again" thing with Kill and Claeys yet?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

DJExile posted:

Sure but he was in the conversation for a lot bigger jobs than minnesota

That might be why they are giving him $3.5 million a year if the $21/6 rumor is correct.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Here lies Greg Davis, he never got a first down.

https://twitter.com/MarkEmmert/status/817466293976698881

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Dilber posted:

oh my god, houston hired Mark Dnofrio as Defensive coordinator.

It must be super depressing to have somebody accentuate your manboobs in a photoshop.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jan 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

DJExile posted:

Iowa State has extended AD Jamie Pollard's contract through 2024.

Terrible coaching hires of guys that go to his church to continue for another 7 years.

• Locked thread